New To Thailand..

lbd2005

Hey everyone,

Basically I am going Thailand in just over two weeks time (Koh Samui). I just wanted some tips from people there how to act when I am out there. I have read things such as "You point your foot at someone in Thailand and they could take that disrespectfully" are such things true? what other disrespectful thing to look out for?? or signs of respect for that matter?? I am an ignorant Brit, that wants to go there to experience paradise. I really am not looking to offend anyone out there unintentionally.

Cheers people!

Edited by lbd2005

Hey everyone,

Basically I am going Thailand in just over two weeks time (Koh Samui). I just wanted some tips from people there how to act when I am out there. I have read things such as "You point your foot at someone in Thailand and they could take that disrespectfully" are such things true? what other disrespectful thing to look out for?? or signs of respect for that matter?? I am an ignorant Brit, that wants to go there to experience paradise. I really am not looking to offend anyone out there unintentionally.

Cheers people!

Buy yourself a good book about Thailand!

'Lonely Planet' for instance, but there are many more.

Koh Samui is a beautiful place but it rather depends what you're looking for during your stay. Beaches, bars and fun? Plenty around in Samui.

Have fun

You have the right attitude at least. Alot of travellers just assume other cultures should adapt to them, not the other way around.

Thais are pretty tolerant, so as long as you are polite and even tempered (probably the most important), you will get along ok. Good nature, and polite demeanor will get you a long way.

A Few Things To Keep In Mind:

Always have clean socks/feet. It's unusual to wear shoes inside in Thailand.

Don't point your feet at anything.

Don't touch anyone's head, or reach over it.

Beckon with your hand pointing downwards, not up. (Anywhere in Asia)

Dress appropriately when out in public, especially to a govt office or a temple.

NEVER get visibly angry, or shout.

Remember that Thais still smile when angry.

Bargining is like a sport, not a war. Start at 1/2 price and work from there.

Accept the fact that:

-People assume you are loaded, and always want to buy what they are selling.

-You are a curiosity to many, especially children, and will get pointed at.

-You will get charged more for goods than Thais.

-Taxi/Tuk-Tuk drivers assume forgieners never want to walk anywhere.

Learn a bit of the language, the most important will be about greetings, ordering food, and buying goods.

Read through this forum, filter out the cynicism and the ignorance, and like the previous post said, get a good book. Lonely Planet is good, but never take it or any other guide as the gospel.... they tend to be over-cautious.

Then just enjoy your time here.... good luck!

cv

Buy and read "Culture Shock - Thailand" from any good bookstore. :D

Read "Private Dancer" online or download it.

Keep an eye on your mobile and wallet at all times :o

Go to "The Secret Garden" on Sunday arvos, you will enjoy it, from about 2PM. :D

DO NOT RIDE OR RENT A MOTORCYCLE ON SAMUI.

Samui has the highest death toll and injuries in the Kingdom..... loose sand on all sealed roads!

Give us a report here on your first impressions...... :D

Enjoy Samui!

Edited by udon

Don't wai anyone.

You may do it inapropriatelly or when not needed.

Just nod back.

Lonely Planet may be good for backpackers hunting for bargains but for others may be (and often is) plain wrong.

Just look how much importance is given to head touching or pointing by feet thing: when the ###### in the West would you do that anyway?

On many ocassions I have seen young couples where the girl ruffled boy's hair or touched his head or even pushed when making her point. Nobody got angry or killed.

I would suggest that you spend a day or two digging through this board, much more useful info than in any particular tourist guide.

Don't hire or ride motorbikes on Koh Samui. Driving is so wild, especially at night when alcohol comes into the play. There are large signs "Remember to drive left side of the road". That should be translated to Thai too.

If you are not at Chaweng or Lamai, you may need some transportation to get where the fun is. Songtaews (open tail pickup trucks converted into a "troop carrier" and with a roof) are frequent but may overcharge late at night.

