Thaksin Begs For "Royal Kindness"

Jai Dee

Will Thaksin phone-in be aired on NBT?

The public has been kept guessing on whether ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's phone-in and pre-recorded video will be broadcast on the "Truth Today" programme.

However, Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva warned that if the phone-in were to be replayed it would be tantamount to the government acting as a mouthpiece of the convicted former leader.

Veera Musikaphong, co-host of the "Truth Today" talk show on the state-controlled NBT channel, said he may or may not rebroadcast the speech, which was first aired in front of some 50,000 people at the Rajamangala National Stadium on Saturday.

Veera, himself a former Thai Rak Thai party executive , said that though Thaksin's speech does not fit the show's format, excerpts or the entire discourse could be aired if a co-host were not available on a certain evening. The show runs from Monday to Friday.

He added that the pro-government satellite television MV5 had already been broadcasting the speech.

Meanwhile, Abhisit said the government had no excuse for letting state-controlled *and taxpayer-financed* NBT channel air the speech.

"I'm not sure if it will be seen as a defamation of the courts or the institution [the monarchy]. Would this be appropriate? By watching the news, one realises that there is an existing condition of conflict. Why doesn't the government recognise this? What the people need most is to have the government restore peace. If [the talk] is replayed, then I can't see it as any other way but an intentional action by the government [to create rifts]."

Meanwhile, Democrat Party Deputy Secretary-General Thepthai Senaphong threatened to sue the Chief of the Public Relations Department, which oversees the NBT channel, if the footage is broadcast.

"You can prepare for it ... and get a lawyer in advance," he warned.

- The Nation / 2008-11-04

Finally, the sheep roars :o .

If this guy had more to offer than a few bleats and whimpers he would be in power now.

The problem is not just that Thaksin was too strong, it's that the Democrats are too weak. And that's their fault, not Thaksin's.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Thaksin phone-in be aired on NBT?

The public has been kept guessing on whether ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's phone-in and pre-recorded video will be broadcast on the "Truth Today" programme.

However, Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva warned that if the phone-in were to be replayed it would be tantamount to the government acting as a mouthpiece of the convicted former leader.

Veera Musikaphong, co-host of the "Truth Today" talk show on the state-controlled NBT channel, said he may or may not rebroadcast the speech, which was first aired in front of some 50,000 people at the Rajamangala National Stadium on Saturday.

Veera, himself a former Thai Rak Thai party executive , said that though Thaksin's speech does not fit the show's format, excerpts or the entire discourse could be aired if a co-host were not available on a certain evening. The show runs from Monday to Friday.

He added that the pro-government satellite television MV5 had already been broadcasting the speech.

Meanwhile, Abhisit said the government had no excuse for letting state-controlled *and taxpayer-financed* NBT channel air the speech.

"I'm not sure if it will be seen as a defamation of the courts or the institution [the monarchy]. Would this be appropriate? By watching the news, one realises that there is an existing condition of conflict. Why doesn't the government recognise this? What the people need most is to have the government restore peace. If [the talk] is replayed, then I can't see it as any other way but an intentional action by the government [to create rifts]."

Meanwhile, Democrat Party Deputy Secretary-General Thepthai Senaphong threatened to sue the Chief of the Public Relations Department, which oversees the NBT channel, if the footage is broadcast.

"You can prepare for it ... and get a lawyer in advance," he warned.

If this guy had more to offer than a few bleats and whimpers he would be in power now.

The problem is not just that Thaksin was too strong, it's that the Democrats are too weak. And that's their fault, not Thaksin's.

I would have to agree that the most disappointing personality in this whole mess has been Abhisit. He has the appearance of a man who believed from an early age that the PM'ship would be delivered to him in an act of destiny. Hence I don't think he ever believed that he might actually have to stand up, form an opinion and do something to get and perform the job.

His weakness in this situation and his inability to reach out in any way; let alone politically, to anyone North of Rangsit astounds me. I hope for the sake of the country that it is the case that he has been told to stay out of the current fight. But then that says enough about the situation in itself.

Edited by Thai at Heart

[
How can anyone be a 'Dictator' in Thailand without the support of....

Military

Monarchy

Urban intelligentsia

Courts

Yes, you need the urban buy-in. (eg European dictators were bank-rolled by urban bourgeois middle classes and entrepreneurs and clever persuasive propaganda accounted for the rest)

You were speaking of urban intellegensia - it's still there, from your original post. That's what surpised me.

