New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has extension of stay based on 40,000B per month "family" income been changed to 40,000B "husband only" income? (2:18 - 6.)

It reads that way...........

unless you have children, then it is 40Kbaht income for either parent.

If this is correct it is bound to affect some families. :o

Been on 1 year Non-O visas based on 40.000 THB/month income of my wife for almost 2 years now, any further info on this would be interesting indeed. I can hardly imagine they would not grant us the next extension but then again, who knows. Why did they change the law again anway, did they announce anything like that?

Basch

I expect them to grant the next extension, but after that.....

"The business concerned must have duly submitted its financial statement as at the end of the two fiscal years and certified by an auditor or tax auditor, showing a sound financial condition and an on-going active business as attached order"

Is this correct? I won't be re-issued my Non-B 1 year as the business has only been operational for 1 year and not the required 2?

It would seem to indicate that in the case of an alien who has legally married a Thai woman, and can show 400,000 Bhat in a correctly seasoned bank account, they will be granted a permission to stay of one full year, without the necessity to do any sort of border run every 90 days, which I believe used to be part of the marriage visa deal... Am I right, or have I misread it ?

Murg

You are correct

Is this referring to Extension of Stay? There never was a "Marriage Visa".

Extension of stay based on Marriage.

Interesting...so if you have the correctly seasoned bank account, no 90-day report?

Seems Thai woman married to a foreigner are discriminated as opposed to Thai men married to a foreigner. Once again a gross violation of several human right treaties Thailand is party to, not to mention the Thai constitution itself. Will never stand up in court if a Thai woman sues the government over this.

Seems Thai woman married to a foreigner are discriminated as opposed to Thai men married to a foreigner. Once again a gross violation of several human right treaties Thailand is party to, not to mention the Thai constitution itself. Will never stand up in court if a Thai woman sues the government over this.

Cannot disagree with that.

2.4 In the case of tourists:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 30 days at a time but not exceeding 90 days in total, counting from the entry date.

does this mean tourist visas are now 30 days iso 60?

why get a visa then if you get 30 days on arrival anyway?

Am I reading case 2.24 right. You do not need any type of temporary visa (i.e. you can come in on a VOA) to get an automatic 60 days if you are an alien visiting your Thai spouse.

The order is discussing visa extensions, not visas on arrival. In the case of 2.24, the English translation above is incorrect,

this:

In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

shoud in fact read like this:

In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a single time only, with a period of not more than 60 days.

Edited by Razr

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 30 days at a time but not exceeding 90 days in total, counting from the entry date.

This refers to Visa Exempt Entries. 30 days arriving at an airport. 15 days arriving at a land border crossing.

My interpretation (thanks Issan Legal) for those on a non O-A visa ( for the purposes of retirement) is very little change.

After you get a non O-A in your home country, if you play your cards right there is no need to apply for an extension until just before the end of the second year of your O-A.

At this time, previously you needed 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the extension application (or pension, or combination). Now it seems the 800k must be in the Thai bank for 60 days for the first extension application, and 3 months for every year after that.

If my interpretation is correct, this is in fact a slight relaxation of the current policy, which requires 800k for 3 months prior to the first extension application.

I am happy to be corrected, given that my interpretation has been Leo-assisted :o

Good question. It seems to mean that, but I don't think that the change of a visa would be mentioned in this police order. This police order is about exentions of stays, not visa's. Will have to wait and see hwat is meant by this.

The order outlines the rules for visa extensions, not visas themselves. What this means is that you can get a 30 day extension on a 30 or 60 day TR visa. The change here is that you used to be able to get 30 + 21 + 7 day extensions on a single TR visa.

After you get a non O-A in your home country, if you play your cards right there is no need to apply for an extension until just before the end of the second year of your O-A.

At this time, previously you needed 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the extension application (or pension, or combination). Now it seems the 800k must be in the Thai bank for 60 days for the first extension application, and 3 months for every year after that.

That is incorrect for the old rules. Before those applying for an O-A in their home country were not required to show any money at all IN A THAI BANK ACCOUNT.

My interpretation (thanks Issan Legal) for those on a non O-A visa ( for the purposes of retirement) is very little change.

If my interpretation is correct, this is in fact a slight relaxation of the current policy, which requires 800k for 3 months prior to the first extension application.

I am happy to be corrected, given that my interpretation has been Leo-assisted :o

I read it that way too. it is a small relaxation of the rules.