Small Suzuki Vitara 4WDs are 800B per day to rent. Just watch not to run over a motorbiker.

Since November 2002, there is a large shopping complex Tesco-Lotus near Chaweng with everything you would expect to find in such a place, foreign press, Macdonalds....

Don't wai anyone.

Just nod back.

It's never a bad thing to learn about when and how to wai. Some of these things are part of the fun of discovering a new country.

Lonely Planet may be good for backpackers hunting for bargains but for others may be (and often is) plain wrong.
ditto for many postings here
Just look how much importance is given to head touching or pointing by feet thing: when the ###### in the West would you do that anyway?

People put their feet up in the west all the time.

On many ocassions I have seen young couples where the girl ruffled boy's hair or touched his head or even pushed when making her point. Nobody got angry or killed.

What's appropriate for a girl to do with her boyfriend, and whats appropriate for you to do with a stranger are two different things. Play it safe until you find the happy medium between polite and relaxed. But like I said earlier, Thais are pretty tolerant. You'll find in resort areas and big cities that much more is tolerated, as well as among younger people. Err on the side of caution in the countryside, and with older people everywhere.

God knows most westerners (myself among them) could learn a few things about good manners.

cv

Don't wai anyone.

Just nod back.

It's never a bad thing to learn about when and how to wai. Some of these things are part of the fun of discovering a new country.

People put their feet up in the west all the time.

What's appropriate for a girl to do with her boyfriend, and whats appropriate for you to do with a stranger are two different things. Play it safe until you find the happy medium between polite and relaxed. But like I said earlier, Thais are pretty tolerant. You'll find in resort areas and big cities that much more is tolerated, as well as among younger people. Err on the side of caution in the countryside, and with older people everywhere.

God knows most westerners (myself among them) could learn a few things about good manners.

cv

Push stranger's head in the West and see what happens.

Don't know why any special notion for it is needed for Thailand.

Putting feet atop a desk is not considered good manner in the West.

And who will teach a first time tourist how and when to wai?

Someone might but until that happens, simply don't wai.

Alternativelly, follow Lonely Planet (that advises to wai back) and wai children and food stall staff and hawkers along the KS Road.

And who will teach a first time tourist how and when to wai?

Someone might but until that happens, simply don't wai.

Alternativelly, follow Lonely Planet (that advises to wai back) and wai children and food stall staff and hawkers along the KS Road.

I'd suggest more of the LP approach to wais... Don't worry if you wai the 'wrong' person. Nobody except some farangs will think any worse of you- I think you'll find that any Thai will appreciate your attempt to show respect to their culture.

Just feel respect for others, and let that guide your words and actions. Hard to go wrong that way! :o

Read "Culture Shock-Thailand" as udon says. Stay clean. Don't wear alot of colonge. Don't put your feet up on an empty chair. Not all people like being surprised with having their picture snapped. It's polite to ask strangers first if you want them as part of your photograph.

A smile in Thailand can signal: thank you, sorry, yes, no and even "settle down" :o

Thais won't expect you to know all their customs so don't beome preoccupied with it. Thais want you to enjoy your stay so...enjoy your vacation.

-a

How can you not point your feet at anything?? surely your bound to be pointing your feet at someone or something?? this confuses me.

I remember when I came to Thailand hearing about the foot pointing thing. I thought it was a really big deal, but it ain't that bad. How often do you point your feet at something?

I have only ever seen one guy get into real trouble - he was on the stage at a go-go bar and when the bouncers tried to get him off he touched his head with his foot! He was very nearly killed. I once saw two backpackers with their feet up on the back of a tuk-tuk, the driver put up with this as he no doubt was getting a ridiculous fee. It is however very rude to point your feet at someone but they would realize it is through ignorance in most cases.

Never point your feet towards a Buddha statue in a temple.

Thais give the V sign to me a lot, I don't mind as I know they don't know it is rude.

