Thailand On World Travel Warning List

george

Major international congresses and conventions are planned 2-3 years ahead of time for precisely this sort of reason. Can anyone cite one major international convention or event that has booked into Thailand for a show in the next two years, following the last airport seizures?

We don't know about these convention events because they haven't been announced. However, once a decision is made that can have an impact for several years, and sadly Thailand doesn't have the years to wait for such business.

Its really hurts me bcoz I consider Thailand my second home. Infact situation is little disturbed here in Thailand but it is not fair that it is marked as RED ZONE. I suggest all visitors to Thailand to delay their visit till airports are fully operational again but not cancel their tour because I'm living in Thailand and don't see such law and order situation which makes me scared.

Wow! Thanks for the great advice. I'll let people know because otherwise they might still try to come thought the closed airport.

Just pray to Allah (God) for peace here in Thailand and around the world.

He hasn't exactley got a good track record when it involves death, carnage and acts of terrorism. It might be best if we leave him out of it. :o

I think Thailand will bounce back quite quickly once the airports are clear and one party or the other are in power. Thailand has a vivid place in people's imagination when it comes to beach, trecking and *other* pleasures.

I visited Thailand regularly from 1993 until a couple of years ago when I switched to other destinations. Last Christmas I passed through BKK and was very impressed by the improvement in facilities, bars, restaurants, etc. in BKK. There seemed to be far more tourists and far more of those were "well heeled." than I'd seen on previous trips. I also noticed that girls were lining Sumomvit waiting for "guests." I'd never seen them in such numbers before.

In the long run this might actually benefit the country if it causes the authorities to reconsider some of their policies. People have been annoyed at visa hassles for long term stay, laws that try to keep ensure Thai majority shares in businesses etc.

I'm just reading this forum now because I hope to transit in BKK on 7th December. No Pearl harbour please!

This was always likely to happen, and what an absolute tragedy for the Tourism industry.

The governments can't be blamed for giving these warnings, as to be honest the place is descending into chaos, although at least previously all the nonsense was pretty much kept to localised areas that did not affect the vast majority of the population, or tourists.

How many years will this place take to recover from this?

Recover will be quick if all problems are fully fixed.

My mother told me in Austria it was not at all in the main TV news yesterday evening, she checked flights for the next few days. All flights not canceled are reporting as full booked not a single seat free. :o:D

Spoke with some of my frequent customer and 1/2 didn't heard of problems :D:D

Do I overvalue to seizure of the two biggest airports?

Is Thailand as important as Tahiti in the eyes of Europeans (Thailand, Taiwan, Tahiti same same?)?

Their are footages in every news program on all networks in Flanders, also with telephone interviews from Fleming who are blocked in BKK and Chiang Mai, and with background information about who is who on the political scene.

BTW I get many mails from friends asking about the present situation, also asking if my Thai family is save.

Now full in every news! The Indian effect turned negative. First Thailand was not in the news, now for the not interested (if it would be central Africa I would thing the same) it turns into first India now Thailand, all that south east asia is very dangerous.

The shipping issue is better again, as they use other airports but the damage on the tourist industry is getting worse every day.

h90,

the reason that all the planes are fully booked is that people have been *rebooked* from the cancelled flights. There is probably a backlog of about 50,000 people trying to get into BKK. Now, some of those will cancel, but many will have been rebooked onto later flights - which already had people booked and this is the high season. When the airport re-opens nealry all the planes coming in for a week or so will be full.

But, the seat situation can change from day to day as people cancel.

I know. I am one of the them waiting in Frankfurt for my return trip. Qatar airways have me rebooked for a week later. Earlier flights sometimes have seats, sometimes dont, as passengers are cancelling and people are being rebooked.

The Australian Government has just upgraded its advice for Bangkok, they are advising you reconsider your need to travel. They have been emailing out near daily updates for the last week and this is the first time they have upgraded the situation. Not good.

Edited by rick75

So far in Canada, not a big story overall. Doubtful anyone is going to cancel plans to fly to Thailand and most

are just waiting for the airports to open again. This would all change if there is massive bloodshed, but my wife (Thai) says she has seen this so many times and it will calm down as always. She thought blocking the airport was a dumb move though.

The Australian Government has just upgraded its advice for Bangkok, they are advising you reconsider your need to travel. They have been emailing out near daily updates for the last week and this is the first time they have upgraded the situation. Not good.

ITS A PLOY by the Australian Government and the KEVIN 07 team to keep you there and make you pay more TAXES....the Australian Govt wouldnt know if their own backside was on fire at the moment......'in ova ur head' as they say "BUGGER"

Major international congresses and conventions are planned 2-3 years ahead of time for precisely this sort of reason. Can anyone cite one major international convention or event that has booked into Thailand for a show in the next two years, following the last airport seizures?

We don't know about these convention events because they haven't been announced. However, once a decision is made that can have an impact for several years, and sadly Thailand doesn't have the years to wait for such business.

We were all set to wine and dine the president of a major organisation this December. He was coming to the region to suss out the possibilities of Thailand as a future conference venue. You guessed it. He couldn't get in due to the airports being closed.