1st Annual Extention Of Multi O (cnx) Help!

Hi guys and gals . . . .

I'm off to Mai Sai tomoorow to do a border run and it's

made me focus on the fact that I'm going to need to sort out

how to stay here next year!

I know this info is in here in various forms, I've had a look

around but can't find enough info to ease my mind!

I'm married to a Thai

Multi O issued in London 06 Dec 2007

Entered Thailand 04 Jan 2008

So far 1 x border run

1 x UK visit

Current stamp runs out 05 Nov 2008

Will get stamp tomorrow till 15th January?

Question 1: If I want to get another 3 month stamp before year 1 expires . . .

do I need to do this before

a: Visa issuing date is 1 year or

b: Enty into Thailand stamp date is 1 year?

Second question:

What date to I need to apply for an annual visa extension based on marriage to a Thai?

a: at the expiry date of the visa or

b: at the expiry date of the last stamp?

3rd question: If I don't want to prove income, can I

use the 400k in the bank option? There's a big sign at CNX imm

which implies that I can, but info on here (TV) seems inconsistant.

If I can't use that option, what other options are open to me

to get either 1 year extension with 90 day reporting (prefered)

or 1 year extension 90 day border runs (not preferred)

Many thanks for your patience . . .

David

Question 1: If I want to get another 3 month stamp before year 1 expires . . .

do I need to do this before

a: Visa issuing date is 1 year or This date.

b: Enty into Thailand stamp date is 1 year?

Second question:

What date to I need to apply for an annual visa extension based on marriage to a Thai?

a: at the expiry date of the visa or

b: at the expiry date of the last stamp? This date.

3rd question: If I don't want to prove income, can I

use the 400k in the bank option? There's a big sign at CNX imm Sign is out of date by over 2 years

which implies that I can, but info on here (TV) seems inconsistant. .

If I can't use that option, what other options are open to me

to get either 1 year extension with 90 day reporting (prefered)

or 1 year extension 90 day border runs (not preferred)

400 K option is only available if you applied for and have been on 1 year extensions before Sept. 2006. This is probably the inconsistency mentioned

The only option you have to get the one year extension is the ability to prove 40K income with letter from your consulate.

Or 40K income from you, your wife or a combination of the two for a period of three months proven by tax reciepts prior to date of applciation for the extension.

If you can't do the income then its a trip to Penang or KL for a new one year multi.

Edited by ubonjoe

Your Visa will have an expiry or use before date date on it. It should be around 6 Dec. O8. Do a Visa Run the day before and you will get another 90 days. This should give you until 5th March.

As Joe said, after that you need to prove a family income of 40,000 Baht a month to get a years extension. Some members report that their Wives pay Income Tax on a fictitious income of 40,000 a month to get the proof they need.

With your bank balance you should be able to get another Multy Entry O in KL or Penang.

Edited by Lite Beer

You have to work out how to declare the income and pay the tax with the local revenue office. You might need an accountant to help. One that does taxes for Thais should do the job. You can also declare income for yourself or do it jointly.

Take a look at the following website for the revenue department while you are waiting for an answer to your question.

Link: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Edit: Link to topic covering this http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pay-Taxes-Wo...p;hl=fictitious

Edited by ubonjoe

You have to work out how to declare the income and pay the tax with the local revenue office. You might need an accountant to help. One that does taxes for Thais should do the job. You can also declare income for yourself or do it jointly...

Tax receipts for a declared fictitious income are acceptable for an extension stay only if they are for tax paid by the Thai wife. The foreign husband cannot use this route of fictitious income for himself as the immigration office would in this case also want to his work permit, which he does not have. I saw this mentioned in a recent post.

Tax payments by the Thai wife on a fictitious income seems to be a simple procedure for which no accountant is needed.

--

Maestro

Plan to apply in the last month of your entry stamp,

February, if you milk the last entry as Lite Beer suggested.

As long as you have all the correct papers you will get an 'Under Consideration"

stamp, usually for one month. At the end of that one month you go back to Immigration

for another "Under Consideration" stamp or if all has been approved you will get the

one year extension.

