Hand Luggage & Computer?

G54

I've never had a problem with a reasonable sized hand-bag plus PC (cattle class).

Interestingly, last time I flew through LHR (a couple of weeks back) the one-bag limit had been relaxed for flights originating and terminating at UK airports, hopefully this will spread to other locations in the near future :o

Are you still able to take your computer AND hand luggage through to the aircraft? Or are you only allowed one piece of hand luggage?

I will be flying out on Tuesday with Etihad.

TIA.

These things tend to vary from airline to airline and change. I am sure a quick call to Etihad or a visit to their website can provide you with 'official' policy.

Are you still able to take your computer AND hand luggage through to the aircraft? Or are you only allowed one piece of hand luggage?

I have never been on Etihat, but until now I never had a problem with a notebook (30x43x10 cm) and a reasonable handbag on

THAI

EVA

Turkish Airlines

Royal Brunai

Emirates

Air Asia (!)

Nok Air

Austrian

Lufthansa

Good luck!

TIA.

Last year I flew from BKK to Manchester via Abu Dhabi with Etihad and was allowed to take my hand luggage and my laptop in the aircraft with me.

This was not the case when I returned from Manchester, I had to put my laptop inside my hand luggage.

Have a good flight, I found Etihad to be a very good airline.

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it might be a bit 'hit and miss'.

My hand luggage is too small to take my clothes and my laptop. Might have to buy some bigger hand luggage.

I was under the impression it was the airport security that sometimes had a problem with this and not the airlines themselves? A friend said he had a problem with security and not with the airline (Etihad).

I am going to be pushed for time to make the train connection at Manchester and do not want to take a big case and find I am delayed waiting for the luggage to appear.

I have never been on Etihat, but until now I never had a problem with a notebook (30x43x10 cm) and a reasonable handbag on

THAI

EVA

Turkish Airlines

Royal Brunai

Emirates

Air Asia (!)

Nok Air

Austrian

Lufthansa

Good luck!

Does anybody know what EMIRATES current policy is? I'm flying Gatwick to BKK in January and sometimes what the airline tells you isn't what's actually practised so I'm interested in recent actual experiences.

Thanks all.

Edited by VBF

VBF wrote

Does anybody know what EMIRATES current policy is? I'm flying Gatwick to BKK in January and sometimes what the airline tells you isn't what's actually practised so I'm interested in recent actual experiences.

Hi, I fly with Emirates 5 times per year UK - BKK return and am a gold card holder with them, I only travel with hand luggage. Normally fly from Birmingham or Manchester. Recently they have been weighing my hand luggage (small rucksack), it is always well under the 7 Kilos that they allow. It really does my head in as I could take 36 Kilos in suitcases as a gold card member.

To be safe I would only take one piece hand luggage with you. Although no doubt you will see people with two bags and their duty free bag taking up all the space in the overhead lockers.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Flew Eva February this year with Laptop in Hand luggage and was told I could have carried it seperately??. Travelled again in June with Laptop seperate and was told policy had changed. Only one peice of hand luggage allowed plus duty free. Lucky, I had room in my bag to revert to one peice again.??????

Plan for both.

Most airlines still allow one carry-on plus a personal article such as purse, briefcase or laptop. You still have to stay within the carry-on weight allowance with all carry-ons included in the calculation. consult your airline's website for specific policies....or call them.

Martian

Most airlines still allow one carry-on plus a personal article such as purse, briefcase or laptop. You still have to stay within the carry-on weight allowance with all carry-ons included in the calculation. consult your airline's website for specific policies....or call them.

Martian

To (sort of) answer my own and other people's questions - I just called Emirates UK call centre. They say "1 bag PLUS 1 laptop, combined weight must not exceed 7kg"

This is in Economy class.

When I pointed out that the website didn't say exactly that, the gentleman I was speaking to admitted that the website might not be up to date, he assured me the above is correct.

This is as of today, 5th November 2008.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring? :o

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like it might be a bit 'hit and miss'.

My hand luggage is too small to take my clothes and my laptop. Might have to buy some bigger hand luggage.

I was under the impression it was the airport security that sometimes had a problem with this and not the airlines themselves? A friend said he had a problem with security and not with the airline (Etihad).

I am going to be pushed for time to make the train connection at Manchester and do not want to take a big case and find I am delayed waiting for the luggage to appear.

Generally the allowance is set by the airline not the airport. The exception were UK airports who introduced the one bag rule for EVERYONE to limit the amount of baggage they had to scan.

In general there is nothing hit and miss about it. Just check the airline's website and see what your class of travel will allow.

THAI

EVA

Turkish Airlines

Royal Brunai

Emirates

Air Asia (!)

Nok Air

Austrian

Lufthansa

Good luck!

Thanks all.

I flew from Manchester-Dubai-Bangkok with Emirates Feb this year,& had no problems at all bringing my laptop with my hand luggage.

Singapore states on their website that a laptop is allowed in addition to the 7kg hand luggage which they check. They also state that it is an IATA agreement that computers are allowed in addition to the regular hand luggage.

I also noted that Emirates allows golfclubs in addition, wonder if that has changed ?

I use Etihad regularly - Bangkok - London via Abu Dhabi. I always take my laptop, SLR camera and bag, and videocamera and its bag, into cattle class. I have never had a problem. The total weight is well in excess of 7kgs ! Do any airlines actually weigh hand luggage ? I have never seen it done.