New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

Well, the financial requirements for the one year permission to stay based on Thai Wife have been increased.

Whereas according to the old rules

"(6) In case of the applicant who is

married to a Thai wife, one of them

or both of them need to have the

total annual income that is

averaged out not less than 40,000

Baht per month. "

it is now:

"(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady :o , the husband who is an

alien must have an average annual income of not less than

40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank

of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses

within a year. "

I personally know Europeans that are married to a Thai wife and receive pensions of around 800 Euros and do not have any bigger savings.

They were only eligble for the extension to stay because their Thai wifes had jobs, that generated the money to fill the gap.

Well at least for this special situation there is also a new provision to handle the emerging problems:

"If an alien who has entered Thailand before this order came into force and has been

continuously granted temporary stay as clause 2.18(6), in case the marriage with Thai lady, is

found to lack the qualifications as prescribed in this order, the Commissioner of the

Immigration Bureau or competent official shall consider and decide on the particular case

based on the prevailing reasons and circumstances within 1 year from the effective date

hereof. "

Maybe they will have a look whether the farang has already build a house in Isaan.

But in general: Thailand more and more looses interest in the average situated Farang husband of Thai wife.

P.S. Could someone tell the translators about the widely spread connotations people have with "Thai Lady" instead of "Thai Wfe", not to mention the Thai Ladyboy.

In my opinion this is a big improvement for Men with Thai Wives.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents of a Thai Child are eligible for a 12 month extension with 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 Monthly income. No mention of having to be 50 years old.

That's interesting. When i went to the Thai Embassy in Singapore a couple of years ago, with birth certificates etc they blankly refused to give me a non-imm visa. They would only give me a standard 30 day tourist visa if I remember. Does this ruling mean things will be different now?

In addition with regards the 40,000 a month, is that taken as an average over the year? I mean if say your income is over a million baht for the year, but you've had a few months which come in under the 40,000 is that still applicable?

RLM

An important change (for some) to the Retirement Visa requirements as well.

The 800,000 baht only has to be in the account for 60 days for the first year (but 90 days for subsequent years if I read this right):

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days.

i don't see the age requirement for retirement visa, did i miss it?

You mist it.

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

thanks, i missed it as well.

Well, the financial requirements for the one year permission to stay based on Thai Wife have been increased.

Baht per month. "

it is now:

within a year. "

I personally know Europeans that are married to a Thai wife and receive pensions of around 800 Euros and do not have any bigger savings.

They were only eligble for the extension to stay because their Thai wifes had jobs, that generated the money to fill the gap.

Well at least for this special situation there is also a new provision to handle the emerging problems:

"If an alien who has entered Thailand before this order came into force and has been

continuously granted temporary stay as clause 2.18(6), in case the marriage with Thai lady, is

found to lack the qualifications as prescribed in this order, the Commissioner of the

Immigration Bureau or competent official shall consider and decide on the particular case

based on the prevailing reasons and circumstances within 1 year from the effective date

hereof. "

Maybe they will have a look whether the farang has already build a house in Isaan.

But in general: Thailand more and more looses interest in the average situated Farang husband of Thai wife.

P.S. Could someone tell the translators about the widely spread connotations people have with "Thai Lady" instead of "Thai Wfe", not to mention the Thai Ladyboy.

If the Thai wife would sue the government she will win. There is a famous human rights case about the same situation were husbands were treaded more favourable then wifes with a foreign spouse.

This is excellent news for all retirees over 60. From now on they only need 200 000 baht in save account or 20 000 Baht income.

This especially good news for the 60+ who their wives is deceased or had are divorced.

Sorry, you read it wrong. This option is only available to people who were already under an extension of stay based on retirement before Oct. 21 1998.

In addition with regards the 40,000 a month, is that taken as an average over the year? I mean if say your income is over a million baht for the year, but you've had a few months which come in under the 40,000 is that still applicable?

RLM

Yes it is.

2.18 - (4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married,

must be living with the family, and must be less than

20 years of age; or

2.18 - (5) In the case of a parent, one of the parents must

have an average annual income of not less than 40,000

baht per month or a money deposit of not less than

400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

I am an ALIEN PARENT living with a THAI CHILD. Even after three years of the old similar law

I still can't figure out whether (4) or (5) applies to me. If you were an alien taking care

of an aging Thai mother neither (4) nor (5) would make sense, but for me

both make sense even though they seem, gramattically, to be alternatives.

Offhand, anyone know the answer to this puzzle?

So if i understand well, that mean a work permit can not be obtained from a new company less than 2 years old?

I copy paste:

2.1 In the case of business such as employment with a company or partnership, etc.: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(4) The business concerned must have duly submitted its financial statement as at the end of the two fiscal years and certified by an auditor or tax auditor, showing a sound financial condition and an on-going active business as attached order (exhibit b

So in the case of a new company, this one can NOT have an alien as a worker in its company? So, it s impossible to get any work permit before 2 years???

Somebody have the exhibit b?

Thanks to answer me

2.18 - (4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married,

must be living with the family, and must be less than

20 years of age; or

2.18 - (5) In the case of a parent, one of the parents must

have an average annual income of not less than 40,000

baht per month or a money deposit of not less than

400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

I am an ALIEN PARENT living with a THAI CHILD. Even after three years of the old similar law

I still can't figure out whether (4) or (5) applies to me. If you were an alien taking care

of an aging Thai mother neither (4) nor (5) would make sense, but for me

both make sense even though they seem, gramattically, to be alternatives.

Offhand, anyone know the answer to this puzzle?

