Airports Reopen: Foreign Travellers Could Drop 40%

george

Don't over react Sir, even a Tsunami had no major effect on tourism to Phuket. Yesterday I was looking for a ticket in March or April, almost all flight where fully booked during that period.

So one week of closing an airport will have almost no effect at all.

If there will be a drop in tourism it will be because the financial crisis, but NOT because Suva was closed for a week.

What do you mean "if"?. What colour is the sky in your world, henryalleman? :o

From the Phuket Gazette:

Phuket businesses seek debt moratorium

PHUKET (The Nation): Cash-strapped tourism businesses in Phuket are seeking debt relief in order to deal with the current downturn in tourist arrivals at a time when hotel occupancy rates are normally at their highest.

Somchai Pathamakantin, founder of the Phuket Seashell Museum and representative of tourist business groups on Kata and Karon beaches, today proposed to Phuket Governor Preecha Ruangjan that the government announce a debt moratorium for business operators in light of the current crisis.

The moratorium is the best solution, as it would require no legal amendments to take effect and would keep business operators financially strong enough to avoid staff layoffs, he said. A similar moratorium, which covered only interest on the principle, was instituted with government help after the 2004 tsunami disaster, he added.

<snip>

After the tsunami disaster, most tourism entrepreneurs had to borrow money from financial institutions to save their businesses. Since then, tourist numbers had gradually improved – until the current political conflict erupted.

Thai Hotels Association President Prakit Chinamourpong said on Tuesday that many hotels in Phuket have also cut staff working days to four or five days per week.

“Some luxury hotels are running with a single-digit occupancy rate, sharply down from the average 70% rate recorded in the same period last year… For the overall hotel industry, the average occupancy rate this month alone has declined 19.1%,” he said.

The nationwide impact of the Bangkok airports’ shutdown was greater than the 2004 tsunami, he said.

Full story here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=6966

I don't believe you are totally up to speed with the latest information, henryalleman.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This I found www.ttrweekly.com

Passengers and flights dip

12 December 2008 11:00

Passengers fall 45% so far while flights are down by 26%.

Since its re-opening, 5 December, the average daily passenger movements at Suvarnabhumi Airport dropped 44.36% while flights fell 25.91%.

In response the Airports of Thailand will consider assisting airlines financially and other business operators at the airport. It is forecasting a serious impact on business for the next six months.

Suvarnabhumi Airports deputy director Commander, Prateep Wichitto, revealed passenger movements sank 44.36% after the airport re-opened, from 100,000 passengers a day during the same month last year. International passenger movements now stand at 55,737 to 44,149 (arrivals, departures and transit) and 11,588 domestic passengers.

All 105 airlines serving the city resumed services, but frequencies fell. There are now 496 flights a day — 362 international flights and 134 domestic flights, compared with 714 flights, which represents 25.91% drop.

The volume of cargo through the airport decreased 28.83% from 3,365 tons a day to 2,395.

Despite these declines, Mr Prateep insists the airport can recover within six months and continue with its target to join the world’s top 10 ranked airports by 2010.

AoT acting president and Suvarnahumi Airport director, Serirat Prasutanond, reported, after the board meeting 11 December, that AoT lost approximately Bt60 million a day from 26 November to 4 December. AoT confirmed it intends to sue the People Alliance for Democracy for damages. Documents and evidence needed to file a lawsuit will be ready in January.

Suvarnabumi Airport will suffer for six months, he added, resulting in stagnant traffic mainly due to a lack of confidence in the airport’s security.

AoT will consider offering incentives to airlines and duty-free shops such as lower rental fee.

It is considering reimbursing King Power’s rental for the days the airport was closed. Over 10-days of disruption that would amount to around Bt85 million.

3 million tourists disappear during December-March

Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT) expected the missing of 3 million tourists during December and March, as a result of the domestic political conflicts.

This would reduce the expected revenue by Bt109 billion, TCT said.

"We expect the tourists to divert to neighbouring countries particularly Bali and Malaysia," said TCT president Kongkrit Hiranyakit.

TCT also revised down the tourist arrivals next year to 12.8 million from 15 million, with tourism revenue of Bt460 billion.

Kongkrit said the figures are lower than in 2008 when tourist arrivals are expected to reach 14.1 million and revenue to Bt540 billion.

Source: The Nation - 17 December 2008

TAT: Thai Tourism is Back on Track

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has confirmed that the travel business in Thailand is back to normal, while setting the growth target for foreign arrivals at 5 percent for 2009.

Following the reopening of Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports earlier this month, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Phornsiri Manoharn confirms that the country’s tourism industry has recovered from the brief ordeal.

