30-days Border Runs Now Only 15 Days

My post concerned this topic and its changes.

You seem most upset by the change 2 years ago that restricted doing border runs and getting 30 day entries. I have never understood why people were doing that when tourist visas were a better option even then. Before the border with Cambodia opened up and those easy runs were not possible people were going to Penang for visas. At one time the Burma border runs also were also not an option. To Laos it was only the bridge in Nong Kai to cross by land unless you got a visa in Bangkok. At that time even having a multiple entry visa meant a long trip by land.

Yes there were changes made to the requirements to those getting extensions. For the marriage/child extensions it made it better for some but not others. There is a grandfather clause of sorts that still lacks some calrification as to how immigration is going to use it for those hurt by it.

For those on retirement extensions it made it better for first time applicants.

I just don't see any trend of the goverment trying to run all the farangs out. They just want them to get visas if they want to stay for a long period of time instead of making a dash to the border.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

t is about the bar continuously being raised to force an ever-increasing number of expats out of the country (eventually all expats who think they are immune to the rule changes will realize this).

Its difficult to read the minds of the police order writers, but the predictable phenom of farangs not currently effected GLOATING about how bad the farangs are who are currently effected is one of the sickening traits of human nature that make our inevitable extinction less of a tragedy that some may think ...

This happens every time with every new round of change. As JR said, someday it may be YOU.

Edited by Jingthing

i had just friends comming over,the lady is from germany and married to a guy from slovenia,eu country,,,staying in woodlands,,she get 30 day, he get 15 days,,,what a nice holiday for them,,he must go on visatour,even satying only until 12.01

they love thailand more and more,,, and i think the only why they still come here,is bcs their sun is staying in thailand since years.

go on immigrtionpolice..................

ps immigration said only extension 7 days.

i had just friends comming over,the lady is from germany and married to a guy from slovenia,eu country,,,staying in woodlands,,she get 30 day, he get 15 days,,,what a nice holiday for them,,he must go on visatour,even satying only until 12.01

they love thailand more and more,,, and i think the only why they still come here,is bcs their sun is staying in thailand since years.

go on immigrtionpolice..................

ps immigration said only extension 7 days.

Every country has varying rules controlling the admission of foreign nationals entering its jurisdiction. These are often changed to reflect the migration patterns and economic/political circumstances of the visiting national's country. There is also the question of reciprocity in that one country will often mirror another in its treatment of their respective nationals.

In the case you have cited the Thai are distinguishing between length of membership of the EU and the fact that Slovenia is a relatively recent accession state. Neither Germany nor Slovenia permit entry without a visa to nationals of Thailand.

The status of Slovenians wishing to visit Thailand is well publicised in myriad travel web sites and with a little foresight your friend could have avoided any inconvenience by obtaining a visa before he travelled at quite modest cost and without any delay.

This of course is not an option available to the Thai who face a stringent and challenging test before they can consider any travel to the EU.

The MFA has updated theire website. No mention of the 90 day rule any where.

According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 41 countries and 1 special administrative region - Hong Kong SAR - are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time, except Malaysian nationals who cross the borderline from Malaysia whose granted period of stay will not exceed 30 days each time.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

You can't see what the uproar is about...........it is about an increasing number of expats--expats that were putting money in the economy--leaving and hurting local economies.

I think you are blowing this way out of proportion. The only people I see getting hit with difficulties are small business owners and the under fifty crowd that aren't married or working. I fit in the first category, and I'm making adjustments. Thailand isn't really any worse than some of the other countries I've dealt with, matter of fact they are more lenient in many respects.

Plenty of people can stay long term on tourist visas. If they are too lazy or stupid to get one, then maybe they are better off leaving or staying home. And, in the end maybe Thailand will better off without them.

My Laos gf stays here using a mixture of visas and visa runs (either to Laos or Cambodia). Reading the threads it would seem that the 15 day rule will apply to her, yet a Laos friend did a visa run to Cambodia yesterday and got 30 days! If it is 30 days then the fact that the 90-day rule has gone will make it easier. Otherwise, I guess we will just have to make the effort to get her a 1 year non-imm O the same as me.

My post concerned this topic and its changes.

You seem most upset by the change 2 years ago that restricted doing border runs and getting 30 day entries. I have never understood why people were doing that when tourist visas were a better option even then. Before the border with Cambodia opened up and those easy runs were not possible people were going to Penang for visas. At one time the Burma border runs also were also not an option. To Laos it was only the bridge in Nong Kai to cross by land unless you got a visa in Bangkok. At that time even having a multiple entry visa meant a long trip by land.

Yes there were changes made to the requirements to those getting extensions. For the marriage/child extensions it made it better for some but not others. There is a grandfather clause of sorts that still lacks some calrification as to how immigration is going to use it for those hurt by it.

