So How Disfunctional Is Thailand?

So as we have all seen over the past week, Thailand is once again showing off how disfunctional it is to the rest of the world. There is NO democracy here, and one wonders if this country will descend into Anarchy. Who is running the country ? The PAD ?

Does anyone know what they are doing.... because I am sure no one really knows what will happen next. Bring Back Thaksin, this counrty was far better off with him at the helm, there was more international respect and financia investment was more robust..

Any thoughts ??????

....and you think KEVIN 07 is doing a great job running the land of Oz.....it probably won't be that long before Australia shuts all its airports because poor ole kev has run outa $$$$$. Perhaps he could just bump taxes up a little more....they only use to take 48.5% of my money plus GST on anything I bought, plus stamp duty, plus fire levy, plus plus plus....OR perhaps you could slide over to the states for a bit of stupidity there, they have bucket loads of STUPID stuff going on!!!

Its horses for courses really. :o

....and you think KEVIN 07 is doing a great job running the land of Oz.....it probably won't be that long before Australia shuts all its airports because poor ole kev has run outa $$$$$. Perhaps he could just bump taxes up a little more....they only use to take 48.5% of my money plus GST on anything I bought, plus stamp duty, plus fire levy, plus plus plus....OR perhaps you could slide over to the states for a bit of stupidity there, they have bucket loads of STUPID stuff going on!!!

Not looking for comparisons, I havent lived in Oz for 10 years...........

the only comparison we should make is how long would have the PAD lasted trying to take over parliament house in Oz or The White House in the USA ???

The point I was trying to make is it is a DISFUNCTIONAL world.....I don't think the thais are the only ones that have disfunctional politics. Had your profile indicated you originated from another country, other than Aust, it probably would of been just as easy to point out they're politicians are a pack of basket cases as well.

The point I was trying to make is it is a DISFUNCTIONAL world.....I don't think the thais are the only ones that have disfunctional politics. Had your profile indicated you originated from another country, other than Aust, it probably would of been just as easy to point out they're politicians are a pack of basket cases as well.

interesting point and agreed!

Its how you resolve your problems thats important, I dont think ultimatums work in any case. It "appears" that we have a democracy here in Thailand, but it is a concern when you se the recent events unfold and the impact it can have on other countries. We could have tinkered in anarchy, if it werent for the kings birthday... thank buddha for the king !!

agreed that yes other countries have their issues, however the recent events would have not played out the same way in any first world country. The PAD would have had bulllets in their heads !

Yes I can imagine how things would of gone if they imported some Police for example that featured in the Rodney King flogging or perhaps Sydney's Detective Sgt Roger Rogerson could of arranged a couple of hits....but yes i agree things would of been handled a little differently :o

So as we have all seen over the past week, Thailand is once again showing off how disfunctional it is to the rest of the world. There is NO democracy here, and one wonders if this country will descend into Anarchy. Who is running the country ? The PAD ?

Does anyone know what they are doing.... because I am sure no one really knows what will happen next. Bring Back Thaksin, this counrty was far better off with him at the helm, there was more international respect and financia investment was more robust..

Any thoughts ??????

well they got rid of the pm that they were not happy with and it was the courts that decided that and you say thailand is disfunctional i don't think so. And you want to bring back thaksin he stole money from Thailand and bought a football club if you have nothing proper to say shut up........

its been very bad

but this same thing in any other country

would have ended

with lot of lost lifes...

so it does have one plus point.........

In a country with a functioning government, it would have never happened in the first place. But I agree that so far the small number of casualties is notable, However, given as the root causes of the conflict are only getting worse and festering. I wouldn't bet the house Thailand will always be this lucky.

No more dysfunctional than australia, the us or anywhere else for the matter.

I totally disagree on the US. I can't speak for Australia. All you have to do is look at the election of 2000 where a huge number of people passionately felt the election was stolen by the courts. It was accepted. There was no violence. The people realized they would wait for new elections to right the wrongs.

We'll see after we get a new PM.

As some posters have mentioned that a lot of things are being worked out behind the scene.

So there is a small ray of hope that things will gradually return to "normal".

That is my take on the current situation and hope I am right :o

We'll see after we get a new PM.

As some posters have mentioned that a lot of things are being worked out behind the scene.

So there is a small ray of hope that things will gradually return to "normal".

That is my take on the current situation and hope I am right :o

Sound like yummy Kool Aid you are drinking!

Any thoughts ??????

well they got rid of the pm that they were not happy with and it was the courts that decided that and you say thailand is disfunctional i don't think so. And you want to bring back thaksin he stole money from Thailand and bought a football club if you have nothing proper to say shut up........

nothing proper.... what you have the only opinion here ,, sorry dude I dont agree yr wrong again! this country has only descended into almost a state of complete anarchy..... Internationally this country was far better off with Thaksin, are you saying it is better now ????? please show me how????

Well I can speak for Australia, and the government is one of the main reasons we will never live there again.

