Wheel Chairs Manual/electric

monkeytunes

A friend of mine since coming to Thailand has unfortunately had some medical problems which has affected her ability to walk for long periods, we are know looking for options to enable her to get out and about, I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions or knew of any websites where we could research electric or manual wheelchairs. Many thanks.

On the road beside the Superhighway (north side) between the Chotana intersection and about 100 metres before Lanna Hospital, you'll find a large medical supplies store. They certainly had manual wheelchairs and are likely to be able to source electric wheelchairs.

I want to thank Nienke for the url she posted. I don't think it is what the OP really needs --- It is really easy to find wheelchairs in Chiang Mai for sale (rent, I don't know); just visit more than one pharmacy in Kad Suan Kaew or at the Airport Plaza --- but Nienke has introduced us to an organization which seems quite deserving of support, so I hope you will visit the site she posted.

Idly checking out the posts this evening, I was attracted to this one for a few reasons. First, the selfish one: one day I may not be able to use my pins. But, second, after living in Chiang Mai for a while, I am really sympathetic to the plight of the disabled who need wheelchairs. In some ways, it is a minor disability not to be able to walk when you compare it with other disabilities. Never, of course, say that to someone who is trapped in one. Just look at how hard it really is to get around in Chiang Mai --- and it is a hellova lot easier here than in most such communities. But just try walking around town!! Want to try it in a wheelchair?! Thirdly, there is an unfortunate tendency in traditional societies to "hide" the disabled because they embarrass the family. This society seems to be growing out of that, but what it would take structurally and financially to transform Thailand into an "accessible" country for the disabled is truly mind-boggling.

In the meantime, why not sponsor all or part of a wheelchair for someone who can't afford one, as suggested on the website?

Anyway, thanks Nienke!

Edited by Mapguy

I just happen to spot an electric wheel chair, full size, in Panthip Plaza this afternoon. It's was located on the ground floor in the southwest corner, just under the escalators. I didn't take a second glance and don't know if it was for sale, or it belongs to someone that works there. It looked almost new or even new.

Also, almost every pharmacy I've been in has the manual type wheelchairs. I know the Pharma Choice pharmacies carry them. We actually bought one for my wife, I believe it was around 4-5,000 baht.

THere are electric mobility scooters made in thailand I saw previously so they should be pretty reasonably priced ad service available.

Invacare have an agent in bangkok according to their webite which sells the Invacare range. I Will try to find more details on the scooters for you. I can really recomend the Invacare SR as I have ost got one and will be bringing it with me. They are very costly though.

Try PhamaChoice. They are located all around the city: KSK, Suan Dok, near CMU...

your friend probably needs a foldable wheelchair which is light weighted and easy to carry around. The price starts from 7500B. Dont forget to ask for discount.

Good luck