New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

Order of The Thai Police Headquarters No. 777/2551

Attached is a translated version of Police Order 777/2551. This translation is kindly provided by Isaan Lawyers,

http://www.isaanlawyers.com

This is not an official translation and it should be used only for information purposes. In case of discrepancy with the Thai version, you should know that the Thai document is the only official one.

Red sections are new modifications.

Now it's up to you, the Thaivisa community to discuss and try to understand it. When you guys are clear about what the changes are, we will email all members about the changes.

Cheers & Thanks in advance for your contributions!

English version (PDF):

New_Immigration_Rules_November_2008.PDF

Original Thai version (PDF):

RTP777_2551.pdf

Business visa extensions (PDF):

The_Guideline_of_Consideration_of_continuous_and_active_business_status.pdf

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankls Isaan Lawyers, well done and much apreciated!

I think overall the changes are good. The first thing I notice is that that nothing seems to be grandfathered. Particulary for people relying on a family incoem this could mean problems.

Nice is the review option if the application is turned down. But what it will be worth in practise?

If I understand this right, to qualify for a Business visa, Europeans, Australians, North Americans and Japanese have to prove a monthly income of 50,000 baht (or more).

Meanwhile, people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong only have to have an income of 45,000/month. Other countries it's down to 35,000/month except for African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam, where the monthly requirement is down to just 25,000.

And the "business" must have submitted 2 years of certified financial statements (showing a sound financial condition and an ongoing active business).

Would this apply to all the "shell" companies people have registered in order to buy property ?

An important change (for some) to the Retirement Visa requirements as well.

The 800,000 baht only has to be in the account for 60 days for the first year (but 90 days for subsequent years if I read this right):

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days.

George,

Out of interest, I already have Order of the Royal Thai Police No.606/2549 dated September 8, B.E. 2549.

but I cannot find:

Order of the Royal Thai Police No. 56/2551 dated January 21, B.E. 2551.

You wouldnt happen to have a copy of order 56/2551, dated Jan this year????

I just wanted to have a look at a couple of points in this....but can't find :o can you help??

George,

Out of interest, I already have Order of the Royal Thai Police No.606/2549 dated September 8, B.E. 2549.

No, unfortunately not. Have you Googled it?

Yes, I have googled it in english FOUND NOTHING ....might give thai a whirl...not too sure what 56/2551 is about :o

Edited by neverdie

It would seem to indicate that in the case of an alien who has legally married a Thai woman, and can show 400,000 Bhat in a correctly seasoned bank account, they will be granted a permission to stay of one full year, without the necessity to do any sort of border run every 90 days, which I believe used to be part of the marriage visa deal... Am I right, or have I misread it ?

Murg

It would seem to indicate that in the case of an alien who has legally married a Thai woman, and can show 400,000 Bhat in a correctly seasoned bank account, they will be granted a permission to stay of one full year, without the necessity to do any sort of border run every 90 days, which I believe used to be part of the marriage visa deal... Am I right, or have I misread it ?

Murg

You are correct

For Men married to a Thai Lady who have been using FAMILY INCOME up to now it looks like it is up to the discretion of the Immigration Officer whether He can continue to do this.

Would you mind to say/explain a little more, "Lite Beer"?

I use for my first 1 year extension (just 2 weeks ago) the sum of incomes or "family income" as you say... It does not exist any more, but we are back to (what existed before) the 400.000 bahts bank account.

Where did you get the "discretion of the Immigration Officer"?

Thanks

Thanks for confirming that Lite Beer,

That's something of a weight off my mind... When I entered the Kingdom last April, it was on a full O/A multiple entry visa, on the basis that my current income from my savings was producing an income of about 65,300 Bhat per month. In the meantime, what with the fall in value of the British Pound against the Bhat, my monthly income now only produces about 54,000 per month. I imagine that a fair number of Brits are in the same position. Fortunately I have Married a Thai national and so should be able to convert to a Marriage visa (Extension of permission to stay) without too many paperwork issues.

Phew...

Murg

Has extension of stay based on 40,000B per month "family" income been changed to 40,000B "husband only" income? (2:18 - 6.)

It reads that way...........

unless you have children, then it is 40Kbaht income for either parent.

If this is correct it is bound to affect some families. :o

For Men married to a Thai Lady who have been using FAMILY INCOME up to now it looks like it is up to the discretion of the Immigration Officer whether He can continue to do this.

Would you mind to say/explain a little more, "Lite Beer"?

I use for my first 1 year extension (just 2 weeks ago) the sum of incomes or "family income" as you say... It does not exist any more, but we are back to (what existed before) the 400.000 bahts bank account.

Where did you get the "discretion of the Immigration Officer"?

Thanks

Read no.6 in the police order. That is the way I read it.

Unfortunately they did not re-introduce the 3 million Baht investment extension.

They only confirm that aliens who have been on that investment extension from before October 1st 2006 will be able to keep extending.

The 400,000 Baht for married persons is a good thing though!

George,

No, unfortunately not. Have you Googled it?

Went round and round in circles with that one...couldnt find Order of the Royal Thai Police No. 56/2551 dated January 21, B.E. 2551.

in english or thai.

Not too sure what this is about:-

Order of the Royal Thai Police No. 56/2551 dated January 21, B.E. 2551.

:o

Murg

You are correct

Is this referring to Extension of Stay? There never was a "Marriage Visa".

Has extension of stay based on 40,000B per month "family" income been changed to 40,000B "husband only" income? (2:18 - 6.)

It reads that way...........

unless you have children, then it is 40Kbaht income for either parent.

If this is correct it is bound to affect some families. :o

Been on 1 year Non-O visas based on 40.000 THB/month income of my wife for almost 2 years now, any further info on this would be interesting indeed. I can hardly imagine they would not grant us the next extension but then again, who knows. Why did they change the law again anway, did they announce anything like that?

Basch

Murg

You are correct

Is this referring to Extension of Stay? There never was a "Marriage Visa".

Extension of stay based on Marriage.

Am I reading case 2.24 right. You do not need any type of temporary visa (i.e. you can come in on a VOA) to get an automatic 60 days if you are an alien visiting your Thai spouse.

"Visa on Arrival" or "Visa Exempt Stamp"?

Doesn't matter which one. You can get a 60 day extention (one time). Was already the case.