New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any requirements on what bank to use for the 400,000 bath deposit?

No

But I would be sure to open it near to where you are living because some banks will only issue the letter from the branch where the account was opened.

The reason I am so interested in this post is that I will be applying for an extension soon. I have been here for 12 years now and most of that time was on a Non B extension done by my company. I am now retired and under 50 and after the change of law in November, I am eligible to apply for an extension based on marriage with over B400K in the bank. This is what I will be supplying for my application:

Covering Letter in Thai from wife

Passport

Signed copy of passport

TM7 application form x2 & photos

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Bank book (savings account in my name with over B400K)

Signed copy of bank book

Letter from bank

Photos of us around the house

Medical certificate

Signed copy of wife's passport

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan

Map of address

Photos of wedding

Copy of Foreign Exchange transaction form (showing funds from abroad)

Seeing I can't get a reply as to what is needed exactly, I am using all the above. I am not travelling all the way to Suan Plu, wait for an eternity and then be told that I need another document etc!! Yes, I agree that above is 'over the top', but the change of law is so recent and not many people have applied for an extension since November.

Any first hand experiences of applying since November are welcomed.

Edited by jamesjdaly

The reason I am so interested in this post is that I will be applying for an extension soon. I have been here for 12 years now and most of that time was on a Non B extension done by my company. I am now retired and under 50 and after the change of law in November, I am eligible to apply for an extension based on marriage with over B400K in the bank. This is what I will be supplying for my application:

Covering Letter in Thai from wife

Passport

Signed copy of passport

TM7 application form x2 & photos

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Bank book (savings account in my name with over B400K)

Signed copy of bank book

Letter from bank

Photos of us around the house

Medical certificate

Signed copy of wife's passport

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan

Map of address

Photos of wedding

Copy of Foreign Exchange transaction form (showing funds from abroad)

Seeing I can't get a reply as to what is needed exactly, I am using all the above. I am not travelling all the way to Suan Plu, wait for an eternity and then be told that I need another document etc!! Yes, I agree that above is 'over the top', but the change of law is so recent and not many people have applied for an extension since November.

Any first hand experiences of applying since November are welcomed.

Items in RED are definately not needed. Most offices do not require the funds to have come from abroad.

You will have to take your Wife and she will be interviewed and sign a statement. You will need a signed copy of the bank letter.

Maybe you could pin my list and then as applications roll in, we can see what is needed and where?

Example

Covering Letter in Thai from wife (Bkk, CMai, Sam, Khor, Phuk)

Medical certificate (Bkk, Phuk)

Photos of wedding (CMai, Sam, Khor)

Copy of Foreign Exchange transaction form (Bkk, CMai)

Just trying to help and clarify requirements for other people who may go for extensions as clearly Immi won't!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

Maybe you could pin my list...

Too many pinned topics would crowd the top of the screen and make it necessary to scroll down a long way until the the new topics show. In fact, I plan to reduce the existing number of pinned topics in this forum.

--

Maestro

• 1 month later...

Assistance please...

My yearly is up for renewal in June as per other years, no problem with Nong Khai, but reading the above I have a question that is playing on my mind. I've been married for nearly three years now to a Thai woman and also have a daughter with her who is 16 months old. At the moment I have a retirement visa and have to show 800,000 baht in the bank - no problem. But with the marriage visa you only have to show 400,000 baht in the Bank OR 40,000 baht a month. If I went to Loas with the family could the Thai Embassy there change this to a marriage vise for me? It would be so much easier all round if I could do this.....

Thank you

You do not have to go abroad for a change of the reason for your yearly extension. You can just ask them to extend your permission to stay based on marriage this time.

If you meet the requirements for a retirement visa you will find it easier to get an extension for this then based on marriage. An extension based on marriage requires more work for you and immigration and you will only get 30 days at first, while they check you are realy married. After 30 days you have to come back and get the rest of the year extended.

You do not have to go abroad for a change of the reason for your yearly extension. You can just ask them to extend your permission to stay based on marriage this time.

If you meet the requirements for a retirement visa you will find it easier to get an extension for this then based on marriage. An extension based on marriage requires more work for you and immigration and you will only get 30 days at first, while they check you are realy married. After 30 days you have to come back and get the rest of the year extended.

Thank you, can I do this with just 400,00 baht in the Bank and not 40,000 baht per month ?

Assistance please...

My yearly is up for renewal in June as per other years, no problem with Nong Khai, but reading the above I have a question that is playing on my mind. I've been married for nearly three years now to a Thai woman and also have a daughter with her who is 16 months old. At the moment I have a retirement visa and have to show 800,000 baht in the bank - no problem. But with the marriage visa you only have to show 400,000 baht in the Bank OR 40,000 baht a month. If I went to Loas with the family could the Thai Embassy there change this to a marriage vise for me? It would be so much easier all round if I could do this.....

Thank you

Immigration in Thailand can change your Extension of Temporary Stay from retirement to marriage when you renew in June. Laos can issue you another Non-Immigrant "O" visa. The marriage or retirement designation applies to the extension of stay you get from immigration in Thailand, not the Non-Immigrant "O" visa you get from Laos. You are confusing a visa with an extension of stay, they are not the same.

Yes, no problem. Don't forget the letter from the bank and your bank book to proof it was there for 2 months.

You will also need to take your wife with you for interview etc. bets call your immigration office to see which documents they will require.

Can I change my retirement Visa to a Marriage visa and show 400,000 baht in Bank and no monthly income, if so would Nong Khai do this or would I have to leave the country and get a new visa outside? - Thank you

No problem to change your reason of stay without leaving the country.

• 4 months later...
Maybe you could pin my list and then as applications roll in, we can see what is needed and where?

Example

Just trying to help and clarify requirements for other people who may go for extensions as clearly Immi won't!!

Hi James,

What was required and where did you extended you permission to stay?

:)

Example

Hi James,

What was required and where did you extended you permission to stay?

:)

It might help if you state on which reason you want to extend your permission to stay and where you will be applying.

Have there been any updates to these documents since last issued?

Thanks!

No.

But for the extension based on marriage most offices now require that the money is there for at least 3 months when you do a second extension. Only for the first extension do they allow the money to be there 2 months.

Have there been any updates to these documents since last issued?

Thanks!

No.

But for the extension based on marriage most offices now require that the money is there for at least 3 months when you do a second extension. Only for the first extension do they allow the money to be there 2 months.

I'm planning to use the "Statement of Income" form from the U.S. embassy. Assuming there's no problem with that?