100,000 Passengers Miss Flights In 3 Days

george

OK tell me were you want to go and i will find a way for you....6 yrs of visa runs around asia, im sure i can find a solution...

Want try...lets go

It's not about where I want to go. It's where about 100,000 people (300,000 by Monday), will want to go to.

I agree for a big number is a problem but Thailand have 20 airport, then if they start to send someone in malesia,vietnam that will be more easy ...

Only today from utapao that is a very small and old airport i see 8 fly come and go....come on if they live the people in the hotel.....

ciao

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in U Tapao this afternOon 2 to 6.

initially things were going ok, people with boarding pass in hand and only handluggage

going through a first hall, after that is the Departure Hall, though the first hall got quite hot

being ful of people, but then at 5 pm people traffic into the hall from the curb started jamming up

and people with megaphones called for people who s flight was on to come forward and the couldn't

it felt pretty bad. Also coach and car traffic was massive at 5pm. I dont know I had the impression it wd be

going into some kind of gridlock./chaos.

Also was offered one () drum stick and a bowl size portion of plain rice for 100 th b and I heard a van tout offering a ride for 6 people into BKK for 7000 thb. Because there are also pax coming in which kinda startled me.

These people had to walk quite long with their luggage to coaches. And other departing people started getting their, now with their luggage, it wasn't too pretty. On the way back three vans had slammed into each other, the last 10 km to U Tapoa (which is app 50 km from PTY) of the road is quite unsufficient. I hope everyone gets through but not 100 airplane loads a day. I had exactly 12 people from over 100 make it through today (check in Centara World, get boarding pass, TG transfer to U Tapoa, luggage goes through in van. Nicely done and TG made a terrific efort to get them through but at this rate, I m starting to feel a little stressed, because more people add each day to my numbers than the number I manage to get out.

I agree for a big number is a problem but Thailand have 20 airport, then if they start to send someone in malesia,vietnam that will be more easy ...

I don't think it helps sending 100,000 people to Malaysia or Vietnam. Vietnam doesn't fly to many major airports in the world, mostly in Asia. That's the problem. Bangkok is a major international hub for airlines. And many people have their holiday budget carefully planned, especially with the global recession. Not everyone can afford flying to another country and home from there.

OK tell me were you want to go and i will find a way for you....6 yrs of visa runs around asia, im sure i can find a solution...

Want try...lets go

It's not about where I want to go. It's where about 100,000 people (300,000 by Monday), will want to go to.

Only today from utapao that is a very small and old airport i see 8 fly come and go....come on if they live the people in the hotel.....

ciao

Please stop this discussion, it is going nowhere. The reason it started is because someone lost money because of not being somewhere 3 days. Which might be because of missing a business meeting or something.

Still, everyone will be delayed, getting a train or bus to Phuket or Chang Mai is a step a tourist or foreigner doesn't easily take and your airline company needs to be prepared to rebook your flight or you need to be willing to pay a lot extra to fly to your new destination.

Also you might need odd flying schedules because Chang Mai, U Tupao or Phuket doesn't fly to all destinations in the world thus extra stop overs.

It is NOT easy, even if you are going to go to Kuala Lumpur (which involves a night train or bus) or even go to Cambodia or Vietnam.

So stop this discussion, there is always a way if you really want but it isn't easy or fast.

I guess I'll add add my name to the list of people stranded. I was supposed to go home today to Nepal. There is no alternatives to that country and there will most likely never be one. That's kinda why I live there. But if Thai airways (or whoever) is willing to pay for a 5-star stay with food included, I'll open up a DVD stall or something and stay on forever. Or just be a bum with a good hotel room. But I am worried that I now have to pay for my own Pepsi and coffee...the hotel is just giving us water. But the Thai food is great here...cheers!

SBP

Want try...lets go

ciao

Oceano, glad to hear that. Please find me this solution:

I've got a client stuck in hotel in Cambodia that flew in with Air China, and went on with Bangkok Airways.

The client holds no Thai visa, as was expecting to get it at the Swampy airport on the way back, should it be needed, as it was transfer only.

