Some Of The People Need A Lesson On Life

bravingbangkok

Hey Brave, you talk about Democracy and isn't this what it is all about.

Last time I checked, we had a Democratically Elected Government (like them or not) that the PAD are trying to overthrow.

Hmmm, try that in the UK or USA, taking over Heathrow or JFK, the Parliment or White House. Their action borders on another word and it is not democracy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cannot understand why foreigners who live here are getting so angered with the PAD and the situation they have made, if you do not like it then bugger off to the power to the gov and no one else west !

This is their country and they have a right to do what they deem necassary. This is Thailands form of democracy and it will never change because this is how the cycle works and has thus far resolved all political situations with the minimal of civilian casualties. Can you imagine what the scene would be like if this happened in a south amercian country ? I do not want to !

I feel sorry for the tourists who were simply on holiday here and especially if they have kids, are old or disabled in anyway. I have no time for expats who live here making accusations against the PAD for what they are doing. As I have said before it quite simply is none of our business and if you do not like it then do not live here.

Their are many qualities in living in Thailand but just as in life there have to be negatives to balance it out. If you do not understand the fact that this type of situation is going to present itself all to often in this country then I would back ya bags now and head home.....well not by plane hahah

Why are you surprised that expats have an opinion? We pretty much have an opinion on everything from the best Mexican food in BKK to censoring movies to whether a farang and a Thai can have a meaningful relationship. And now there is a situation which is having a direct impact on many expats, and you think they should ignore it?

Granted, I do believe there is a line after which, if a person thinks things are too bad here, that person should just leave. But simply discussing things here is a far cry from taking action.

You say this is democracy in action. Others say it is thuggery. Different opinions for different people. But a civil discussion here is hardly out of line.

I do not advocate expats picking a shirt color and heading off to the protests. This is a Thai matter. But I do think that discussing this and pointing out the fallacies (from any side) is certainly normal and acceptable.

Agree with everything stated above, however I am not telling people they cannot discuss their own opinions and views and am simply adding my view :o

If you read back I never said I was against discussion itself but merely some opinions being expressed in those discussions.

Is this what is going on here?

ter⋅ror⋅ist   /ˈtɛrərɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ter-er-ist] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.

2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

3. (formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.

4. an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.

–adjective 5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of terrorism or terrorists: terrorist tactics.

Source Dictionary.com

I have no time for expats who live here making accusations against the PAD for what they are doing

Then probably an expat forum about Thailand is not the right place for you.

Forums are for opinions and information.

and maybe some people should learn they cannot have everything perfect in life.

Yes, I agree but on the other hand doesn't everyone have a right to voice their opinion, or are you wanting to take that away?

No absolutely not and I am not saying that. I just think people should just sit back and watch society at its best ! use this as a life experience :o

So I honestly don't think that the folks on this forum are out protesting and shutting down the airports or creating chaos in the streets, we are merely voicing our opinions. I think that if you don't like to hear (errrr read) these opinions then perhaps it is you that should back your bags and more to a new forum. (perhaps..... www.themindlessandthoughtlessandunopinionated ) :D

Great post

Thanks!

Honestly I feel deeply ashamed that so many expats, whosoever are condoning the deeds of this bunch and whinging about their comfort, investment, interrupted travelplans....... ah well, and condemning a "tiny minority" of very brave people who decided to take their cause for the sake of their nation to the streets, to finish this once and for all. then occupied Government House and now are occupying the Nations main international airport to force this Government out of office!

THUMBS UP FOR THEM!

Edited by Samuian

Great post

Thanks!

Honestly I feel deeply ashamed that so many expats, whosoever are condoning the deeds this bunch of and whinghing about their comfort, investment....... ah well, and condemning a "tiny minority" of very brave people who decided to take their cause for the sake of their nation to the streets, to finish this once and for all. then occupied Government House and now are occupying the Nations main international airport to force this Government out of office!

THUMBS UP FOR THEM!

Sake of the nation or sake of their own personal interests, once there seemed to be a clear divide, now the lines have become increasing clouded. but then again, they havent shut your samui airport yet. lets wait a week.

Last time I checked, we had a Democratically Elected Government (like them or not) that the PAD are trying to overthrow.

Hmmm, try that in the UK or USA, taking over Heathrow or JFK, the Parliment or White House. Their action borders on another word and it is not democracy.

I believe there are many different forms of democracy to fit each country, you cannot throw western democracy which entails western values into an Asian country which does not share the same morals and values.

