Selling A Car Without A Work Permit

Lithobid

I'm unloading my used truck at a local car dealer, and I no longer have a work permit. The man who runs the shop told me I have to go and get something from the Consulate that states, I'm going to sell the car. Any details?? Things I should prepare before hand??

Any Help Appreciated!

Cheeers

Lithobid!

???? why? the two are not related, you bought the truck, registered in your name now you are selling, a simple case of transfering ownership which I have done inthe past, never had a work permit and never invlolved the consulate.

You will need a certificate of residence,which you can get from your local immigration office,and copy's from your current visa and entry stamp.No workpermit needed.

I just got a certificate of residence for renewing my drivers license about 3 weeks ago, do you think that will still work, or should I get one with newer dates? THey are expensive, 1000BHT or so.

Lithobid

You will need a certificate of residence,which you can get from your local immigration office,and copy's from your current visa and entry stamp.No workpermit needed.

I just got a certificate of residence for renewing my drivers license about 3 weeks ago, do you think that will still work, or should I get one with newer dates? THey are expensive, 1000BHT or so.

Lithobid

Certificate of residence when you get it at the immigration office should not be more then 200 baht.

I have previous years heard of stories that you need a WP to buy or sell your car, this is just something the dealer wants to create extra paper work for you... All you should need is a copy of your passport and a valid visa...

I know that when I bought my Triton a few years back the dealer asked my Thai friend if foreigners can own cars in Thailand... (That was a good laugh)...

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of ignorant car dealers... (They did want me to get a guarantor for my triton, even if I paid cash)...

All these problems were fixed and I bought it on only my Passport with a Non B visa... I sold it with only using my passport too, and then I went to the transport department...

Good luck... (PS, it is more complicated if you sell the car in a different provice than you bought it in. They are not very good on computers here in this country)...

Thanks guys sounds like the typical Thailand story, a million ways depending on who's following what rules. My dealer is asking for a proof of residence , so I guess I'll goto the embassy tomorow and get another one. (looked at my old one, and there's a box to check for selling a vehicle.) Thanks for the input, I think I understand what he wants now.

"Certificate of residence when you get it at the immigration office should not be more then 200 baht. " - basjke

basjke - As far as I know Immagration does not issue these, you have to get them at the Consulate, or Embassy of your nation, prices vary for all countries, USA has been 1000BHT for at least 6 months now, and used to be 500BHT, these things change, when's the last time you went to get one??

"Certificate of residence when you get it at the immigration office should not be more then 200 baht. " - basjke

basjke - As far as I know Immagration does not issue these, you have to get them at the Consulate, or Embassy of your nation, prices vary for all countries, USA has been 1000BHT for at least 6 months now, and used to be 500BHT, these things change, when's the last time you went to get one??

You can get certificate of residence at immagration office and some will not charge anything.

Thanks guys sounds like the typical Thailand story, a million ways depending on who's following what rules. My dealer is asking for a proof of residence , so I guess I'll goto the embassy tomorow and get another one. (looked at my old one, and there's a box to check for selling a vehicle.) Thanks for the input, I think I understand what he wants now.

Well in that case immigration has issued me and all those other posters on this forum illegal documents for years.Shame on them.

Well in that case immigration has issued me and all those other posters on this forum illegal documents for years.Shame on them.

Well, like most things in Thailand, I don't think it's that cut and dry. I spoke with the US Embassy today, and they told me that all visa processing requires their form for proof of residence. I then went to Immigration here in CM, and was told by 3 different officers that a proof of residence can only be issued at my Embassy. I'm wondering if things are different where you live, as I know these things are never certain.

Again, this is the same Embassy that changed my friend's 30 Entry stamp to a NON-EDU visa 1 week. And the next week, I tried the same thing and had to goto BKK then wait 2 weeks, and then go back and get my visa. I think its a matter of who wants to follow the rules, or (who knows the rules) and who's working that day. Also things dramatically change from one ต. ม. to the other.

It's not a matter of "shame on them" as you say, just what particular protocol they have been told to follow, and changes in that protocol. I would think after being here for a number of years, you can certainly appreciate that.

Lithobid

Things are always different every year. In the past foreigners don't need a certificate of living for selling a car. But now it's new again. (Amaising Thailand).

The current situation in Bangkok and Pattaya:

As a foreigner, you need a "Certificate of living" issued by the immigratuon to sell your car. No embassy or consulate involved. U need to show a electric or telephone bill or a rental contract of your condo or house or what ever, in your name to show the immigration. Cost is 500 (not 200) Baht.

For each case you need a new certificate of living. Original issued by the Immigration. Copies aren't possible.

Things are always different every year. In the past foreigners don't need a certificate of living for selling a car. But now it's new again. (Amaising Thailand). - Stingray

-You know that's one of the things I love about living here. You go out to do a simple thing, something you think you understand how to do and (FLIP) go the rules and reality! LOL. Hey at least if you can laugh, it breaks up any monotony. Cheers to ya.

Lithobid.

In fact it should be free from the Immigration Office, but in Tourist areas they tend to charge, it was 200 Baht in Pattaya yet Free in Chiang Khan, Loei province.

The CMai immigration used to do the residency paper for free, then it was maybe 200 baht, now maybe they do not do it. Maybe some Ministry thinks we have no business owning or selling vehicles. Which is why I gave up and let everything be registered in my partner's name. Maybe I have no business trying to own anything in my own name in Thailand. Isn't that part of the national anthem?

Buying or selling a vehicle needs proof of residency of immigration.

It's not the buying or selling per se, it's getting the vehicle registered!

It used to be that you only needed that paper to register a vehicle, but now the new owner also needs that residency paper from the seller just to get the vehicle transferred into his name.

A work permit is NOT needed, however the work permit is accepted as proof of residence since it holds both your home address and your work address. So work permit holders can skip the trip to immigration.

just sold my car had to get letter of residency from immigration in bangkok ....but they told me to go to embassy so i did and it costs 470 baht for stat dec.if you are in pattaya they still do the letter at immigration for baht 200 did one there too just in case.this news is only 3 days old.

just sold my car had to get letter of residency from immigration in bangkok ....but they told me to go to embassy so i did and it costs 470 baht for stat dec.if you are in pattaya they still do the letter at immigration for baht 200 did one there too just in case.this news is only 3 days old.

Here's a link to the residence certificate form to fill in:

http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/dform/res_cert.php