Jellyfish stings

My girlfriend took some photos of this jellyfish washed up on Choeng Mon Beach today...can anyone identify it?

Jellyfish 1

Jellyfish 2

Don't know their name but to the best of my knowledge they're not dangerous. One person to ask would be John Lippmann at DAN AP. He's an authority on these creatures and will tell you the name of them, he's also very interested in where and when they are found.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend took some photos of this jellyfish washed up on Choeng Mon Beach today...can anyone identify it?

Jellyfish 1

Jellyfish 2

I don't know the name of it but the most it can do is give you a little brief annoying itch from sea lice

Talking about Sea Lice ............. Im not sure what is really is but the last many years we always feel the small stings when in the water at Chaweng ! Didnt see any jellyfish and it stop to sting after getting out of the water......Whats that ! Its so annoying and yes both family and friends have experienced it many times, so its not just me forgetting to take a shower ohmy.gif

Jellyfish 1

Jellyfish 2

I don't know the name of it but the most it can do is give you a little brief annoying itch from sea lice

Talking about Sea Lice ............. Im not sure what is really is but the last many years we always feel the small stings when in the water at Chaweng ! Didnt see any jellyfish and it stop to sting after getting out of the water......Whats that ! Its so annoying and yes both family and friends have experienced it many times, so its not just me forgetting to take a shower ohmy.gif

haha yes that sounds like sea lice, they can be annoying, they love latching on to stuff like bodily hair too smile.gif

haha yes that sounds like sea lice, they can be annoying, they love latching on to stuff like bodily hair too smile.gif

Yep - they can give you a bit of a tickle, but I thought that they only came out when the water was nice and warm (Mar/Apr)? B)

Yeah soup-like waters.

I think also when you get a small section of surface water not moving with the current, in a sand gutter briefly stagnating and gathering floating debris with kelp or mossy weed attached.

i am sorry to say that i was stug by a jelly fish and the muth of pissing on yourself does work :D

I took the piss out of meseld and it done the trick.

I want to see tha,t if you get stung on your back or better still your face.:)

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd post this... Stinger suits from the Stinger Suit Co. are sold by Sunsail (TUI Marine) in Bangrak on Samui. Don't know about pricing but they're about 50-60 Aussie dollars down in Oz. I swim a lot alone, prefer empty beaches, far from beach etc... No one there to help in case I hit a boxie. Might buy a suit...

Edited by AngThong

Thought I'd post this... Stinger suits from the Stinger Suit Co. are sold by Sunsail (TUI Marine) in Bangrak on Samui. Don't know about pricing but they're about 50-60 Aussie dollars down in Oz. I swim a lot alone, prefer empty beaches, far from beach etc... No one there to help in case I hit a boxie. Might buy a suit...

I rather take my chance with the boxie's than put a body size stocking on while swimming. w00t.gif

I rather take my chance with the boxie's than put a body size stocking on while swimming. w00t.gif

Fair enough. Me too when I have company but when I'm alone, there's no one to see the pantyhose - or help...

If you've seen someone after falling coconuts on his head you would not hesitate to wear a full-face helmet

and knight's armour for potential attacks of the buffalows

and around that a beekeeper net

and a helipack in case of sudden earth openings

Time to be aware of box, irukandji and morkeba jelly fish in southern Gulf , is from start of NE monsoon to the end of it. Plus another month of Sw winds to help clear them.

Be particularly careful after a large blow that has lasted several days from the NE monsoon, these things are getting more and more prevalent.

Edited by stiggy

Time to be aware of box, irukandji and morkeba jelly fish in southern Gulf , is from start of NE monsoon to the end of it. Plus another month of Sw winds to help clear them.

Be particularly careful after a large blow that has lasted several days from the NE monsoon, these things are getting more and more prevalent.

Which months would that be? May-Nov (Dec)?

Yeah no doubt more and more people will be hit as they get more numerous here. Maybe it'll be like W Australia one day, hopefully not too soon...

