Jellyfish stings

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangerous jellyfishes can be found also in KPG waters, like everywhere in tropical waters, we had also 2 deadly case around 3/4 years ago, in august, when in Haad Rin sunrise beach 2 swimmers died and some 50 people went to the local nursery and Bandon mini-hospital for the treatment of jellyfish wounds. Actually the 2 victims died for anaphilaptic shock after wide parts of their skin was burn from jellyfish tentacles. Every year somebody goes to hospital for sometime serious wounds or burning caused from jellyfishes but for my (small) experience never caused from the box jellyfish (Cubomedusae) although the species could be present also in thai waters (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubozoa) "Box jellies can be found in Australia, the Philippines, Hawaii[1], Vietnam, and many other tropical areas".

In case of accident don't rub the area and put plenty of acetic acid (the common vinegar), then run to the hospital.

post-58494-1225696453_thumb.jpg

Edited by angiud

Have you encountered one?

i'm swimming almost every day in the sea at maenam beach, the water is never clear so i can't see inside but i'm swimming from left to right close to the beach, i hope i won't meet one of them...

do they come close to the beach or do they prefer deep water?

In March this year I already reported about the potential of box jelly fish in Thai waters on my dive blog. In April this year a Swedish girl died of box jelly fish and in November 2003 I encountered box jelly fish on Chaweng beach that stung one of my students.

Very recently box jelly fish was found in Phuket and there's a thread on the Phuket forum here.

i'm swimming almost every day in the sea at maenam beach, the water is never clear so i can't see inside but i'm swimming from left to right close to the beach, i hope i won't meet one of them...

do they come close to the beach or do they prefer deep water?

i swim at maenam too and have seen small jellyfish washed up there but they were n't box jelly fish,and i was there today and got bitten by sea lice.Box jelly fish have long tentacles but you cant see them.They can be fatal if stung across the chest,i had one back in australia get me and had many welts around my arm,scared the living daylights out of me,had medication with me a spray called stingos" and was ok,sipped down a couple of VB'S and the welts went down in 2 mins.vinegar and onions good too.

For box jelly fish, vinegar is the best solution, before seeing a doctor/physician.

DAN's "Diver Alert" magazine has an update an article in the May/June 2008 issue called; "Sting Update" with the surprise recommendation not to use vinegar on jellyfish stings other than the Indo-Pacific Box Jelly*.

Current suggestions for jellyfish stings include...

1-Flush with sea water, not fresh water;

2-Soak in hot water or hot shower around 113F/45C for 30 to 90 minutes ASAP;

3-Remove any remaining tentacles with tweezers;

4-Shave with shaving cream and razor or scrape with credit card;

5-Apply hydrocortisone cream or ointment;

6-Monitor for reaction or infection;

And more, you also carry antihistamine tablets and include those in your personal treatment and suggestions.

There was a special note on Men-of-War: No vinegar! It actually causes those nematocytes to discharge.

*The one exception given is for the Chironex fleckeri of Box Jelly found in some waters between Australia and Asia. This one is probably the most deadly animal for its size other than man, but if you survive long enough to get back on the boat - do use vinegar on that wound.

Considering the widespread growth of beach morning glory I thought it might help to include Bambina's post:

if you are attacted by Sea nettles, Chrysaora species...it will have a nightmare then

n_sea_nettles_1_sm.jpg

1 u need somebody pee on you ( oh yes.. i can't pee on yourself, neither do i :o )

2 grinded sea morning glory(Ipomoea pes - caprae (Lin.X Sweet)

) and applied it on

250_1.JPG

Considering the widespread growth of beach morning glory I thought it might help to include Bambina's post:
if you are attacted by Sea nettles, Chrysaora species...it will have a nightmare then

n_sea_nettles_1_sm.jpg

1 u need somebody pee on you ( oh yes.. i can't pee on yourself, neither do i :o )

2 grinded sea morning glory(Ipomoea pes - caprae (Lin.X Sweet)

) and applied it on

250_1.JPG

I know Ipomoea have some (undesiderable) psychoactive side effect...

In case of accident don't rub the area and put plenty of acetic acid (the common vinegar), then run to the hospital.

