Where To Go In December

dginoob

I am heading back to Thailand (only my second time) in December for just over 2 weeks and I'd like some ideas as to where to go. Last time (in July) I spent time in Pattaya, Phuket and Koh Samui. This time I'd like to try somewhere different. The only concrete plans I have now is to go to the full moon party over new year. I was thinking of trying Chiang Mai but I've no idea what its like. The naughty nightlife doesnt interest me but I do want somewhere with a vibrant bar/club scene. Can anyone tell me a bit about Chiang Mai - things to do etc and what the night lifes like?

If you are into full moon stuff, go to Pai from CM. Not CM.

CM has limited 'naughty' nightlife, but if you want to meet 'real' Thai people, you may meet them here.

Things to do (apart from fall in lurrve)

go to the zoo

go up the mountain

go rafting

go jungle zip line sliding

see hilltribes

see awesome jungles/mountains

go to the hot springs

see temples

not see another 'farang' for at least 3 day (my record)

go to mookata barbeque and stuff yourself silly

save money compared to phuket/pattaya

ermm...

rent a bike, travel free with little police interference

join a hells angels gang

vibrant bar/club scene.. hmmm ... there are more Thai musicians here than you can shake a stick at. dam_n good too. As for farang puffing your chest out on Yabba disco beats, i have no idea but i bet its just great. Again, you may need a Thai guide as CM is more geared towards Thais, than bars catering for sunburnt Europeans with loose wallets and too many bottles of alcopop.

Bars... loads and loads, vibrant? - the Thai bars will be, maybe not all the farang bars, but you will need a Thai friend to show you where they are!

what else to do in two weeks?

I planned to stay two weeks.....

im here 2 years later.

Edited by UKWEBPRO

Thanks for the reply mate. All those things sound great (like the sort of things I was meant to do in July but emm... never got round to). I'm not sure what you meant by "If you are into full moon stuff, go to Pai from CM. Not CM."? What did you mean?

As for having a Thai guide, I will be going with a Thai friend but she has never been there before so I don't think she'll be much of a guide.

Also, where would you recommend to stay in Chiang Mai? What sort of prices can I expect to pay in December?

Thanks

Mark

Jungle zip line sliding? Now THAT caught my attention!

Been there, done that? Only have my imagination to go on but it sounds like fun. Also looking for anyone who has tried 'jumpy-bungy' (as my Thai wife calls it) and knows of a safe place.

Not so much for me but my wife who is also into adventure to da max. We fly microlights and she has experienced skydiving, but yet another leap into the abyss would be a real kick for her.

Jungle zip line sliding? Now THAT caught my attention!

Been there, done that? Only have my imagination to go on but it sounds like fun. Also looking for anyone who has tried 'jumpy-bungy' (as my Thai wife calls it) and knows of a safe place.

Not so much for me but my wife who is also into adventure to da max. We fly microlights and she has experienced skydiving, but yet another leap into the abyss would be a real kick for her.

Cannot help you with the jumpy but the jungle zip gliding is probably Flight of the Gibbons. You cannot miss their advertisements in CM. Every hotel has their folders.

Cheers

R

Chiang Mai is a good choice naughty life or not, enjoy the cool brisk fresh Air, visit a few wineries for a little wine tasting. They Vineyards are beautiful. Great scenery in mountain. By all mean bring a couple of nice warm Jackets(dress warmly) it can be bit cool around the CM area this time of year. A little by trip to Nan a nice little town to the south east of CM could be well worth the time a effort, wonderful local some great shopping. :o

December is the best time to visit the northern city Chiangmai, its cool and cold in the mountain and get yourself warm visit the Hotspring, take a dip in the pool or put your feet in the warm water it simply feels great. Lots of fun and great food you could enjoy in Chiangmai.

Chiang Mai is a good choice naughty life or not, enjoy the cool brisk fresh Air, visit a few wineries for a little wine tasting. They Vineyards are beautiful. Great scenery in mountain. By all mean bring a couple of nice warm Jackets(dress warmly) it can be bit cool around the CM area this time of year. A little by trip to Nan a nice little town to the south east of CM could be well worth the time a effort, wonderful local some great shopping. :o

Where are the vineyards?! I'd like to go to one of them for sure.

Where are the vineyards?! I'd like to go to one of them for sure.

No, you don't. Really.