Bananas Spoil Too Fast

kyb789

I've noticed in Thailand that if I buy a bunch of green bananas

Day 1: green

Day 2: green yellow. Still hard

Day 3: Yellow. Ripe and ready to eat

Day 4: Brown and mushy

Day 5: Throw them out

So, basically you have 1 day to eat the whole bunch. Back home they seemed to last much much longer. Is it the heat? Humidity? What can I do to make them last longer.?

I've noticed in Thailand that if I buy a bunch of green bananas

Day 1: green

Day 2: green yellow. Still hard

Day 3: Yellow. Ripe and ready to eat

Day 4: Brown and mushy

Day 5: Throw them out

So, basically you have 1 day to eat the whole bunch. Back home they seemed to last much much longer. Is it the heat? Humidity? What can I do to make them last longer.?

Maybe buying green bananas is the problem or perhaps its the cockroaches that are all over them at night when you are sleeping.

Alternatively, buy less or eat faster mate.

Easy. Just before ripe (better) or at ripe put in the fridge. The just before ripes will last a week easily. The outside turns brown inside the frig but they are fine inside. The banana industry has tried to suppress this info and tries to tell people to never refrigerate them. If they are a little past ripe, forget the frig, eat or toss.

Edited by Jingthing

Easy. Just before ripe (better) or at ripe put in the fridge. The just before ripes will last a week easily. The outside turns brown inside the frig but they are fine inside. The banana industry has tried to suppress this info and tries to tell people to never refrigerate them. If they are a little past ripe, forget the frig, eat or toss.

RE: the banana in the fridge thing, did I not read somewhere that this makes them go toxic? Please advise if anyone can substantiate (sp) this.

RE: the banana in the fridge thing, did I not read somewhere that this makes them go toxic? Please advise if anyone can substantiate (sp) this.

Old wives tale!

And this from Colorado State University Extension Service:

"Bananas: Wash skin, peel and eat. Avoid grayish-yellow fruit that indicates a chilling injury; a banana with this coloring may never ripen correctly. Ripen at room temperature and refrigerate when the banana reaches the stage of ripeness that you prefer. The skin will darken in the refrigerator, but the fruit will not."

In other words, the banana won't ripen in the refrigerator and its skin will darken--but it won't become poisonous. On the contrary, the experts _recommend_ refrigeration as a good way to stop ripening, if you can get past the darkening of the peel.

Don't you trust me James ?? :o:D

No offense Big John, but I know I did read this somewhere. But then again, I also read that one should not store raw meat at room temperature and there are about a billion asians eating it like this everyday? :D `

Don't you trust me James ?? :D:(

No offense Big John, but I know I did read this somewhere. But then again, I also read that one should not store raw meat at room temperature and there are about a billion asians eating it like this everyday? :D `

Now THAT is true :D but the only reason for them not getting violently ill .. well most of the time anyay.. is because they cook the living daylights out of the partially putrid meat .. this would drive a Euro food inspector insane :D also, if you go to a local market they rub the meat in permaganan (volet crystals disolved in water) which helps a bit as a preservative and stops the meat from moving away under its own power :o - seen the same in the Caribean .. India Sri Lanka etc...

But Bananas do well in the old fridge :D

Don't you trust me James ?? :D:(

Now THAT is true :D but the only reason for them not getting violently ill .. well most of the time anyay.. is because they cook the living daylights out of the partially putrid meat .. this would drive a Euro food inspector insane :D also, if you go to a local market they rub the meat in permaganan (volet crystals disolved in water) which helps a bit as a preservative and stops the meat from moving away under its own power :o - seen the same in the Caribean .. India Sri Lanka etc...

But Bananas do well in the old fridge :D

strange world we live in, now it's ok to put bananas in the fridge and ok to leave our chicken at room temperature or worse for 12 hours.

Alternatively, buy less or eat faster mate.

Bunch of about 20 big bananas cost 15 baht,

Same amount of the small one cost 8 baht, [not long ago never paid more than 5 baht]

To buy less you would have to buy in a Supermarket = about 4 for 26 baht... These are NOT Thai one but imported

Banana cake is nice, sliced banana in English custard is nice, I make abut 6 bowls and leave in fridge, banana in Thai Jelly is so-so, banana in that pack white Jasmin Powder mix with milk or water and bring to the boil, nice...

3 of my 4 dogs love banana and eat 1/2 a big one every day.

Everyone sells them by the side of the road and at 15 baht a bunch so what if one has to throw out 5 or 10..

We have 2 old ladies push a hand cart into the Village 3x weeks, same price as on the side of the road.

strange world we live in, now it's ok to put bananas in the fridge and ok to leave our chicken at room temperature or worse for 12 hours.

NO it ain't lol ... unless you cook it like they do and also have developed some kind of imunity to salmonella :o

Sure they are cheap enough to throw out, standard price is 5 baht each in Pattaya, but why throw out if you don't have to? In these hard times, 5 baht is 5 baht.

I agree, that's why I don't buy big bunches of them - and tomatos for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Bananas, like most fruit, give off ethylene gas as they ripen. Bananas give off more ethylene than most fruits and this promotes ripening in nearby fruits, including other bananas. Refrigeration may slow down the ethylene production, but keeping the bananas in an enclosed place like a fridge may outweigh this. I hang bunches bananas from a hook in my galley (temperate clime), you might try separating them and hanging them somewhere where the air circulates and disperses the ethylene.

"Bananas: Wash skin, peel and eat.

This confuses me: Wash the skin then peel?

If you're peeling the skin to throw it away, why wash it?

Am I missing something?

It's a karma thing, you wouldn't want to poison the cockroaches and rats would you?

Am I missing something?

It's a karma thing, you wouldn't want to poison the cockroaches and rats would you?

Why not? Does that make them taste bad?

Am I missing something?

Why not? Does that make them taste bad?

Well, I do prefer my cockroaches and rats cleaned before I eat them, but that's another topic.

Well, I do prefer my cockroaches and rats cleaned before I eat them, but that's another topic.

I knew you were posh.

So the general consencus is to put bananas in the fridge, separated from the bunch, just as they ripen and ignore the blackened skin, right?

Doesn't putting them in the fridge make everything else taste of bananas? Makes me cringingly think of my school days when the sandwiches always tasted of banana because they were in the same box all morning.