Would Balsamic vinegar work as well? I believe there is some really good stuff still available at Delitaly in Thongsala. :o

If not, get hold of some Stingose - from personal experience its active ingredient (Aluminium Sulphate) works really well to draw out jellyfish stings.

jose '-)

BKK Post 5.11.08

http://www.bangkokpost.com/051108_News/05Nov2008_news04.php

Swimmers warned of box jellyfish

The Marine and Coastal Resources Department has warned of box jellyfish attacks after the highly poisonous species was found off Koh Phi Phi in Krabi province.

The box jellyfish is not common in Thai waters and a recent discovery of the species off some popular beaches has sparked fears for tourists' safety and possible impact on the tourism industry.

So far two deaths in Thailand have been attributed to the jellyfish. The first was in 2002 at Koh Phangan in Surat Thani province, and the latest in April at Koh Lanta in Krabi.

Earlier this year, the son of an Australian journalist was stung while swimming off Koh Mak in Trat.

The jellyfish has most recently been spotted at Loh Sama bay at Koh Phi Phi. Several people had reportedly been stung by the species, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Anongwan Thepsuthin said yesterday.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry has also expressed concern over the spread of box jellyfish and its impact on tourism.

"People swimming in the sea where box jellyfish are present should exercise caution. The authorities will do their best to cope with the problem," Mrs Anongwan said.

Box jellyfish are known for their powerful venom, which has caused at least 5,567 recorded deaths since 1954.Wannakiat Thubtimsaeng, director of the Marine and Coastal Department's Phuket Marine Biological Centre, said the department had circulated letters to all coastal provinces, urging authorities to set up signs warning of the presence of box jellyfish in swimming areas.

Vinegar is the best solution to reduce the pain from a jellyfish sting before the victim is sent to hospital. Water should not be used, as this increases the pain.

Edited by Ocean11

This happen in KPG in 2002:

Australian dies from jellyfish stings

August 21 2002

An Australian man has died from multiple stings by a toxic jellyfish near a popular backpacker resort on a southern Thai island.

Sean Tyrrell, 25, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Ban Don Inter-clinic on Koh Phangan island after being stung in the late afternoon of August 9, a spokeswoman at the clinic said.

Mr Tyrrell, from Victoria, was stung while swimming at Koh Phangan's Hat Rin beach, popular with backpacker travellers for regular full moon rave parties.

Officials said he suffered terrible pain from the stings which left large welt marks on his legs.

"The long tentacles wrapped around his legs three or four times each. It would have been an excruciating death," an official said.

Officials and the hospital spokeswoman said they were unaware of the species of jellyfish which caused the deaths.

Australia has warned travellers to the resort island 650km south of Bangkok to "exercise extreme caution" when swimming.

Two days after Mr Tyrrell's death, a Moroccan woman died at the nearby Koh Samui hospital after being stung while also swimming at Koh Phangan Island.

Thai police stationed on the island have since been handing out leaflets warning visitors against swimming, especially in the latter part of the day and early evening.

But officials said many of the travellers were disregarding the warnings.

"There is a general culture on the island that all is OK," one official said.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade issued a warning last week advising Australians to "exercise extreme care" about the safety of swimming in particular locations on the island.

"Due to the uncertainty about the species and toxicity of the jellyfish that caused the deaths, swimmers, snorkellers, and divers are advised to leave the water if jellyfish are spotted," DFAT said in the notice.

The deaths have surprised the diving community, with southern Thailand one of the most popular locations for deep sea diving in South East Asia, especially during the peak season of November through to March.

But the country is presently in the grip of the rainy monsoon season, with the waters clouded from river silt and evidence of jellyfish along many beaches in the southern provinces.

Tony Green, managing director of Phuket-based H2O Sports said the deaths were unheard of.

"We take a lot of divers and had people stung. But from our experience those are minor. We have never heard of or seen a potential lethal jellyfish," Mr Green said.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/20/1029114105350.html

• 2 weeks later...

"Thai police stationed on the island have since been handing out leaflets warning visitors against swimming, especially in the latter part of the day and early evening." aw

Can someone explain this. As far as I am aware jellyfish float around slowly so if they can sting early morning or evening then they can also sting daytime as they wouldn't have moved far in that time.s

Or perhaps daytime they sit on the bottom, rising towards the surface at night to feed.