This is a cycle which Thailand has had for decades and as I have stated before thus far it has avoided major conflicts and dare I say it out right civil war. So in my book this is Thai-democracy and it works. I am sorry to break it to people but if anyone thinks Thailand will ever have a democracy like the UK or US they are sorely mistaken.

Democracy is corrupt in the west, they just hide it better.

James you are annoying me lolol you are forcing me into making a statment in which I would take sides haha stop it :o

I cannot understand why foreigners who live here are getting so angered with the PAD and the situation they have made, if you do not like it then bugger off to the power to the gov and no one else west !

This is their country and they have a right to do what they deem necassary. This is Thailands form of democracy and it will never change because this is how the cycle works and has thus far resolved all political situations with the minimal of civilian casualties. Can you imagine what the scene would be like if this happened in a south amercian country ? I do not want to !

I feel sorry for the tourists who were simply on holiday here and especially if they have kids, are old or disabled in anyway. I have no time for expats who live here making accusations against the PAD for what they are doing. As I have said before it quite simply is none of our business and if you do not like it then do not live here.

Their are many qualities in living in Thailand but just as in life there have to be negatives to balance it out. If you do not understand the fact that this type of situation is going to present itself all to often in this country then I would back ya bags now and head home.....well not by plane hahah

Why are you surprised that expats have an opinion? We pretty much have an opinion on everything from the best Mexican food in BKK to censoring movies to whether a farang and a Thai can have a meaningful relationship. And now there is a situation which is having a direct impact on many expats, and you think they should ignore it?

Granted, I do believe there is a line after which, if a person thinks things are too bad here, that person should just leave. But simply discussing things here is a far cry from taking action.

You say this is democracy in action. Others say it is thuggery. Different opinions for different people. But a civil discussion here is hardly out of line.

I do not advocate expats picking a shirt color and heading off to the protests. This is a Thai matter. But I do think that discussing this and pointing out the fallacies (from any side) is certainly normal and acceptable.

Agree with everything stated above, however I am not telling people they cannot discuss their own opinions and views and am simply adding my view :o

If you read back I never said I was against discussion itself but merely some opinions being expressed in those discussions.

I did read back.... and you said, (quote) "I cannot understand why foreigners who live here are getting so angered with the PAD and the situation they have made, if you do not like it then bugger off to the power to the gov and no one else west !"

So you are trying to control my emotions now? If I want to be angry I can be angry... If I want to be happy, I will be happy... Don't tell me to leave just because I express my emotions in my written opinions.... Thanks for understanding....

I have no time for expats who live here making accusations against the PAD for what they are doing

Then probably an expat forum about Thailand is not the right place for you.

Forums are for opinions and information.

and maybe some people should learn they cannot have everything perfect in life.

Yes, I agree but on the other hand doesn't everyone have a right to voice their opinion, or are you wanting to take that away?

No absolutely not and I am not saying that. I just think people should just sit back and watch society at its best ! use this as a life experience :o

So I honestly don't think that the folks on this forum are out protesting and shutting down the airports or creating chaos in the streets, we are merely voicing our opinions. I think that if you don't like to hear (errrr read) these opinions then perhaps it is you that should back your bags and more to a new forum. (perhaps..... www.themindlessandthoughtlessandunopinionated ) :D

Look seriously stop misquoting me it makes me very angry, please tell me where I said that I did not agree with discussion ? I just do not agree with some peoples actions, comments and opinons...I never said they should never comment again and that all conversation must holt.

Did I ?

I did read back.... and you said, (quote) "I cannot understand why foreigners who live here are getting so angered with the PAD and the situation they have made, if you do not like it then bugger off to the power to the gov and no one else west !"

So you are trying to control my emotions now? If I want to be angry I can be angry... If I want to be happy, I will be happy... Don't tell me to leave just because I express my emotions in my written opinions.... Thanks for understanding....

I never told you to stop discussing and voicing opinons did I ?

I beleive 'If you do not like it bugger off' is an expression ?????

I believe there are many different forms of democracy to fit each country, you cannot throw western democracy which entails western values into an Asian country which does not share the same morals and values.

This is a cycle which Thailand has had for decades and as I have stated before thus far it has avoided major conflicts and dare I say it out right civil war. So in my book this is Thai-democracy and it works. I am sorry to break it to people but if anyone thinks Thailand will ever have a democracy like the UK or US they are sorely mistaken.

Democracy is corrupt in the west, they just hide it better.

James you are annoying me lolol you are forcing me into making a statment in which I would take sides haha stop it :D

I don't know about you, but I read the constitution when it was released and if you take a moment to do so yourself, you will see that in it actions like this are not looked upon too kindly.

