Renewing Non Immigrant "o" Visa For Someone Under 50!

Hi all,

A previous poster asked about renewing a Non-Immgrant '0' Visa while in Chiang Mai.

I also have a Non-Immigrant '0' 1 Year Multiple Entry Visa but I am under 50 and will need to renew it soon.

All the posts were saying no problem if you are 50 or over but what about if you are under 50?

I was under the impression that the best I could do is get a 90 day extension by doing a 'border run', effectively making it a 15 month'ish Visa?

Anyone? :o

Edited by kjhbigv

I am less then 50 yrs old, married (Thai wife) for 9 years and have had several non-immigrant "O" VISA issued, mostly from Singapore, in the past. As I am currently on a non-immigrant VISA "O" multiple entry I would like to extend it from within Thailand. My VISA expires in February 09.

I don't see changes to the Non-immigrant "O" VISA other then the income must be from the husband only! However, the 400K in a Thai bank or 40 000 baht/month income I have a question towards:

400K in a Thaibank - that is clear but the 40 000 baht/month is not!

How do I document the 40K+ a month when the money is received into a foreign bank? Do I need to get a letter of proof from the embassy representing my nationality (like before)? This letter used to be enough but recently I have been told this letter must be stamped my MFA in BKK for approval, does that still apply?

Can anybody produce a "step by step guide" based on their own experience having extended their non-immigrant "O" VISA from within Thailand? My VISA expires in February 09.

Many thanks!

I am less then 50 yrs old, married (Thai wife) for 9 years and have had several non-immigrant "O" VISA issued, mostly from Singapore, in the past. As I am currently on a non-immigrant VISA "O" multiple entry I would like to extend it from within Thailand. My VISA expires in February 09.

I don't see changes to the Non-immigrant "O" VISA other then the income must be from the husband only! However, the 400K in a Thai bank or 40 000 baht/month income I have a question towards:

400K in a Thaibank - that is clear but the 40 000 baht/month is not!

How do I document the 40K+ a month when the money is received into a foreign bank? Do I need to get a letter of proof from the embassy representing my nationality (like before)? This letter used to be enough but recently I have been told this letter must be stamped my MFA in BKK for approval, does that still apply?

Can anybody produce a "step by step guide" based on their own experience having extended their non-immigrant "O" VISA from within Thailand? My VISA expires in February 09.

Many thanks!

Yes a letter from your Embassy. No need for MFK verification.

Within the last 30 days of your permission to stay go to Immigration.

Take with you, Passport, Letter from Embassy, Bank Book with some money in it. Wife to be interviewed, Wife,s ID Card and House Registration Book, A map showing the way to your home, some photos of you and your Wife in and around your home, Application Form, 1,900 Baht Fee.

You will be given a 1 month Under Consideration Stamp. Go back in a Month to get the remaining months.

Application Form.

Due to my work rotation (2 months on / 2 months off) I will possible not be in Thailand when the current VISA expires: my question>

Can the new VISA be issued before the old visa expires?

Are you talking about your current multiple O or the extension that has been suggested.

If it's your visa you could still get it done by entering on a visa exempt entry and then doing a change of visa status based upon marriage at immigration. You would need to start the process as soon as you arrive because of the 21 days remaining on your entry rule.

When you get your 1 year extension you will need to apply for a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that would allow you to leave and re-enter for as long as your extension is valid.

Later if you are not going to be here when your extension is going to expire you can get it done early if you explain to them your problem.

Remember the 30 day wait after applying for the extension because you will be in a visa/extension limbo situation and it could be a problem leaving during that period of time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Due to my work rotation (2 months on / 2 months off) I will possible not be in Thailand when the current VISA expires: my question>

Can the new VISA be issued before the old visa expires?

Are you talking about your current multiple O or the extension that has been suggested.

If it's your visa you could still get it done by entering on a visa exempt entry and then doing a change of visa status based upon marriage at immigration. You would need to start the process as soon as you arrive because of the 21 days remaining on your entry rule.

When you get your 1 year extension you will need to apply for a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) that would allow you to leave and re-enter for as long as your extension is valid.