Having Chinese passport, requiring visas to all the surrounding countries and having to be in China latest morning of this coming Monday, and without any direct flights to China, please give me a solution to get this person to China within tomorrow.

As you seem don't see any of this a problem, all additional expenses are on you. Please send your credit card number along with the authorization letter that you accept any expenses occurred.

They won't be exceeding hiring a private jet, which is peanuts compared to how much damage morons from PAD are causing AOT every minute.

Sorry im italian so my english is not so good,

is chinese man,him stay in cambodia and have to go in china monday and need direct fly right?

Edited by oceano

Want try...lets go

ciao

Oceano, glad to hear that. Please find me this solution:

I've got a client stuck in hotel in Cambodia that flew in with Air China, and went on with Bangkok Airways.

The client holds no Thai visa, as was expecting to get it at the Swampy airport on the way back, should it be needed, as it was transfer only.

Having Chinese passport, requiring visas to all the surrounding countries and having to be in China latest morning of this coming Monday, and without any direct flights to China, please give me a solution to get this person to China within tomorrow.

As you seem don't see any of this a problem, all additional expenses are on you. Please send your credit card number along with the authorization letter that you accept any expenses occurred.

They won't be exceeding hiring a private jet, which is peanuts compared to how much damage morons from PAD are causing AOT every minute.

Sorry im italian so my english is not so good,

is chinese man,him stay in cambodia and have to go in china monday and need direct fly right?

Departure from : Phnom Penh to : Beijing

China Southern Airline ( CZ )

Price (One way) : 302 $ Price (Round Trip) : 559 $

Please Note:Fields with asterisks (*)are required.

Terms and restrictions:

* Ticket changes may incur penalties and/or increased fares.

* Tickets are nontransferable and name changes are not allowed.

* Ticket Non refund nonroute.

* Ticket Including YQ.

Flight Schedule:

Phnom Penh to Beijing by China Southern Airlines (CZ)

Flight No.

Depature Time

Arrival Time

Aircraft Type

Time Table

FM324 0750 1505 73G Daily

Very expensive.

ciao

Tension in Bangkok

Thai authorities, associations swing into action

At the moment, Mr Kongkrit said the priorities were to "heal the wound" by providing assistance to affected tourists. He said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MoTS) had allocated a fund of 20 million baht, providing each affected tourists with a 2,000 baht daily expenses for accommodation and meals.

Travel agents and hotels are to advance the daily expenses to tourists, and to keep the receipts and travelling information of each tourist to back the claim with MoTS through TCT.

-- TTG 2008-11-29

Not too many opportunities for profit there......

Tension in Bangkok

Thai authorities, associations swing into action

At the moment, Mr Kongkrit said the priorities were to "heal the wound" by providing assistance to affected tourists. He said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MoTS) had allocated a fund of 20 million baht, providing each affected tourists with a 2,000 baht daily expenses for accommodation and meals.

Travel agents and hotels are to advance the daily expenses to tourists, and to keep the receipts and travelling information of each tourist to back the claim with MoTS through TCT.

-- TTG 2008-11-29

Not too many opportunities for profit there......

How much of that will go to tourists, greedy sods with their fake reciepts, i'm gonna follow this one and get in contact with a tabloid newspaper right away, they

ll like a story like that at this moment in time. I can see the headlines now poor tourists stranded whilst Thai's up to ministerial level steal their cash whilst tourists stay hungry without a roof over their heads!!!

Remember all the money lost to graft after the tsunami, these people know no shame when it comes to corrupt practises.

Got this story from bangkok post:

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) rejected calls to negotiate. Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang will remain closed until Somchai resigns, said PAD founder and leader Sondhi Limthongkul.

"If we have to die today, I am willing to die. This is a fight for dignity," he said on a broadcast by his own ASTV station.

PAD opponents will rally on Sunday at Sanam Luang.

There was chaos at U-Tapao, a military airbase with almost no civilan flight facilties.

"We were originally told we were booked on a flight but they are reselling people tickets," said Mark Underwood, 23, from Southampton in England. "We have no money. I am annoyed and we want to get home." (with reports by AFP)

Does that surprise anyone?????

