Army Chief Urged To Stage Coup

george

Would you support a coup?  

949 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is better for tourism, if the elected government is seen to be strong enough to direct the police/army to remove the protesters from ALL of the places it occupies.

The current perception is that Thailand has "Mob Rule", this is no good for any trade be it tourism, business or anything else!

FF

The problem is the current government is NOT strong enough to direct the police and army.

So would you prefer a sham? How safe would that be?

It's game over. The government needs to go.

what is this about?

illegal wood cutting and drugs trade ... that's what the PAD is really after ... everything else is just blah

Yeah. Right. Go back to school!

As long as there are elections and as long as the rural majority is allowed to vote, the elected governments will be unacceptable to the PAD.

As long as the rural majority can be bought off for 500 Baht a vote it will be unacceptable to PAD.

It's much easier to buy a few million people's votes for 500 Baht a pop than say a few thousand Bangkokians vote for several million each... You cannot have a government elected on the back of bribery. That is not democracy.

Edited by scratt

Girlfriend works for Harrow in Don Muang. Parents are coming to pick their kids up early as tanks are in the area (few km's away). Many seem certain of a coup but everyone's pretty much in the dark at this point.

was advised about 30 mins ago that there are tanks and armoured personal carriers in the area of democracy monument -- looks like things are about to happen around the city if this is the case

As long as there are elections and as long as the rural majority is allowed to vote, the elected governments will be unacceptable to the PAD.

As long as the rural majority can be bought off for 500 Baht a vote it will be unacceptable to PAD.

It's much easier to buy a few million people's votes for 500 Baht a pop than say a Bangkokians vote for several million...

You cannot have a government elected on the back of bribery.

thanks for the laugh, mate! In times like these, its good that you have kept your sense of humor!

The People's Alliance for Democracy insists it will continue its airport occupation and other protests until Somchai resigns. It also has rejected the general's proposal for elections, pushing instead for the appointment of a temporary government.

I didn't hear anything about the PAD rejecting fresh elections....

In any case Khun Anupong has been admirable in trying to resist calls for a coup, but now it is time for him to do so.

He is a steadfast and trustworthy man to take over at this point, and infinitely superior to the current corrupt regime.

Also, can people please stop saying that PAD want power. They do not. They want free and fair elections, and a government free of corruption. They have voluntarily disbanded once, and will do it again.

:o Well put, Scratt. Seems that George & whatever corporate hack wrote that piece for AP are backing the Thaksin shills that bought the last election! I haven't read an honest political article from the Associated Press in years. Shame, it used to be respected for responsible journalism.

The "anti-rich & powerful" riots in Mumbai are just a signal of the spreading despair of the disenfrancised populaces of many nations that simply are not going to stand for the corruption, greed, internal acts of terror, and violent reactions of those in power when people try to protest peacefully. I think we local foreigners and visiting falanges should stay out of Thai politics...period. I'm for peace and good governance, here and back home.

They should immediately cancel the pension of this chap. HE is co responsible for what is going on, he is a PAD supporter, Both he and Prem should be brought to trial. If Thaksin gets a prison term, Chamlong and Sondhi and the mountain goat impersonator should be given the bullet. Especially given the fact that they demand sympathy from everybody and cause sorrow for hundreds of thousands of people. Sick, dying, children, elderly travellers. And if this work, the UDD should apply the very sam tactic to any new government that is formed. Unfortunately in this backward country, the leaders are all in their late 70's and 80's. They live a life from back in the 70's. People who are over 70 should resign and ask younger people to rule. We need an kind of Obama here, a young guy who lives now and not in the past. What the PAD is doing is nothing less than trying to keep the clock from going forward. they have had a cozy live in which they could misuse the boys as virtual slaves in their factories, the girls as entertainers from the worst kind, and they held the elderly hostage by denying them healthcare and schooling for their children and grandchildren. Take all the money that these people hold, and confiscate it, they have caused considerable more damage to Thailand than Thaksin could do in 7 lives.

Where is the police how cme the generals are not purged? Where are the sharpshooters who take out all armed civilians disobeying orders to disperse? Where are the courts that jumped over Thaksin and his cronies whenever they could and that are held in contempt by the PAD over and over. Thaksin has a case, the system is rotten, the elite is rotten, the generals are rotten. If anyone give the PAD what they want you better emigrate to Zimbabwe Mugabe is more decent than Sondhi and Chamlong.