I was wrong there. I meant urban middle classes, yes, the intelligensia, the 'thinkers' would resist a burgeoning dictator and be smart enough to detect the early signs.

Whilst the intelligensia on tv.com is quite well represented; in Bangkok in general, they are thin on the ground !!

Since his own Personal Spokesman has done such a horrendous job of trying to explain away Thaksin's words, he has the People Power Party Spokesman take a stab at it... but then again, just why is a current political party spokesman speaking for a banned, un-incarcerated, convicted fugitive???

Ruling PPP: No intent to help ousted prime minister Thaksin

BANGKOK, Nov 3 (TNA) - Thailand's ruling People Power Party (PPP) has no plan to request a royal pardon for the country's convicted, ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra so that he might avoid facing the consequences of his two-year jail conviction and sentence for his role in relation to a Bangkok land purchase case, acting PPP Spokesman said Monday.

Kudep Saikrachang said he himself disagreed with the idea to seek a royal pardon for Thaksin, now living with his wife and children in Britain.

"It is up to individual members of Parliament to decide," Kuthep said. And then he proceeded to give detailed instructions on how such individual MPs could effect an act of Parliament to bring about such a pardon. *we're not intending to do it, but if you want to know how to do it, this is how you do it*

A draft bill must be prepared and then forwarded to Parliament for its consideration if a royal pardon is to be sought, Kuthep said, adding that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat had said it is up to each MP to decide. Requesting a royal pardon must also take timing into consideration.

"The Party (PPP) hasn't yet decided to seek a royal pardon for Thaksin as the prevailing situation (in the country) must also be taken into consideration. It's impossible to do things for just one person," said Kudep.

Did Kuthep say the words you've highlighted in red, or are they your comments?

I assume the latter rather than a quote !

Make it a lot easier for readers if your excellent job of sourcing articles and your intuitive insight into the psyche of the subjects of those article are delineated clearly, ......perhaps by putting <SR.J> after an editorial inclusion.

*red text enclosed within asterisks* has been the standard poster comments for quite some time...

It stands out enough that people haven't questioned it before.

Ok, if thats the accepted house style, no problem.

Justice minister says Thaksin could seek royal pardon through him

Justice Minister Somsak KIartsuranont said Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could seek a royal pardon for his conviction through him.

Somsak said an application for a royal pardon could be filed through the justice minister after the case is finalised.

But Somsak said he would not commit himself now whether he would process the request or not once it is filed to him.

"I'll simply act according to the laws," he added.

Source: The Nation - 04 November 2008

Too much rice, not enough protein.

JUst like I thought, too many weights, not enough speed work :-)

Jackndanny - thanks for the kind words. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I personally dislike PAD and I dislike TRT. Like Grandpops says, someone needs to frigging stand up to lead right now, and they will walk right into power and hopefully do a better job that the s^&t we've put up with since 2001.

And my feeling....is a fair few of the PPP supporters think the same.

Let's all sing kumbaya and hold hands in a masculine type way :o

*red text enclosed within asterisks* has been the standard poster comments for quite some time...

Actually, this is not well received by a number of ThaiVisa members, as it detracts from the news report and puts a biased spin on it.

It also makes it difficult for other members to quote some or all of the news report if it has your personal comments in it.

Appreciate your cooperation and understanding on this.

Jackndanny - thanks for the kind words. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I personally dislike PAD and I dislike TRT. Like Grandpops says, someone needs to frigging stand up to lead right now, and they will walk right into power and hopefully do a better job that the s^&t we've put up with since 2001.

I wouldn't disagree with any of this, but speak out only to tip my hat to the best concluding line of a post I have ever seen on TV.

Actually, this is not well received by a number of ThaiVisa members, as it detracts from the news report and puts a biased spin on it.

It also makes it difficult for other members to quote some or all of the news report if it has your personal comments in it.

I agree whole heartedly.It is an extremely bad practice and thanks Jai Dee for confirming it should be avoided.

I wouldn't disagree with any of this, but speak out only to tip my hat to the best concluding line of a post I have ever seen on TV.

The only problem is that its like holding hands in the bomb shelter. The one to lead has to come out first and there's a high risk of getting one's head blown off.

However, there is a Parliament full of his PPP MP's who will willingly risk any untoward event by applying for him in his name... there's no shortage of stupid ones willing to ruin their own reputation in order to try and save his...

well that certainly did not take long for one of them to stand up....

Justice minister says Thaksin could seek royal pardon through him

Justice Minister Somsak KIartsuranont said Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could seek a royal pardon for his conviction through him.

