Building a weekend home, how much?

Vorranuch

Hi,

I am considering buying a small plot on the coast near Ranong and building a weekend home there.

What do you think would be the budget for a house with 3/4 bebrooms, mostly wood ? It would be a weekend home so nothing too fancy but a little better than the typical farmers house.

I was thinking of a 500,000-600,000 bhts range ?

Thanks

500,000 is more than enough to build a weekend home.

And land in Ranong can be bought for as little as 30,000 a Rai.

Let me know if your serious about doing it, I know some good quality builders who work south of Ranong (near the airport).

I have land in this area myself.

James

We normally figure on 15,000 baht per square meter for a fully built out residential home in Thailand.  A weekend home can be less than half that, depending on the degree of finishing.

30,000 per rai is really cheap.  What kind of land do you get for that?

Farm land, generally flat, needs tidying, non prominent position, with a NorSor3 title. You can make a Chanote with a bit of work. There's land available if you keep your ear to the ground and can come up with the cash when people need it.

Land is not expensive in the sticks, it's probably the same up north (is it?)

If you want some, let me know.

James

Yes farmers land is that cheap. In central Thailand and Isaarn you can even go below 10,000/rai.

Good thing in Ranong is you are not far from the sea and an airport with frequent flights to Bangkok. And you can easily go for a week-end to Phuket or Samui if you miss the crowds.

Careful about buying farming land for building on especially in the flood plains. It can cost a lot of money to raise your land above the flood line - doubly so for a western house (rather than a wooden stilted one) that has a requirement for solid dry foundations too.