Annoying you, you say? I didn't start a topic such as this, one that borders on Trolling. :o

We may all have to bugger off if this bunch of thugs get there way. I say 'Thugs' because that is what I'm observing, thugish behaviour. You don't have to take sides to see it.

Foreigner I am, and don't I know it. My wife and daughters are Khon Thai though thats why I'm more than a little concerned. they have also become acustomed to a little freedom of speech during there time in the west and also to having a VOTE.

When it comes to the crunch they will be classed as rural and have the vote taken away from them.

Wish I could delve into my limited vocabulary and really express myself on here.

Great post

Thanks!

Honestly I feel deeply ashamed that so many expats, whosoever are condoning the deeds this bunch of and whinghing about their comfort, investment....... ah well, and condemning a "tiny minority" of very brave people who decided to take their cause for the sake of their nation to the streets, to finish this once and for all. then occupied Government House and now are occupying the Nations main international airport to force this Government out of office!

THUMBS UP FOR THEM!

Sake of the nation or sake of their own personal interests, once there seemed to be a clear divide, now the lines have become increasing clouded. but then again, they havent shut your samui airport yet. lets wait a week.

Excellent post, in my opinion.

I'm anti-Thaksin, and I agree that many of the PAD supporters seem like decent people with decent gripes. The problem is the PAD leaders and their motives (and their backers). Look at these PAD leaders, and what they've done in the past. Look at what they advocate. Their track records are equal to or worse than Thaksin's.

It comes down to this: I trust the PAD leaders and their motives less than the PPP leaders (who I don't trust at all), and so do the vast majority of Thai people - a repeating theme because it is true. I am not considering my personal comforts (because it doesn't matter to me who's in power), but the rights of the Thai populous. Easy.

(If you don't like what a tiny minority group are doing against an elected government then you should leave? Oli wa, ali na...)

"tiny minority" and "Elected Government"

these are the points which reoccur like a clockwork...

Does "tiny minority" make them automatically worthless?

Does "elected, democratically elected Government" make the Government immune against ANYTHING the electorate doesn't like?

Does an "elected Government" then have the rights to amend a constitution to bring an general amnesty against former indicted politicians?

Does an "elected Government" has the unquestionable right then to do what ever it pleases?

Does an "elected Government" has NO responsibilities towards the people by which it was elected?

Does an "elected Government" not to follow the given rules?

Does an "elected Government" has a free ticket to ride, to promote nepotism, corruption, opportunism in office?

Is it this what a "tiny minority" has to respect and simply shut up because they are, proven or unproven a "tiny minority"?

If the current Parties are really that much loved by the population, they could be sure of re-elections, why then they aren't going to go for it and dissolve the house?

Why not?

I f they are the CAUSE of the trouble, why isn't this "elected Government" giving in?

Why?

Because they have been treated "unfairly" by the biased courts, everything in this country is a conspiracy against these "honest" and "sincere" politicians, with an incredible score card of scandals and misdoings?

Well, I feel really,really sorry for them, angels!

is it so?

Excellent Post!

The PAD may be wrong or right in their cause but at least they have courage. The motives of the leaders may be to protect the elite old money but the majority of the protesters are just working class citizens risking their lives to save their country from what they feel is a corrupt and unjust government. I don't think too many of us would disagree with that.

if you do not like it then bugger off
:D:o

couldn't you come up with anything more original?

I doubt if the OP has ever had an original thought.

Joined tv in August and now an expert on Thai politics. :D

So let me get this right..... Knowledge on Thai politics is measured by how long one has been a member of an Thai expat forum????

(If you don't like what a tiny minority group are doing against an elected government then you should leave? Oli wa, ali na...)

If the current Parties are really that much loved by the population, they could be sure of re-elections, why then they aren't going to go for it and dissolve the house?

Why not?

This is an important question, and easy to answer too.

If they dissolve the house, now, and call an election, with the current state of court proceedings (set in motion by the illegal coup) they would not be able to reform their party - leaving only the Dems to contest the next election, with a few minor parties. Thus, the PAD / army / Dems would be getting exactly what they've been after for years - Dem party government. (along with all the favours that the Dems would owe to their PAD / army / other sponsors).

On the other hand, the Thai populous (majority) would have their consistently voiced vote taken away and the Dems forced on them, by a minority group based in Bangkok who want to control all the wealth.

So let me get this right..... Knowledge on Thai politics is measured by how long one has been a member of an Thai expat forum????

Yes. :D:D:(

So by being not Thai and living here you can not dislike ANYTHING here? No matter what someone posts here on TV the "If you don´t like it leave brigade" have to stick the nose in it.

