Sick Relatives In Thailand?

tutsiwarrior

most people on this forum know me to be a no BS person. Turns out that my wife's adopted daughter developed appendicitis... her biological mother would not help and I like her between looking at her equipment (that I would like to have positioned naked above my face) and her terrible varicose veins from years of working on her feet in BKK sweatshops for 150 baht per day.

At work here my wife who is the responsible person called me to say in semi-hysterical fashion that our 11 year old charge was in hospital with appendicitis...she had the surgery that night...no chance for us to do nothing. We were in tears as we were powerless to do anything, even offering comfort or assistance. The grandmother was in charge and did a good job of hanging around to grieve if there was a problem. The surgery was routine and successful but there is always a margin for drastic error.

If you have people in Thailand and you are abroad what do you do if there is a serious problem?

Must be a big problem for those that have family commitments in Thailand and work abroad...

I think adequate insurance is the best way to go, and I have been putting off getting some for my family.

Even with a large amount like 18,000 a month, it would not be enough for something serious, God forbid!

I would also consider if the person would be happier in somewher like Bamrungrad or a normal Thai hospital. I know a couple of humble Thais who hated Bamrungrad.

If your family member paid 7k for an operation and she is Thai, why?

Is she not covered by the 30baht scheme? Maybe this is not for urgent operations.

The surgery was routine and successful but there is always a margin for drastic error.

If you have people in Thailand and you are abroad what do you do if there is a serious problem?

Must be a big problem for those that have family commitments in Thailand and work abroad...

Wife and the baby are insured by a top US insurer, same expat insurance as mine, with direct billing and no participation with Bumrungrad and Samitivej (preferred but any hospital in the world accepted) and open access and full coverage for everything and anything. US doctors monitor and advise (guide if you wish) the locals all the time.

A nurse can be assigned or even stay full time at home if needed.

What a terrible feeling it was when she got rushed to the labour with me not being able to be there on such a short notice. The cesarean section was performed with me sitting on needles over here. Her sister had a bed in the room and it went ok.

Her family upcountry is insured with some farmers insurance organization . Don't know what it is and how it works. Members are accepted only once a year, it's 3500B to get in and then 1500B per year. Not my idea, that's what they wanted

However, it all started from my fear of her using and being involved in a motobai accident. The place we picked to live is a short walk to the Skytrain and all schools and the Uni are walking distance so no motobai taxi has ever been needed.

there is a limit to what the 30 baht arrangement can cover...mainly out patient services and not major surgery for an appendectomy. If one has a normal child delivery then OK but if there are complications it is whatever the doctor indicates.

where we are located we have a fully equipped hospital although the lab facilities are not tip top. Going down to Bangkok was not an option as it would have scared the sh1t out of an already traumatised little girl. If it was a life saving option then OK...

This is one of the reasons why I keep stressing to my fiancee' the sooner we are married, the sooner I can get her, her daughter and khun mae on to my insurance.

She knows what insurance is, but I don't think she has grasped how comprehensive a good western insurance program can be. My company insurance is not the best I've had compared to other jobs, but it is still very good.

As of right now, I send money to help take care of khun mae's medicine for her bad ticker. If there were to be some sort of major medical care required, then I would certainly try to help as much as possible.

When her daughter fell and broker her forearm at school during the summer, the school picked up the tab.

Good luck Tutsi .... and good topic!

What a terrible feeling it was when she got rushed to the labour with me not being able to be there on such a short notice. The cesarean section was performed with me sitting on needles over here. Her sister had a bed in the room and it went ok.

Not to change the subject, but are c-sections common with Thai women? My fiancee's daughter was born by c-section.

My fiancee' is hesitant to have another child because she is worried about having to do another c-section, even though multiple c-sections are no longer a big deal from a medical perspective.

Not to change the subject, but are c-sections common with Thai women? My fiancee's daughter was born by c-section.

My fiancee' is hesitant to have another child because she is worried about having to do another c-section, even though multiple c-sections are no longer a big deal from a medical perspective.

They sure are common. The doctors rather have this than a natural birth. In fact, the doctor at Bamrungrad refused to do a natural birth with my wife's second.

It helps them organise their "tee times" when all deliveries are scheduled. They usually come up with some excuse to why they think it is best. Safer for the doctors.

There is a very high danger if the first section was vertical. This is done in certain emergengy cases. I am no doctor though. Just because the scar on the outer is horizontal doesn't mean the main one underneath on the second layer is.

Threw on another 30,000 baht for no reason too.

Next one I will be going to a govt. hospital.

Edited by Neeranam

My wife had our son c-section, 16 months ago, and was on the 30 baht healthcare scheme, but we had to pay extra for the surgery. Just come out of hospital today after having a fallopian tube removed (salpingectomy) due to an ectopic pregnancy and thankfully they let us off with the 30 baht, even though she's registered with a hospital in Songkhla and we are in Chiang Mai, because it was an emergency. The bill was 18,000

Edited by jackr

My wife is almost certain the cross section was not necessary.

It's horizontal, far dowm, not visible at all but still.

The bill was supposed to be less than 60K but ended up at 120K.

She said the doctors wanted to peel the farang off.

14 hours after it she was up and slowly walking, 3 days and she was out.

Wife of friend of mine had all her 3 children by c-section (not in Thailand).

120k for a c (cesarean) section? Wow! I only paid an extra 2,000 in a good quality hospital, although a government one, to our doctor and thought that maybe he'd overcharged somewhat...10 minute job.

