Can A Foreign Tourist Open A Bank Account In Bangkok?

I need a bank account in Bangkok as my Thai friends often ask me to buy stuff (fashion, gadgets) from overseas while I'm overseas.

Which bank should I head to? I'm just on 30-days visa-free entry.

question 2, if i draw money regularly from overseas, will there be any problem?

thanks for help

If you have read here there are numerous threads on TV related to this very question.

Pick a bank and go ask. They are all about the same as for the services they offer and most will open an account.

If you get a no at one then go next door and ask them.

Bottom line is you can open an account, have an ATM/debit card.

As for question 2? Don't think you will have an problems but TIT

I need a bank account in Bangkok as my Thai friends often ask me to buy stuff (fashion, gadgets) from overseas while I'm overseas.

thanks for help

You used to be able to but I'm pretty sure a foreigner now needs a work permit to open a Thai bank account.

thanks for help

You used to be able to but I'm pretty sure a foreigner now needs a work permit to open a Thai bank account.

"I'm pretty sure" actually means nothing but "i have no freaking idea but present an (un)educated guess". two of my friends opened bank accounts a few months ago whilst on a 30 day visa waiver, another one got his account a few days ago (Siam Commercial). all it took was having a little polite small talk with the bank's branch manager and a bundle of cash :o

thanks for help

"I'm pretty sure" actually means nothing but "i have no freaking idea but present an (un)educated guess". two of my friends opened bank accounts a few months ago whilst on a 30 day visa waiver, another one got his account a few days ago (Siam Commercial). all it took was having a little polite small talk with the bank's branch manager and a bundle of cash :o

I said 'pretty sure' because I have recently opened x2 bank accounts, x1 at Krung Thai the other at Bangkok Bank and both said I needed a WP to open an account so I do have a 'freaking idea' and it wasn't an uneducated guess either. Yet another total prick who uses this website and is always eager to knock people who are giving genuine advice. Bullied at school were you?

Suggest the OP scroll down the current list of posts and the few that follow (and/or do a forum search using keywords like "Thai bank"). You will find threads on "which bank is best for farang" or "which bank will do X, Y or Z" appearing every few days (often because those posters didn't bother searching before posting either).

The main thing to realise, as you will see, if the inconsistent and arbitrary application by branch staff of real/imagined/superceded bank head office rules re: account opening and other issues. As I think someone has suggested, if the first bank (or branch of the same bank) says no then go the the second and third - until someone says yes. The suggestion that a work permit is needed is a myth (although there are many reports in TV of people being told this). I wouldn't rule out, however, the possibility that there are specific types of accounts for which this may be required.

Re: Question 2, I don't understand - what sort of trouble? trouble with who???

thanks for help

I said 'pretty sure' because I have recently opened x2 bank accounts, x1 at Krung Thai the other at Bangkok Bank and both said I needed a WP to open an account so I do have a 'freaking idea' and it wasn't an uneducated guess either. Yet another total prick who uses this website and is always eager to knock people who are giving genuine advice. Bullied at school were you?

Friend just opened acct at Siam comm. with 30 day VOA. This was upcountry though. Have had others open in BKK on tourist visa. Try Siam or Kasikorn. Look at other posters not just someone who has a problem opening an acct

Three years ago I opened an account with Bangkok Bank with no problems at all. After moving to Ratchaburi I went to open an account at the Bangkok Bank here and they said no I can't open an account. Then I showed them I had one in Bangkok and why not here. The bankers looked dump founded and opened my account. A few weeks ago my wife and I went to open an account at Khung Thai Bank. They said no I had to have a work permit, my wife started to fight with them that I had one with Bangkok Bank why not here. They had no answer except need work permit. I laughed and said forget about it, I don't' need this crap. A person on a retirement visa needs to show money in a Thai bank but the Thai bank says you can't open an account without a work permit shows you how stupid these bank employees are. TIT

Three years ago I opened an account with Bangkok Bank with no problems at all. After moving to Ratchaburi I went to open an account at the Bangkok Bank here and they said no I can't open an account. Then I showed them I had one in Bangkok and why not here. The bankers looked dump founded and opened my account. A few weeks ago my wife and I went to open an account at Khung Thai Bank. They said no I had to have a work permit, my wife started to fight with them that I had one with Bangkok Bank why not here. They had no answer except need work permit. I laughed and said forget about it, I don't' need this crap. A person on a retirement visa needs to show money in a Thai bank but the Thai bank says you can't open an account without a work permit shows you how stupid these bank employees are. TIT

Now that's much closer to reality! I opened an account with BKK Bank many years ago when I was coming here only on Tourist visas, no problem at all. If you get problems, then it will all be due to bloody-mindidness, sheer ignorance or just indifference on the part of that bank's staff. Laugh, walk out and go next door!