For those on retirement extensions it made it better for first time applicants.

I just don't see any trend of the goverment trying to run all the farangs out. They just want them to get visas if they want to stay for a long period of time instead of making a dash to the border.

The reason I did it in the 4 tourist visits I made during my backpacking vacations from 2004-2007 was simple:flexibility and convenience. Why should I get a 3 month  single entrty visa(my vacation was 2 1/2 months)  when I may find that I want to stay in neighboring Laos Or Cambodia for a while?(as I did) Would that not waste money? Best not to have to think about these things when you are a backpacker or on a vacation from the oil riggs. Who wants the hastle?  Sure for a six month stay a proper visa isthe way to go IF you are sure you want to stay that long...(I know about multiple-entry visa but that is another hastle)

Perhaps someone with insight could answer this question because it has me totally baffled:

How can the immigration department make major changes to their regulations at a time when there is not even a functioning government?

Is the immigration department an independant power with no affiliation to the government? Does the head of this department make his own rules oblivious to government policies?

In "normal" countries, the immigration policies and regulations are determined by the elected government. What's going on in Thailand?

Edited by tropo

In "normal" countries, the immigration policies and regulations are determined by the elected government. What's going on in Thailand?

sorry,,but this changes come 1 week before somchai was ousted from the goverment

the last major change,,penang no issue visas more and 90 day rule come just a week or two before taxsin was ousted it was 10.09.2006,,bcs 4 day later i member of thaivisa.com

i am happy now with the democrat bcs for foreigner it can only get better

we see it already,,,,cambodia issuing visa again,,patpong in bangkok everywhere smoking same in pattaya :o ,,now they not scarred this taxsin crimminal

My Laos gf stays here using a mixture of visas and visa runs (either to Laos or Cambodia). Reading the threads it would seem that the 15 day rule will apply to her, yet a Laos friend did a visa run to Cambodia yesterday and got 30 days! If it is 30 days then the fact that the 90-day rule has gone will make it easier. Otherwise, I guess we will just have to make the effort to get her a 1 year non-imm O the same as me.

Lao citizens will get 30 day entries. They are entering on a bilateral agreement not visa exemp entries. There are sevral countries that have the same type of agreement and will still get 30 days and some even get 90 days.

I have never understood why people were doing that when tourist visas were a better option even then.

The reason I did it in the 4 tourist visits I made during my backpacking vacations from 2004-2007 was simple:flexibility and convenience. Why should I get a 3 month single entrty visa(my vacation was 2 1/2 months) when I may find that I want to stay in neighboring Laos Or Cambodia for a while?(as I did) Would that not waste money? Best not to have to think about these things when you are a backpacker or on a vacation from the oil riggs. Who wants the hastle? Sure for a six month stay a proper visa isthe way to go IF you are sure you want to stay that long...(I know about multiple-entry visa but that is another hastle)

I meant that to be in reference to people that were actually living here and making those runs.

I agree the 15 day entry is going to be a problem for some like those you mentioned. If people hadn't abused the system these changes would never of come into effect.

You can get a tourist visa with a number of entries in countries other than those nearby.

Plus you can get re-enty permits on tourist visas. Even on a single entry visa you could use these to enter a couple of times. If you get the 30 day extension you have 90 days.

Perhaps someone with insight could answer this question because it has me totally baffled: How can the immigration department make major changes to their regulations at a time when there is not even a functioning government? Is the immigration department an independant power with no affiliation to the government? Does the head of this department make his own rules oblivious to government policies? In "normal" countries, the immigration policies and regulations are determined by the elected government. What's going on in Thailand?
....Hah!.... Good questions... Maybe they were already agreed upon earlier... But it is strange....

sorry,,but this changes come 1 week before somchai was ousted from the goverment

the last major change,,penang no issue visas more and 90 day rule come just a week or two before taxsin was ousted it was 10.09.2006,,bcs 4 day later i member of thaivisa.com

I'm sorry (too), but the change was first enforced on Dec 4, 2 days after the PPP was disolved as a result of the court order on Dec 2. At this time there was no functioning governemnt, or international airport.