Sounds like you might be complaining about taxes or red tape or such. That is not the same issue as being a failed state.

Mate if you want to talk about 'failed states' check out the political news surrounding the NSW Government(Australia) and you might just get a shock. FAILED STATE = NSW AUSTRALIA.

Beautiful country, politics sending it broke...taxes out of control, i could go on but it sends chills up my spine

Well I can speak for Australia, and the government is one of the main reasons we will never live there again.

Sounds like you might be complaining about taxes or red tape or such. That is not the same issue as being a failed state.

BINGO ! my thoughts exactly, lets not compares taxes to a state of anarchy.. well almost!!

you must be a comedian..... Australia isnt disfunctional.... just has high taxes.. if you want a quality of life in a country like australia with only 20 Million people, then someone has to pay....

I totally disagree on the US. I can't speak for Australia. All you have to do is look at the election of 2000 where a huge number of people passionately felt the election was stolen by the courts. It was accepted. There was no violence. The people realized they would wait for new elections to right the wrongs.

I agree with you Jingthing 1st. how can a country with 600 million people and 6000 airports be compared to one with 60m P and a handful of airports. 2nd. The fact is if the US has one thing going for it, it is order, the rules are clear and consiquences are swift, the PDA stunt would be near impossible in the states. 3. Having said this if an airport or government office was taken over by a mob; 99% of the average joes on the street would have a pretty good idea of what would happen whereas in TLS it seems to be anyones guess

Taxes or bureaucracy are the least of things that I dislike or have issue with in Australia. People go on about how corrupt the government, police, etc are in Thailand are, but the problem with corruption in australia is just as bad, just not as transparent as it is here.

We definitely prefer living in Thailand over Australia - and soon we'll find out if Spain is as bad as some people complain about :o

Mate if you want to talk about 'failed states' check out the political news surrounding the NSW Government(Australia) and you might just get a shock. FAILED STATE = NSW AUSTRALIA.

Beautiful country, politics sending it broke...taxes out of control, i could go on but it sends chills up my spine

wow one sounds bitter and twisted........i agree, thailand is more disfunctional, and a failed state than NSW, but I live here in Thailand for other reasons.....

LOL and did I forget to mention how quickly it's becoming a POLICE STATE.

Not that I give wikipedia any credibility, but I'm not the only one that sees things the way I do :o

250px-Policestate.jpg

you must be a comedian..... Australia isnt disfunctional.... just has high taxes.. if you want a quality of life in a country like australia with only 20 Million people, then someone has to pay....

I agree with you Jingthing 1st. how can a country with 600 million people and 6000 airports be compared to one with 60m P and a handful of airports. 2nd. The fact is if the US has one thing going for it, it is order, the rules are clear and consiquences are swift, the PDA stunt would be near impossible in the states. 3. Having said this if an airport or government office was taken over by a mob; 99% of the average joes on the street would have a pretty good idea of what would happen whereas in TLS it seems to be anyones guess

I was unaware that the USA had 600 million people......6,000 airports, you'd have to be joking.

As for Australia being disfunctional....If you drive around with ur head in ur backside & just bob along like a good little brainwashed child, you may be tricked into thinking everything is OK in the land down under. If you did a little deeper, start dealing with the ATO, Courts, Govt Departments, Councils, all the do gooder institutions, red tape, did i mention the ATO, Immigration, Police, Politicians and so forth, you will soon realise how disfunctional the place really is. Did I mention the do gooders, minority groups, courts, health care, educations departments, state of indigenous affairs, corruption,, CIVIL LIBERTERIAN....CRIKEY the more I think about it the more I LOVE THAILAND !!!

Edited by neverdie

WELL SAID I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

I was unaware that the USA had 600 million people......6,000 airports, you'd have to be joking.

As for Australia being disfunctional....If you drive around with ur head in ur backside & just bob along like a good little brainwashed child, you may be tricked into thinking everything is OK in the land down under. If you did a little deeper, start dealing with the ATO, Courts, Govt Departments, Councils, all the do gooder institutions, red tape, did i mention the ATO, Immigration, Police, Politicians and so forth, you will soon realise how disfunctional the place really is. Did I mention the do gooders, minority groups, courts, health care, educations departments, state of indigenous affairs....CRIKEY the more I think about it the more I LOVE THAILAND !!!

Neverdie, some people will refuse to believe that Australia is less than perfect.

:o

wow one sounds bitter and twisted........i agree, thailand is more disfunctional, and a failed state than NSW, but I live here in Thailand for other reasons.....

Sounds like you are a little unsure....now ur saying thailand is "More Disfunctional" than Australia.....seems you're not disagreeing with the fact that Australia is disfunctional, just the level to which it is.....as for me being a little bitter and twisted about certain things...too right I am, but I have been exposed to certain things at the hands of the Australian Govt & if someone there ever gets fair dinkum about dealing with the elite at the right levels....many many everyday Australians may get a little SHOCK :o .