30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do Malaysians get 30 days but Laos or any other ASEAN members are not mentioned? My wife is Laos she travels with my half Lao son backward and forward from Thailand to Laos regularly. I am a legitimate teacher working in Thailand and we live here together. To go backwards and forwards every 15 days would be the final straw (or be compelled to get a tourist visa).

If this new rule applies to members of ASEAN countries except Malaysians then it is complete BS! Can someone please clarify?

No. If your wife is a Laotian then she's considered to be an ASEAN citizen and should get between 30-90 days of stay without VISA. This rule applies only to a foreigner without an ASEAN citizenship.

Why do Malaysians get 30 days but Laos or any other ASEAN members are not mentioned? My wife is Laos she travels with my half Lao son backward and forward from Thailand to Laos regularly. I am a legitimate teacher working in Thailand and we live here together. To go backwards and forwards every 15 days would be the final straw (or be compelled to get a tourist visa).

If this new rule applies to members of ASEAN countries except Malaysians then it is complete BS! Can someone please clarify?

No. If your wife is a Laotian then she's considered to be an ASEAN citizen and should get between 30-90 days of stay without VISA. This rule applies only to a foreigner without an ASEAN citizenship.

Lao citizens still get thiry days because they are on a bilateral agreement. Malaysia was mentioned in the rule because they are on the visa exempt entry list.

See this chart from the MFA website that lists of all the different catatgories of entry and countries.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

First, sorry for my english because i am french

I made a 60 days visa for Thailand in the consulat in Monaco (simple entry, no double)

I made the visa extension frm of 30 days @ suan plu

Now my visa finish 25th January so I will go to a border for a Visa Run

I read in the first page of the topic that i could have a 30 days extension because i had a Visa from a consulat already. Is it correct ?

Thanks for your answer

First, sorry for my english because i am french

I made a 60 days visa for Thailand in the consulat in Monaco (simple entry, no double)

I made the visa extension frm of 30 days @ suan plu

Now my visa finish 25th January so I will go to a border for a Visa Run

I read in the first page of the topic that i could have a 30 days extension because i had a Visa from a consulat already. Is it correct ?

Thanks for your answer

NO, you will get , at any landborder 15days only ,as you have no visa anymore.

If you decide to fly in you will be given 30days.

hello,

yesterday at Mai Sai crossing my friend asked how many times you are allowed the 15 day stamp - they were told 3 times.I appreciate the 15 days has not been in place very long but does anyone know yet if this is being/will be a policy pursued at this crossing or any others.

Just did a border run. <deleted> do russian nationals still get thirty days? What a load of shoit

With some countries Thailand has an agreement to give each others nationals a permission to stay of 30 days without the need for a visa. Nationals of countries where Thailand has such a bilateral agreement with, such as Russia, get 30 day regardless if they arriva via land or air. (They were also exempt from the 90 day rule).

Just did a border run. <deleted> do russian nationals still get thirty days? What a load of shoit

With some countries Thailand has an agreement to give each others nationals a permission to stay of 30 days without the need for a visa. Nationals of countries where Thailand has such a bilateral agreement with, such as Russia, get 30 day regardless if they arriva via land or air. (They were also exempt from the 90 day rule).

Correct - Russia allows Thais to visit visa exempt for 30 days. The Thai language document below gives more inforrmation on countries that allow Thais visa exempt entry. Russia is listed in the grey right hand column (ordinary pasports), item 16.

http://www.consular.go.th/visa/For_Thai_passport_holders.pdf

Fair's fair :o - Thailand does reciprocate ...

Edited by dbrenn

In the immediate region: Burma=pay, Laos=pay, Cambodia=pay, Malaysia perhaps not

but it's been years since I've been that far South. Just trying to make a rough point.

Well, I've traveled that far south and can verify that Malaysia does not require a paid visa, nor does Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan or Korea.

Great idea in principal. If you want to work in Thailand, get the correct visa, work permit and pay your taxes.

Finally, immigration is clamping down. I hope they stick to their guns.

:o

I think that getting a work permit and paying taxes..... is another discussion... this is really about people livinhg in Thailand on an extended stay without the right visa......

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I miss the point.

Is it correct that Russians will get 30 days border stamp even if they enter overland?

How about Israel?

Thanks

Yes for Russians they are on a bilateral agreement. Rule is only only for countries on visa exemption..