Also might I add charging 7000 baht for taxi to bangkok is disgraceful, the drivers should be happy they can run a non stop shuttle service, knowing those lazy sods tho I bet they do 1 7g job per day and spend the rest of the day sleeping or drinking whiskey.

Is everyone charging 7000, my friend is landing in utapao today, i'll send a car from bangkok if they are charging that much........

anyone confirm?

Does anyone know where the bus from Utapao stops in Bangkok? Due to pick somone one up tomorrow, perhaps I should drive to the airport itself but have no idea how to get there and I know that parking facilities are limited. Any knowledgable help would be deeply appreciated.

Most airlines are offering a full refund, if you wish. Air asia is not.

I am booked on "Air Asia" today. The flight is of course cancelled. I asked for a refund. NO. I can have a rebooking when the airport is reopened or a credit to be used within 3 months. Guess that's the forfeit of using cheap airlines.

I heard the TAT (or someone similar is paying out 2,000 Bht a day to stranded tourists. Who has more information and how do yo clam?

btw. Thai airlines are giving hotel accommodation to all their first class and business class passengers, others have to pay their own way.

A bus trip to Chiang Mai cost how much, 600 Baht? And from Chiang Mai you can fly to where ever you like.

Oh yeah, problem solved. Just fly Chiang Mai - Los Angeles, or Chiang Mai - London. Or maybe they don't serve 100,000 passengers there per day?

Same for getting into Thailand. Etihad do not fly to Chiang Mai from Abu Dhabi so I am still stuck here in the cold, freezing weather miles from Thailand and miles from the lady I love, with no other option other than to wait until someone gets their finger out and solves this problem at Swampy airport.

Day after day I phone my beloved only to hear her get more frustrated at the pathetic goings on, yet her frustration is a small matter compared to many who are stranded, those losing business and businesses and others suffering hardships from this ridiculous act at the airport.

Ah well, from a personal point, here's to hoping the problem will be resolved before the 10th when my plane is due in.

Etihad are not bringing passengers into Thailand.

Passenger should have left London Heathrow saturday 29th but flight cancelled. Etihad are re routing anywhere else FOC into Asia.

The guy has been rebooked into Bangkok on January 3rd at present. Etihad are however routing aircraft into U-tapao to pick up passengers only.

Edited by Chivas

Most airlines are offering a full refund, if you wish. Air asia is not.

I am booked on "Air Asia" today. The flight is of course cancelled. I asked for a refund. NO. I can have a rebooking when the airport is reopened or a credit to be used within 3 months. Guess that's the forfeit of using cheap airlines.

I heard the TAT (or someone similar is paying out 2,000 Bht a day to stranded tourists. Who has more information and how do yo clam?

btw. Thai airlines are giving hotel accommodation to all their first class and business class passengers, others have to pay their own way.

nok air said same, that you can rebook up to 90 days. gee you think any airline will go bellyup?

like after 11-Sept-2001

Does anyone know where the bus from Utapao stops in Bangkok? Due to pick somone one up tomorrow, perhaps I should drive to the airport itself but have no idea how to get there and I know that parking facilities are limited. Any knowledgable help would be deeply appreciated.

with the mess around u tapao airport i think it's more easy for you to take a bus at ekamai station ( sukkumvit ) to pattaya

and an other bus from pattaya to u tapao

gee you think any airline will go bellyup? like after 11-Sept-2001

Thai started to admit to losses this year, and these events won't help. IMHO, it is unlikely the military or government would allow TG to fail, since it is a great place to send the annoited ones as a reward for loyal service (free 1st class air travel etc.) Plus it's a great place to send relatives that need a job.

I hope NOK and Bangkok Airways can pull through. They try hard & have decent staff. From what I've heard, both have tried to help stranded PAX. Loss of the 2 airlines would let TG put a stranglehold on air travel.

Stranded tourist to be compensated Bt2,000 per day: foreign minister

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said the government would spend at least Bt1 billion to compensate tourist left stranded because of the besieging the two Bangkok airports.

Sompong was Sunday quoted by Manage Online as saying that each of tourists would receive Bt2 billion a day from the special fund until they could fly home.