Normally Oct - Jan is peak for sightings so far.

Cheers.

Water is too cold then to swim anyway. Anything below 30 Celsius, brrrrr

Lol! Before Thailand, I'd never even been in anything warmer than 27-28 C and usually more like 21-22.

Which months would that be? May-Nov (Dec)?

Yeah no doubt more and more people will be hit as they get more numerous here. Maybe it'll be like W Australia one day, hopefully not too soon...

I think you might mean 'Northern' Australia. WA is no worse than North QLD as far as boxies go.

• 5 months later...

Had an encounter of the unpleasant kind during my morning swim today in Lamai. I felt the tentacles wrap around my arm and then sharp pain. I got stung 3 separate times, on both my arms and left thigh. I swim near Hin Ta Hin Yai.

Every day I get little stings from I don't know what because I can't see them and the sting hurts only a very short time, rarely leaves welts but this morning,

I had to cut my swim short, I came out of the water with welts on my forearms, really burning (yes, I was swearing a lot)

(and yes, pee did soothe the pain)

I never saw what stung me, I figured that I'd be dead if it was a box jellyfish (maybe I'm wrong here) but I did feel tentacles around my arm.

If you heard a blood curdling scream in Lamai this morning, it might have been me tongue.png

What stung me do you think?

grinded sea morning glory(Ipomoea pes - caprae (Lin.X Sweet)) and applied it on

The hole plant or just the flowers?

The leaves only. Just tear them a bit, crush them in your hand, and wipe over the affected spot. All the native fishermen throughout the Andaman use them for jellyfish stings. Works wonders! thumbsup.gif

The leaves only. Just tear them a bit, crush them in your hand, and wipe over the affected spot. All the native fishermen throughout the Andaman use them for jellyfish stings. Works wonders! thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif>

Unfortunately there's no scientific proof for this and box jelly fish stings may not react or it may worsen the situation. Vinegar is the way to go with box jelly stings. Not every jelly sting is the same and can be taken care of in the same way.

Had an encounter of the unpleasant kind during my morning swim today in Lamai. I felt the tentacles wrap around my arm and then sharp pain. I got stung 3 separate times, on both my arms and left thigh. I swim near Hin Ta Hin Yai.

Every day I get little stings from I don't know what because I can't see them and the sting hurts only a very short time, rarely leaves welts but this morning,

I had to cut my swim short, I came out of the water with welts on my forearms, really burning (yes, I was swearing a lot)

I never saw what stung me, I figured that I'd be dead if it was a box jellyfish (maybe I'm wrong here) but I did feel tentacles around my arm.

If you heard a blood curdling scream in Lamai this morning, it might have been me tongue.png

That's very hard to say but it's not likely that it was a box jellyfish, you may not have died but you have had excruciating pain, probably more than you had now and the stings would become scars over time.

Two days ago an Australian tourist was stung severely on Choengmon beach

Edited by limbos

Sorry to here about your discomfort.

I would guess at a Portugese Man o' War (Bluebottle to Aussies).

I have seen these washed up on beaches here on Samui. We used to see them a lot in Sydney, but rarely see them here. (Mind you, I have not been to the beach much of late.)

Might not technically be a jellyfish - but they hurt like one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o%27_war

The leaves only. Just tear them a bit, crush them in your hand, and wipe over the affected spot. All the native fishermen throughout the Andaman use them for jellyfish stings. Works wonders! Posted Image alt=thumbsup.gif>
Unfortunately there's no scientific proof for this and box jelly fish stings may not react or it may worsen the situation. Vinegar is the way to go with box jelly stings. Not every jelly sting is the same and can be taken care of in the same way.

You may have your head in a book, but I learned directly from the Andaman fishermen, have applied the remedy to myself and others who suffered stings. You should get out of the library and into the real environment.

That being said, I was referring to jellies in general, not specifically the box jelly. Sorry for any ambiguity.