Another Cnx Immigration Anomaly?

chiangmaibruce

I read with interest the Nov "Citylife" mag "What's Up at Immigration" section (p30) based on a series of questions put to Sup. Pol. Col. Prayut Chommalee.

Amongst other things this states that "To receive the spousal visa you no longer need to have the whopping 400,000 baht sitting in the bank..." .... just proof of 40,000 baht per month income.

Well only a week or two ago we visited CNX immigration to see about renewing my 12 month visa. First we were handed a colour brochure, then we spoke to a junior on the front counter, then we asked to speak with a senior member of staff sitting at one of the desks. All sources confirmed that both the bank account and income criteria applied.

Can others please confirm their own recent experiences on this point?

Another annoyance is the fact that other Thai assets like managed funds or share holdings were not suitable - the money had to be in the form of a bank account.

All sources confirmed that both the bank account and income criteria applied.

The problem (change) is highlighted in bold. It has been 40k combined income (or 400k in bank if grandfathered) required not both.

The 400,000 baht rule only applies to persons who were on an extension based on marriage before October 2006. For new cases only the 40,000 baht income option is available.

I can only state that on the visa and workpermit forum nobody has indicated this change. The rules of the Thai immigration, as set by Thai Police Order 606/2549 have not been changed.

However the text is a little bit confusing.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf is from immigration itself.

http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_O...er_Oct_2006.pdf is from Sunbelt. (legal firm)

The translation of Sunbelt states how immigration applies the extension of stay based on marriage in point 7.17. But the actual text of immigration states it differently.

Regardless of the immigration rules and regulations, it's down to the interpretation of the officer dealing with your application...and what mood he's in. The captain at Phuket immigration advised me last year that he required 40K/month income AND 400K in the bank. When I wrote to the Phuket Gazette and had them check out his 'interpretation', he backed down and said proof of 40K month income would PROBABLY suffice :o Safest bet is to show both!

geoffphuket

Thank you Mario. -I read those two references. They do seem to support the comment in "CityLife" rather than the view of other sources I mentioned, ie. you only need the 400,000 baht account if you can't prove that you meet the income criteria.

The problem - as Geoff - has hinted at is that I am not going to win any friends waving a copy of their own law under their noses. Might just get ready to provide proof of both.

As said, the 400,000 option is only available to cases from before Oct. 2006 and doesn't apply to new cases. New cases only have the option of showing a combined family income of 40,000 a month (wife and husband together).

Indeed it wouldn't be wise to wave a copy of the rules in their face. Better to refer to the interview with the Colonel and you understood differently, that you have friends in BKK who also only have to show 40,000 a month and if they can please check again.

Good luck.

Indeed it wouldn't be wise to wave a copy of the rules in their face.

you have friends in BKK who also only have to show 40,000 a month

Yes, do not wave the rules in their faces but also do not mention friends or others who are not required to follow the rules you are required to follow. That will have no good result for them or you.

Geoff said it "it's down to the interpretation of the officer dealing with your application" and that is the way it is. Live with it.

Hi,

Having read lots of threads on the spousal route to a one year extention - it's not clear to me about the "income"

Does it have to be shown as coming in each month into a Thai bank account? or... (as I read in one post) just be shown to be any income into say a UK account of that amount - which is then verified by the British embassy?

KInd regards,

Jeff

Hi,

Having read lots of threads on the spousal route to a one year extention - it's not clear to me about the "income"

Does it have to be shown as coming in each month into a Thai bank account? or... (as I read in one post) just be shown to be any income into say a UK account of that amount - which is then verified by the British embassy?

KInd regards,

Jeff

You need a family income of 40,000 baht a month. That is the income of you and your spouse combined, so it doesn't only have to be you.

Income from within Thailand needs to be proofed with tax documents. Income from abroad needs to be certified with a letter from your embassy and doesn't need to be received on a Thai bankaccount. Your embassy determines what they will accept as proof.

It is always useful to bring a Thai bankbook allong to immigration, to show you have money to live from. They might ask for this. There is no set amount they wil want to see and 20,000 is always more then enough.

i have to say that my experience with CM imm was fine , yes they want to see you pay tax , you dont need to show money in bank well i didnt , i just had to show i was paying tax for the 40,000 a month

lets say it PAYS to know the right people there , i got my 1 year multiple entry after 2 weeks and no problems at all