30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of you guys are making silly, smart aleck comments.

Here's my situation, I have a 3 entry 60 day visa. I wanted to extend that with 3 each 30 day visas. I'm not riff-raff. I am 70 years old and I pay all my own bills, thank you very much.

My plane ticket cost me $1135 U.S dollars. But someone has just added about $450 "tax" to it to take the price to over $1600. I want to stay as long as I can to make it worth the price of the ticket.

You have to get the multiple entry tourist visa from you own country so I have to fly back and forth. If it was legal to go to Laos I would do that in a minute and save about $1400!!!!!

I don't understand this learn Thai language thing. I have taken a local class and am in the process of teaching myself to read and write. Are you saying that if I take a class with certain schools, probably not available in Chiang Rai, that I can stay for a full year or years??

Some of you guys are making silly, smart aleck comments.

Here's my situation, I have a 3 entry 60 day visa. I wanted to extend that with 3 each 30 day visas. I'm not riff-raff. I am 70 years old and I pay all my own bills, thank you very much.

My plane ticket cost me $1135 U.S dollars. But someone has just added about $450 "tax" to it to take the price to over $1600. I want to stay as long as I can to make it worth the price of the ticket.

You have to get the multiple entry tourist visa from you own country so I have to fly back and forth. If it was legal to go to Laos I would do that in a minute and save about $1400!!!!!

I don't understand this learn Thai language thing. I have taken a local class and am in the process of teaching myself to read and write. Are you saying that if I take a class with certain schools, probably not available in Chiang Rai, that I can stay for a full year or years??

If you can show income of 65,000 baht per month or put 800,000 baht in the bank here for 3 months or show income and money in bank totaling 800,000 you can get a one year extensio for retirement.

Yes you can go to school also and stay without leaving. See the bannerr ads at the top of this page one of them says Chiang Mai.

Who told you it was not legal to go to Laos and get another tourist visa after you just finished using one.

You can do that without a problem.

I don't know if they have recently changed the retirement visa or not. The 800,000 baht has to stay in the bank for the full year. The last time I checked they were checking the bank accounts at various times during the year to make sure that the full amount was still there. The interest rate is next to nothing here and in some cases it is exactly nothing. The Gov't keeps raising the monthly income requirement so that it exceeds what most people get on Social Security in the U.S. You would think that they would be happy to have people spending that pension money here.

It is impossible to get the same information from different consuls. I was told that multiple entry visas are legal only if issued in the home country.

Are you saying that I can do a 60 day run to laos for a 60 day visa back to back to back etc.?? Instead of doing a 30 day run to Mae Sai just do a 60 day run to Vientiane??

The 800,000 baht has to stay in the bank for the full year. The last time I checked they were checking the bank accounts at various times during the year to make sure that the full amount was still there.

Where did you get such false information and why are you posting it here?

The correct info: if using the 800K to qualify for a retirement extension, the money must be there for TWO MONTHS for the first extension and THREE MONTHS for subsequent extensions. However, some immigration offices may be much more liberal for the subsequent extensions. The definition of "must be there" is that the balance must never fall below 800K during those time periods. Hardly, the entire year.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know if they have recently changed the retirement visa or not. The 800,000 baht has to stay in the bank for the full year. The last time I checked they were checking the bank accounts at various times during the year to make sure that the full amount was still there. The interest rate is next to nothing here and in some cases it is exactly nothing. The Gov't keeps raising the monthly income requirement so that it exceeds what most people get on Social Security in the U.S. You would think that they would be happy to have people spending that pension money here.

It is impossible to get the same information from different consuls. I was told that multiple entry visas are legal only if issued in the home country.

Are you saying that I can do a 60 day run to laos for a 60 day visa back to back to back etc.?? Instead of doing a 30 day run to Mae Sai just do a 60 day run to Vientiane??

The money only has to be there for 2 months on the first application (my error) 3 after that and they do not check to see if you keep the balance. They expect that you are going to use it over the course of the year and will see that when you do the application. If your social security comes us short of the 65,000 you can show a bank deposit to make up the difference. IE: An income of 55,000 would require a bank deposit of 140,000 baht to get a total of 800,000 baht.

