Jet Set Visa Runs? 30 Days For The Fly Ins?

Checking out the new rules on visa runs, some posters are saying:

-- flying in from neighboring countries gives you 30 days if you come from a 30 day passport country (as opposed to 15 days using a LAND border)

-- the 90 day counting rule in a 6 month period is abolished

Are both of these really true, really confirmed?

So now it is OK and possible to just fly in and fly out of Malaysia, Laos, or Cambodia every month, and get 12 30 day stamps, indefinitely?

Edited by Jingthing

Checking out the new rules on visa runs, some posters are saying:

-- flying in from neighboring countries gives you 30 days if you come from a 30 day passport country (as opposed to 15 days using a LAND border)

-- the 90 day counting rule in a 6 month period is abolished

Are both of these really true, really confirmed?

So now it is OK and possible to just fly in and fly out of Malaysia, Laos, or Cambodia every month, and get 12 30 day stamps, indefinitely?

Early days but that is the way it looks.

From all the information I have seen the answer is yes.

But why would anybody do it. I checked this morning for a flight to KL on the 6th of January round trip is 4,365 baht on Air Asia. That's a little over 13,000 baht for 3 months. You could fly spend one night and get a single entry tourist visa in KL and come out way ahead cost wise.

But why would anybody do it. I checked this morning for a flight to KL on the 6th of January round trip is 4,365 baht on Air Asia. That's a little over 13,000 baht for 3 months. You could fly spend one night and get a single entry tourist visa in KL and come out way ahead cost wise.

Why?

Easy.

The embassies may start declining tourist visas if they see too many stamps/tourist visas in your passport.

Also, it beats taking land border trips every two weeks unless you live on the border.

Also, some people really love Malaysian food!

Given as they have now facilitated a new way to stay indefinitely in Thailand on 30 day stamps, be careful with the amateur psychology attempts as to the TRUE MOTIVATIONS behind any immigration changes.

For people who say there is no way for people with money, under 50, no Thai business, and no spouse to stay legally in Thailand, well not exactly. You can do visa runs (well maybe) or you can do the ED visa.

Now I will wait 5 minutes for someone to say doing 12 annual visa runs is "abusive". If they scrapped the day counting rule, what is "abusive" about it exactly?

Edited by Jingthing

I did a little math using info from Jacks golf website and flying is is cheaper than doing two border runs a month.

I think most people will use a little common sense and be getting tourist visas as long as they can.

Me I can just stay here at home and be happy I have a 1 year extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

I think most people will use a little common sense and be getting tourist visas as long as they can.

I agree with you joe, but bear in mind the 90 day people could also use such charter flights - could this be the end of 8 hour bus trips?

Why?

Easy.

The embassies may start declining tourist visas if they see too many stamps/tourist visas in your passport.

Also, it beats taking land border trips every two weeks unless you live on the border.

Also, some people really love Malaysian food!

Given as they have now facilitated a new way to stay indefinitely in Thailand on 30 day stamps, be careful with the amateur psychology attempts as to the TRUE MOTIVATIONS behind any immigration changes.

For people who say there is no way for people with money, under 50, no Thai business, and no spouse to stay legally in Thailand, well not exactly. You can do visa runs (well maybe) or you can do the ED visa.

Now I will wait 5 minutes for someone to say doing 12 annual visa runs is "abusive". If they scrapped the day counting rule, what is "abusive" about it exactly?

Assuming the cheapest out of country flight is 4,365 baht return and stays that way for a year, that would cost me 4,365 x 12 = 52,380 baht per year plus the cost of getting to Swampy and back (pattaya) x 12. Even if I taxi'ed one way and bus'ed the other way (early morning flights are too early for bus connections) that would be (900 x 12) + (150 x 12) = 12,600. That would total a minimum of 64,980 per annum not including any other incidentals usually involved with international flight such as paying exhorbitant prices for airport food.

I suppose 65k per annum is doable for some, but I wouldn't stay here if it cost that much to stay. An education visa would start looking very good at this stage.

Fortunately we're still able to get tourist visas nearby, so we still have options. Who knows for how long???

Assuming the cheapest out of country flight is 4,365 baht return and stays that way for a year, that would cost me 4,365 x 12 = 52,380 baht per year plus the cost of getting to Swampy and back (pattaya) x 12. Even if I taxi'ed one way and bus'ed the other way (early morning flights are too early for bus connections) that would be (900 x 12) + (150 x 12) = 12,600. That would total a minimum of 64,980 per annum not including any other incidentals usually involved with international flight such as paying exhorbitant prices for airport food.

I suppose 65k per annum is doable for some, but I wouldn't stay here if it cost that much to stay. An education visa would start looking very good at this stage.

Fortunately we're still able to get tourist visas nearby, so we still have options. Who knows for how long???

I agree with you. And the cost of doing a border run every 15 days is going to be the same or more than a ticket.

They want people to get visas instead of doing border/air runs.

The people they are targeting are those working without work permits. Can they easily take days off to get a visa and are they going to spend the money for border runs every 15 days or a monthly air run.

If you are working and get a work permit you can get a 1 year extesnion or a multiple entry visa. With a visa it's every 90 days to the border.

For people who are relying on the border runs, Im sure that the Visa Shops will soon come up with what to do with these new rules and will start offering some kind of package. If not - they will loose business, as Visa runs every 15 days is getting a bit OTT.

At times like this I'm very thankful for my Non-Immigrant O.. Good luck to all those depending on the visa runs.

.............What's it gonna be next? Sheesh...

Is the Elite card starting to look attractive yet ?

I’ve a 5 year Visa in my passport – That works out at 16,700 B per month over 5 years...

(1 MB at time of purchase).

And for that I get free golf, free massage, free airport transfers...And a renewed 5 year visa every 5 years for the rest of my life (granted...if the program does indeed survive)