Later if you are not going to be here when your extension is going to expire you can get it done early if you explain to them your problem.

Remember the 30 day wait after applying for the extension because you will be in a visa/extension limbo situation and it could be a problem leaving during that period of time.

Thanks for information,

I will arrive 20th December 2008 and depart approx 15th Feb 2009 (before my current VISA expires).

I will need to apply for an extention and from what I understand this must be done asap as there is a 30 day process time! This is why I have previously done it in Singapore as it takes only 24 hours to get a muliply entry!!

But, since I need a VISA to get back from work (one-way ticket) and since the current VISA don't expire before I depart (VISA in Singapore will only be given after expiry of current VISA) I must look at options and extending the VISA within Thailand is now my aim.

Failing to do the multple entry I will get a re-entry permit this time (time consideration)

My worry is still how to produce a document of income, I have the figures required but previous experience with the immigration in Thailand was so difficult that I went to Singapore and did it there, came back the next day with a new VISA!

The problem that time was that the immigration in Jomtien demanded the letter I already had from the embassy stating my income (with a copy of my wageslip in English!)had to be stamped and apporved by The Ministry Of Foreign Affears in Bangkok. Since they could not give my any procedure or time it would take and that I had to sit home and wait for the immigration to verify that I lived at home with my wife pluss to produce a picture of the place I lived I simply could not bother spending all that time knowning I would get my needed VISA in Singapore from one day to the other! This is the VISA which is now expire.

I hope to apply for the extention is not too difficult.......but my hopes are not to high on just that!

Thanks for information,

I will arrive 20th December 2008 and depart approx 15th Feb 2009 (before my current VISA expires).

I will need to apply for an extention and from what I understand this must be done asap as there is a 30 day process time! This is why I have previously done it in Singapore as it takes only 24 hours to get a muliply entry!!

But, since I need a VISA to get back from work (one-way ticket) and since the current VISA don't expire before I depart (VISA in Singapore will only be given after expiry of current VISA) I must look at options and extending the VISA within Thailand is now my aim.

Failing to do the multple entry I will get a re-entry permit this time (time consideration)

My worry is still how to produce a document of income, I have the figures required but previous experience with the immigration in Thailand was so difficult that I went to Singapore and did it there, came back the next day with a new VISA!

The problem that time was that the immigration in Jomtien demanded the letter I already had from the embassy stating my income (with a copy of my wageslip in English!)had to be stamped and apporved by The Ministry Of Foreign Affears in Bangkok. Since they could not give my any procedure or time it would take and that I had to sit home and wait for the immigration to verify that I lived at home with my wife pluss to produce a picture of the place I lived I simply could not bother spending all that time knowning I would get my needed VISA in Singapore from one day to the other! This is the VISA which is now expire.

I hope to apply for the extention is not too difficult.......but my hopes are not to high on just that!

You can get an extension your next trip in on the 20th.

You don't have to take the letter to the Ministry of Forign Affairs any more. Just get the letter from the Embassy. You should have plenty of time to get it done.

The wait time is 30 days now after applying. Just take the photos and that should be it. You need to have your wife go with you because she will need to do an interview. They seldom make the home visit now.

You will have to explain to immigration why you need to apply for your extension early because they normally say to do it within the last 30 days of your permit to stay. If it is Jomtien you should not have a problem because they have made statements that you can do it as much as 60 days early.

Edited by ubonjoe

If under fifty the only way to get a 1 year extension is if you are married to a Thai or have a child with a Thai mother.

I don't know how correct that is because I've got a 1 year extension on my non-imm "O" and I am NOT married to a THAI, nor do I have a child with a thai mother.

If under fifty the only way to get a 1 year extension is if you are married to a Thai or have a child with a Thai mother.

I don't know how correct that is because I've got a 1 year extension on my non-imm "O" and I am NOT married to a THAI, nor do I have a child with a thai mother.

Generally Joe's advise is correct.

Would you like to explain on what grounds your one year extension was granted??

I can think of a couple of reasons:

1. Having a job and a Work Permit.

2. Being an Ordained Monk

but they do not apply to an O visa.