Yes you can go to Vientiane Laos and get a 2 entry tourist visa. You get 60 days per entry that can be extended for 30 days giving you a totoal of 90 per entry. The visas are on issured with use before dates of 90 so you have watch that before you do your 2nd entry.

A lot of information you get from consulates is wrong.

The information came from the Los Angeles embassy. Like I said I can't get information to agree from any two consuls. And I'm posting it here to try to find out what is right!!!!!! Just what is your problem anyway??? I understood that I could put things here to try and find out what is what. By the way where are you getting your information from??

The information I got was that they didn't want people to live on the money deposited in the bank. I guess they wanted the bank to be able to use that money for loans etc. The info that I got from two different consuls were so far out of whack that it didn't even come close to one another. This was all coming out shortly after the military coup to get rid of Shiniwatra.

Let's say that I have an annual income of 400,000 baht, just to make things easy, then you say I only have to put 400,000 baht in a thai bank?? And it has to stay there for 2 or 3 months then I can use it to live on and bring the deposit back up to 400,000 baht the next time I apply for the retired visa??

So how do you get the 30 day extension to a 60 day visa?. I'm assuming that can be done inside Thailand by going to a Thai Immigration Office. And is it advisable, or would it be easier just to go back to Laos for another 60 day visa???

The information came from the Los Angeles embassy. Like I said I can't get information to agree from any two consuls. And I'm posting it here to try to find out what is right!!!!!! Just what is your problem anyway??? I understood that I could put things here to try and find out what is what. By the way where are you getting your information from??

The information I got was that they didn't want people to live on the money deposited in the bank. I guess they wanted the bank to be able to use that money for loans etc. The info that I got from two different consuls were so far out of whack that it didn't even come close to one another. This was all coming out shortly after the military coup to get rid of Shiniwatra.

Let's say that I have an annual income of 400,000 baht, just to make things easy, then you say I only have to put 400,000 baht in a thai bank?? And it has to stay there for 2 or 3 months then I can use it to live on and bring the deposit back up to 400,000 baht the next time I apply for the retired visa??

So how do you get the 30 day extension to a 60 day visa?. I'm assuming that can be done inside Thailand by going to a Thai Immigration Office. And is it advisable, or would it be easier just to go back to Laos for another 60 day visa???

You just have to trust what we say because we have been for a while and also seen many posts on this forum that support every thing we are writing.

You have been given false information by consuates and some individual apparently.

You can put the deposit the bank to show the 400,000 as in your example and use it to live on with no problem. Just long as you keep the full amount for 3 months for your extensions after the first one which is now 2 months. People extend every day showing bank books that show the amount going below the mark through out the year.

You can get a 30 day extension with no problem at immigration for 1900. baht. People do it all time. There is an office in Chiang Mai. All you need is passport and copies of its photo page, visa and entry/permit to stay stamps pages, plus copy of TM6 (departure card).

If you decide to do the retirement visa you can go to immigration once you have the money in the bank and change your tourist visa to a non immigrant O for 2000 baht if you are doing the combined income and they might even issure the extension the same day and you would then have to pay an additional 1900 baht for the extension. Yoou will need to have 21 days remaing on current permit to stay to do the change is only restriction.

People using the COMBO method to qualify for retirement extensions are NOT required to season the money in the bank account, AT ALL. In other words, if you have a pension letter for 400K and you are using another 400K in bank account to qualify, the money in the bank account could be transfered in the DAY BEFORE if you wish.

Do not listen to consulates about what happens AFTER you are are settled in Thailand, Useless!

Agree. For a combination of Income and Cash , the money has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

Consultes issue Visas. They have no idea on Immigration matters.

This is from the Official Immigration Laws.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Ok, finally some actual written rules. Thanks alot for that. So it looks to me as though the time requirement only applies to the 800,000 bahts in the bank only. If you have 65,000 baht per month income there is no time restriction and if you use the combo of income plus bank you only need to have the bank account valid on the day you file for the visa. But if you are using the bank account only they want you to have had the money in it for two months before you apply the first time and at least 3 months before you apply each year after that.

This now makes sense to me. They put the time restrictions on to prevent people from getting money in the account for a couple of days only. Then the person would give it back to whoever he borrowed from and would be in Thailand with no money. If you have a steady income you will be able to pay your own way.

Embassies and Consulates should know these things. That written excerpt is very understandable.