Thais, who have been stranded overseas, will receive the same rate of compensations, he said.

He was quoted as saying that he had informed foreign envoys of the compensations.

-- The Nation 2008-11-30

How totally typical of the cheap and passive agressive canadian government

Candians can be so spineless

Uncalled for. Canadians in Thailand are inconvenienced and they have my sympathies. However, they have to take responsibility for their purchase decision. The government has no legal or moral obligation to fetch tourists who made the decision to travel to Thailand. There were travel advisories posted in the past year advising of the political situation. The tourists made the decision to go despite recent airport shutdowns and the warnings made. The risks of travel were well known. If they didn't take the time to read up, that's not the government's fault and if they chose to accept the risks of travel, then they have to live with it.

Technically, no one is stranded as flights are now leaving and the Thai government has not abandoned anyone per se. The daily stipend is alot more than the typical Thai makes in a day. There is food, water and shelter. There are pharmacies and medical facilities available so no one is being denied medication either.

Even if a plane was sent, evacuees would still have to go to U-Tap, HKT or CNX. It would probably be faster to rely on the current air ticket to get out. There is no incentive for the Thai government to hold onto tourists since the government is paying out a daily allowance.

When Canada went to evacuate the thousands of passport holders from Lebanon two years ago, the public realized that it had spent millions of dollars to evacuate many people that were not tax payers or were carrying passports of convenience. As a result, the public support for such operations is zero. Appreciably many decent people are stranded but you can thank the thousands of people that ripped off the Canadian taxpayers 2 years ago for the lack of willingness to respond. As well, with thousands of people being laid off each week, child poverty through the roof and the economy teetering on recession, do you think any of the taxpayers in Canada would want to fund this?

Stranded tourist to be compensated Bt2,000 per day: foreign minister

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said the government would spend at least Bt1 billion to compensate tourist left stranded because of the besieging the two Bangkok airports.

Sompong was Sunday quoted by Manage Online as saying that each of tourists would receive Bt2 billion a day from the special fund until they could fly home.

Thais, who have been stranded overseas, will receive the same rate of compensations, he said.

He was quoted as saying that he had informed foreign envoys of the compensations.

-- The Nation 2008-11-30

OK As from now I am one of those stranded. I just tried to find out about any compensation. It works this way:-

Conditions of Accommodation

Tourists cannot reimburse the accommodation and meals for cash.

Tourists can stay in the accommodation under the condition that their costs do not exceed 2,000 Baht per day. For any excess, tourists must be responsible and pay themselves.

Tourists can only change the place of accommodation that has been arranged by THA and ATTA.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/news/content-1380.html

Because I was staying private, looks like I get nothing.

Today I read somewhere that a dutch person and some germans got a rebooking for their flight (due yesterday). They will be flown out 09.01.09 YES 9th January 2009. Not sure I can believe that.

Wether it is 30000, 100000 or more it must be the opportunity of a lifetime for those lucky folk who have had the benefit of not having to go home and thus have further delights from Thai hospitality. They can also thank their lucky stars that they have made a positive contribution to reducing green house gasses by those planes not flying. It is possibly a debt of gratitude that they will be unable to repay for the rest of their lifetimes.

Typical inane brainless comment.

I hope you get stranded somewhere and have to spend days in an airport.

In 257 posts thus far, espirit has yet to demonstrate any wit or intellect.

You shouldn't anticipate any change in the near future.

Yes, quite how postponing flying has an environmental benefit puzzles me. Does he expect these people to stay here for ever? And how did he arrive? On foot?

And Esprit, your avatar is offensive, not least in that it shows Prince Charles wearing headgear only possible after the death of Her Majesty. Might I suggest you and others here imagine changing his picture for one of, let's say, an Asian monarch, and see how far you would get.

DISCLAIMER - This post is a bit tongue in cheek............but only a bit.

100,000 foreigners trapped in Thailand. It must be true because the BBC says so. How many PAD in Suvarnabhumi? Nothing like 100,000. The numbers are on our side. Why don't we get organised and go to throw them out ourselves?