I often amuse visiting friends by shoving two fingers at a Thai when ordering :o

How can you not point your feet at anything?? surely your bound to be pointing your feet at someone or something?? this confuses me.

I remember when I came to Thailand hearing about the foot pointing thing. I thought it was a really big deal, but it ain't that bad. How often do you point your feet at something?

I have only ever seen one guy get into real trouble - he was on the stage at a go-go bar and when the bouncers tried to get him off he touched his head with his foot! He was very nearly killed. I once saw two backpackers with their feet up on the back of a tuk-tuk, the driver put up with this as he no doubt was getting a ridiculous fee. It is however very rude to point your feet at someone but they would realize it is through ignorance in most cases.

Never point your feet towards a Buddha statue in a temple.

Thais give the V sign to me a lot, I don't mind as I know they don't know it is rude.

I often amuse visiting friends by shoving two fingers at a Thai when ordering :o

So you need to face your feet in when your sitting down? this is what im getting at. When your feet on the floor they are always pointing at something. How do you go into these temples? your feet are obviously pointing to them as you walk in? does anyone see my point?

Also what does the V sign mean in Thailand?

On a serious note:

Never or try not to:

- point with a finger (use your whole hand instead)

- ridicule Thai royalty, the King or any royal family member or institution (same for Buddhist shrines, temples, monks, etc)

- show anger (said before, but very important)

- use illegal substances (unless you have loads of cash or enjoy suffering in a diseased invested Thai prison)

Feel free to:

-pick your nose (or your spouse's) openly in public

-pick your teeth at the dinner table (though, cover this process with your free hand)

- have a great time visiting this exotic kingdom

Edited by igotworms

How can you not point your feet at anything?? surely your bound to be pointing your feet at someone or-

your feet are obviously pointing to them as you walk in? does anyone see my point?

Read this one as the "Soles" of your plates not them for their own sake.

Also as previously said dont touch the top of a Thais head (sacred) and whatever else you get up to dont suggest that he /she/ they are related in any way to a "kwai" :D

Its funny how when "Carrabou"is dancing about he always ends up giving the sign of a moo moos head ( ka-la-bow-kaa- la- bow-made in...) which in some cultures looks very similar to the Dev-ils silloette :D:D but then TIT and we are all different :D .....ca-la bow-car-la-bow-wow

V sign is the same the world over :o

Ibd2005, If you aren't buying books. Google "Thai customs" or "Thai manners". Use the quotation marks you'll get a more specific search. Here is the thing about the head and feet. Thai people consider the foot to be the dirtiest and lowest part of the body, and the head the most respected and highest part of the body. So you never want to touch someone with your foot or make a gesture of kicking their ass. Never use your foot to slide an object towards someone. And if you have a foot fetish don't go public with it. :o I have noticed thai men sitting in chairs place their feet at 2 and 10.

Respect other people's physical space. It is like their personal privacy zone. In the west we will touch a person to get their attention. I don't do it in Thailand. I wouldn't make hand gestures near someone's upper body either.

Here's a faux pas for everyone to get a chuckle about. I was visiting friends. There was no furniture in the house. So after taking off my shoes I sat my ignorant ass down on the doorsill. (my first trip to thailand)

Don't get to preoccupied with your feet pointing dilemma. You will miss the sunsets and the elephants walking the streets of Bkk if you are busy looking down at your feet. :D

There is a saying in Thailand. You think too much. Be sure to enjoy your vacation. Oh, keep the questions coming only don't worry about the feet too much.

-a

Just feel respect for others, and let that guide your words and actions. Hard to go wrong that way!

Agreed.

Cover your mouth while cleaning your teeth after a meal. And if it is a fast food restaurant and it's crowded and busy and people are waiting to sit down and eat, have the the good manners to get about the rest of your business. :o

-a

So you need to face your feet in when your sitting down? this is what im getting at. When your feet on the floor they are always pointing at something. How do you go into these temples? your feet are obviously pointing to them as you walk in? does anyone see my point?