I'm going to check into this retirement thing now.

Does anyone know if it can be done at Mae Sai immigration office or would I have to go to Chiang Mai?? Mae Sai would be way better for me because I'm staying in Chiang Rai.

Thanks for all the info.

Ok, finally some actual written rules. Thanks alot for that. So it looks to me as though the time requirement only applies to the 800,000 bahts in the bank only. If you have 65,000 baht per month income there is no time restriction and if you use the combo of income plus bank you only need to have the bank account valid on the day you file for the visa. But if you are using the bank account only they want you to have had the money in it for two months before you apply the first time and at least 3 months before you apply each year after that.

This now makes sense to me. They put the time restrictions on to prevent people from getting money in the account for a couple of days only. Then the person would give it back to whoever he borrowed from and would be in Thailand with no money. If you have a steady income you will be able to pay your own way.

Embassies and Consulates should know these things. That written excerpt is very understandable.

I'm going to check into this retirement thing now.

Does anyone know if it can be done at Mae Sai immigration office or would I have to go to Chiang Mai?? Mae Sai would be way better for me because I'm staying in Chiang Rai.

Thanks for all the info.

Yes you should be able to do it in Mae Sai.

For the income you will need to do an affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai. No proof of income is needed. Because you swear that it is true and correct before a consular officer.

Website for consulate: http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html

When you put the money in bank you will need a letter from bank certifying the amount shown in the bank book.

That is exactly why they introduced this rule.

Alledgedly certain Immigration Officers were also lending Applicants the money at high interest rates.

If you're a tourist, get a tourist visa from your Thai consulate at home for 60-90 days travel.

Not rocket science!!

I'm not stupid, and I hate to make this lengthy but I've found several comments here outright offensive and ill considered.

My plans changed. I had accomodated for my plans changing but not with 15 day visas in conjunction with PAD occupation causing airline booking havoc. My original trip was for three weeks and my return flight was during the PAD occupation. I decided to extend my trip because my work at home had been delayed. Unfortunately, because of the occupation, the flights were jammed and the earliest flight I could get was 6 weeks later, much longer than I wanted, but after deliberating decided to go for it. I was unaware of the change to 15 days or I would have just left. As it was I wanted to go to Vietnam so I thought that would fix the problem but not going into detail, that didn't work out. Now I'm in a trap and that my friends is what I think the point is. I would love to fly home and I can't. In response to the '"crackdown" I don't work here, though I used to, and with a proper Visa the first time, and second time not so much. Everyone is I'm sure aware of how difficult those are to obtain so making that slightly easier might help people feeling like they needed to use dodgey services or do runs. Good for you if you happen to work at a company which can dole this out for you. Just because you run a company that requires more western employees than the one or two you are alotted, or as an independant basing yourself out of Thailand, doesn't mean that the company is not beneficial to the economy, its Thai employees, services used etc but that is another topic.

The point is, this isn't about a crackdown, consider the timing. This is about extortion. Now is not the time to do this I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and tourism is down. They're not getting rid of the riff raff, they can't afford to do that, they're just squeezing more juice out, buses, trains, fees, hotels, generating extra money, trying to recoup money, biting the hand that feeds you.

This has been a MASSIVE inconvenience to me and cost me loads of money. I am now in Cambodia for a couple of weeks on principle so I don't have to do a third visa run just to make it to my flight out where I would have happily been spending my money in Thailand otherwise. At least I'm aware of how I'm getting fleeced here.

I did not complain about the inconveniences caused by PAD. More than one 20 min taxi ride made to be an hour and a half to 2 hours due to blocked roads and traffic lanes. I was not nervous or afraid, and laugh like you will, there are people that were. I was not even that put out by the fact that the whole thing made it so booked up that changing my ticket meant 6 extra weeks as opposed to the two or three that were my intention. I was not put out to hear that overstay had gone up to 500 baht, but, when you throw that last down to 15 days bit in, that's like spitting on me when I'm down.

Get real, this is a terrible move, and if nothing else, it's terrible timing. Extorting more out of your few is not the way to go, stimulating more tourists to come through the gate is. I've come to Thailand many times, but I think I will have a hard time returning unless I'm offered a ring first if you catch my drift.

