Iridium Plugs In Thailand

xr399

Heard lots of things about iridium plugs.....mostly bad unless you are prepared to change them very frequently. Still, on a single cylinder bike, a lot less to fork out. Nonetheless, I recommend you do a google search on them first and get clued up before you decide to use them.

Spark plugs can't increase the potential power that an engine can generate but a more efficient spark will provide more efficient combustion.

A poor spark from a worn or low grade spark plug will reduce efficiency. An iridium plug will produce a more efficient spark.

But so will normal new or well adjusted plug !!

The spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated at the tiny iridium tip so less "spark jump" voltage is required. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on that system.

If you have an ignition system which has a problem with the "voltage" than an iridium tipped plug may help, it has less resistance so a higher arc over is possible .

The plugs will show a performance improvement only if you have a weak ignition, IMHO.

But if you have a weak ignition, and you reduce the gap of the standard plug slightly, you will probably have the same effect !!

There is only one way to find out if it really does help, and that is to install them, now after having spend money on your car/bike we all will say that it absolutely makes a difference, otherwise we would have thrown away good money. I personally doubt the difference for standard cars and bikes with a now healthy performance.

Unless you can feel the 2 seconds faster acceleration, or the 3 Hp more ...... well... you make a choice...

My two cents..

The question is 'Are they genuine NGK Iridium spark plugs' or the cheap Chinese knock-offs that are around? Well not exactly knock-offs but sold branded as Iridium. NGK I would never question, but the others......

• 2 months later...

I picked up some Denso Iridium Plugs from their facility on Sarinakarin Road near the Rama IX overpass. the IK27 model that suits the NSR cost 900 baht each... I have not got my bike all back together yet, but I did put some IK16 Iridums (600 baht each) in my 2007 Vios, and there does seem to be a bit of a performance increase. I had not noticed much wheelspin off the line on full throttle acceleration prior to swiching the plugs, but now get it quite often... :o Top speed seems to have notched up a couple of km, noticed 180 on a straight stretch heading to Hua Hin the other day....