Great post. Nuke Thailand from orbit, that'll fix it, yeah. Any other useful suggestions?

Civil war - thats the best option!

Machete's and elephants at dawn. Spectators welcome.Seeing as the PAD has both airport why not have both sides fighting on the runways - you already have the stands for viewing.

Thailand poilitics are so so laughable that its only inevitable that this is happening. It's to do with the nations childish psyche,the lack of accountability,men being over pampered by Mummy and Grandma.The superficial smile,man I don't trust no one who smiles all the time.

After living in Thailand for 15yrs,I know I made the right decision taking my wife,2 kids back to England - how can you build a future on sand!

Good luck to you all,get you kevlar jackets ready..............Thailand is DOOMED!

lb1

Pathompong urges Army chief to stage coup

BANGKOK: -- Gen Pathompong Kesornsuk, former chief advisor of the Supreme Command, urged Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda to stage coup to prevent himself from being sacked by the government.

Speaking to protesters at the Government House, Pathompong said the Army chief should not allow Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to purge him.

Coup rumours were widely spread Thursday with a lot of phone calls being made to several newspapers' editorial offices to check whether coup was being staged.

The rumours came a day after Anupong called on Somchai to dissolve the House Wednesday afternoon. But Somchai went on TV late Wednesday to announce that his government would not either resign or dissolve the House.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Note: Please vote in our poll above. You need to be logged in in order to vote!

Am I reading correctly. Are we now being asked to vote for a coup? Isn't that a contradiction in terms, or only outide Thailand? Are Fahrangs eligible to vote for/against coups?

I think further clarification is required. Anyhow good to see forum readers finally having a say in things here. Should stop a lot of idle opinionating. :o

Several used cliches are available for the next few posters,

Kill them all, and let Buddha sort them out.

We had to destroy the country in order to save it.

Give peace a chance.

My enemies are bad, I am the only good one here.

The friend of my friend is the enemy of my enemy, and I'll have som tam, thanks.

Will the last farang out of here turn off the lights?

What if my usufruct is fruct?

Somchai won't resign unless he's told to by Thaksin and Thaksin won't tell him to. This is part of Mr. T's strategy. After the last coup the Army were hailed as national heroes for getting rid of Mr. T and his corrupt cronies for the benefit of the country. Now Mr. T will have his revenge on the army. By telling Somchai and his police buddies to do nothing with the PAD protesters Thaksin is forcing the army's hand against their best judgment. With the airports closed this can not be allowed to continue indefinitely like the occupation of Government House. Thaksin must be very pleased the PAD has made this move to the airports. Somchai will sit on his hands as long as Thaksin tells him to.

The army can't justify a coup as easily this time as Somchai hasn't done the things Thaksin was accused of. All Somchai is guilty of is being ineffective and stubborn. Hardly reasons for the army to justify a coup. Anupong no doubt realises this and is backing away from a coup because this time around the army will not be seen as the good guys rescuing the country. Even freeing up the airports of PAD protesters would be hard for the army to justify as reason for a coup both locally and internationally. Righfully this is the job of the police. Somchai and Anupong both must know this.

IF THE ARMY STAGES A COUP IT GIVES GREAT CREDIBILITY TO THAKSIN'S CLAIMS THAT THAILAND IS UNDEMOCRATIC, THAT HE IS BEING PERSECUTED FOR HIS POLITICS AND THAT THE CHARGES AGAINST HIM ARE UNFAIR. BY STAGING A COUP THE ARMY PLAYS A LOOSING HAND IN THE GAME THAKSIN IS PLAYING WITH THAILAND AND THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY.

Thaksin's game plan is for the army to stage a coup and discredit themselves in the process particularly in the eyes of the international community. There will be casualties but probably not by the army but by the as yet unidentified bombers among the PAD crowd planted there to make things worse than they otherwise would be. It won't matter who's responsible for the protester casualties the army will be blamed by the pro-government crowd and it will stick. Thailand becomes more fractured in the process. The more fractured Thailand becomes the more power and appeal Thaksin has to return as the mesiah. Thaksin wants to be begged to return, as in "Please come back. We need you. All is forgiven."