I made the it's not "rocket science" comment along with a few other observations. I don't care if you find it offensive, it was basically stating fact and opinion, and I do not apologize for it. It is simple to get a tourist visa in one's home country and in the surrounding area. It doesn't take a lot of effort and it's not complicated! In your case you didn't see the need to get a visa, fair enough. But, there is plenty of information available about the best places to get tourist visas (Vientienne comes to mind). Also, for temporary stay, why is it such a problem just to cross the border a couple of times instead of once?

I was also delayed because of the PAD situation. I was supposed to leave on December 1, was offered a chance to leave on Gulf Air on the 9th, but chose to stay until the 11th. I don't understand you and another poster I read about getting stuck for 6 weeks. But, I think I would consider a different airline next time.

For me, overstay wasn't an issue, but if it had been, I would have went accross the border and cameback in, even if it was 15 days at a time. You chose a different option, if your not satisfied with the results I hope you have better luck next time.

Edited by beechguy

OK, I cannot be bothered to read 25 pages of arguments.

s the 15 day stamp extendable? We have friends who came in from Laos, unaware of the recent changes and their flight is set for 6 days after their 15 days expires. Can they extend?

I really don't know which topic I shall post this:

Today I had make (again) a visa run with Jack Golf's to Cambodia.

Everything perfect like always, they really take care.

IMHO they are the best for visa run's services.

However, for those whom are looking for a TV (single or double), J.G's asking prices are over the normal rates.

6.600 baht!!! For one single entry!!! And have to stay there 2 nights!!! And if u won't to share the room more 800!!! Two long nights at one place where has only Casinos, gamblers… and … nothing else.

Let me put the things this way – FOR THE SAME PRICE (or even less), you can get a DOUBLE TOURIST VISA in Lao/Vientiane, where, following some reports, you only need to stay one night with plenty of amusements around.

It's only my modest opinion; I leave the rest for the wise experts of this board.

Excuses for my bad English & salutations to all for a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Cheers,

Roland

However, for those whom are looking for a TV (single or double), J.G's asking prices are over the normal rates.

6.600 baht!!! For one single entry!!! And have to stay there 2 nights!!! And if u won't to share the room more 800!!! Two long nights at one place where has only Casinos, gamblers… and … nothing else.

Let me put the things this way – FOR THE SAME PRICE (or even less), you can get a DOUBLE TOURIST VISA in Lao/Vientiane, where, following some reports, you only need to stay one night with plenty of amusements around.

It's only my modest opinion; I leave the rest for the wise experts of this board.

Cheers,

Roland

It's the Holiday season,the Vientiane Consulate is closed for 5 days,today included,meaning a week in Lao.

Not a bad idea,but hardly less expensive! :o

Cheers,

Roland

There have been some reports of people getting double entry tourist visas in Phnom Penh. To be fair you should be comparing the cost of a double entry TV in both locations.

I'd be very keen to see a price comparison between Vientiane and Phnom Penh for a double entry tourist visa.

If Immigration has networked computers, why is there a need for Visa runs? Just report to Immigration, pay for a visa renewal and keep the money in Thailand :o

Lancelot Very very good question maybe it's something the new government will look into during their term in office?

No chance

Just look at the people in power. They are all Chinese origin, and these rules were originally put in place

to keep more people from outside flooding across the borders in Thailand.

Since then farangs have been exploiting the loopholes in the law to become "perpetual tourists"

when in fact they are working.

How many other nations would permit such people to stay indefinitely??

Would your home nation?? I doubt it.

They would never have been allowed to enter in the first place or would be long gone by now.

As Dr P-P said there are visa that cover ordinary tourists, long stay tourists, people with genuine jobs, retired or

those married to Thai spouses.

What more can we reasonably expect??????????

Edited by somchai69

How many other nations would permit such people to stay indefinitely??

Just for starters:

Malaysia makes it easy. 90 days free upon entry.

Philippines: Stay for 2 years without leaving - just visit your friendly immigration office for 59 day extensions up to 2 years, no questions asked.

I don't know why you moral police think everyone wants to work in Thailand. I couldn't think of a worse place to work.

...My plans changed. I had accomodated for my plans changing but not with 15 day visas in conjunction with PAD occupation causing airline booking havoc...