My interpretation is Chang assisted.

It seems to refer to application of a 12 month extension for retirement. You start with a Non Imm O Visa and you can extend with the money in the bank for 2 months. Each year after that it needs to be 3 months.

An important change (for some) to the Retirement Visa requirements as well.

The 800,000 baht only has to be in the account for 60 days for the first year (but 90 days for subsequent years if I read this right):

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days.

i don't see the age requirement for retirement visa, did i miss it?

That is incorrect for the old rules. Before those applying for an O-A in their home country were not required to show any money at all IN A THAI BANK ACCOUNT.

Jing, both myself and Lite Beer declared our impediment (albeit slightly different) :o

Please read my post again, and feel free to declare yours :D

Parents of a Thai Child are eligible for a 12 month extension with 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 Monthly income. No mention of having to be 50 years old.

I never really understood why they have the age restrictions at all. What if you retire in Thailand at 30 years old?

An important change (for some) to the Retirement Visa requirements as well.

The 800,000 baht only has to be in the account for 60 days for the first year (but 90 days for subsequent years if I read this right):

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days.

i don't see the age requirement for retirement visa, did i miss it?

You mist it.

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

As earlier today on the website of:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Thailand

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region – Hong Kong SAR – are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

- Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490

Can this RTP778_2551.pdf document be downloaded from http://www.mfa.go.th?

Please read my post again, and feel free to declare yours biggrin.gif

Green tea. The O-A (from home countries) is often confused with people on retirement extensions who never got an O-A and started with a regular O.

No confusion here.

If you look at my post again

At this time, previously you needed 800k in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to the extension application (or pension, or combination)

the reference to "at this time" clearly refers to an application for extension just before the end of the second year.

As not married, and not yet 50 years of age, I have done my time here for 9 months at the time.

Tourist visa with extension, then a couple of visits to the neighbour countries, for 90 days more each time, to Malaysia and Cambodia(Phnom Phen).

Will there be any changes here?

I understand (I think?) that tourist visas can no longer be of 60 days, 30 days from now on, and the total stay not exceed 90 days? Is this over a period of 180 days?

And are there new rules for going by the local borders now, 15 days? For example the visaruns to Ban Laem?

Anyone?

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002), 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002), 18 October B.E. 2547 (2004) and 6 May B.E. 2548 (2005), passport holders from 40 countries and 1 special administrative region – Hong Kong SAR – are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

- Please note that Tourist Visa Exemption does not apply to foreigners holding Travel Document for Aliens issued by these 40 countries.

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

The Thai MFA is not up to date yet. The Thai version I believe can be downloaded from the immigration police website. www.immigration.go.th under notice I believe.

So if i understand well, that mean a work permit can not be obtained from a new company under 2 years old?

2.1 In the case of business such as employment with a company or partnership, etc.: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(4) The business concerned must have duly submitted its financial statement as at the end of the two fiscal years and certified by an auditor or tax auditor, showing a sound financial condition and an on-going active business as attached order (exhibit :o

So in the case I create a new company, it s impossible to get any work permit before 2 years???

Right?

Well, the financial requirements for the one year permission to stay based on Thai Wife have been increased.

Whereas according to the old rules

"(6) In case of the applicant who is

married to a Thai wife, one of them

or both of them need to have the

total annual income that is

averaged out not less than 40,000

Baht per month. "

it is now:

"(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady :o , the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year. "

I personally know Europeans that are married to a Thai wife and receive pensions of around 800 Euros and do not have any bigger savings.

They were only eligble for the extension to stay because their Thai wifes had jobs, that generated the money to fill the gap.

Well at least for this special situation there is also a new provision to handle the emerging problems:

"If an alien who has entered Thailand before this order came into force and has been

continuously granted temporary stay as clause 2.18(6), in case the marriage with Thai lady, is

found to lack the qualifications as prescribed in this order, the Commissioner of the

Immigration Bureau or competent official shall consider and decide on the particular case

based on the prevailing reasons and circumstances within 1 year from the effective date

hereof. "

Maybe they will have a look whether the farang has already build a house in Isaan.

But in general: Thailand more and more looses interest in the average situated Farang husband of Thai wife.

P.S. Could someone tell the translators about the widely spread connotations people have with "Thai Lady" instead of "Thai Wfe", not to mention the Thai Ladyboy.

TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/30-days-Bord...57#entry2382257