Can anyone in the know clarify.

To me this is quite worrying as I do lots of spearfishing, often in the water for 4-5 hours at a time, I don't fancy meeting one of these.......

• 2 months later...

My brother and his girlfriend, were both stung on LAMAI beach in front of the Lamoi Wanta. August 2008 at about 5.30 in the evening. My brother is 6 foot tall and was very baddly stung. Fortuately my 6 year old nephew had just got out of the water as had he been stung as my brother was, he would undoubtly have died. My brother will be scared for life with the laserations from the jelly fish stings which even five months later wounds still cause him pain. I think that the situation would have been considerably worse had it not been for the staff at the Lamoi Wanta resturant treating the wounds with vinager. That they knew exactly what to do makes me think that box jellyfish stings are not unknow on Samui. The first doctor that we saw in Lamai said that it was the second sting that he had treated that week. My brothers girlfiend was less seriously hurt, but her legs remain visably scared.

I wonder what the chances are. I've been swimming for a decade in the gulf, I know aht they look like, but haven't seen one. Although they are been seen more. We can see here that there are actions been taken but in the beach resorts it seems everyone is denyiny there existance.

It would be nice to hear from some experts. Are they becoming more prevelant? Or have they always been here, just not in large numbers?

It appears death is very common, but not definitive. In Australia I believe beaches are closed if they are sighted. Perhaps thai beaches need signs with identification charts. Better to be prepared and acknowledge the issue rather than ignoring it.

Love swimming here. Just one more thing to keep me on my flippers when I am in the sea.

• 2 months later...

An international team based in Australia including American jellyfish expert Dr Lisa-ann Gershwin held a series of workshops and seminars while also conducting fieldwork around Phuket and Koh Lanta in early April 2009.

Working closely with the Phuket Marine Biological Centre, the team addressed Thai marine biologists and fisheries reps, public health and tourism authority officials from dozens of coastal provinces, and numerous Consular officials, private hospital and travel/hospitality reps detailing scientific, medical and general facts about box jellyfish and irukandji in Thailand.

It is clear that the problem is more widespread than the 'official' fatality number of 4 western tourists in 10 years from large box jellyfish. There is also strong evidence of symptoms of Irukandji syndrome reported in many locations though closer monitoring to recognize these symptoms has to be undertaken at a local hospital/clinic level to ascertain the extend of this. Large irukandji called Morbakka exist in Thai waters and these animals have been associated with fatalities and serious envenomation in other countries. Also, aside from the injuries and death it has inflicted there is other clear evidence of a large chironex type box jellyfish in Thailand much like the species in Australia that is known to be the most venomous animal on the planet.

Proper testing/sampling will be undertaken in strategic locations around Thailand to get a better indication of the scope of the issue which is at this moment unknown (biology, ecology, etc). Also a close bilateral program is being actioned to further progress local knowledge and assist with implementing an effective safety and education system.

In the meantime, make sure that vinegar is available when at the beach or off-shore (carry a bottle or ask the boat, hotel, bungalows etc to get some) just in case - the risk it is assumed is minimal but it just might pay to invest in a bottle (it also works on non-lethal jellyfish).

Dr Gershwin recommend's the following treatment:

Here's what's right according to scientific research:

1. Vinegar stops the undischarged stinging cells of box jellies and Irukandjis from being able to discharge. This is an instant and permanent effect. It works equally well with all colours and flavours of household vinegar, but less well with other types or concentrations of acids.

2. Vinegar causes discharge of stinging cells of some other types of jellyfish species -- all but one of these are known to be non-harmful compared to the box jellies and Irukandjis. Thus, causing discharge of these is of little medical consequence, whereas inhibiting discharge of box jellies and Irukandjis may save a life. The one that IS discharged by vinegar and is harmful is incredibly rare, having been last recorded in (I think, from memory) 1994.

3. Vinegar does not stop pain from stings. It stops further injury by stopping additional venom from entering the body. This may be critical in borderline envenomation cases.

4. Freshwater causes all marine stinging cells to discharge through a process called osmotic action. This simply involves molecular uptake of H2O across the salinity gradient and across the cell wall, until the nematocyst (= stinging cell) ruptures, with the typical weakest point being the capsule operculum (lid). If the stinging cells happen to be facing toward your skin when this happens (likely if they have been left there by a jellyfish), then penetration through the skin (and injection of venom) is likely.