Planes to bring Spaniards home from Thailand

The Associated Press

Published: November 30, 2008

MADRID, Spain: The Foreign Ministry says Spain is to send planes to repatriate more than 500 Spaniards stranded in Thailand due to the closure of Bangkok's airports.

The statement says Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero coordinated the operation with the foreign and defense ministries.

Two air force aircraft and one plane belonging to airline Iberworld are to fly to Thailand "as soon as possible," the statement released early Sunday says. It does not specify where they will land.

State broadcaster TVE cites Spain's ambassador in Thailand, Juan Manuel Lopez Nadal, as saying the evacuation could begin Monday.

Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport has been overrun by political demonstrators since Tuesday.

AP

Chaos reigns at Thailand's tourist airlift

3 hours ago

U-TAPAO, Thailand (AFP) — Not even the dancing girls provided by a local hotel could cheer thousands of travellers as they tried to flee protest-hit Thailand through this Vietnam-era airbase.

"This is my first time in Thailand and I probably won't come back," said Glen Squires, a 47-year-old tourist from England, casting a glum eye over the crowds.

"What they've done is shot themselves in the foot."

Since Friday, the U-Tapao naval base 190 kilometres (118 miles) southeast of Bangkok has been the only way in or out of the country for tourists stranded by an anti-government blockade of the capital's main airports.

Travellers who arrived here found crowds of tired and angry passengers, armed guards, piles of garbage, mountains of luggage -- and an increasingly tense and surreal atmosphere.

Built in the 1960s by the US air force and equipped with just one X-ray scanner for bags, the airbase can only handle around 40 flights a day, compared to the 700-flight capacity of Bangkok's gleaming Suvarnabhumi international airport.

But thanks to the demonstrations, it's all that Thailand has to offer.

"I think it's stupid," said Danny Mosaffi, 57, from New York City. "They have killed tourism in this country, the authorities should go do something. Nobody is going to come here."

Thai authorities say more than 100,000 travellers -- both Thai and foreign -- have had flights cancelled since the occupation of Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday in what the protesters are calling their "final battle" against the government.

Some travel agents bussed passengers down to U-Tapao, which is near the tourist resort of Pattaya, but with information proving difficult to come by in Bangkok, others came on their own more in hope than expectation.

Huge traffic jams built up outside the sprawling compound. Thai soldiers with M16 rifles guarded the entrance to the airport to prevent anti-government protesters from gaining access, as travellers lugged their bags under the sun.

Once inside the terminal, it was standing room only. Travellers were unsure where they should check in. Long queues wound around the lone luggage scanner, where soldiers tried to hold back the surging crowd.

"It's complete chaos and pandemonium," said Bonnie Chan, 29, from San Diego, California.

"We've been given incorrect information from the airlines. The US embassy says they can't help us. We're high and dry. The airlines keep giving us the run-around."

With no departures board available, airline employees held up signs that said "Final boarding call, Moscow," while other staff stood inside the security area and pressed signs against a glass window calling for passengers to board a flight to Hong Kong.

At one point, a group of unruly passengers pushed their way through a door to the security screening area after an airport employee announced the final boarding call for a flight to Taipei.

One woman, caught in the surge, began to scream, and the soldiers forced the doors shut.

"We've treated six patients today," said Nan Soontornnon, 24, of Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya, standing with a doctor and nurse in a makeshift clinic.

"Passengers have had headaches, exhaustion, and other problems, like fainting. But this place has protection from the soldiers -- Suvarnabhumi doesn't," she said.

U-Tapao's only other selling point was when female employees from one enterprising Pattaya hotel, taking advantage of the captive audience, put on a traditional Thai dance performance.

The women later donned red and silver dresses with feather boas, singing: "You'll fall in love in Pattaya. There's no better place to be."

The situation has caused international concerns.

Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said Sunday that the situation was "frustrating", adding that some stranded Australians were "becoming increasingly distressed and we understand that."

But not everyone was unhappy.

Three Russian men started dancing and hugging each other outside the terminal building. Two were shirtless and one had no trousers, while all appeared to be intoxicated.

"Everything is okay," said one of the men, who refused to give his name as he collected donations in a straw hat. "Except nothing to drink. No sex. No food. No money," he smiled.