Sorry about your plight. However, people have been stuck in other countries before due to system failures or weather. When any of us travel to developing countries we are ultimately responsible for all of travel plans. This place isn't Disney World where everything is predictable, clean and insured. Nor is it Singapore. You get in trouble here or are hurt out in the jungle you must immediately go into survival mode. It will do you no amount of good to blame your host country and depending where you are from, your embassy or consulate will be of no help to you. You have to think of these countries and your experiences as an adventure.

The bottom line is that you may have to make adjustment in your travel plans when you visit a country with a failing economy, a corrupt Tourist Authority, political upheaval and a small civil war festering for years in the country's southern region. All of this was going on before you made your trip so you are solely responsible for what happens after you arrive. I love to hear people cry about "massive inconvenience" because of fluid visa rules when people are dying all around from bombs, general types of homicide and a long running civil war. Thailand has a lot on its plate right now and probably doesn't care that they aren't getting your few thousand Baht a day.

For those of us who actually live here, to a man and woman we have to expect the unexpected everyday. Train strike? No problem. Riots near our favorite restaurant? No problem because we can change our plans in a flash. Airports closed? Inconvenient, but we'll work around it because we have to. This 15 day rule is inconceivable to someone who hasn't lived through numerous similar dumb rules put in place every year here. Stupid as it is, you just have to laugh and move on. In Thailand it's the Thai way or the highway. Get used to it. I'm fully aware that tomorrow or the next day a rule could change and I would soon have to vacate my country of choice. This is Thailand and as non-citizens we are simply guests. One has to constantly reassess there situation and you must have a "Plan B".

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text - Maestro

I know I am jumping in late here - I just wanted to had my 2 pence worth.....

I fully concur that non-tax paying long term expat tourist pseudo workers should be routed out - but at the same time, if they made it a little easier to get proper work permits then they could collect significant taxes from those who work in thailand. I mean there isn't really that many professions that business owners will opt to pay farangs 40-50k+ a month rather than pay a thai 5-6k...... for example you are not going to get an influx of farang cocktail waitresses and taxi drivers..... and proper tourists are not going to buy property from Thai salesmen, nor are they inclined to want to take a diving course from a Thai instructor......

What this wonder-law will do, which can only be damaging to the country I would imagine, is encourage all the long term 6-monthers to go elsewhere. I know alot British guys that basically work at home in the uk for 6 months of the year and then spend 6 months of the year in Thialand..... they work their nuts off for 6 months, save up about 5 or 6 grand, then go to thailand for 6 months, rent a nice little place in places like Samui, and give themselves an allowance of a grand a month........ in fairness, these guys o not spend money at the same rate as a 2 week tourist does, but none the less, they spend in a month wht a typical thai earns in a year...... I know at least 30 or 40 guys that have been doing this for 10yrs+..... I mean lets say 30 @ 6k sterling...... 180k sterling.... thats gotta be a million baht or raw incoming capital...... how many Thai workers, earning say 10,000baht a month would it take to generate that much tax revenue in a year?

What is more, is that these long term tourists guys are like magnets to their buddies back home..... they are plenty of party go'ers that were planning to go to Ibiza for 2 weeks or similar, and were planning on spending 2-3k per head to do so...... but instead their long term repeat tourist buddies in thailand have convinced them to go to Thailand for a MONTH instead of Spain for 2 weeks, for a better quality , more adventurous holiday instead.......

The long stay tourists are each like mini ambassadors....... I would bet that on average, for every long term tourist in Thailand they have inspired at least one other short term tourist to go to Thialand instead of another destination........ and of those additional short trm tourists, I bet at least half of them have returned..... and a large percentage of these guys end up marrying a Thai (like me), and end up bringing their spouse back to the uk or where ever, where they will for ever more be seinding back a further 50k baht per year (at least) to their families....... and will return on a yearly basis forever with the fmily to see that Thai family........

I get it....... they are trying to stop farangs working earning what is in a Thailand a very good wage, and not paying taxes on it....... but surely there are more effective ways of doing it? Or is it that I / we have over estimated the importance of tourism and inward cash flow into Thailand?

Agree. For a combination of Income and Cash , the money has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

If i have one company in my country and i can send the request money in one thai bank is possible have the non-imm? and if yes whic paper i have to get?

