Stranded Tourists Killed & Hurt In Road Accidents

JoeThePoster

David Yick Hok-wing, 49, a British national, was killed in a van accident in Surat Thani. His wife, Arisnan Yick, also known as Fung Man-wai, who was injured in the accident, accompanied the body. The body of Robert Bowman, a 60-year-old Canadian, also killed in the accident, is being kept at Surat Thani hospital.

Anne Booth, a 58-year-old Briton, who suffered broken ribs, was airlifted to Phuket Bangkok hospital in Phuket.

The body of Swedish tourist, Eva Catharina Meille, 33, who died in a Chumphon hospital after a (separate) car accident is expected to be sent home soon.

more here :o

Edited by JoeThePoster

Why is the fact that these people were "stranded" important to the story?

Yet more sensationalization.

Because if the airports had not been closed down then these people would most likely all be back home telling their family and friends about their vacation in Thailand instead of dead or injured, rather obvious to most people but on Thai Visa...

This does not surprise me. I wonder that there aren't more serious accidents as a result of the airport problem.

I live close to Uta Pao airport where bus loads of tourists are have been brought in daily. I actually made a trip to the airport the other day to book a flight. Whilst doing this and driving around the area I have seen dozens and dozens of these buses driving to the airport, often in convoy. The driving is nothing short of hair raising! The buses are been driven by lunatics. I know it is standard in Thailand for huge buses to be driven by mad men, but this seems worse, as an accident would be more tragic than usual I think. I can only imagine what the tourist feel as the bus overtakes a row of other vehicles on a blind bend. Incredible!