Edited by jackr

120k for a c (cesarean) section? Wow! I only paid an extra 2,000 in a good quality hospital, although a government one, to our doctor and thought that maybe he'd overcharged somewhat...10 minute job.

The room only was 8K a day.

When they show you the prices, a regular delivery is about 37K.

Then every sight of a doctor, every single piece of cotton, very needle, donut with meal...go into the bill.

I know of another guy who had those 37K balooning to 80K bill for regular delivery.

There is another scam (not sure if that company is a sponsor here, won't name it): to have delivery covered, partners must be married and both be members of the fund for at least 9 months. In our case, the fee would have been about 65K per year for both.

So, for 65K and the bill of say 80K (had it been a regular delivery), we would have gotten back maybe 25K. Nearly the same as if we had walked in from the street with cash.

Maybe my numbers are a bith rough but you get the picture.

Good subject this.

I had a nightmare of a situation in Korat with the birth of our daughter,I was away (working...as you do) and met the missus on return,,,,as if the kid had forseen my arrival,,,the missus went into labour in the early hours .

To cut a long and story short.I was totally unprepared for the whole nightmare.

I can suggest this for anyone that could find themselves in the same postion.

1.If you are not there,,she must have some a good medical insurance or a good wedge of dosh ,prefrefably knowing where she needs to be at the right time.

2.Make sure that the place that she will actually go to is OK.If you can check it out before hand.(Difficult to do if you are not staying there,,but worth the effort....I was on deaths door more that her.)

3.Near her family....if possble.

I paid 20 thou in a place outside Korat and the Wife bears a scar that would look at home in a slaughtehouse.

DONT TAKE THE CHANCE...YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Chris

120K seems rather over the top for a Caesarean in Thailand. - my wife had our third in a private hospital in Bangkok (outskirts, not central), and it was only 30,000 all-in, including the room at the hospital, etc. - and that was her 3rd Caesarean, so they did have to be careful about scar tissue etc. from the earlier ones...

120K seems rather over the top for a Caesarean in Thailand. - my wife had our third in a private hospital in Bangkok (outskirts, not central), and it was only 30,000 all-in, including the room at the hospital, etc. - and that was her 3rd Caesarean, so they did have to be careful about scar tissue etc. from the earlier ones...

Seemed to me too.

We were not paying, maybe they smelled blood.

To name them: the Samitivej hospital.

most people on this forum know me to be a no BS person. Turns out that my wife's adopted daughter developed appendicitis... her biological mother would not help and I like her between looking at her equipment (that I would like to have positioned naked above my face) and her terrible varicose veins from years of working on her feet in BKK sweatshops for 150 baht per day.

At work here my wife who is the responsible person called me to say in semi-hysterical fashion that our 11 year old charge was in hospital with appendicitis...she had the surgery that night...no chance for us to do nothing. We were in tears as we were powerless to do anything, even offering comfort or assistance. The grandmother was in charge and did a good job of hanging around to grieve if there was a problem. The surgery was routine and successful but there is always a margin for drastic error.

Probably better off just letting them die, it's the least expensive option.

Alai wah? You sure know how to make friends around here. :o

What a man you are. Where did you suck that wisdom from?

What a man you are. Where did you suck that wisdom from?

Are you trying to argue that it's NOT the least expensive option? If the extended Thai family will not assist their kinsmen then why should the closest gullible farang feel obliged? They got on for many centuries without our help, why change things now?

Just talked to my wife about the 30Bt program.

She was an ICU nurse in the CVT ward at CM University Hospital for years and most of their patients were on the 30 BT program. Major surgery is covered but some things are not or are covered only a portion. These include special meals requested by the patient or the family, special rooms, some specialty drugs or one time use specialty equipment.

She also said that you had to go to the government Hospital closest to your home and was not sure what the result would be if you were admitted to another one without a referral in an emergency. Some private hospitals do not accept 30Bt and some accept it only as part payment.

She said that few of the private hospitals (in Chiang Mai) actually had surgical staff and that often the heart surgery staff ( Doctors, surgical nurses, anesthetists and ICU nurses) performed the surgeries and looked after the aftercare at private hospitals like Ram.

Are you trying to argue that it's NOT the least expensive option? If the extended Thai family will not assist their kinsmen then why should the closest gullible farang feel obliged? They got on for many centuries without our help, why change things now?

Is that what you'd do in Boston?....... K. Strummer.

To name them: the Samitivej hospital.

The 2 worst hospitals in the country for ripping you off - Bamrungrad and the above mentioned. They say they run like businesses - too right, bloody dishonest ones. They do have some of the best doctors, but their unethical actions will keep me away in future. :o

The room only was 8K a day.

When they show you the prices, a regular delivery is about 37K.

Then every sight of a doctor, every single piece of cotton, very needle, donut with meal...go into the bill.

I know of another guy who had those 37K balooning to 80K bill for regular delivery.

There is another scam (not sure if that company is a sponsor here, won't name it): to have delivery covered, partners must be married and both be members of the fund for at least 9 months. In our case, the fee would have been about 65K per year for both.

So, for 65K and the bill of say 80K (had it been a regular delivery), we would have gotten back maybe 25K. Nearly the same as if we had walked in from the street with cash.

Maybe my numbers are a bith rough but you get the picture.

Got my wife into a room at the gov hospital...800 baht per night. Air-con, satellite, en-suite, balcony, lovely views over the garden and this extra, together with the unexpected c-section of 2,000 baht, put the whole birth charge at just under 4,000.

Nurses were great; in and out of the room every 10 minutes...good meals etc. Doctor made a tidy job of the cut as well.