Satuk Boat Race Festival 1st And 2nd November

gondarman

Hello Sponsors, Spectators and Athletes.

Get your wallets, voices, banners and bodies ready for this years traditional Thai dragon boat racing on Mun River. Last year the exhibition races by 2 farang teams got a great reception from both the organising committee and the many thousands of spectators. The farang races were also broadcasted on 5 national TV stations. And of course the teams, sponsors and fans had a great time as well and were well taken care of by the organising committee.

Reason enough to participate again this year, For those who wanted to be a team member last year but still had a little fear, there is good news!!!!!!!! and reason to join this year.

Last year we were using the crew of 7, traditional Thai boats. Width based on average Thai bums, About 10 cm freeboard based on average Thai peoples weight. No need to tell you what happens when 7 of us try to board that vessel. With 5 of us per boat we still had to squeeze our bums in and use most of our energy only to stay afloat.

Therefore I joined together with sponsor Meuanfun Resort and have since then worked hard to build a brand new boat XXL farang size. Sorry I can not add a picture yet. The boat is still under construction (coating and painting) but will be ready in time for testing and training. This is not a boat. This is a ship. Unsinkable, wide and stable holding a crew of up to 10 XXXL farang.

That is why I am looking for new additional farang team members to join the crew. If you are of normal good health, and have 2 arms to paddle, you will qualify. So don't hesitate and PM me to register. We will train from the 28th of October almost every day and will race on the 1st and 2nd of November. No need to be a local to join the team. Meuanfun Resort will keep accomodation available for team members and/or spectators from afar.

For more information please PM me with your question.

Don't miss it, you will regret it if you do.

Cheers

Arthur J

post-17391-1224156419_thumb.jpg

Good luck in the race!

For those who wish to observe only and are closer to Ubon, the heua fai races and spectacle in Phibun Mangsahan will be on 21st and 22nd October. (According to the commentator for the races - don't shoot the messenger!).

Cheers,

Mike

Get your wallets, voices, banners and bodies ready for this years traditional Thai dragon boat racing on Mun River. Last year the exhibition races by 2 farang teams got a great reception from both the organising committee and the many thousands of spectators. The farang races were also broadcasted on 5 national TV stations. And of course the teams, sponsors and fans had a great time as well and were well taken care of by the organising committee.

Reason enough to participate again this year, For those who wanted to be a team member last year but still had a little fear, there is good news!!!!!!!! and reason to join this year.

Last year we were using the crew of 7, traditional Thai boats. Width based on average Thai bums, About 10 cm freeboard based on average Thai peoples weight. No need to tell you what happens when 7 of us try to board that vessel. With 5 of us per boat we still had to squeeze our bums in and use most of our energy only to stay afloat.

Therefore I joined together with sponsor Meuanfun Resort and have since then worked hard to build a brand new boat XXL farang size. Sorry I can not add a picture yet. The boat is still under construction (coating and painting) but will be ready in time for testing and training. This is not a boat. This is a ship. Unsinkable, wide and stable holding a crew of up to 10 XXXL farang.

That is why I am looking for new additional farang team members to join the crew. If you are of normal good health, and have 2 arms to paddle, you will qualify. So don't hesitate and PM me to register. We will train from the 28th of October almost every day and will race on the 1st and 2nd of November. No need to be a local to join the team. Meuanfun Resort will keep accomodation available for team members and/or spectators from afar.

Cheers

Arthur J

Hi Arthur

As an experienced dragon boat racer of note :o I would like to offer my services, but I warn you I don't come cheap! my retainer being at least 3 bottles of Archa and bouncers in attendance to restrain all the groupies and fans!

Also this time a life jacket that fits would be a bonus!

TBWG :D

Hi Arthur

As an experienced dragon boat racer of note :o I would like to offer my services, but I warn you I don't come cheap! my retainer being at least 3 bottles of Archa and bouncers in attendance to restrain all the groupies and fans!

Also this time a life jacket that fits would be a bonus!

Hi TBWG

Thanks we would love to have you join the team again. You are, as you said one of the most experienced racers, if it was only from watching the boats go by on Mea Nam Mun since you live almost on the river bank. I talked to the sponsor and your retainer will not be an object. As for your life jacket, when you see the ship and its buoyance you will likely feel so confident, that you will forget about all safety rules. Glad you will join we were and are counting on you.

Arthur :D

We are looking forward to photos of the new FARANG SIZE boat. I think all of us in Issan have given up on Safety except on a free T shirt from a building contractor. Here are photos from last year of a few Thai teams and three of the Farang crew members at the Mun "Moon" River Restaurant.

post-20604-1224395691_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1224395707_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1224395720_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1224395732_thumb.jpg

We are looking forward to photos of the new FARANG SIZE boat. I think all of us in Issan have given up on Safety except on a free T shirt from a building contractor. Here are photos from last year of a few Thai teams and three of the Farang crew members at the Mun "Moon" River Restaurant.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the pics. I told Arthur many times to post some but as always he thinks he is too busy for that. So thanks a lot, but what I am really looking forward to is your registration for the team membership. The 2 US guys who were in the team last year unfortunately are not around this year and it would be a pity if Uncle Sam would be left out. All our hopes are on you now. So please give me a call or come and see the new boat to boost your confidence. Or visit your neighbour, he will talk you into the boat. The boat is ready for painting now and I think by the end of the week I can post some pics of it in full glory.