Somsak rises to the occasion...

======================================================

No problem.

Edited by sriracha john

A charlatan playing holier-than-thou charade

Touching, not too bad, worth waiting for after a lot of guessing and intrigue. Yes, this is about the content of Thaksin Shinawatra's phone-in talk on Saturday night to a huge gathering of his fans. The heart-rending hard-luck story moved some admirers to tears. Many sobbed genuinely. That was the effect of Thaksin's charm, bolstered by the power of his money. Snake oil salesmen would find it hard to match his passionate sell. Tens of thousands of people wearing red shirts - some were paid to show up - at the national stadium were not certain the scheduled phone-in would take place amidst warnings from many people.

Prime Minister Somchai's aloofness - an obvious blessing for the phone-in - proved that he could not have blocked it, even if he wanted to. The top job was a gift from his brother-in-law in exile. Nobody, except those in the inner circle of cronies, knew where Thaksin was when he spoke on the phone.

If there was any surprise at all in what Thaksin said on the phone, it was his audacity. He did not disappoint either his friends or foes alike, taking swipes at the country's revered institution and the judicial process. Thaksin was his true self, a sinful man who preaches holier-than-thou virtues.

He is still adept in the art of the blame game. It was outrageous when he said the power of the masses and the influence of the revered institution could enable him to come home. That means he must be a free man devoid of guilt or jail sentence.

Thaksin does not fight for justice. He does not need it. What he wants is to shake loose from all charges and conviction, by whatever means possible. That has already included an attempt to bribe court officials, which failed, leaving his three legal cronies locked up in prison.

Still, the smooth spin for the gullible audience will likely put him in deeper trouble, both legally and through increasing animosity on the part of his adversaries. Armed forces chiefs have set up teams to study the nuances and implications of his speech. For those with a reasonable degree of intellect, Thaksin's words were a direct attack on his foes he calls "privileged elites".

Thaksin's woeful story was effective in dividing the nation further - those wearing yellow or red shirts. No more pretentious posturing, social warfare was brought into the open and he designated himself commander in absentia of the "red brigade". If the conflict leads to the spilling of more blood, he is safely away from the battleground.

As a convict fleeing jail and with six outstanding arrest warrants, Thaksin lamented his hard times abroad, even though he has become an honorary citizen of the Bahamas, while at least two African nations are also eager to accord him such status. They want him to become an adviser, teaching them how to resolve poverty problems. Thaksin's money smells good indeed, especially after he let the world know how much he pocketed when he sold Manchester City Football Club to Arab billionaires. The Africans have yet to realise that Thaksin's populist policies for the needy were never paid for out of his own pocket. He spent billions of baht to please the poor, not letting the taxpayers know that a huge chunk of the amount found its way into the coffers of his business empire. His cronies, serving as front men, took care of the kickbacks when sweetheart contracts were doled out under his benevolence.

An unmistakable message during the speech was that he will not give up the fight and take whatever comes his way sitting down, even it if causes further legal troubles and hardships while in exile. Thaksin can travel without fear of arrest. His extensive network of friends and his vast wealth buy convenience and safe passage. That means more unsettling political trouble for the country and the likelihood of violent confrontation between the people in yellow and red shirts. If the crisis worsens, an abrupt change of government could take place, by the military's peace-keeping role, short of a coup, to stop a full-scale civil war.

There is a troubling question: how to deal with the Somchai government now that its lame-duck chief is embroiled in an obvious sex scandal, seen in videotapes viewed by millions. He refuses to comment, far less tell whether the man in the videotape was him or just a lookalike. Somchai believes he can get away with silence. A national leader with some sense of decency and shame, caught in such an uncompromising situation, would immediately resign and apologise to the public. Some optimists might have expected as much from Somchai. Those who are familiar with shameless politicians treat it with a sense of deja vu.

Maybe it's time for Thailand to work out its own solution to resolve this extraordinary political stalemate in which shamelessness prevails in all circumstances, in the belief that the military will not have the nerve to stage a coup for fear of widespread public resistance.

The West's negative attitude towards the undemocratic change of government also serves as a deterrent. Should the people tolerate these politicians until they complete their term in office, sell their votes to put them back in office again, and risk a national collapse?

We know the obvious answer. Whether those who can do it, still have the nerve to do it, for the sake of national security, is another question. Thaksin would not have any second thought if he could do it, with more lives lost as collateral damage and acceptable casualties of war.

