Protesters Look Set To Be Dispersed At 3 P.m.

BangkokBP

What does it tell us?

1. The Police is not supporting and following the orders of the government

2. The Army is not supporting and following the order of the government

3. The Government is exiled in Chiang Mai

4. The airports will remain closed over the weekend

5. Thailand is without government

Say bye bye Mr. Somchai, today!

Its obvious that most people support PAD. If not this would have been over when it started.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interior Minister: Government to deal gently with PAD

BANGKOK, Nov 28 (TNA) – Interior Minister Pol. Gen. Kowit Wattana confirmed Friday that the government will deal as gently as possible with the anti government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters who have closed Bangkok's airports.

Appointed by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to take charge of removing PAD from the two protest sites, the minister was on his way to a meeting with police and military offifials when stopped by the media.

He declined to give details of his move to cope with the demonstrators, currently besieging Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Meanwhile, officials met with Prime Minister Somchai met via video conference Friday morning, as the remained in Chiang Mai.

Mr. Somchai imposed an emergency decree on Thursday, telling the public via television that Police Region 1 would be in charge of clearing the blockade at Suvarnabhumi Aiport, where police would be assisted by naval personnel.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau was assigned to clear Don Mueang Airport, where police would be assisted by the air force personnel. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 15:42:41 28 November 2008 (GMT+7:00)

There's no way they'll pass the amendments on Dec 8-9 now. It's uncertain they would be able to have that session at all.

On Monday they tried to ambush the MPs - wait until everyone gets together to vote on Asean related laws, then hit them with amendments. The usual stalling tactic of not showing up wouldn't have worked, and many coalition MPs wouldn't date to vote against it in the open session.

There's a reason they publicly denied there were going to do it, it's likely that for the same reason the plan won't work on Dec 8.

There's also an important speech on Dec 4, I don't think PPP would have the numbers after that.

Closing arguements in the diso cases on Dec 2. Maybe verdict on Dec 3. Break for the speech on Dec 4.

there is just the issue of who becomes acting government which may require court interpretation after the diso, but could so easily end up in being an appointed interim government. the constituional ammendments are dead if this scenario takes place. Dec 2 is before Dec 8 simple as that.

If the red shirts go insane over the weekend there could be a coup but failing that....

I can't see why the PAD would leave. Free food, air conditioning and lots of attention. Freedom to act like you are the ones making the shots without any repercussions. My Thai friend told me on her way to work she was offered 500 Baht to join a PAD protest at the Emporium but she declined. Until the Government makes it clear that PAD will be punished and prosecuted there are going to be lots of people who think that 500 Baht and minor celebrity is a pretty sweet deal. I am all for a peaceful resolution if possible but I think we are already past that point and lessons need to be learned, examples need to be made of those who flagrantly ignore the law.

If you have a grievance there are civil ways to protest.

From the BP breaking news.

Senior government, police and military officials took part in a teleconference called by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat Friday to discuss the national situation after the government declared a state of emergency on two of Bangkok's international airports the night before.

Interior Minister Kowit Wattana, who was appointed by the prime minister to oversee all authorities involved under the emergency executive decree, said methods aimed at removing the PAD groups from the airports would progress from mild and increase in severity, and that the focus would be on negotiation.

The concept of increasing severity of negotiation will be interesting. Sleep deprivation?

I can't see why the PAD would leave. Free food, air conditioning and lots of attention. Freedom to act like you are the ones making the shots without any repercussions. My Thai friend told me on her way to work she was offered 500 Baht to join a PAD protest at the Emporium but she declined. Until the Government makes it clear that PAD will be punished and prosecuted there are going to be lots of people who think that 500 Baht and minor celebrity is a pretty sweet deal. I am all for a peaceful resolution if possible but I think we are already past that point and lessons need to be learned, examples need to be made of those who flagrantly ignore the law.

I agree. Send Somchai and his Thaksin cronies far, far away.

I agree. Send Somchai and his Thaksin cronies far, far away.

Or offer Bht 10Mil to anyone who returns him to Thailand to face his well deserved gaol sentence.

Until the Government makes it clear that PAD will be punished and prosecuted there are going to be lots of people who think that 500 Baht and minor celebrity is a pretty sweet deal.

Exactly. This government is weak and as each hour passes getting more so. In the end though, this is all going to end very badly for PAD as the Thai authorities reputation for "tolerence" is legendary...!!!

Gone 5pm now, still nothing happening.....

:o

Edited by CockneyGit

What does it tell us?

Its obvious that most people support PAD. If not this would have been over when it started.

Really? Obviously you have not been to Issan, people started taking money out of Bangkok Bank yesterday up here (about 15million baht in one day at my local branch) after a rumour of Bangkok Bank supporting PAD hit the streets. (My friends wife works in the bank)

I just called a friend at Gov't House and he said as of right now (3:20PM), no sign of the police. Hopefully, it is another bluff.

Well if they are to disperse the protesters with "psychological warfare" i'm afraid it will lake a looooong time... a very long time.

Psychology - 'The basic concept of rational-emotive behaviour' I think best start with something a little simpler - like war of 'who good who not good'

Maybe the police are busy folding paper birds to drop on the airports?

You got that right!

Pol Lt Gen Suchart said after the teleconference that authorities will attempt to convey to members of the mob that they are violating the law and persuade them to leave. Some of these attempts could be relaying the message through friends and relatives, posting of announcements, and air-dropping fliers.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=132356

Senior government, police and military officials took part in a teleconference called by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat Friday to discuss the national situation after the government declared a state of emergency on two of Bangkok's international airports the night before.