In your case 2.18 (5)

This is excellent news for all retirees over 60. From now on they only need 200 000 baht in save account or 20 000 Baht income.

This especially good news for the 60+ who their wives is deceased or had are divorced.

Not quite. Got to read the whole thing !

(6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21,

1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a

retiree, the following shall apply:

(a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular

income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the

previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.

( b ) If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55,

the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than 50,000 baht

So unless you've already been here 10+ years continuously, this part does not apply.

Edited by Kerryd

Sorry, you read it wrong. This option is only available to people who were already under an extension of stay based on retirement before Oct. 21 1998.

Thanks, I was too enthousiastic, so I did'nt see the restriction of 1998.

So if i understand well, that mean a work permit can not be obtained from a new company less than 2 years old?

I copy paste:

2.1 In the case of business such as employment with a company or partnership, etc.: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(4) The business concerned must have duly submitted its financial statement as at the end of the two fiscal years and certified by an auditor or tax auditor, showing a sound financial condition and an on-going active business as attached order (exhibit b

So in the case of a new company, this one can NOT have an alien as a worker in its company? So, it s impossible to get any work permit before 2 years???

Thanks to answer me

I believe its not saying you cant get a WP for a new company....Think you will find this relates to extension of stay conditions, ie you dont to leave the country and just do the 90 days reports, minumum salary conditions etc

On the previous rules the company had to 1 years audited book before you could get your extension of stay....

If I understand this right, to qualify for a Business visa, Europeans, Australians, North Americans and Japanese have to prove a monthly income of 50,000 baht (or more).

Meanwhile, people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong only have to have an income of 45,000/month. Other countries it's down to 35,000/month except for African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam, where the monthly requirement is down to just 25,000.

And the "business" must have submitted 2 years of certified financial statements (showing a sound financial condition and an ongoing active business).

Would this apply to all the "shell" companies people have registered in order to buy property ?

As far as I know that is already a requirement to get a work permit (even though it is not always enforced)

I copy paste:

Thanks to answer me

I believe its not saying you cant get a WP for a new company....Think you will find this relates to extension of stay conditions, ie you dont to leave the country and just do the 90 days reports, minumum salary conditions etc

On the previous rules the company had to 1 years audited book before you could get your extension of stay....

Yes but a staff will come from abroad with a non im visa 90 days, if we want to do the work permit on a new company for him, how come he will extend his visa for him and his wife and kid if the company is less than 2 years?

Baht per month. "

it is now:

within a year. "

hereof. "

If the Thai wife would sue the government she will win. There is a famous human rights case about the same situation were husbands were treaded more favourable then wifes with a foreign spouse.

good news

Edited by Dakhar

Most of the convo is about men who married thai women or the elderly. How about me as a tourist.

I stayed in Thailand for roughly 9 months. 2M Visa + 1M Extension, 2M Visa + 1M Extension, 3x 1M border runs. I've been in Vietnam for the last 3 month and would like to head into Thailand after this. I was thinking of heading into Cambodia to fill out my remaining 90 days leave and head into Thailand over land.

As I read it now, I will only receive a 15 day visa exemption on entry overland and not the full 30 days as before, am I correct?

If I fly from Cambodia I should recieve the full 30 day, am I correct?

Edited by j0rd

If I understand this right, to qualify for a Business visa, Europeans, Australians, North Americans and Japanese have to prove a monthly income of 50,000 baht (or more).

Meanwhile, people from South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong only have to have an income of 45,000/month. Other countries it's down to 35,000/month except for African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam, where the monthly requirement is down to just 25,000.

And the "business" must have submitted 2 years of certified financial statements (showing a sound financial condition and an ongoing active business).

Would this apply to all the "shell" companies people have registered in order to buy property ?

No.

thanks Issaan Law for the translation, looks like it may be a bit easier for us married to thai ladies, interesting on the 15 day visa run now, that will effect some expats surviving on visa runs.

thanks again

jimmyyy

Seconded! I've just spent a couple of hours reading these recent topics about rules changes - well done TV and the translator, Isaan Law, and a special thanks to all the knowledgeable mods and members who have explained the details.

And best of luck to all those who are badly affected.

:o

Most of the convo is about men who married thai women or the elderly. How about me as a tourist.

I stayed in Thailand for roughly 9 months. 2M Visa + 1M Extension, 2M Visa + 1M Extension, 3x 1M border runs. I've been in Vietnam for the last 3 month and would like to head into Thailand after this. I was thinking of heading into Cambodia to fill out my remaining 90 days leave and head into Thailand over land.

As I read it now, I will only receive a 15 day visa exemption on entry overland and not the full 30 days as before, am I correct?

If I fly from Cambodia I should recieve the full 30 day, am I correct?

It appears that you are correct.

Baht per month. "

it is now:

within a year. "

hereof. "

I wonder if he become a widower, will it still be the 400 000 rule or does he fall back on the 800 000 rule.

So what is it exactly for married men? 40.000 per month or 400.000 in bank account?

Yes. 40,000 monthly income or 400,000 Baht in a Thai Bank for 2 months before you apply.

Thanks, seems the 400K route would be more convenient.

I intend getting married soon to a Thai girl but will be spending about 4-6 months in the UK what I want to know can I apply for a marrage visa when I get back to Thailand and stay here for a year and do the 90 day visa runs

Baht per month. "

it is now:

within a year. "

hereof. "

I wonder if he become a widower, will it still be the 400 000 rule or does he fall back on the 800 000 rule.

If you Wife dies you have to look at other options.