Note with the pics,: Those elephants did not capsize they went in volutarily. I think that TBWG was running from camera to camera to become famous. He is in every one of them lol.

Cya

Meuanfun

post-59822-1224416951_thumb.jpg

post-59822-1224417214_thumb.jpg

post-59822-1224417430_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Arthur J

To show you that Arthur is really working hard to get the boat finished in time for testing and racing I send a few pictures of him and his local assistant Hamm. I took the pics in Arthur's workshop today.

post-59822-1224680364_thumb.jpg

post-59822-1224680549_thumb.jpg

post-59822-1224680693_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Arthur J

To show you that Arthur is really working hard to get the boat finished in time for testing and racing I send a few pictures of him and his local assistant Hamm. I took the pics in Arthur's workshop today.

Hi

I name this ship ....HMS unsinkable :o

Hi

Mmmmmm, is that a wise move?

HMS or USS :D

Dave

Hmmm maybe USS Enterprise II .... We boldly go etc

Typical US / UK discussion. Instead of worrying wheather it is unsinkable or not, they worry about HMS or USS. And after all it was built by a Dutchman, so what is your point guys?

Hi

Dave

Typical US / UK discussion. Instead of worrying wheather it is unsinkable or not, they worry about HMS or USS. And after all it was built by a Dutchman, so what is your point guys?

Its called humour (or humor) between friends

Any experience of it, meawnfun? :D

Hi

Dave

Its called humour (or humor) between friends

Any experience of it, meawnfun? :D

Plenty of experience with it. Just a pity you did not recognise my post as such.

Maybe lack of experience?

btw Sorry Meuanfun's original post was written by Gondarman. Did not notice I was not logged in myself until I had already posted.

I think I have a solution to this tricky situation!

Lets call it the Unsinkable Flying Dutchman 11 ...and conveniently ignore the fate of mk 1 :o

NO

I thunk a better idea to stop the nationalities squabling would be to refer to a country we all love.

ITS GOT TO BE....

THE THAI-TANIC

Dave(nothing remotely to do with the boat race or Satuk BTW)

Cheers

Arthur J

Is it possible for you to give driving directions from say, Surin town???

Thanks

Colin

Cheers

Arthur J

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

I usually head out of Surin on the 214(past Toyota,Honda,Izusu& Mitzu dealers) stay on road until Chom-pra, then do a left(row of shops on rightside), stay on road until it meets T junction with the 219.Left is Buriram(Satuk) airport and right takes you into Satuk town centre. Satuk is sign posted most of the way. I takes about 1 1/2 hours approx.

Dave

I think I have a solution to this tricky situation!

Lets call it the Unsinkable Flying Dutchman 11 ...and conveniently ignore the fate of mk 1 :o

So far we have been able to contract: a tall bloke with glasses, an Englishman with back pain, a German shopkeeper, a Dutch poolboy, an extremely fit German (compared with the rest of us that is) and a lepricorn. Heavy negotiations are going on with an Italian crack. We need a crew of 7 If you are the least bit tempted or know somebody who could be tempted, please let us know, so we can complete the team. We are planning to meet on Wednesday afternoon 29th October at the raft restaurant on Moon River. After the meeting and inspection of the ship there will be a first training. Already contracted athletes will get a personal invitation for the meeting. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Paddles up

Arthur

Cheers

Arthur J

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

I usually head out of Surin on the 214(past Toyota,Honda,Izusu& Mitzu dealers) stay on road until Chom-pra, then do a left(row of shops on rightside), stay on road until it meets T junction with the 219.Left is Buriram(Satuk) airport and right takes you into Satuk town centre. Satuk is sign posted most of the way. I takes about 1 1/2 hours approx.

Dave

Thanks for the directions....but I can't make it: getting in to Surin Nov 3..darn! But my wife is in town visiting her sick dad, and she is super fit..maybe..hee hee.

Cheers

Arthur J

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

Dave

Thanks for the directions....but I can't make it: getting in to Surin Nov 3..darn! But my wife is in town visiting her sick dad, and she is super fit..maybe..hee hee.

Here the Mueanfun II tested by a Thai professional crew. They were quite plesed with the way she behaves on the water. Only seats have to be lowered to make her a winner.

post-59822-1225344915_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Arthur J

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

Dave

Here the Mueanfun II tested by a Thai professional crew. They were quite plesed with the way she behaves on the water. Only seats have to be lowered to make her a winner.

And here is tested by Farang professional crew :o

post-59822-1225377638_thumb.jpg

post-59822-1225377723_thumb.jpg