5. Heat causes capillary dilation, which is thought to potentially increase both the speed and amount of venom uptake. This could be critical in borderline envenomation cases.

6. Heat reduces pain through various neurological processes in the body, not through venom denaturation, as is commonly thought. Jellyfish venoms denature rapidly at 60 degrees C. At lower temperatures, venom denaturation would take longer than the venom would remain at the sting site, particularly if capillary dilation were acting to transfer the venom into the blood stream.

The current recommendation from the Australian Resuscitation Council is (paraphrased):

1. For any known or suspected box jellyfish or Irukandji sting, use vinegar.

2. For any TROPICAL sting of unknown origin, use vinegar.

3. For CONFIRMED bluebottle stings OUTSIDE THE TROPICS, rinse well with seawater, then immerse in 45 degree C water for 20 minutes; if 45 degree C water for 20 minutes is unavailable or the temperature cannot be safely regulated, rinse well with seawater then use ice for the pain.

4. For unknown stings OUTSIDE THE TROPICS, rinse well with seawater then use ice for the pain.

In other words, in the tropics, use vinegar. For boxies and Irukandjis, use vinegar. In Thailand, use vinegar. Outside the tropics only use hot water if you know for sure it is a blue bottle (not because there's anything peculiar about blue bottles and hot water, just because the Australian bluebottle, Physalia utriculus, is highly unlikely to kill, and causes tens of thousands of stings per year along temperate Australian beaches).

Would love to hear from SimonSubsonic and those stings off Lamai if possible.

Womble, big box jellyfish swim at around 3-4 knots which is probably as fast as you plus they have visual sensors providing them with directional navigation - they normally try and avoid obstacles such as you and I - and there's evidence that they have an afternoon nap on the seafloor (though the Thais in 2002 wouldn't have known that).

Morning glory is also a remedy used by Australian aborigines and others in the Indo-Pacific though it is believed to be a mild analgesic relieving pain and does not stop the sting cells from firing - BTW, each tentacle has millions & millions of stinging cells with each firing at 40,000Gs to inject the lethal cardiotoxin.

There was also a well intentioned but incorrect post here saying that the Phangan 2002 deaths were allergic reactions or anaphylaxis and the 2008 death at Lanta was also attributed to this; however, this is wrong and unheard of scientifically (actually there have been 2 allergic deaths from jellyfish that were not box jellyfish, 1 was a dog and the other a Greek princess). The venom from a box jellyfish is the most toxic known to man and it is what kills and kills very quickly.

The risk of getting stung is not high but if it happens you're probably dead in a few minutes. There was also a box jellyfish fatality on Samui in 1999 (British tourist, Chaweng beach) and there have been sightings in the area. Perhaps a good beachgoing habit is to carry a bottle of vinegar just in case.

• 4 months later...

December 2008 I got stung by a tiny jellyfish unbelievable pain, paralysis, stopped breathing and experienced heart problems for 48 hrs. Put me in ICU for three days. Without Oxygen on the dive vessel I would of been in real trouble.

This was just one small part of a jellyfish (fingernail) that fell on my arm from a wetsuit after diving, I have thousands of dives in Thai waters and have seen one box jelly ! my case has been observed toxicology reports looked over and confirmed by several Australian Drs to be Irakanji syndrome.

Im back in the water now with no wetsuit again, but only when there hasn't been a strong monsoon blowing from the North East , it seems the buggers follow this weather pattern. However my first few stings from harmless sea lice had my heart and sphincter going. :)

Is it a box???

I live in far North Queensland (Oz) where we live with box jelly and another little bugger that is much, much worse than the box jelly, introducing the Irakanji.

The Irakanji is a very small jelly, its body is the size of your thumb nail and its tenticles are upto 10 metres long, they kill a few people a year in our area, mainly causing heart problems with the young and old. They are virtually invisible, and we have only known about them for a few years, before that we always blamed the box jelly.

I'm no expert on the matter but heres a few things we do in this neck of the woods to stay safe....