Military blasts Thaksin for involving King

The military top brass yesterday declared fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra's speech at the Rajamangala Stadium rally "out of bounds." The remarks, made during a 10-minute phone-in on Saturday, were the centre of yesterday's meeting of the armed forces leaders, the Supreme Commander, and the Defence Permanent-Secretary. According to a highly-placed military source, Thaksin's speech was "out of bounds" and appeared to put pressure on His Majesty the King. In one of the most controversial parts of his speech, Thaksin told his supporters at the rally that nothing could bring him home apart from royal clemency or the power of the people. "[Thaksin's remarks] have involved His Majesty in politics. His comments are out of bounds. He was talking about royal clemency in spite of a guilty verdict by the court," said the source. The military leaders would coordinate with the Lawyers Council in carefully examining Thaksin's remarks for lese majeste, said the source. They also believed Thaksin was likely to make similar comments again. The source said the top brass were concerned Thaksin's remarks will be used to incite his supporters to campaign against the two-year jail sentence given him by the Supreme Court. Defence Permanent-Secretary Gen Apichart Penkitti said Thaksin's speech troubled military leaders. "To us, Thaksin's remarks bring discomfort to His Majesty the King. He should not have involved His Majesty,"," Gen Apichart said. Opposition Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva called on PM Somchai to block the planned broadcast of Thaksin's speech on the Truth Today political talk show on the state-run NBT channel. Mr Abhisit said Thaksin's speech was widely seen as highly controversial and could be insulting to the judiciary and the monarchy. He said broadcasting it would show the government's insincerity about solving the political stalemate and its willingness to be Thaksin's

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/041108_News/04Nov2008_news04.php

There can't be many countries other than Thailand where military sources are quoted in the media so extensively on non-defence issues. The correspondent must have quite a rolodex! There is a wide school of thought elsewhere that soldiers should refrain from comment on political matters - especially to newspapers.

There can't be many countries other than Thailand where military sources are quoted in the media so extensively on non-defence issues. The correspondent must have quite a rolodex! There is a wide school of thought elsewhere that soldiers should refrain from comment on political matters - especially to newspapers.

The military is charged with defending the monarchy... hence it NOT a "non-defence issue".

Their comments were not political in nature, but "defence" in nature.

Welcome to Thailand, which has a rather uncommon systematic situation to those nations that don't have a military in charge of defending a monarch.

Even if someone, or a group of someones, applies for a pardon on behalf of Thaksin, what do you think the chances are of it ever being granted ?

I say, ZERO.

Remember, the coup that kicked him out had the (silent) blessing of the same that would grant such a pardon. Discussion at the time made mention of the fact that it appeared Thaksin was trying to supplant the same (or at least raise himself to the same level), henceforth the coup was not condemned (publicly) in any way by the person that could have had the most influence on it all.

I can't see them suddenly having a change of heart, that would effectively allow Thaksin to come back and start doing the same things all over again.

What a slap in the face it would be if Thaksin & company applied for a pardon, and it was rejected. PAD would be elated, and Thaksin's supporters would have their hopes crushed. Hard to imagine them protesting such a decision (as that would be a protest against the most revered person in the country). I think the "reds" would be very blue.

The military is charged with defending the monarchy... hence it NOT a "non-defence issue".

Welcome to Thailand, which has a rather uncommon systematic situation to those nations that don't have a military in charge of defending a monarch.

Not really.Every British officer for example swears an oath of allegiance to the Sovereign.Some onlookers might dismiss this as pure formality but I can assure you, having two relatives as serving officers, it is taken very seriously indeed.

In Thailand the military is known to be deeply involved in business and politics.It is also one of the most top heavy military establishments inthe world with an absurdly high ratio of senior officers to enlisted men.It goes without saying that the Thai military regularly interferes in politics ostensibly for honour, country etc but in reality to protect their vested interests.Clearly needs reform and taking down several pegs.

Time to repeat an earlier warning I think...

PUBLIC WARNING

Frum the Forum Rules:

"No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden."

Please confine your discussions and speculations etc to Thaksin/PPP/DAAD/PAD etc and not Thai Royalty. Any such speculation or comment will be swiftly deleted from the forum and the offending poster suspended.

Take special note please.

[

Sorry Sir, who is the sheep in this case?

The Democrats try, try in earnest, just have a look what this thread, the PAD is all about, if you would have understood, you wouldn't have written such BS.

Read further, as long as his cronies are at the helm and no massive changes in the system are allowed to be made, nothing can be done unless its for the benefit of the well established circle of cronies and the "Amendment of the Charter" will just tighten the grip onto power further!