The only value in a coup is if the army takes the opportunity to clean up the rotten political core of this country. It proved too difficult last time. It can't be done without exiling, jailing and killing and it will take years. Certainly a lot longer than the time in which the international ciommunity will expect democracy to be restored. What's needed is something like a 10 year transition period where those who are corrupt want to leave can do so in the first few months after which a "Truth Commission" is empowered to investigate and punish the corrupt who remain. So it should be "pack your bags, go now and never come back, or stay and accept the consequences." At the same time the civil service should also be purged of anyone with a political connection or who was politically appointed. When elections are finally held anyone who has previously been a politician or has political connections should be banned from being a candidate.

Sound extreme ? Sure. But without it any house dissdolution, coup, new election, new political party or anything else will have no effect beyond the short term. Given that the extreme solution needed has absolutely no chance of happening why do the PAD, the army or anyone else bother ? Nothing they do will change anything, unfortunately. Democracy will not function in Thailand until the economic shackles, and with them educational and intellectual constraints, are removed from the voters.

Sorry PeaceBlondie, I didn't manage to get even one in.

Edited by sibeymai

A military coup is already underway, and has been for some time. Unlike the previous coup, this one is not being accomplished overtly through acts of commission, but rather through acts of omission. Namely, the military and the police are not fulfilling their their mandated responsibilities to protect the peace and follow the rule of law. The military and police leaders would prefer not to have to overtly overthrow the government, so they have been doing so by refusing to obey orders. If things continue to spin out of control they will be forced to take steps to finalize the coup, all the while claiming they are only doing so reluctantly. PAD are only the front men in this game, backed by powerful interests paying lip service to the principles of democracy and clean government, but in reality very opposed to those concepts as they are in direct conflict with the lucrative game they have been playing for many years. Thaksin and his cronies were/are indeed corrupt and have/had many faults, but PAD and its backers are not White Knights coming to Thailand's rescue. I would advise PAD backers to remember that the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

It's much easier to buy a few million people's votes for 500 Baht a pop than say a few thousand Bangkokians vote for several million each... You cannot have a government elected on the back of bribery. That is not democracy.

you actually believe this ???

how do all these PAD'rs pay for their food? out of their own pocket? they don't have to work?

really? how's payi9ng for the TV station, the concerts, etc ???

... get real man, they're getting paid to protest and the money is coming from illegal wood cutting and drugs trade !

this whole buying vote argument is so childish; explain this to me;

I take 1000 baht from 1 party, take 1000 baht from the second party, but actually vote for a third party ... how do you know, how do you stop it?

you're whole vote-buying argument has no value what so ever !

all it means is that you're really bad in finding excuses ...

Pathompong urges Army chief to stage coup

BANGKOK: -- Gen Pathompong Kesornsuk, former chief advisor of the Supreme Command, urged Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda to stage coup to prevent himself from being sacked by the government.

Speaking to protesters at the Government House, Pathompong said the Army chief should not allow Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to purge him.

Coup rumours were widely spread Thursday with a lot of phone calls being made to several newspapers' editorial offices to check whether coup was being staged.

The rumours came a day after Anupong called on Somchai to dissolve the House Wednesday afternoon. But Somchai went on TV late Wednesday to announce that his government would not either resign or dissolve the House.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Note: Please vote in our poll above. You need to be logged in in order to vote!

Thailand doesn't need another coup. There is a democratically elected government in place. Vote them out at the next election if you're not happy with them. That's what other democratic countries do or have a vote of no confidence in the current government. After the last coup Thai Rak Thai was disbanded by the military government and a new election took place. PAD and the military were surprised when the country - not just Bangkok - voted pretty much the same party back in to power. They were miffed at the fact that it made the last coup a pointless exercise. Why not just have done with it and sack the pretence of democracy and just stick the military in power permanantly. They could build a new capital away from Bangkok and repress the stupid and non-educated masses who really shouldn't have the right to vote anyway, just like they do across the border in Mayanmar. It seems that the military are the ones calling the shots anyway, behind the scenes, and we all know which horse they're backing, because of the last coup and their reluctance to get involved in restoring order now.

On Thai websites there are rumours of a coup all over the place.

Makes you wonder if a coup is going to happen without Anupong's clearance or whether he is just plain lying.

Just for the sake of it - I would refrain from calling the Supreme Commander a liar!

Beside this fact, I would suggest the word "tactics", or "deceit".... they might fit the situation much better and would be more balnced as well as logic - regarding the situation!

A coup de etat can't be declared up front!

How is that?

If Thaksin gets a prison term, Chamlong and Sondhi and the mountain goat impersonator should be given the bullet.

