Emergency Passport Validity

Hi, my passport was stolen with (validity to January 2011).  I went straight to Aus embassy and got an emergency passport issued (validity to 13 June 2009).

Immigration issued me with a stamp for one month in the new passport as there was no record of an exit/entry from Mae Sai in the system, activating my 2nd entry on double entry TR from Vientiene (even though I did have a copy of Vientiene visa, and the departure card). Anyway to cut a long story short, and luckily for me,  the original passport got handed into the embassy. Went back to immigration and had the correct entry stamp transferred to new passport which expires 3 Jan 2009.

My concern is, I would like to apply for 30 days extension at immigration paying 1900baht. Will this be a problem at immigration with the new temp passport only being valid until 13 June 2009?. Also it only has three blank pages in it (I plan to stop off in Hong Kong for a few days on return to Australia?).

To apply for a new passport now I am concerned about delay with Xmas hols coming up and from what I understand from aus embassy website would have to produce birth certificate etc. Have tried to call the embassy about this and left messages for someone to call back but I guess they are busy with backlog of mail or whatever.   Would I have to carry three passports with me? 

Advice? tks

You said first that emergency passport expired in June and then a new temp passport in January you lost me there.

Did they cancel out your old passport and so you only have the emergnecy/temp passport(s)?

Immigration would do the extention. The 6 month rule on is only when you enter. But which passport are you going to use the January dated one or the June one.

You should not need a birth certificate because you already have a passport to show.

Edited by ubonjoe

You said first that emergency passport expired in June and then a new temp passport in January you lost me there.

Did they cancel out your old passport and so you only have the emergnecy/temp passport(s)?

Immigration would do the extention. The 6 month rule on is only when you enter. But which passport are you going to use the January dated one or the June one.

You should not need a birth certificate because you already have a passport to show.

Thank you for your quick response ubonjoe.  Apologies for the confusion. Oh Lordy,  I am so confused myself over this I am getting a migraine!

To clarify:

1. Original passport expires 18 Jan 2011.

2. Emergency Passport expires 13 Jun 2009.

You brought up a good point as to whether the original passport has even been cancelled. I dont think it has. No cut off corners, or cancelled stamps etc. Will front up at the embassy to check this. Is it legal to have two valid passports with different numbers?

The officer at immigration told me I must show both passports original and emergency. New Emergency passport  (2009) has one full page of corrected entry stamp with crossing out/numbers all over it and immigration officer's signature.

If my original passport  (2011) is still valid do you think immigration would be OK about putting the extension 30 days in it? This would be the better option as I am not sure about entry stamp to Hong Kong with less than six months using the emergency passport.

tks

You need some info from the embassy. If they did not mark it does not mean they did not put out a message saying it was stolen or lost. But they might of cancelled the message when it was returned.

Some countries will issue two passports to one person for special reasons so its probably ok.

I think immigration would move the stamps for you.

Hi Ubonjoe

I checked with the embassy and no my original stolen (that got returned) passport was not cancelled but they did cancel it in two seconds flat while I was there and gave it back to me. OK fine.

Oh wait! there's more............................

My plan was now to go to Suan Phlu immigration with both passports and apply for the last 30 day extension on the double entry tourist visa. I just read the following quote from KamnanT dated 11/2008. "valid visa in an expired/cancelled passport is OK as long as you have a valid replacement passport".

The entry stamp in the replacement passport is 3rd January 2009. So I understand I would need to go before this date to apply for extension.  My concern now is the replacement passport expires 13 June 2009. I just calculated 5 months and 18 days, oh hel_l, just short of six months. I had planned to apply for a renewal passport once I get home (re cost etc)

I have a one way ticket back to OZ booked on 25th Jan.  Could change this and bring it forward 10 days or so.  Even applying for a new passport tomorrow I am not confident it will even be completed before 3rd Jan. I have to apply for a copy of birth certificate etc first. What do you think????

many thanks