Here, It's normal to wear a full body swim suit, made out of ladies stocking material (sorta???), very lightweight, not hot and acts as a great sunscreen too. If you cant get your hands on one then a long sleeved shirt and long pants will help, go to the market and buy the lightest weight material you can.

If your a hairy bugger like me then your chances of being stung is reduced greatly, the hair stops them from attatching to your skin, which they must do to attack.

Our council maintains "vinegar stations" at each beach. Two litre bottles of vinegar waiting to be used as first aid. The vinegar works very well to encourage the stinger to let go. Whatever you do DONT try and remove the stinger by force, like picking at it with fingers or anything else for that matter. The more you annoy the stinger the more its gunna keep pumping you with its poison.

Maybe someone needs to approach the boss of the island and get these vinegar stations up and running there. Pretty simple stuff, a pole in the ground/sand, something to hold a bottle in, a bottle of vinegar and a nice big sign telling everyone what its all about and how to use it. Of course someone has to keep maintaining the bottles as you will always have nut-cases prepared to nick the vinegar, you cant have it under pad lock and key. It works, it saves lives.

Good luck with it all.

Clarkey, bring a small bottle of Stingose with you from Oz when you come to KPG. You never know when it could be a life-saver.

The locals don't have any experience on how to treat Jellyfish stings - I've seen them rub the victim down with all kinds of aggravating stuff on wounds, from sand to alcohol and Aloe Vera.

Fell free to PM me if you want some local knowledge on KPG - it may save you some time sorting out accommodation etc when you get here.

Is it a box???

I live in far North Queensland (Oz) where we live with box jelly and another little bugger that is much, much worse than the box jelly, introducing the Irakanji.

The Irakanji is a very small jelly, its body is the size of your thumb nail and its tenticles are upto 10 metres long, they kill a few people a year in our area, mainly causing heart problems with the young and old. They are virtually invisible, and we have only known about them for a few years, before that we always blamed the box jelly.

I'm no expert on the matter but heres a few things we do in this neck of the woods to stay safe....

Here, It's normal to wear a full body swim suit, made out of ladies stocking material (sorta???), very lightweight, not hot and acts as a great sunscreen too. If you cant get your hands on one then a long sleeved shirt and long pants will help, go to the market and buy the lightest weight material you can.

If your a hairy bugger like me then your chances of being stung is reduced greatly, the hair stops them from attatching to your skin, which they must do to attack.

Our council maintains "vinegar stations" at each beach. Two litre bottles of vinegar waiting to be used as first aid. The vinegar works very well to encourage the stinger to let go. Whatever you do DONT try and remove the stinger by force, like picking at it with fingers or anything else for that matter. The more you annoy the stinger the more its gunna keep pumping you with its poison.

Maybe someone needs to approach the boss of the island and get these vinegar stations up and running there. Pretty simple stuff, a pole in the ground/sand, something to hold a bottle in, a bottle of vinegar and a nice big sign telling everyone what its all about and how to use it. Of course someone has to keep maintaining the bottles as you will always have nut-cases prepared to nick the vinegar, you cant have it under pad lock and key. It works, it saves lives.

Good luck with it all.

Interesting and helpful post....unfortunately a bottle of vinegar holds some financial value and would probably be stolen in minutes.....best keep to a BYO policy!

December 2008 I got stung by a tiny jellyfish unbelievable pain, paralysis, stopped breathing and experienced heart problems for 48 hrs. Put me in ICU for three days. Without Oxygen on the dive vessel I would of been in real trouble.

This was just one small part of a jellyfish (fingernail) that fell on my arm from a wetsuit after diving, I have thousands of dives in Thai waters and have seen one box jelly ! my case has been observed toxicology reports looked over and confirmed by several Australian Drs to be Irakanji syndrome.

Im back in the water now with no wetsuit again, but only when there hasn't been a strong monsoon blowing from the North East , it seems the buggers follow this weather pattern. However my first few stings from harmless sea lice had my heart and sphincter going. :)

A Thai friend of me, was stung badly on his arm a year ago, when swimming near Fisherman Village . He was very lucky, but have alot of scars.

• 2 years later...

Is it a box???

Good luck with it all.

well it does com in handy when you are on the beach with a bag full if fish and chips B)

• 2 weeks later...