Meeting New Friends In Bkk

mkstyle

Hi

I'm a boy 24 years old and about to move to Bangkok for a traniee job. I know nobody i Bangkok and was wondering where I could meet young people like me. I know there is a tread for ladies but i'm a boy, i don't care if I meet boys or girls. I just need somebody to hang around with in this big city. Do you know any forums or web pages or what I could do to meet new friends here in bangkok.

Thank you

Martin :o

Hi

I'm a boy 24 years old and about to move to Bangkok for a traniee job. I know nobody i Bangkok and was wondering where I could meet young people like me. I know there is a tread for ladies but i'm a boy, i don't care if I meet boys or girls. I just need somebody to hang around with in this big city. Do you know any forums or web pages or what I could do to meet new friends here in bangkok.

Thank you

Just get on the BTS train and go to Patpong/Nana Entertainment Plaza/Soi Cowboy (get off at Sala Daeng/Nana/Asok) and you will surely get new acquaintances.

Fortunately, all those places are linked by the Skytrain, so you don't have to worry about the traffic jams.

Don't listen to the advice above. Do yourself a favour and Google for clubs and associations in Bangkok that are of interest to you. Hanging out in a bar will only get you involved with the wrong crowd (and I'm saying this as a bar owner). You are young and you should develop lasting relationships now. Stay away from the bargirl scene and meet friends who share you interests.

Edited by Rabeang

Hi

Thank you

I think there would be plenty of young ladies who might be interested in bonding with a first visit long timer youngster such as yourself. I think that lack of company may be the least of your worries, but that your moral compass and bank balance could be sorely checked. Sore is an adjective that might also be used to describe a certain part of your anatomy too.

Just get on the BTS train and go to Patpong/Nana Entertainment Plaza/Soi Cowboy (get off at Sala Daeng/Nana/Asok) and you will surely get new acquaintances.

Fortunately, all those places are linked by the Skytrain, so you don't have to worry about the traffic jams.

Nice.... what so he can make friends with a bunch of fat old men and hookers? Ya...... that's a swell idea. Honestly I think most of you here really don't have a clue what life is like outside the ho buying lifestyle.

Yeah i will defiantly not go to nana and meet hookers and old men that only are interested in one thing. But to you other guys thanks for the advice. I was just thinking of what do all the young foreigners do that have accepted a job in BKK do they not have some kind of gathering or meeting? I mean some how to contact them? And what about thai people how can I find good thai people to hang around with?

If you are seeking ex-pat friends in Thailand, I doubt whether you will be successful.

1. There are no ex-pat communities in Thailand.

2. Many you may meet on your travels will either ignore you completely or even greet you with a rude hostile stare.

3. The so called ex-pat social clubs that are few and far, are more often attended by the elderly and coffin dodgers

4. Others you may meet in bars can be iffy and best avoided.

There are lots of very nice sociable Thai people you could meet, but you would have to speak at least some basic Thai as many, especially in the outer villages do not speak English.

You could enrol and attend a Thai language class, where you may meet other Farangs in similar situations as yourself, plus if you learn Thai, will make it easier for you to interact with Thai people.

Edited by sassienie

Hi

Thank you

For high youthful jinks and matey conversations, why not try the Offshore Bar,and to meet nice girls give the Beer Garden Soi 7 a try, but be sure to pick the right night as many of the girls don't like to miss their crochet and flower arranging classes.

The groups suggestion is a good idea. Find a group with your shared interests and join it.

If you just want to go an hang out and see what happens, try Koh San. I got there to get my massage and exchange money, and while I am a little old for Koh San's social scene, I have spoken on occassion to young people there and can see the general tone there. While most of the people there are visitors, there still are a number of expats--students, nannies, people whose job has taken them here, etc.--and they go to Koh San to mingle, meet, dance, get a massage, eat, whatever. There are also Thais who either want to practice English or to find foreign friends (ranging from casual to romantic).

Edited by bonobo

you mean Khao Sarn Rd.?

yes u should walk along the road after the mid. then see what is happening.

and be careful of the girls-wanna-be in short and too tight outfits

Can't say that I go there much after midnight, but from 8 or 9 until about midnight, there are a lot of people sitting and eating or drinking, and the clubs seem to be hopping. I know many nannies who go there regularly to club as well.

My masseuse once asked me to help out one of her customers, a Portugese girl who as having trouble with her ATM. I helped her out (and she repaid me later when her ATM problem was fixed) and in conversation, she was very enthusiastic about the fun she had there and the people (well, young men mainly) she met while there.

As far a girls-wanna-bes, who cares? Unless they can somehow force you into a conversation or something more intimate, I don't see how they can be a bother. Just ignore them if that is your predilection.

you mean Khao Sarn Rd.?

yes u should walk along the road after the mid. then see what is happening.

and be careful of the girls-wanna-be in short and too tight outfits

Can't say that I go there much after midnight, but from 8 or 9 until about midnight, there are a lot of people sitting and eating or drinking, and the clubs seem to be hopping. I know many nannies who go there regularly to club as well.

My masseuse once asked me to help out one of her customers, a Portugese girl who as having trouble with her ATM. I helped her out (and she repaid me later when her ATM problem was fixed) and in conversation, she was very enthusiastic about the fun she had there and the people (well, young men mainly) she met while there.

As far a girls-wanna-bes, who cares? Unless they can somehow force you into a conversation or something more intimate, I don't see how they can be a bother. Just ignore them if that is your predilection.

How did she repay you? :o

Kao san rd seems to me is more for back packers, or those who are not staying that long in Bangkok. I have been in Bangkok before, and I can also speak a little thai. I think that the thai language class is a good idea, but if want to find thai friends are there some special places I could go? And that beer garden at soi 7 is that some kind of meeting point where you can get people to know?

Kao san rd seems to me is more for back packers, or those who are not staying that long in Bangkok. I have been in Bangkok before, and I can also speak a little thai. I think that the thai language class is a good idea, but if want to find thai friends are there some special places I could go? And that beer garden at soi 7 is that some kind of meeting point where you can get people to know?

:o Oh, I'm sure you'll meet some nice people in there. :D

On a serious note, if you play sport then maybe joinm one of the Sports Clubs like Southerners which have Rugby, Cricket, Football, Netball and Touch Rugby teams.

For groups have a look at the Bangkok Young Professionals (BYP) website, they have networking events, which are a good place to meet people.