Multiple Passports 30 Day Stamps And Visa Question

Hello Everyone,

I have both a Canadian and America passports. I entered Thailand on Nov 11, 2008 with the 30 day stamp which expires on Dec 11, 2008. Can I get 2 more 30 stamps with my Canadian passport then leave and come back into Thailand and get x3 30 stamps in my America passport. Can I do this over and over? This involves many visa runs. Is there a rule against using more then one passport with the 30 stamp? I don't want to visit a Thai jail. Thanks! :o

I am in Chiang Mai right now how and where can I get a tourist visa. I should have gotten this before leaving but I didn't understand what a tourist visa was at that point. It's not the clearest subject around. Especially if your new to it.

1. Is there some place close that I can get a tourist visa? Possibly Thai Embassy in Valentine Laos????

2. What do I need? ie. Photo's, forms, and cost

3. Is it a visa that is good for 2 months with 1 extension for a total of 3 months?

4. Can you get one repetitively or is there a timeline in between this visa?

What is a double entry visa?

1. What is it and how does it work?

2. Where can you get one? I am in the north so going to the Thia Embassy in Valentine Laos would be a days or so away

3. What is needed? ie. Forms, photos, and cost

4. What if you don't use all 6 months? How do you lose? ie money, can you get another one

5. Can you get a double entry visa over and over? Should this be saved and used when you know for sure that you are going to be in Thailand for 6 months. Can you get this several times? Could I alter Canadian and America passport when getting this.

What I am looking for is the simplest method with my 2 passports. Are they to my advantage?

I would like to avoid running to the border every 30 days. Single entry visa ????

Could I stay a year by getting double entry visa for 6 months then use my 2 passports for 6 more months?

Right now, I would like to stay in Thailand for 3 or 4 months then travel to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and back to Thailand with a 6 month or year stay. I want to do this avoiding the monsoon season. How does that play into this too. Different forum. I am new so I am learning.

What do other people do and what is the best method to do this?

Thanks for all your help!

You are allowed a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period on visa exempt entries, the fact that you have 2 passports doesn't mean that you are allowed to 90 days on each passport. They might not notice, but it would be illegal.

You can get a tourist visa from Vientane in Laos, even a dubble entry. Each entry is good for 60 days and can be extended in Thailand for 1,900 baht by another 30 days. After 60 days (or 90 if extended) you have to leave the country and come back right away to make use of your second entry. After that you can apply for a new tourist visa, again and again.

I would think the 2 passport/alternating 30-day stamps approach *might* fall within the letter of the law...it probably is not within the spirit of the law.

It would be interesting to see that particular part of the Immigration code that prohibits the 2 passport scenario, if indeed it is codified...but I am not going to search for it, as the situation does not apply to me and I hate reading legalese.

I would not be prepared to classify this approach as illegal, unless I could offer solid evidence.

I would think the 2 passport/alternating 30-day stamps approach *might* fall within the letter of the law...it probably is not within the spirit of the law.

It would be interesting to see that particular part of the Immigration code that prohibits the 2 passport scenario, if indeed it is codified...but I am not going to search for it, as the situation does not apply to me and I hate reading legalese.

I would not be prepared to classify this approach as illegal, unless I could offer solid evidence.

The visa exempt entry is tied to the person (passport holder) and his nationality, not to his passport. The passport may be different, but the passport holder would be the same person.

The visa exempt entry is tied to the person (passport holder) and his nationality, not to his passport. The passport may be different, but the passport holder would be the same person.

Fair enough, I agree that is the spirit of the law....but is this codified somewhere? Can you post the text of the pertinent regulation?

I would think as a practical matter this would be difficult to police.

If it is as you stated, it is tied to the passport holder + his nationality. So in the OP's case we have dmcrory, American citizen and dmcrory, Canadian citizen. Using your explanation above, we are dealing with two different entities.

If you are referring to having two passports from the same country, then we are closer to being in agreement. But even then, we are dealing with two different passport numbers...we are back to that practical matter of policing it.

Edited by mgjackson69

Fair enough, I agree that is the spirit of the law....but is this codified somewhere? Can you post the text of the pertinent regulation?

See here:

www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp608EN.pdf

If you want to find out how this is implemented for a dual passport holder, the only way is to try it.

--

Maestro

Nice point mgjackson69, but there are no 2 different persons dmcory, just one with 2 different nationalities.

The consequence of your reasoning would be that if someone has 2 nationalities and enters on nationalty A, commits a crime and is declared persona non grata he can still return to Thailand under his nationality B, as that is a different entity than the person who was declared persone non grata.

How immigration would be able to find out is a whole different matter. They could do a search on name and bith date and check the photo's. It depends on how the immigration database is set up.

Do note that I meant by illegal against the rule, not a criminal offense. It would in my opinion constitute an overstay, nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...

In practice, if traveling overland at least, it appears unlikely (at the very least semi-nightmarish) that you can come into Thailand with a different passport than the one you used to get into the neighbor country. Thai immigration looks for the neighbor country exit stamp as you enter. And....it blows circuit breakers in their minds,... if you hand them a passport without that exit stamp. I spent a very long night between Lao and Thai , at Nong Kai, finding this out. There was no issue of extra-legal for them, they didn't care about two passports, it was simply a matter of the stamp. Crime or wrongdoing was never mentioned and I was told I was not committing a crime. While it should be ok to enter a country on any passport you have, and it probably is in Thai, because it's reported on this site that you can if flying in, the local office and the people in it appear to trump whatever is legal. I was finally stamped into Thai on a different passport than the one i used to enter Lao, (the different passport had been to the Thai embassy in ventiane and they had given me a tourist stamp in the different, never been stamped by anyone passport). But the stamping in was after a long long night of me being on my best Canadian behavior (if you will)! And being sternly told never to use anything but the different(Canadian) passport again. Yes sir yes sir thankyou sir !!!!

The only reason I was using a different passport was because the first one was full with all the huge stamps and such being put into it... :D Well I have forty new pages for immigration to start filling up.....diii maak!!

As an aside, I used to travel in south america a lot and never had any trouble changing passports overland there (experience only in Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Bolivia and Argentina).

But Thai is Thai and so there you go, ....no matter where you are, ....there you are. :o Maybe best to stick with one passport here, if you can.