...My plans changed. I had accomodated for my plans changing but not with 15 day visas in conjunction with PAD occupation causing airline booking havoc...

Sorry about your plight. However, people have been stuck in other countries before due to system failures or weather. When any of us travel to developing countries we are ultimately responsible for all of travel plans. This place isn't Disney World where everything is predictable, clean and insured. Nor is it Singapore. You get in trouble here or are hurt out in the jungle you must immediately go into survival mode. It will do you no amount of good to blame your host country and depending where you are from, your embassy or consulate will be of no help to you. You have to think of these countries and your experiences as an adventure.

The bottom line is that you may have to make adjustment in your travel plans when you visit a country with a failing economy, a corrupt Tourist Authority, political upheaval and a small civil war festering for years in the country's southern region. All of this was going on before you made your trip so you are solely responsible for what happens after you arrive. I love to hear people cry about "massive inconvenience" because of fluid visa rules when people are dying all around from bombs, general types of homicide and a long running civil war. Thailand has a lot on its plate right now and probably doesn't care that they aren't getting your few thousand Baht a day.

For those of us who actually live here, to a man and woman we have to expect the unexpected everyday. Train strike? No problem. Riots near our favorite restaurant? No problem because we can change our plans in a flash. Airports closed? Inconvenient, but we'll work around it because we have to. This 15 day rule is inconceivable to someone who hasn't lived through numerous similar dumb rules put in place every year here. Stupid as it is, you just have to laugh and move on. In Thailand it's the Thai way or the highway. Get used to it. I'm fully aware that tomorrow or the next day a rule could change and I would soon have to vacate my country of choice. This is Thailand and as non-citizens we are simply guests. One has to constantly reassess there situation and you must have a "Plan B".

Plan b...ok i have a child that born in may, i have 46 yrs, i have a company in my country that work well but due the global financial problem this year i dont think every mont i can have 65.000 per month or put 800.000 in a thai bank for nothing, my wife is a normal lady that work as accounting she dont talk english and all her family and friedns are here.

so find for me a PLAN B i will pay 12 beer for that.

ciao

Edited by oceano

than 1 year at a time.

If i have one company in my country and i can send the request money in one thai bank is possible have the non-imm? and if yes whic paper i have to get?

Plan b...ok i have a child that born in may, i have 46 yrs, i have a company in my country that work well but due the global financial problem this year i dont think every mont i can have 65.000 per month or put 800.000 in a thai bank for nothing, my wife is a normal lady that work as accounting she dont talk english and all her family and friedns are here.

so find for me a PLAN B i will pay 12 beer for that.

ciao

Plan B and C: You must improve you lot in life here in the Land of Smiles. $2,000 US a month should not be unattainable even in a developing country. If it is, you should prepare for the possibility that you may have to move your family to your country of origin to survive. A marriage visa will be required and you should prepare the paperwork and start the process of getting dual citizenship for your child. It's a tough world out there and sometimes hard decisions have to be made.

I live in the Pai with a Thai Husband so these new visa laws do not affect me but I know that they are having a detrimental affect on the people of Pai. The number of Farang tourists visiting Pai has fallen dramatically and most bars withing Pai are only able to have live music at the weekends as they can not afford to pay for bands to play every night. Pai has become so busy with Thai tourists but unless you have a coffee shop you can not survive. As Thai people generally only stay for the weekend both massage services and laundry services have been crippled by the lack of farang tourists.

The way I feel about the new 15 day rule is that as a traveller previously myself, i came to Thailand and travelled the islands for a month or so and then went to Laos and Cambodia before returning to Thailand. What are our chances up here in Pai that we will get tourists returning from other countries coming all the way up here when they only have 15 days? People come to Thailand mainly because of the beaches and people who come to Pai have normally heard about it from other travellers as a relaxed place to come to. But I can't imagine feeling very relaxed knowing my visa runs out in 5 days and I need to get out of the country!!

I think that Cambodia will benefit greatly from these new laws in Thailand as it is an easy country to live and have a business in especially now when the world economy is so bad, Thailand needs to be encouraging investment, not making it harder for ordinary tourists to come to Thailand.

And I am not talking about long stay farang working illegally, (that is something that needs to be addressed directll) I am talking about tourists who take a 3 month holiday to see South east Asia and will surely decide that other countries are more inportant to see.