Opening A Thai Bank Account On A Tourist Visa

StevieH

can anyone recommend any tips and tricks that will help me open a thai bank account please? i've been advised that bangkok bank is my most likely avenue. i'm on a tourist visa and have been in the kingdom for about eight months if that helps any. cheers.

I did some research myself and it seems it is quite possible as long as you can get a letter of recommendation.

It's all set out in the link below. I think I read somewhere that the Silom branch is the best to go to. I am going to try to open an account when I am in Bangkok next month. Good luck with your effort

www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Customers/Bangkok+Bank+Accounts.htm#1

can anyone recommend any tips and tricks that will help me open a thai bank account please? i've been advised that bangkok bank is my most likely avenue. i'm on a tourist visa and have been in the kingdom for about eight months if that helps any. cheers.

Hi Stevie

The rules can and do change quite a bit for this, but i think the bottom line is that a lot of banks just don't know what they are allowed to do and what they're not. Therefore, it's easier for the staff just to say you can't do it rather than take the time to speak to supervisors, or call other branches etc.

I tried to open a Bkk bank account in soi Ekamai with a non B visa a few years back and they said only retired foreigners or those with work permits were allowed to open new accounts. I then went to the head office in Silom Rd and they opened my new account without as much as a blink of an eye. When asked, they said anyone with a passport and valid stamp could open a 'Savings' account complete with ATM card.

Tip: Go direct to the head bank in CM and avoid the sub branches unless someone knows different.

Aitch

I opened one at Kasikorn Bank in Chiangmai is September. I had only been in the country for five days and was on a 30 day visa waiver entry.

Just showed passport and used hotel as address.

No problem

I opened one at Kasikorn Bank in Chiangmai is September. I had only been in the country for five days and was on a 30 day visa waiver entry.

No problem

Exactly what I did a few years ago in Udon Thani at a Bangkok Bank branch. No problem.

No one has told you but you would be best off to get a bank account at a bank near where you live. Many banks will charge you for services outside of your local area. Like everything in Thailand, if one won't open an account for you, go to the next one. Trust me, you will eventually get a bank account. Now a credit card, that is a whole different story.

LSM

No one has told you but you would be best off to get a bank account at a bank near where you live. Many banks will charge you for services outside of your local area. Like everything in Thailand, if one won't open an account for you, go to the next one. Trust me, you will eventually get a bank account. Now a credit card, that is a whole different story.

LSM

no doubt you are correct. But the OP would not be able to choose which bank he prefers being on a tourist visa.

LSM

no doubt you are correct. But the OP would not be able to choose which bank he prefers being on a tourist visa.

Truthfully, I would be surprised at anyone not being able to open an account at any main Thai bank in Chiang Mai.

Truthfully, I would be surprised at anyone not being able to open an account at any main Thai bank in Chiang Mai.

well i've been here for around eight months and have just done a visa run for another two/three month tourist visa. so hopefully you're right, ajarn.

I did some research myself and it seems it is quite possible as long as you can get a letter of recommendation.

It's all set out in the link below. I think I read somewhere that the Silom branch is the best to go to. I am going to try to open an account when I am in Bangkok next month. Good luck with your effort

www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Customers/Bangkok+Bank+Accounts.htm#1

Great info, thanks for the link.

I have an account with Bkk bank and KK. Went in dressed neatly with passport and proof of address. Went in confident, didnt babble just stated what i wanted in a polite way, and kept a smile. If i recall correct, when asked what my purpose for opening the account was, I said i wished to transfer funds from my UK account into their account. Both times I think they were thinking "Big money coming our way, give her an account!" :o(Sadly for them (and me), no big money going their way, but I believe I gave an impression that they would want me as a client.) :D

I think a smart appearance, polite manner, and air of confidence goes a long way (well..same anywhere really)

I got turned down by the Bangkok Bank branch on Thapae Road even though I showed them my passbook from one of their branches in Bangkok.... :o

I think it just depends on who you talk to and what mood they're in though. If you get refused at one bank just try another and you'll be successful eventually.

if one says no go to next one.

you even get cash card and pin the same day

really? they could teach uk banks a thing or two. also the proliferation of ATMs in thailand is slightly overwhelming.

Take your Thai partner for insurance/re-assurance. Pay the 300 Baht for the ATM card.

Also take the advice of the poster who said open the account in the area that you know you will be residing in - there are costs for paying in and withdrawals in other provinces.

Register for online banking - SCB for example allow you to top up your mobile online.

No problem

Yes we did same last year before we moved here .Kasicorn bank as stated passport and hotel address you are staying at

I have a tourist Visa but will be getting a Non-B and WP soon. I was told at one Bankok Bank branch "can not" without WP, so went to another branch and was able to get savings account with ATM card with a verbal agreement to bring in WP as soon as I had it. They even called and spoke to my boss to confirm my story. 300 Baht for ATM card and a 500 baht deposit, which I then withdrew with my new ATM card. lol

There is a fee for out of area ATM transactions, even with BKK Bank ATMS, which I think was <deleted>.

• 4 weeks later...

hey all, further to this thread i'd like to recommend kasikorn bank on chang klan road (night bazaar area) as the place to go if you need a bank account on a tourist visa. went in, dealt with lek the customer services lady and came out twenty minutes later with an ATM account on the back of a tourist visa and proof of address here in chiang mai. a pleasure to deal with too, very friendly.

siam commercial turned me down for not having at least three months on a visa and bangkok bank for not having a work permit FWIW. very chuffed with kasikorn's service and approach though.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you managed to open an account Stevie.

There is no bloody logic is there? six months ago I went to Kasikorn Suk soi 10 branch and was told new rules...must have work permit.

Now you get knocked back by Bangkok Bank and accepted by Kasikorn...Gues what? I opened an account a couple of days ago at Bangkok Bank Sri Donchai branch!!

I took the printed information from their web site, but more importantly our local supplier who banks with them.

Anyway...is everybody happy? You bet your life we are :o

I've just opened account in Kasikorn Bank at Tha Phae branch.

I had tourist visa which expired 2 days before I opened account :o

Now I am wondering how I can send money oversea to my Russian bank?

Is it possible to open account in international banks like citi and so on?

One year ago, I opened an account at Kasikorn Bank main branch on Chang Klan with only a photocopy of my passport that I had with me at the time. No proof of address. A visa of any kind was not even mentioned or asked for.

At the time, I was dressed nicely and used some simple Thai phrases when I was dealing with the manager. Like everything here, it really depends on who you speak with and how you conduct yourself.