Hosted by Copyright © 2008 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

DISCLAIMER - This post is a bit tongue in cheek............but only a bit.

100,000 foreigners trapped in Thailand. It must be true because the BBC says so. How many PAD in Suvarnabhumi? Nothing like 100,000. The numbers are on our side. Why don't we get organised and go to throw them out ourselves?

I suggested that days ago.

Chaos reigns at Thailand's tourist airlift

3 hours ago

U-TAPAO, Thailand (AFP) — Not even the dancing girls provided by a local hotel could cheer thousands of travellers as they tried to flee protest-hit Thailand through this Vietnam-era airbase.

"This is my first time in Thailand and I probably won't come back," said Glen Squires, a 47-year-old tourist from England, casting a glum eye over the crowds.

"What they've done is shot themselves in the foot."

Since Friday, the U-Tapao naval base 190 kilometres (118 miles) southeast of Bangkok has been the only way in or out of the country for tourists stranded by an anti-government blockade of the capital's main airports.

Travellers who arrived here found crowds of tired and angry passengers, armed guards, piles of garbage, mountains of luggage -- and an increasingly tense and surreal atmosphere.

Built in the 1960s by the US air force and equipped with just one X-ray scanner for bags, the airbase can only handle around 40 flights a day, compared to the 700-flight capacity of Bangkok's gleaming Suvarnabhumi international airport.

But thanks to the demonstrations, it's all that Thailand has to offer.

"I think it's stupid," said Danny Mosaffi, 57, from New York City. "They have killed tourism in this country, the authorities should go do something. Nobody is going to come here."

Thai authorities say more than 100,000 travellers -- both Thai and foreign -- have had flights cancelled since the occupation of Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday in what the protesters are calling their "final battle" against the government.

Some travel agents bussed passengers down to U-Tapao, which is near the tourist resort of Pattaya, but with information proving difficult to come by in Bangkok, others came on their own more in hope than expectation.

Huge traffic jams built up outside the sprawling compound. Thai soldiers with M16 rifles guarded the entrance to the airport to prevent anti-government protesters from gaining access, as travellers lugged their bags under the sun.

Once inside the terminal, it was standing room only. Travellers were unsure where they should check in. Long queues wound around the lone luggage scanner, where soldiers tried to hold back the surging crowd.

"It's complete chaos and pandemonium," said Bonnie Chan, 29, from San Diego, California.

"We've been given incorrect information from the airlines. The US embassy says they can't help us. We're high and dry. The airlines keep giving us the run-around."

With no departures board available, airline employees held up signs that said "Final boarding call, Moscow," while other staff stood inside the security area and pressed signs against a glass window calling for passengers to board a flight to Hong Kong.

At one point, a group of unruly passengers pushed their way through a door to the security screening area after an airport employee announced the final boarding call for a flight to Taipei.

One woman, caught in the surge, began to scream, and the soldiers forced the doors shut.

"We've treated six patients today," said Nan Soontornnon, 24, of Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya, standing with a doctor and nurse in a makeshift clinic.

"Passengers have had headaches, exhaustion, and other problems, like fainting. But this place has protection from the soldiers -- Suvarnabhumi doesn't," she said.

U-Tapao's only other selling point was when female employees from one enterprising Pattaya hotel, taking advantage of the captive audience, put on a traditional Thai dance performance.

The women later donned red and silver dresses with feather boas, singing: "You'll fall in love in Pattaya. There's no better place to be."

The situation has caused international concerns.

Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said Sunday that the situation was "frustrating", adding that some stranded Australians were "becoming increasingly distressed and we understand that."

But not everyone was unhappy.

Three Russian men started dancing and hugging each other outside the terminal building. Two were shirtless and one had no trousers, while all appeared to be intoxicated.

"Everything is okay," said one of the men, who refused to give his name as he collected donations in a straw hat. "Except nothing to drink. No sex. No food. No money," he smiled.

Hosted by Copyright © 2008 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

LOL.... Priceless !

I believe buses are coming and going from the Raddison Hotel in Bangkok. Check first though.