Yes wrecker we all know how you feel about the situation, if it was up to you all the PAD would be given a bullet. Man, women and child. Fortunately for all of us, you're not in charge. :o

I believe military vehicles have been seen heading towards the Police Headquarters. Looks like the coup is on. Unofficially heard that 8pm being the time. Still rumours are abound, but military vehicles have definitenly been seen in numbers moving at speed in Bangkok.

Edited by MartinEMS

Civil war - thats the best option!

Machete's and elephants at dawn. Spectators welcome.Seeing as the PAD has both airport why not have both sides fighting on the runways - you already have the stands for viewing.

Thailand poilitics are so so laughable that its only inevitable that this is happening. It's to do with the nations childish psyche,the lack of accountability,men being over pampered by Mummy and Grandma.The superficial smile,man I don't trust no one who smiles all the time.

After living in Thailand for 15yrs,I know I made the right decision taking my wife,2 kids back to England - how can you build a future on sand!

Good luck to you all,get you kevlar jackets ready..............Thailand is DOOMED!

lb1

at least we're not stuck in shit weather. enjoy the flu! :o

Edited by anothertorres

Why can't the army restore the law without taking over the government? Isn't that what would happen in any other country? I guess a coup was what the PAD has been looking for since the beginning. The next thing to question would be who is behind the PAD and why do they want a military dictatorship? Do they want it to be permanent? Are they staging a military dictatorship as a transition to something else? If so, what transition? Questions, questions and no answers to post on a public forum I suppose. Sad times for Thailand.

Well, it appears from reports in the foreign media that I've seen that this is something that cannot be discussed here in Thailand.

A coup is a Banana Republic solution.

Shame on any coup-happy farangs here who are from more politically mature societies. You should be wearing a giant yellow banana-shaped hat so you could receive the jeering you so richly deserve. Stop caving in to Thai mentality and try to be an example for a change.

Instead of a coup, rather I'd like to see PAD, the military and the police respect a democratically-elected government, despite any past voting irregularities (if you choose to believe PAD's urban legend).

A coup is a short-term "fix" tried by Thailand 18 times in the past 50 years. It usually results in injury, loss of life, and makes the country the laughing stock of the world. Every coup is a blow to the principle of government by the will of the people, not by the barrel of a gun.

PAD and PPP are sounding like both sides of the same coin right now arn't they?

They both want governance, and they are both blaming each other of acting selfishly.

Think. Does Thailand really want to sink into a ex-soviet style rule where only large organised social groups have the right to influence governance?

Has anyone pondered the possiblity that this chaos was engineered (on the concept of dualism) to render a future national socialist regeme? The media would be more than happy to support such a regime right?.

Anyone remember the 1930's? Who are the victims? Who stands to benefit?

---------

Who?What?Why?Where?When?How?

The only bad question is the one not asked.

They should immediately cancel the pension of this chap. HE is co responsible for what is going on, he is a PAD supporter, Both he and Prem should be brought to trial. If Thaksin gets a prison term, Chamlong and Sondhi and the mountain goat impersonator should be given the bullet. Especially given the fact that they demand sympathy from everybody and cause sorrow for hundreds of thousands of people. Sick, dying, children, elderly travellers. And if this work, the UDD should apply the very sam tactic to any new government that is formed. Unfortunately in this backward country, the leaders are all in their late 70's and 80's. They live a life from back in the 70's. People who are over 70 should resign and ask younger people to rule. We need an kind of Obama here, a young guy who lives now and not in the past. What the PAD is doing is nothing less than trying to keep the clock from going forward. they have had a cozy live in which they could misuse the boys as virtual slaves in their factories, the girls as entertainers from the worst kind, and they held the elderly hostage by denying them healthcare and schooling for their children and grandchildren. Take all the money that these people hold, and confiscate it, they have caused considerable more damage to Thailand than Thaksin could do in 7 lives.

Where is the police how cme the generals are not purged? Where are the sharpshooters who take out all armed civilians disobeying orders to disperse? Where are the courts that jumped over Thaksin and his cronies whenever they could and that are held in contempt by the PAD over and over. Thaksin has a case, the system is rotten, the elite is rotten, the generals are rotten. If anyone give the PAD what they want you better emigrate to Zimbabwe Mugabe is more decent than Sondhi and Chamlong.

Agreed and Thaksin, Newin and Co are rotten too. If he gets back he'll be locking doors behind him. El Presidente for life. No I dont have a quick solution or a slow one but I know evil when I smell it so I bark like a soi dog..