Help- Strange Bitter Taste To Som Tam (papaya Salad)

Svenn

hi all,

i've been trying to make som tam over the last few weeks here in usa, and i've done everything to the book with three different papayas and different times. i keep getting this nasty, bitter, orange-peel like taste in the som tam everytime, and i know that it's not right because i've never tasted it before in thailand or in thai restaurants here in usa. I checked everything- i ate a papaya shred raw- no problem there, the limes are fresh, tomatoes are fresh, fish sauce is fresh, etc., everything is new and tastes fine on itself, but when i combine them, i get that bitter taste, like i said, most akin to gnawing on an orange peel after brushing your teeth or something...

Maybe the exported papayas are just too old or something? i'm eating my latest version now, this one tastes better, i used a smaller papaya this time, but i still taste it a little.

hi all,

i've been trying to make som tam over the last few weeks here in usa, and i've done everything to the book with three different papayas and different times. i keep getting this nasty, bitter, orange-peel like taste in the som tam everytime, and i know that it's not right because i've never tasted it before in thailand or in thai restaurants here in usa. I checked everything- i ate a papaya shred raw- no problem there, the limes are fresh, tomatoes are fresh, fish sauce is fresh, etc., everything is new and tastes fine on itself, but when i combine them, i get that bitter taste, like i said, most akin to gnawing on an orange peel after brushing your teeth or something...

Maybe the exported papayas are just too old or something? i'm eating my latest version now, this one tastes better, i used a smaller papaya this time, but i still taste it a little.

Sounds like your Krok might be a t fault. Get a new one.

Have a nice day.

IMHO making som tam is more of an art than a task. Kind of like making good chile or pasta sauce, you either have the talent or don't. Ever notice here in Thailand there is no such thing as OK som tam, it is either really good or total <deleted>?

Have a nice day.

what is a krok? if it's the mortar and pestle, i'm not using that, just squeezing with my hands.

IMHO making som tam is more of an art than a task. Kind of like making good chile or pasta sauce, you either have the talent or don't. Ever notice here in Thailand there is no such thing as OK som tam, it is either really good or total <deleted>?

i don't understand how it could be an art, cuz the ingredients are so small and the combination is pretty simple... but evidently there is something to it. lol, i can fork down the som tam i make, but yes, it's more out of nostalgia rather than enjoying the taste... i've tasted much better som tam in thailand.

I'm actually not getting the orange-peel taste in the batch I just made, but it still doesn't taste right. since fish sauce is the only bottled item in the ingredients, maybe that's the problem, anyone can recommend good brand?

Edited by Svenn

Have a nice day.

what is a krok? if it's the mortar and pestle, i'm not using that, just squeezing with my hands.

i don't understand how it could be an art, cuz the ingredients are so small and the combination is pretty simple... but evidently there is something to it. lol, i can fork down the som tam i make, but yes, it's more out of nostalgia rather than enjoying the taste... i've tasted much better som tam in thailand.

Ah, there-in may lie your problem. The "art" part is in the selecting and combining of ingredients, as i said like in gumbo or chile. There are at least hundreds of possibilities. If you travel around Thailand you will find vast differences in taste, ingredients, temperature, et al. I love the stuff and the best I ever eaten was in Nong Khai, the worst, Bangkok. Remember, your expectations are based on what you have eaten here and if you get close to that you may have to accept that's as good as it gets. My wife is a very good cook but cannot come even close to edible som tam, but luckily we have an excellent shop near by.

Now this is serious stuff, a thread that is not about Obama, visa runs, cheating wives, etc. Thanks.

I don't know this can help or not

1. when you peel the papaya check it not have a green peel on them

2. about lemon( limeade) I don't know what kind of lemon you use cause some can give a bitter tast from skin maybe you can try to peel the lemon or limeaed in bottle

Edited by sunisa

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know this can help or not

1. when you peel the papaya check it not have a green peel on them

2. about lemon( limeade) I don't know what kind of lemon you use cause some can give a bitter tast from skin maybe you can try to peel the lemon or limeaed in bottle

ya, i heard bout the bitter taste from lime skin from my wife also, so try not to squeeze all the juice out or too hard. :D the art of making som tam, :o i tried doing it twice, still edible, as long as it doesnt taste like <deleted>, its fine with me.

• 2 months later...
hi all,

Are you using Tamarind in it?

• 3 weeks later...