Interior Minister Kowit Wattana, who was appointed by the prime minister to oversee all authorities involved under the emergency executive decree, said methods aimed at removing the PAD groups from the airports would progress from mild and increase in severity, and that the focus would be on negotiation.

The concept of increasing severity of negotiation will be interesting. Sleep deprivation?

ROTFLOL, best laugh of the day. :o

What does it tell us?

Really? Obviously you have not been to Issan, people started taking money out of Bangkok Bank yesterday up here (about 15million baht in one day at my local branch) after a rumour of Bangkok Bank supporting PAD hit the streets. (My friends wife works in the bank)

Your local branch of Bangkok Bank keeps over 15 million in cash on hand in Isaan?

I just called a friend at Gov't House and he said as of right now (3:20PM), no sign of the police. Hopefully, it is another bluff.

Well if they are to disperse the protesters with "psychological warfare" i'm afraid it will lake a looooong time... a very long time.

Psychology - 'The basic concept of rational-emotive behaviour' I think best start with something a little simpler - like war of 'who good who not good'

High Pressure Water Cannons & Rubber Bullets does it for me nothing like being bruised and wet to send you home with your tail between your legs :o

Thaksin's money is IN Bangkok Bank among others

he wants to put pressure one them so they will ignore the Attorney General

and just send it to him rather than risk a run on their bank.

So calling them Pro PAD up north is a perfect tactical maneuver.

There's no way they'll pass the amendments on Dec 8-9 now. It's uncertain they would be able to have that session at all.

On Monday they tried to ambush the MPs - wait until everyone gets together to vote on Asean related laws, then hit them with amendments. The usual stalling tactic of not showing up wouldn't have worked, and many coalition MPs wouldn't date to vote against it in the open session.

There's a reason they publicly denied there were going to do it, it's likely that for the same reason the plan won't work on Dec 8.

There's also an important speech on Dec 4, I don't think PPP would have the numbers after that.

And ....the 2nd December...

Three parties ordered to deliver closing speech in party-dissolution case on Dec 2

The Constitution Court Friday ordered the People Power Party, Chart Thai Party and Matchima Tipataya Party to deliver their closing statement in the party-dissolution case against them on December 2.

The court held a session at 10:30 am Friday and ordered the parties to send their leaders to deliver closing speech at 9:30 am.

If they do not attend the session, the court will regard that the parties forfeit their right to deliver the closing speech.

The court also dismissed the parties' request to hold more inquiries, saying the court has enough written evidence for deliberation.

The nation

Let's see if they get dissolved... the PPP stands in the rain and so does this Government... :o the inevitable may happen in early December...no coup needed!

High Pressure Water Cannons & Rubber Bullets does it for me nothing like being bruised and wet to send you home with your tail between your legs :o

How do you bring the water cannons inside the building?

I guess PAD will try to hide in the offices. plug off the tower.....

Some groups may have guns hiding somewhere while others are children/elderly women.

To clear that is horrible I think.

Let's see if they get dissolved... the PPP stands in the rain and so does this Government... :o the inevitable may happen in early December...no coup needed!

But time enough to change the constitution if PAD goes home.

IN many countries playing bad pop music at ear splitting volume might do the trick- got a feeling that it wouldn't in Thailand though.

Dec 2 is the day of the final defense statements in party dissolution case, the verdict should come two weeks later.

At least we are spared from listening to several dozens of defence witnesses - they wanted every party exec to speak for himself. The court said they have enough written statemets already.

Waiting for the verdict with airport closed is not an option, however it's possible that all parties were waiting for this announcement to make any decisions. I bet for PPP it looks like the game is over, there's nothing they can do for Thaksin anymore, it's only pride talking, should subside in a day or two.

No there is still time enough to change the constitution.

There is a meeting sheduled for the 8th (if I am not wrong) and the verdict is somewhen 13th.

So the stakes are very high now.

did the PAD disperse? any news at all?

The crackdown should be at 8 pm

Despite earlier reports that the Metropolitan police have been ordered to prepare to disperse the PAD protesters at Don Muang at 3 p.m. today, new rounds of reports have emerged that Interior Minister Kowit Wattana has ordered the police to prepare to take actions against the PAD at 8 p.m. tonight.

Meanwhile the PAD lawyer has filed a petition with the Administrative Court for a temporary injunction against PM Somchai Wongsawat's evoking of emergency decree at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010885

But time enough to change the constitution if PAD goes home.

Time yes, but... will they manage, that remains, so far the question!

is it that why Natthawut "threatens" to bring Taksin in, in case "they interfere"?

The amendment is the foremost thing to get done...

And ....the 2nd December...

Three parties ordered to deliver closing speech in party-dissolution case on Dec 2

The Constitution Court Friday ordered the People Power Party, Chart Thai Party and Matchima Tipataya Party to deliver their closing statement in the party-dissolution case against them on December 2.

The court held a session at 10:30 am Friday and ordered the parties to send their leaders to deliver closing speech at 9:30 am.

If they do not attend the session, the court will regard that the parties forfeit their right to deliver the closing speech.

The court also dismissed the parties' request to hold more inquiries, saying the court has enough written evidence for deliberation.

The nation

if this is the case why did PAD seize Swampy?

How do you bring the water cannons inside the building?

I guess PAD will try to hide in the offices. plug off the tower.....

Some groups may have guns hiding somewhere while others are children/elderly women.

To clear that is horrible I think.

The PAD leaders have to know the dangers of children / ederly women being their pawns. Why would they continue to encourage them to stay there knowing the eminent danger. It seems they don't care about Thailand or their supporters.