Good Luck

You have to work out how to declare the income and pay the tax with the local revenue office. You might need an accountant to help. One that does taxes for Thais should do the job. You can also declare income for yourself or do it jointly...

Tax receipts for a declared fictitious income are acceptable for an extension stay only if they are for tax paid by the Thai wife. The foreign husband cannot use this route of fictitious income for himself as the immigration office would in this case also want to his work permit, which he does not have. I saw this mentioned in a recent post.

Tax payments by the Thai wife on a fictitious income seems to be a simple procedure for which no accountant is needed.

--

Maestro

Simple it may be, but there is still a procedure . . . .

Anyone care to elucidate on it?

thanks

David

Hi David,

Last year I extended my 'o'visa based on marriage to a Thai woman.

We (She) have a couple of salons which provide a very small income which is less than 40,000baht per month.

We went to the local tax office and my wife filled out a form to say that we wanted to pay tax on an income of 40,000 baht from her salons. I think we showed a business card and gave addresses of the salons, as proof. They then calculated the amount of tax we had to pay for the year, which was 2600 baht. We paid the tax and then used the reciept as proof of income to immigration.

No accountant was used.

Hope this helps.

Edited by jaiyenyen

Hi David,

Last year I extended my 'o'visa based on marriage to a Thai woman.

We (She) have a couple of salons which provide a very small income which is less than 40,000baht per month.

We went to the local tax office and my wife filled out a form to say that we wanted to pay tax on an income of 40,000 baht from her salons. I think we showed a business card and gave addresses of the salons, as proof. They then calculated the amount of tax we had to pay for the year, which was 2600 baht. We paid the tax and then used the reciept as proof of income to immigration.

No accountant was used.

Hope this helps.

So . . . what to do if not the owner of a salon or two . . . or any other business in Thailand?

D

(Is there a nought missing . . .26,000 not 2,600?)

David

Obviously the tax office information is no good if your wife has no business, but I was just giving you the proceedure, which, I believe is what you asked for.

No, no noughts missing, 2600 baht. I couldn't believe it either.

The 2600 number could be right. It depends on the allowances, deductions and etc. taken. You only pay tax on net income over 150K.

Take a look at revenue department website at link I gave earlier. You should be able to do a rough number from info on that page.

Here is link again.

It can be any income.

Also if you have any money that comes in from outside the country it can be used. It could be proven by a bank book that shows a transfer to the account (even money gram or western union transfers could be used). You are subject to taxation on income earned outside Thailand if you are here more than 180 days in a year.

I have just spoken to my wife, and she says that she gave no proof of the business, (Although she does genuinly have them) She just told them what the business was and how much profit there was each month (40,000 baht). They did the calculations and we paid the money. I then used the reciept as proof of income at the immigration office.

So presumably, it would be possible to get proof of income without a business. It seems the Thai government are more interested in getting a few baht in their bank than keeping out farang.

I have just spoken to my wife, and she says that she gave no proof of the business, (Although she does genuinly have them) She just told them what the business was and how much profit there was each month (40,000 baht). They did the calculations and we paid the money. I then used the reciept as proof of income at the immigration office. So presumably, it would be possible to get proof of income without a business. It seems the Thai government are more interested in getting a few baht in their bank than keeping out farang.

Thanks for both your posts.

If all the revenue offices are that helplfull then it could be easy. The reason I suggested an accountant was to help figure out all the different deductions/allowances.

From your posts it looks like your wife did an annual declaration of income. From what I have read that is the only way it can be done unless actually working for a company.

I plan on going that route for my next extension because I want to start to show tax paid income for a future permanent residence application.

Also if tax is only 2600 baht ( or up to 10k) that is cheaper and easier than making a trip to the consulate in Bangkok for the income paper.

Thanks again

Joe

If all the revenue offices are that helplfull then it could be easy. The reason I suggested an accountant was to help figure out all the different deductions/allowances.

From your posts it looks like your wife did an annual declaration of income. From what I have read that is the only way it can be done unless actually working for a company.

