Serviced Apartment Or Rented Accommodation

seank

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Bangkok in a few weeks for 9month to a year. Its for a job but I have to pay for my own accommodation.

It looks like getting a serviced apartment is around 12500bt more a month than just renting.

Is it worth my whole renting a place and having to deal with the bills (Electric ,water, tv, wi-fi, phone) or should I pay the extra and stay in the serviced apartment?

For those living in Bangkok, which would you prefer?

If someone has already asked this question, just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sean

See if you can get a 6 month lease then extend one month at a time. Watch electric and water costs in both types of places. Electric is about 3.25 baht a unit, not Bt8 or more !!!! This rip off alone can add Bt5000 a month to your bills.

Thanks Torrenova, that does put a different slant on the monthly calculations. I think I will stay in a serviced apartment for the first month and get to know the city first before deciding.

Also I can charge it to my credit card.

Sorry to hear about you sleepwalking issue Masterofdisaster. Unfortunately I scrolled away and couldn’t find the tread you mentioned.

See if you can get a 6 month lease then extend one month at a time. Watch electric and water costs in both types of places. Electric is about 3.25 baht a unit, not Bt8 or more !!!! This rip off alone can add Bt5000 a month to your bills.

5000? That's pushing it a bit! Water's next to nothing, electricity can be too, unless you run the AC all night and day. If you're in a condo you're not going to have bills anywhere near that high, even at 8b/unit. Most are 5b anyway.

I'm not really sure what you're asking for here - you should be more specific in terms of size, location, budget etc. I'd imagine most people have a condo in serviced apartments blocks that range from 2,500 to sky's the limit - it all depends on how you want to live. Many of the more budget choices will charge you for the room, then add on extras for things like electricity, water, cable, internet and cleaning. These shouldn't be all that expensive, but again, that depends on where you start out from. It is perfectly possible to get a reasonable place for 15k, with all bills included.

Hi Super Hans,

I want to stay someplace reasonable nice and close to work so this is what I found out so far from surfing the net. But of course this info is all from websites and I can’t tell what’s what till I get there and visit the places (be there next week). Hence looking for some advice.

But what I read few treads about wi-fi not working, electric and water bills exurbanite, roaches and mice sharing the apartment. In fact there are a few horror stories floating around and I don’t want to be stuck with a 9month lease in a hellhole.

My preferences are.

Size- Maybe 50sq meters

Type:1 bedroom apartment in nice complex.

Serviced apartment (all in) seems to be 45000bt

Similar rented properties: seem to be 325000bt

But I really just wanted to get some thoughts on the idea of staying in a serviced apartment and paying theh extra bt compared to a rented accommodation with that might entail (or not ,I don’t know!)

Cheers

Sean

Hi everyone,

Is it worth my whole renting a place and having to deal with the bills (Electric ,water, tv, wi-fi, phone) or should I pay the extra and stay in the serviced apartment?

For those living in Bangkok, which would you prefer?

Non serviced apartments I have lived in give you an itemized bill that includes rent, electric, water, cable, etc., so you pay all at one time. Not a big problem.

5000? That's pushing it a bit! Water's next to nothing, electricity can be too, unless you run the AC all night and day. If you're in a condo you're not going to have bills anywhere near that high, even at 8b/unit. Most are 5b anyway.

A lot of people do run the air con day and night. Thailand is too hot for me and many others, if I'm in my apartment, the air con is on. Plus 2 computers that are never turned off, tv, fridge, cooking, etc, and 5000 baht per month would be a normal. So the unit charge can really add up if you're paying a high rate.

I was paying 15,000b a month for a serviced apartment, had a cleaner come round once a week, electric at 5b a unit and water at a flat fee of 300b per person. My leccy bill usually came out around 3,000b pcm - but then i would run the Computer 24/7, TV and Desk Fan all evening and AC all night... so i wasn't too worried about the bill. The apartment was near the Chong Nonsi BTS station (2-3mins Motorbike taxi ride away) so it felt close enough to 'town' for me. Unfortunately they only do a 12 month contract so it wont be much use to you, but this price-range of apartment can be found, just have to look around a bit. Most of the stuff you find on the internet will be over priced really.

Hi Super Hans,

I want to stay someplace reasonable nice and close to work so this is what I found out so far from surfing the net. But of course this info is all from websites and I can’t tell what’s what till I get there and visit the places (be there next week). Hence looking for some advice.

But what I read few treads about wi-fi not working, electric and water bills exurbanite, roaches and mice sharing the apartment. In fact there are a few horror stories floating around and I don’t want to be stuck with a 9month lease in a hellhole.

My preferences are.

Size- Maybe 50sq meters

Type:1 bedroom apartment in nice complex.

Serviced apartment (all in) seems to be 45000bt

Similar rented properties: seem to be 325000bt

But I really just wanted to get some thoughts on the idea of staying in a serviced apartment and paying theh extra bt compared to a rented accommodation with that might entail (or not ,I don’t know!)

Cheers

Sean

Places that will let you stay shorter term, in say, 3 months increments, would usually be mansions and will put a considerable markup on water, phone and electricity.

That way, water, elec, phone and Internet can easily go 6000B + a month. Same size unit, altogether, direct billing it's all less than 2500B.

Places that would let you pay utilities directly would usually ask for 1 year contract, 2 months deposit.

Try this place, I was renting in the Sukhumvit + building (on BTS Phrakhanong), the agency has their office at the ground floor of the building, no price difference from window and Internet.

They have 43sqm 1 BR for 20,000B + direct utilities and studios 34sqm 15,000B + direct utilities. Furnished.

Prices may be higher for higher floors or orientation but my unit was 20K and I saw studios for 15K.

If you want it "serviced" in terms of cleaning only, any of dozens of cleaners in the building would be happy to do it for a fee after 4pm.

General site:

Agency

Page with Sukhumvit + offer:

Sukumvit + Building, Phrakhanong BTS

Thanks for the weblink and info Think_too_mut

I didn’t know a serviced apartment could cost so little so thanks for your post Wolfie.

The information everyone posted is exactly what I needed so thank you all for that and will keep a close eye on those utility bills.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have opted for a serviced apartment as I can put everything on my visa and dont have to put down any deposit so if I want to move in a month or two there will be no problems.

Thanks for all the replies.