This is not a simple game of Monopoly, where dices decide, here the master is pulling the strings from a safe haven as he wishes, a convicted criminal and ousted politician using every means to get things done HIS way!

Think again!

Edited by Samuian

A VERY good and true comment.

(Those nations typically have the military in charge of defending the people. But no argument on the military's job description in Thailand.)

I think its cool and kind of quirky and differentiating that a nation's army has a press dialogue......a media strategy. (even if their comments are instructing people not to comment on issues)

I definitely encourage all organisations and firms to have a media strategy. So many clam up when they don't need to be coy, or lack confidence to say their 2c worth.

Let's all sing kumbaya and hold hands in a masculine type way

Yes, but there's one little question of Thaksin admitting his guilt and accepting punishment first. Then people can start speaking of forgivness.

Remember he went to see Prem and it looked like he was asking for mercy? That sincerety didn't last long and very soon he went on the offensive again.

I'm sure his latest pleas for forgiveness will end up the same - with more threats and more violence if he doesn't get it his way. Except this time he is very close to crossing the line with his very next step - he hasn't left himself any room to maneuvre anymore with his "mercy or people power" declaration.

A very valid point made regarding Royal Pardons in that they are designed only for incarcerated prisoners who have shown themselves to be good inmates...

People's Alliance Condemns Thaksin for Seeking Royal Pardon

The People's Alliance for Democracy aired opposition against the campaign by ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to seek royal clemency from His Majesty the King, saying he should serve his prison sentence before launching such a campaign.

Core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, Major General Chamlong Srimuang said the recent telephone speech by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on his possible campaign to seek royal pardon from His Majesty the King was not appropriate.

He said Thaksin's case is already finalized, so he must serve his sentence in a prison and a royal pardon could be made for him when he is regarded as a good inmate.

Another core PAD leader Pipob Thongchai said Thakin's campaign aims to implicate his problem with the Monarchy. Also, he does not agree with the People Power Party's attempt to revise article 191 of the current Constitution on the requirements of seeking royal pardons, as it could worry His Majesty the King.

He also disagrees with the re-broadcast of Thaksin's telephone speech during the special episode of the "Today's Truth" program on the state-run NBT channel, as it is a use of public media for self-serving gains and, thus is against the law.

TOC / 2008-11-03

Edited by sriracha john

I would have to agree that the most disappointing personality in this whole mess has been Abhisit. He has the appearance of a man who believed from an early age that the PM'ship would be delivered to him in an act of destiny. Hence I don't think he ever believed that he might actually have to stand up, form an opinion and do something to get and perform the job.

His weakness in this situation and his inability to reach out in any way; let alone politically, to anyone North of Rangsit astounds me. I hope for the sake of the country that it is the case that he has been told to stay out of the current fight. But then that says enough about the situation in itself.

There's an interesting article by Korn in Bangkok Post where he actually talks about what Dem's do as shadow cabinet.

Among other things he says that discounts for water and electricity that Samak was so proud of were first proposed by "shadow cabinet", but guess who took all the credit.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/041108_News/04Nov2008_news21.php

....edit....

Remember he went to see Prem and it looked like he was asking for mercy? That sincerety didn't last long and very soon he went on the offensive again.

I'm sure his latest pleas for forgiveness will end up the same - with more threats and more violence if he doesn't get it his way. ...edit....

Well, it's him, if he can't get it his way he will get mad and trample around on it, no matter what, that what he thinks is his power... well... some one may decide, if he keeps pressing, who got the power!

He is asking for it, they let him off... but he can't just let go - his little ego runs a muck!

It looked more like an ultimatum than "begs for forgiveness".

confrontational - "kindness" if it doesn't happen = "not kind"? :o same time involving "the power of the people" is again aimed to confront, tough stuff and his typical handwriting!

Edited by Samuian

Lets be blunt. Thaksin wants his money and power back and nothing is going to be allowed to stop him getting what he wants. That is his endgame. Everything he and his proxies say and do is aimed at causing that under any circumstance.

It just remains a question of will he suceed. There will be lots of collateral damage along the way whatever happens.

Lets be blunt. Thaksin wants his money and power back and nothing is going to be allowed to stop him getting what he wants. That is his endgame. Everything he and his proxies say and do is aimed at causing that under any circumstance.

It just remains a question of will he succeed. There will be lots of collateral damage along the way whatever happens.

Blunt is good. It's also right.