It still looks to me like the immigration department are an independent body doing as they please. I can't help thinking there is a person in there feeling powerful with a serious bias against foreigners trying to rush in this new regulation while the government is still in chaos and they feel they can get away with it.

hello! hoping to get a veeeery quick answer :o

it´s like this!

i arrived 23nov, got 30days = 22dec

gone over the border to laos via chong mek near ubon ratchatani

got 15 days only as the new law requier.

now i got visa to 5 jan, my plane leaves for sweden 26 jan

that means 21 days overstay.

im not really sure, can i go over the border and back once again to get 15 new days?

just so i come home.

been told i could do a "border run" instead of applaying for visa.

then they changed the law..

no im not sure on how to do.

hope anyone can help me!

sorry for my poor english

Regards Niklas

hello! hoping to get a veeeery quick answer :o

it´s like this!

i arrived 23nov, got 30days = 22dec

gone over the border to laos via chong mek near ubon ratchatani

got 15 days only as the new law requier.

now i got visa to 5 jan, my plane leaves for sweden 26 jan

that means 21 days overstay.

im not really sure, can i go over the border and back once again to get 15 new days?

just so i come home.

been told i could do a "border run" instead of applaying for visa.

then they changed the law..

no im not sure on how to do.

hope anyone can help me!

sorry for my poor english

Regards Niklas

You can do 2 border runs or go to a Thai Consulate and get a Tourist Visa.

Can't be sure of if the 90 day rule is abolished. We don't have a complete translation yet of the whole document. I must say it seems that way, but I'm not sure if this new police order is replacing the 90 day police order. It does look that way, but can someone who can read Thai confirm it replaces police order 608/2549?

Order Number 778/2551 states that "Paragraph 3 of Order Number 608/2549 is hereby revoked". Paragraph 3 of Order Number 608/2549 is the paragraph in which travelers from visa-exemption countries can receive a 30 day visa but no more than 90 days within any 6 month period of time. So, Order 778/2551 abolishes the 90 day within 6 month restriction. Since Order Number 778/2551 does not mention such a restriction, that means that the 90 day restriction is officially abolished. This makes sense as it is difficult to conceive that too many foreigners who rely on 30 day visas will want to do a visa run every two weeks.

Edited by CMauldin

Just a thought.

What if some one arrives by air and gets a30 day Visa on arrival.

Then after a few days (say 3) leaves Thailand for ,say 3days, and re-enters by land .

How many days will they bw given on arrival the second time?

You will not get a Visa On Arrival. The first entry by air gets a 30 day Visa Exempt Stamp. (Not the same thing)

If you leave after 3 days and come back by land you will get 15 days Visa Exempt Stamp.

Good example, hasher, of how this new (inane) 15 day policy damages Thailand's status as a regional travel hub. Luckily for Thailand, they still have geography on their side, it still makes sense from a LOCATION point of view to be a hub.

I reality they're still ahead of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam due to quick and free entries for most nationalities.

But not Malaysia and Singapore. Both those places lack the central location. Still, I can't see any good reason for Thailand to shoot themselves in the foot even if it turns out to only be a minor flesh wound.

Edited by Jingthing

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Yup. It's weird that they have this loophole in the visa regulations in the first place, it's only natural that they try to curb this practice.

That said, I think it would benefit Thailand if they made it a lot easier for people to stay in the country with proper visas. Like Malaysia your second home. But I guess Thailand is already too popular as it is :o ... and whenever a country gets too popular, they tighten the visa rules. Try to live in the US if you are not a US citizen :D

I think that Thailand wants to get rid of what it sees as the riff raff falangs. Those who cannot be bothered or just cannot get the right visa. If you have a legitimate visa there is no problem in staying here.

Yup. It's weird that they have this loophole in the visa regulations in the first place, it's only natural that they try to curb this practice.

That said, I think it would benefit Thailand if they made it a lot easier for people to stay in the country with proper visas. Like Malaysia your second home. But I guess Thailand is already too popular as it is :o ... and whenever a country gets too popular, they tighten the visa rules. Try to live in the US if you are not a US citizen :D

It is already easy to get the "right visa". It is called a tourist visa. Just make a trip to a consulate and get one. A 2 entry tourist visa is easy to get in Vientiane or Kota Bharu. And now PP in Cambodia has been reported to of gotten more friendly and is giving 2 entry visas.

From their home country they can get a 3 entry tourist visa that would give almost 9 months without getting a new visa and in some a non-o mutiple entry is easy to get that gives almost 15 months.

For those that wouldn't mind spending 4 hours a week in a classroom they can study Thai and not even have to leave the country for years.

For those that wouldn't mind spending 4 hours a week in a classroom they can study Thai and not even have to leave the country for years.

Would you expand on that please or point me to the right thread / topic?

Especially the costs.

cheers :o

gd

Especially the costs.

gd

Have a look at the Thai Language Schools Sponsers at the top of the page.

Especially the costs.

gd

For the educational visa look the banners of the forumsponsors at the top of the page. Costs are around 29,000 a year.

Especially the costs.

gd

For the educational visa look the banners of the forumsponsors at the top of the page. Costs are around 29,000 a year.
More adverts and info on this forum. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-language-f43.html