Farangs In Red And Yellow Shirts

Jingthing

I tend to wear the color of shirt appropriate for the day of the week if I have one clean .... certainly has nothing to do with politics

Could you please list what colour for what day , and what each colour is supposed to express and why and where this idea originated .

Please do not forget THE SCOURSE !!!!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes , sorry , i had not gotten that far before i posted , however , are you suggesting all foreigners in Thailand should follow the Buddhism guidelines when even the devout(?) Thais do not ? Would you like to turn every one into 'Sheeple' ? Pretty darn inane and boring to my mind .

I occasionally wear a yellow shirt and stage a mock fight with a red-shirted mate of mine. It usually draws a huge crowd, and we can normally escape after a huge melee ensues. :P Try this at home.

:o:D:D:D:D:(:D:P:burp: well it made me laugh this morning at 6.35 am........................................ thanks!! Of course it doesnt quite have the same "hardman" appeal if done in the "new pink" w e keep seeing does it?

I was advised not to wear yellow or red cloths by a foreign journalist (last month).

Today i got the same advice from a lower class Thai.

(I am Caucasian)

And you listened to them?

I would be careful then of wearing red or yellow underpants too....... you never know....

It's 6:30 am, and I'm sat here reading this wearing a red AND yellow football shirt - I guess in the UK that would make me a Liberal - what does that make me here?

Keep it polite chaps :o .

Probably the safest farang in Thailand. You can explain it either way. :D

It's 6:30 am, and I'm sat here reading this wearing a red AND yellow football shirt - I guess in the UK that would make me a Liberal - what does that make me here?

Keep it polite chaps :D .

Probably the safest farang in Thailand. You can explain it either way. :D

Noooooo it means if either side spot you they'll only "half" kill you, just try and not meet them both on the same day :o

Jing....

Yellow?

After this airport fiasco?

This will have the same economic impact as a significant act of terrorism......

Just wait for estimate of how much money has been lost...

Tourists effectively held hostage. Airline schedules disrupted on a world-wide basis. Thai tourism image shattered.

40% of Thai population effectively disenfranchised if yellow prevails against elected government.

I'm disappointed if that is what you support, Jing. :o

It depends. If it is equally striped everywhere, it should be o.k. If the whole front is yellow and the whole back is red, and you are exactly in the middle between the red and yellow shirts, always show them their colour. You will be their hero. But you have to leave the scene sidewards.

:o

Where I come from, wearing certain colors identifies yourself with a certain gang. Just avoid the colors to be safe. Don't be selfish if it can cost you your life.

or

I wear red and yellow because I am a Hulakamaniac! If you hurt my friends, you hurt my pride. Whatcha gonna do!!!

I have never worn a yellow shirt here, and would never. I think that the Thai king is a very nice and good man, but I don't love him, and as that is what the shirt symbolizes it'd be a lie, which I don't wish to do. Respect; yes, love; no.

I agree that HM King is a fine Buddhist man in many ways. But the culture of wearing colours for specific days has its origins long before showing respect/love for him, and certainly before the semi-terroristic mob hijacked it for their political ends. I was also born on a Monday so I look forward to the day when the colour yellow can again symbolise something more traditional and essentially benign.

I'm fully aware of the history, thank you, however, in this thread, we are considering the real meaning of these shirts today, especially considering the PAD use of yellow shirts (and the anti-PAD's use of red).

The reality today is, whilst the yellow may suggest something 'more traditional and essentially benign' to you, that wearing a yellow shirt is very political in today's (recent years in fact) Thailand.

Political mobs, often violent, are defined by their shirt colour, that's the way it is today. If, on a Monday you wear your yellow shirt walking through a pro government, red shirt wearing, mob you could be in mortal danger - it won't feel so 'essentially benign'.

If you are Thai then you may feel comfortable within yourself and your fuller understanding of these colours (which still have a very elitest history and are worn by rich class conscious Bangkokians almost solely), which is fair enough - good luck to you.

A foreigner wearing the 'correct colours' everyday is dillusional and sad, in my opinion, as well as more than a little insecure in their identity. We have a prime example on this thread.

If you are male and over 10 years old why would you consider wearing those colours anyway??

???

Glad to be gay and colorblind, I reckon.

I usually wear any color I please.

What colors do mature adult men like you wear? How very dreary.

this reminds of my younger days in Los Angeles, during those times, one could be killed if one wore a blue or red shirt in the wrong neighborhood wink.gif

Crips vs. Bloods!!!

Jing....

Yellow?

After this airport fiasco?

Read the context. It was a joke. I am neutral but if it was a choice between the lesser of two evils, I do feel Thaksin's level of evil is world class. That doesn't exactly make me a Yellow Man though.

Edited by Jingthing

It depends. If it is equally striped everywhere, it should be o.k. If the whole front is yellow and the whole back is red, and you are exactly in the middle between the red and yellow shirts, always show them their colour. You will be their hero. But you have to leave the scene sidewards.

:o

Are you suggesting I get myself a dose of crabs? :D:D

I've always found the wearing of the yellow T-shirts by none Thais a bit cheesy to be honest. I see it as trying a little too hard to be Thai. I know it is an issue of respect and everything but thats just how I feel. Plenty of ferang wear them though so thats got to say something.

Agreed , dead cheesy, a bit like trying to wai everyone you meet. Fortunately I don't have any red or yellow shirts so my wardrobe hasn't shrunk recently.