When you go to a temple walk in backwards if you are worried about this. :o

V sign means "up yours" or something like that. Comes from days gone by of archers who showed that they still had their fingers. The enemy used to chop off the first two fingers of their right (or left) hand. Not sure the full story, would have been better to chop off their heads!

When I returned to my home country recently, I felt very uncomfortable when my mate sat next to me with his feet pointing straight at me - some things must spread osmotically here in Thailand.

I will be honest, I am not going to buy a book in that time. So I was trying to muster as much knowledge from all of you as possible.

Speaking of which.... will you be paying us by credit card or do we just invoice you? :D

I stole this from the Canadian embassy's website. I paid my taxes last year so I'm sure they won't mind. It more or less sums up what most people have been saying:

There are a number of cultural issues to keep in mind when meeting Thai business people, Government officials, and the public at large:

Thai people display an extremely high degree of respect for the monarchy. Respect for the monarchy is displayed both through reverence to earlier kings and to the persons of the present Royal Family. National symbols, which are also royal symbols, such as the anthem and flag, are always accorded full respect. Foreigners should never make negative comments against Thailand's Royal family or its symbols.

Respect for Buddha's teachings requires respect for all the visible manifestations of the religion, but particularly for monks, Buddha images, and temples. The acceptance of alms by monks from the people is not viewed as begging, but as one means for people to 'make merit' in their religious and moral improvement. Females must avoid physical contact with monks.

It is vitally important in Thai society to avoid any situation involving conflict. Avoid criticism, anger, or bluntness and stay calm in the face of frustration or adversity. Good Thai manners require one to speak softly, smile easily, always act politely, and to display full consideration for the comfort and dignity of others.

Thais are formal and impressions are important. For example, it is better to overdress than underdress for a meeting. If you expect to be late for an appointment, phone ahead to advise.

Thai names comprise a first and last name but they are called by their first name even on the first meeting and in formal situations. The word Khun (equivalent to Mr. or Ms.) is used in front of the first name.

Business cards are commonly used and exchanged at a first meeting. Business is generally conducted face-to-face, not over the telephone.

Handshakes are the usual greeting for westerners. The traditional Thai greeting is the Wai. It resembles the Western prayer position of the hands. The lower you bow your head towards your joined hands, the greater the sign of respect.

For the Thai, the head is viewed as the seat of the soul, and according to tradition, it is inappropriate to touch the heads of others.

The feet are viewed as base objects. It is proper to make one's feet as inconspicuous as possible. In sitting, men should try to avoid the cross-legged position with the ankle resting on the knee, especially with the soles of one's feet pointing towards anyone, or towards an image of Buddha. Shoes are removed upon entering most homes and all temples.

Dividing a restaurant or other bill is considered unsophisticated. Some Thais call this behaviour "American share" and seldom practise it. (I've NEVER heard this expression.)

When receiving a gift, do not open it immediately, unless asked to do so.

Enjoy your holiday :o

cv

If you're pissed-off for whatever reason, try not to walk around with a constant frown on your face. Keep your voice down. The finger pointing isn't so much of an issue...Thais do it all the time. Don't fart (noisily) whilst in the presence of a Thai.

If you're pissed-off for whatever reason, try not to walk around with a constant frown on your face. Keep your voice down. The finger pointing isn't so much of an issue...Thais do it all the time. Don't fart (noisily) whilst in the presence of a Thai.

I was pissed off with that stupid m/c rider, pointed at him and shouted at him with those Thais looking down on me with that bloody smile after he overbalanced at zero mph....... I forgot to fart in their presence :o

Places like Samui and the other touristy places, you do not have to be to careful about upsetting the Thais with your lack of Thai customs.

I think we all came here not knowing much and we are still alive.

Wai or dont, up to you, no harm done either wai :o