"The tuktuk driver was rude to me! Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

"I got robbed." Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

"I got a bottle smashed in my face." Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

I will keep my opinion; PAD can have how many rallies they want, but when they hijack airports it is not called "meeting" it is called an act of terror.

Why not?

If they dissolve the house, now, and call an election, with the current state of court proceedings (set in motion by the illegal coup) they would not be able to reform their party - leaving only the Dems to contest the next election, with a few minor parties. Thus, the PAD / army / Dems would be getting exactly what they've been after for years - Dem party government. (along with all the favours that the Dems would owe to their PAD / army / other sponsors).

On the other hand, the Thai populous (majority) would have their consistently voiced vote taken away and the Dems forced on them, by a minority group based in Bangkok who want to control all the wealth.

Sounds about right.

So by being not Thai and living here you can not dislike ANYTHING here? No matter what someone posts here on TV the "If you don´t like it leave brigade" have to stick the nose in it.

"The tuktuk driver was rude to me! Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

"I got robbed." Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

"I got a bottle smashed in my face." Answer "if you do not like it then bugger off!"

I will keep my opinion; PAD can have how many rallies they want, but when they hijack airports it is not called "meeting" it is called an act of terror.

Act of terror in the west but not here.

Then I am the Oracal of everything to do with Thai Politics? Nah harder to work out than women :D

:D hehe... I was only trying to stick up for him, you big bully.

Why not?

Sounds about right.

Excellent post (your best so far).

You're warming up mate - keep up the good work. :o

Why not?

Sounds about right.

Excellent post (your best so far).

You're warming up mate - keep up the good work. :o

Funnnnyyy

This thread already shows the makings of a good 'un. Some much needed light-hearted relief during a time of stress and pain.

Let's keep it civil, and it'll be fun.

I'm off for a qiuck shower, but will eagerly return in five minutes, with a tiger, for some more (and much needed) 'lesson on life'.

Quick shower, how about a nice long bath or don't you like nice long baths?

And Tiger! Why not drink Chang...

If people come to Thailand and don't like nice long baths and Chang they can just bugger off.

As can newbies who still havn'e discovered outside of Bankok and feel the need to have Thai place names in their avatars to impress their mates back at the anorak factory.

I hate this thread so I suppose I better just bugger off as well.

Bye.

PS anybody know why I encourage these trolls! Answers on a post card...

Great post

Thanks!

THUMBS UP FOR THEM!

Are you implying that my opinion will change then?

besides the Samui Airport is owned by bkk-air!

Then it is low season anyway, sorry for the travelers and the terrible inconvienience being stranded!

I believe since yesterday there are attempts to move the stranded to hotels and make 'em comfy...because they aren't the targets!

By now I have heavy doubts that the "democratically elected government" supporters and proclaimers do know what they are talking about - wish could make their wish come true for a reasonable amount of time... and have their sponsor back to see what is going to happen then! :o

Minority or not - the PAD are supported by folks from all different stations in life. A small cross-section for consideration being my Thai colleagues: Every member of staff at my Bangkok place of work (from the maids and drivers, the receptionists, right up to the MD) have attended the demos to provide support and sustenance. To refer to the entire kit and kaboodle of demonstrators as 'thugs' is rather dismissive, don't you think?

On the other hand, I'm sure we've all seen the videos of Tuesday's skirmishes on the way to the airport. In any group of politically motivated individuals, there will be different accepted levels of activism. The larger the group, the greater the potential for disparity and thus for violence. To brand all the PADs as trouble-makers is like saying every soccer fan is a violent hooligan (although there may be some truth in that :D ). So please don't lump my sweet, diminutive, motherly boss in with the stick-wielding, moto-burning militants.

I won't express my own opinion of the situation here because - to be honest - I doubt whether I fully understand the political intricacies. However, I will happily defend anyone's right to protest. As far as I'm concerned, if I was someone who didn't recognise the legitimacy of my government and they were trying to sneak changes to the country's constitution, I'd be the first one up on my soap box. If picketing govmt hse didn't work, I'd be looking for a way to make people sit up and take notice too.

Certain forum contributors have a great flair for the dramatic, which, while entertaining, is contributing to a serious loss of perspective. And as far as 'lessons on life go' - thanks OP, but I'll take my lessons from life: I've got a fridge full of beer, I've got a good book to read and now I'm going to sit back and see what happens before I get my knickers in a twist. :o

PS. Everyone's harking on about democracy this and democracy that now but when I'm queen of the universe - you'll be doing things my way! :D