Remote Desktop Control Through Home Network

keestha

In my resort, I use 4 computers. 3 Desktops are downstairs in the office, they are used by guests to access the internet. Myself, I use the laptop which is upstairs in the restaurant, and connects to the internet through WIFI.

For music in the restaurant, I use internet radio. The speakers are connected to one of the computers in the office. Quite frequently, the music stops, and I have to go downstairs where the problem can be solved with just a mouse click. Not so practical to have to go downstairs for this often. I would like to download and install a program which enables me to access and control the "music computer" through the laptop upstairs in the restaurant, using the LAN (home network).

Using the laptop for the internet radio wouldn't work I think, the WIFI signal strength is often poor, and besides that the laptop is quite an ancient one.

Does anybody know about usable, preferably free software?

Suggestions appreciated, Kees.

In my resort, I use 4 computers. 3 Desktops are downstairs in the office, they are used by guests to access the internet. Myself, I use the laptop which is upstairs in the restaurant, and connects to the internet through WIFI.

For music in the restaurant, I use internet radio. The speakers are connected to one of the computers in the office. Quite frequently, the music stops, and I have to go downstairs where the problem can be solved with just a mouse click. Not so practical to have to go downstairs for this often. I would like to download and install a program which enables me to access and control the "music computer" through the laptop upstairs in the restaurant, using the LAN (home network).

Using the laptop for the internet radio wouldn't work I think, the WIFI signal strength is often poor, and besides that the laptop is quite an ancient one.

Does anybody know about usable, preferably free software?

Suggestions appreciated, Kees.

RealVNC for instance.

If you are using WinXP professional or Vista business or higher then you already have Remote Desktop Connection software. I think its in the accessories folder in the start menu. It works quite well, but worth considering running it over a VPN like Hamachi for security, particularly if you don't encrypt your wireless. You can set it up to only accept connections over the VPN connection.

Tywais and Goyave,

Thanks a zillion, you guys made my day. The program you recommanded functions beautifully. Crushdepth also thanks for the input. For halfway computer literate people like me, it can be much more effective to ask a question in this forum, than to hassle around endlessly in the internet, downloading programs that don't work, or discovering too late they are only offering a free trial period.