Several Visa Questions, Please Help Me

21 - USA - Currently in Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa, entered on October 9th.

Hey everyone, thanks for the help in advance!

Here are my questions... I am planning on staying here in Thailand until April 1st, aprox. 6 months. As far as I knew I would be able to make border runs in order to get new visas when the old one was about to expire. Yesterday I was talking with another person here in thailand who told me that after 90 days you have to go back to your home country?! I don't really trust this information, so I decided I better check with all of you before I go and change my flight. So, my question is, am I able to stay until April 1 by doing the border runs?

Next question, I am in the process of working on a fiance visa, but I wanted to give my fiance the chance to have a wedding with her family before she left. We are planning on having one next month but without any paperwork, so just a ceremony and we still would not be technically married. This person I don't really trust or know told me that I could get in trouble for doing this and they would throw my whole fiance visa case out and fine me and even jail time?! We talked with the people here in Thailand that are helping us with her paperwork and they told us that having a wedding without the paperwork is no problem. Anyone know the facts on this one?

So, recap....

What do I do with my visa?

What do I do with the wedding?

Thanks again for the help!!!

If you are here on 30 day visa waivers, once you have used up the 90 days permissible in a 6 month period, you will not get entry back into Thailand again for a period of three months. This being said, you can travel to another local country, not just your own country and get a proper tourist visa, ie a 60 day and extend in country for another 30 days, this will get you your 6 months..

It appears at present you are doing visa waivers and havent had a visa up to now...

On your wedding....if you just do the buddist ceremony and dont get "legally" married in Thailand, this is not a recognised marriage for the purposes of a visa to another country, but you have mentioned you are applying for a fiance visa and not a married visa, so wouldnt have thought this would be problem and impact your fiancee visa application..

If you are on a 30 day visa exempt entry the most you can stay is 90 days in 6 months starting on your first entry.

You should go to a consulate and get a 2 entry tourist visa. A tourist visa is good for 60 days for each entry plus each entry can be extended for 30 days at immigration. So a 2 entry visa would give you a total of six months with a border run 90 days after first entry.

I would suggest going to Vientiane Laos for the tourist visa. Take your fiance along she could help with the language barrier and might enjoy the trip also.

No problem getting married here as long as it is not registered at the district office. This is a common topic on the "Visas and migration to other countries" forum. This forum would be helpful for any other questions you have on the fiance visa process.

Good Luck

Joe

If you are on a 30 day visa exempt entry the most you can stay is 90 days in 6 months starting on your first entry.

You should go to a consulate and get a 2 entry tourist visa. A tourist visa is good for 60 days for each entry plus each entry can be extended for 30 days at immigration. So a 2 entry visa would give you a total of six months with a border run 90 days after first entry.

I would suggest going to Vientiane Laos for the tourist visa. Take your fiance along she could help with the language barrier and might enjoy the trip also.

No problem getting married here as long as it is not registered at the district office. This is a common topic on the "Visas and migration to other countries" forum. This forum would be helpful for any other questions you have on the fiance visa process.

Good Luck

Joe

Hey Joe, thanks for the help! So, let me make sure I understand this correctly, I do not have a 30 day visa exempt entry, correct? I have a 60 day single entry tourist visa that can be extended 30 days in Bangkok, and then a trip to Laos after 90 days to get a new visa? Is this what I need to do? What is the best way to get to Vientiane? (I am in Nakhon Sawan) Thanks again!

Hey Joe, thanks for the help! So, let me make sure I understand this correctly, I do not have a 30 day visa exempt entry, correct? I have a 60 day single entry tourist visa that can be extended 30 days in Bangkok, and then a trip to Laos after 90 days to get a new visa? Is this what I need to do? What is the best way to get to Vientiane? (I am in Nakhon Sawan) Thanks again!

You can extend your stay at the nearest immigration office to you.

Yes this is what you need do. And when you go to Vientiane get a 2 entry visa.

To Vientiane a bus is probably best option from where you are at unless you have your own transportation.

Joe

Edited by ubonjoe