I plan on going that route for my next extension because I want to start to show tax paid income for a future permanent residence application.

Also if tax is only 2600 baht ( or up to 10k) that is cheaper and easier than making a trip to the consulate in Bangkok for the income paper.

Thanks again

Joe

Hi

I would agree with using an accountant here in Surin.

Our revenue office staff cannot seem to combrehend we want to pay MORE for a higher than average income for our (genuine) mini-mart & salon.

It seems everybody in this poor area pays 500b per tax half year and thats all they understand. :o

Whilst this is not good news, I just thought I would throw it 'in the pot' for consideration.

Dave

It can be any income.

Also if you have any money that comes in from outside the country it can be used. It could be proven by a bank book that shows a transfer to the account (even money gram or western union transfers could be used). You are subject to taxation on income earned outside Thailand if you are here more than 180 days in a year.

UbonJoe: Am I reading the underlined part out of context, or are you really saying that all of us who live here have to pay tax in Thailand on any income earned outside if here more than 180 days? If that is what you are saying, I haven't heard anything about that requirement. Years ago we all used to have to get a "tax stamp" from the local amphur if we were here for more than 180 days (or maybe it was 90 days?), but I don't remember that being based on income, just that we paid something like 1,900 baht for the tax stamp based on time here not income from outside. Luckily that was stopped many years ago. Clear this up for me if you don't mind. TIA

"Am I reading the underlined part out of context, or are you really saying that all of us who live here have to pay tax in Thailand on any income earned outside if here more than 180 days?"

That would depend on the country in which you earn your income. My own country has for instance a tax treaty with Thailand and I only pay taxes over my income in my own country.

1. Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

That web page of the Revenue Department does not mention something that I have read in several posts on ThaiVisa, ie that when a foreigner living in Thailand brings foreign-earned income into Thailand it is considered assessable income for Thai tax purposes only if the remittances to Thailand are made during the same year as the income is earned. Does anyone have a link to this information?

--

Maestro

I have just spoken to my wife, and she says that she gave no proof of the business, (Although she does genuinly have them) She just told them what the business was and how much profit there was each month (40,000 baht)...

I suspect that the 40,000 per month is not profit but gross revenue (turnover) and that your wife’s business is in the form of a sole proprietorship. This would explain the low personal income tax payment of 2,600 Baht for the whole year.

--

Maestro

...If all the revenue offices are that helplfull then it could be easy. The reason I suggested an accountant was to help figure out all the different deductions/allowances.

I’m not sure if that can work, if a foreigner can own a sole proprietorship – except perhaps a US citizen under the Amity Treaty – and the sole proprietorship can then sponsor a work permit for the foreign owner, and what the requirements would be. Hopefully, somebody who has gone this route will post his experience. It would probably be of interest to a number of members.

--

Maestro

Going the Thai Wife Tax way . . . .

does anyone ask any questions?

D

Sorry but you will have to wait for someone who has done this.

I think the tax is around 2,500 Baht a month.

Going the TW tax way is the least scrutinised of all IMO. This is what I did this year, for my yearly extension, just to test the waters.

The tax forms were all photocopies, and the immigration officer only gave them a cursory glance. Apart from waiting nearly five hours in the queue, the actual time making the application for the extension was only a few minutes compared with long and tedious checking of documents in previous years when using the 400k option.

With child deductions, on top of all the other deductions, tax paid for the year on 480k income was 6000B, or 500B per month.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

...With child deductions, on top of all the other deductions, tax paid for the year on 480k income was 6000B, or 500B per month.

That looks good, a lot better than the 2,000 Baht per month I have seen mentioned in other posts, but as you say it depends on the deductions that can be made. For others interested in this, higher up in this thread ubonjoe gave a link to the web page on the site of the Revenue Department that allows calculation of the income tax:

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

--

Maestro

I have a question about this deduction:

Life insurance premium paid by taxpayer or spouse

Amount actually paid but not exceeding 100,000 baht each

I wonder if this includes premiums paid to an insurance company outside Thailand. Soundman, do you have any experience with this?

--

Maestro