Phornsiri also said that in 2008, total foreign arrivals should total 14.46 million, which is approximately the same level as last year. But the latest 2008 forecast was a revision of TAT’s previous projection of 15.4 million foreign tourist arrivals.

For next year, TAT predicted a five-percent growth rate, which is hoped to be achieved through various promotional campaigns.

In the meantime, Phornsiri said that TAT is hopeful that the new government will help restore confidence and boost tourism.

She also plans to propose all TAT campaigns for the next government to review and adjust all its plans to go in line with the new administration’s policies.

Meanwhile, Thai AirAsia Chief Executive Officer Tassapon Bijleveld expects the new government to focus its attention on the travel industry. He said that currently Thai AirAsia occupancy rate is at 80 percent, while its target was set at 90 percent.

Tasspon added that Thailand remains a leading tourist destination in the eyes of foreign travelers, due to its diversified natural beauty and rich cultural heritage.

Source: TOC - 17 December 2008

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has confirmed that the travel business in Thailand is back to normal, while setting the growth target for foreign arrivals at 5 percent for 2009.

Who are they kidding? The airports are still almost empty during the height of "high" season. Pretty much shows how much to rely on anything that TAT says. :o

Who are they kidding? ...

Nobody (well, apart from TAWP), but it's what they are paid to do. TIT and TAT. :o

My new years wish is that the good Burgers of Bangkok bear the brunt of this financial hit. Next time, they may be less sheeplike in their following of Sondhi.

:o

Those who supported / are supporting PAD hurt themselves first.

Many poor people growing their own foods may not feel any crisis.

Airport seizure: Never again

"We regret the incident and will not allow it to happen again," the newly elected prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told Thai tourism industry representatives.

- Bangkok Post

This is how it should have gone:

"I'm glad to send my Party member(s) to block airports with PAD so I can appear good and corruption free all the time. I will not allow the reds to do the same".

"Amazing Thai Travel 2008" taking place this weekend

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has joined with the tourism alliance to organize an event to promote tourism to the general public with "Amazing Thai Travel 2008." The event is within the "Vibrant Thai Travel, Vibrant Thai Economy" campaign and will take place from December 20th-21st at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok.

During the event, tourism business operators will present over 100 booths of tour packages, destination details, accommodations, entertainment venues, spas, and airlines at special prices. The floor of the event will be divided into zones based on region with the

South being the "Blue & Green: Clean & Clear Zone",

the Northeast being "The Land of Wisdom Zone",

the North being "The Classy Lanna Zone",

and the Central being "The Nostalgia Tourism Zone".

A variety of cultural activities will also be on hand.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand hopes that "Amazing Thai Travel 2008" will persuade Thai people to travel in the country more.

Nonetheless, the joining of over 100 tourist businesses will be a major cooperation within the industry with public and private sector agencies banding together to stimulate tourism.

Interested people may visit "Amazing Thai Travel 2008" this Saturday and Sunday at Ballroom Zone A in the Queen Sirkit Convention Center.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

"We regret the incident and will not allow it to happen again," the newly elected prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told Thai tourism industry representatives.

- Bangkok Post

"I'm glad to send my Party member(s) to block airports with PAD so I can appear good and corruption free all the time. I will not allow the reds to do the same".

Interesting that he said "We" and not "I"

FF

"Amazing Thai Travel 2008" taking place this weekend

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has joined with the tourism alliance to organize an event to promote tourism to the general public with "Amazing Thai Travel 2008." The event is within the "Vibrant Thai Travel, Vibrant Thai Economy" campaign and will take place from December 20th-21st at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok.

During the event, tourism business operators will present over 100 booths of tour packages, destination details, accommodations, entertainment venues, spas, and airlines at special prices. The floor of the event will be divided into zones based on region with the

A variety of cultural activities will also be on hand.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand hopes that "Amazing Thai Travel 2008" will persuade Thai people to travel in the country more.

Nonetheless, the joining of over 100 tourist businesses will be a major cooperation within the industry with public and private sector agencies banding together to stimulate tourism.

Interested people may visit "Amazing Thai Travel 2008" this Saturday and Sunday at Ballroom Zone A in the Queen Sirkit Convention Center.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

Is that a joke?

The Tourism Authority of Thailand hopes that

Is that a joke?

With the TAT, it's funny stuff all the time to us, its customers. And it's all real to them.

- Bangkok Post

Interesting that he said "We" and not "I"

FF

Or someone translated it that way.

He also could be talking of we globally as in 'all Thais' regretting the incident.

Hind sight is 20/20, doesn't mean it proves involvement just regret.