See this chart for a list of countries: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it's a great loss for Thailand - big spenders generally don't do visa runs but get proper long term multiple-reentry tourist or non-o visas in their home countries.

This is an in credibly stupid move All it does is hurt the legitimate people, while costing the "bad" ones a little more money.

In my case, I go to Thailand because it is easy. No advance planning needed. I know I can grab a flight from the USA, fly there, get my visa on arrival and have fun. I don't need to spend any time or money getting a visa in advance and mailing my Passport around the USA or traveling to some Thai embassy. I don't have free days to run errands and then go back and pick things up. The visa on arrival was a great attraction to me when choosing to vacation in Thailand.

I am a contract engineer. I never know when my jobs start or end. Most of my trips to Thailand were on two day notice. I get the call that my job ends, and the next day I book a flight and start my vacation. Then, when I am over in Thailand, sometimes the jobs don't start up for a while, so I like to extend my stay, and the simple two drives over to the Cambodia border were a great way to do that. Now, I get 1/2 what I used to get.

A half day van trip that costs 2000 Baht from Pattaya, now would require a lot of time and effort to get to an airport and fly out of the country and back. Lost time and money.

This is just nuts. Seems like a perfect example of Thailand trying to make money from their service industry while hurting the tourists and people that go out of their way to go to Thailand! I don't see how this endears Thailand to me any more. Gets worse every year.

• 2 weeks later...

An immigration official in Sanglaburi just told my wife that crossing the border in Cambodia would give her the 30 days she needs to transfer her visa to a non-b. Is this correct or do the Sanglaburi immi officers not get out much? Maybe they haven't checked their email or read the updates...

It's possible a immigration office/officer would not know about it.

Unless your wife is from a country that still gets 30 day entries.

She's American...

It's 15 days for her.

As I said not all immigration offices would be that up to date on border entries. At times they are not up to date on extension rules.

This implies,

RIFRAFFS.... get out.. you are freeloaders, cheap, and want to take advantage of their system..

Get a real job, the right visa for long stay, or go back home... simple..

Or maybe you cannot go back home, tax problems, IRS, legal, divorce... and trying to find an easy out in Thailand

NO MORE... HURRAY

:o

Fobuff

• 2 weeks later...

The goverment want tourist to Thailand but don´t play with us like babydoll if I am in Kambodja and want to go to Thailand than I can only stay 15 days in Thailand on touristvisa,very bad.

Malaysia and Kambodja they have a better policy against tourist.There you can buy land in your own name. But not in Thailand. I think yhe Thai goverment don´t want to have tourist .

The goverment want tourist to Thailand but don´t play with us like babydoll if I am in Kambodja and want to go to Thailand than I can only stay 15 days in Thailand on touristvisa,very bad.

Malaysia and Kambodja they have a better policy against tourist.There you can buy land in your own name. But not in Thailand. I think yhe Thai goverment don´t want to have tourist .

A tourist entering for 15 days at a land border is entering on a "visa exempt" basis, not a visa entry. If a tourist wants to stay more than 15 days, they can apply for a "Tourist Visa" and with that, most can stay for 60 days, with a possible 30 day extension. In Vientienne you can get a two entry visa, for now, it has been reported for free. I don't see a problem.

Edited by beechguy

Hello,

I miss the point.

Is it correct that Russians will get 30 days border stamp even if they enter overland?

How about Israel?

Thanks

Yes for Russians they are on a bilateral agreement. Rule is only only for countries on visa exemption..

See this chart for a list of countries: http://www.mfa.go.th/internet/document/ChartVisa.pdf

I looked at the chart. It's unacknowledged - in other words, no person or organization's name is on it.

It's also confusing and unclear - yet appears to show that Thailand has special bilateral agreements with Brazil, Korea and Peru - that allow those passport holders 90 day stays at border crossings.

I looked at the chart. It's unacknowledged - in other words, no person or organization's name is on it.

It's also confusing and unclear - yet appears to show that Thailand has special bilateral agreements with Brazil, Korea and Peru - that allow those passport holders 90 day stays at border crossings.

The chart is from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

• 11 months later...

that is not right. I dont need visa to enter thailand and will geta n automatic 30 days stay as long as i arrive at the airport.

i live by the border aran-poipet and crossing the border everyday.

and i still get 15 days since the rules applied. I am sure the russian who gets 30days permit must have some documents to shot w the immigration officers so that they could get 30 instead of 15

I am very close to all the pfficer since i mett them everyday and twice a day.