Penang Visa

First time posting so hope i have the correct topic. I arrived from London in Bangkok mid November getting the 30 day stamp in my passport. I fly out of Bangkok early November. I had intended to fly to Penang this weekend to get a 60 day tourist visa and then get the bus north to Phuket. The local Airasia office would not sell me a one way ticket, only return. They said i could buy a one way ticket on the internet or at the airport. I have not purchased any travel ticket for my departure from Malaysia. This is what concerns me. When i try to board the plane will i get hassle because i have no onward travel planned from Malaysia or if not will i get hasslle from Malaysian immigration? I don't want to pay out for a return trip. I intend to purchase a bus ticket north after i receive my visa. Any advice would be appreciated.

First time posting so hope i have the correct topic. I arrived from London in Bangkok mid November getting the 30 day stamp in my passport. I fly out of Bangkok early November. I had intended to fly to Penang this weekend to get a 60 day tourist visa and then get the bus north to Phuket. The local Airasia office would not sell me a one way ticket, only return. They said i could buy a one way ticket on the internet or at the airport. I have not purchased any travel ticket for my departure from Malaysia. This is what concerns me. When i try to board the plane will i get hassle because i have no onward travel planned from Malaysia or if not will i get hasslle from Malaysian immigration? I don't want to pay out for a return trip. I intend to purchase a bus ticket north after i receive my visa. Any advice would be appreciated.

Further to my previous post. I fly out fo Bangkok in early February 2009!

Further to my previous post. I fly out fo Bangkok in early February 2009!

Technically the airline can refuse you entry to the flight if you do not have an onward ticket within 60 days of entry. This does happen on occasions.

Probably why they would not sell you a single ticket.

I opened a new topic for you.

You will need a return or onward ticket to board your flight to Malaysia.

This from the follwoing IATA website via Delta: http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_webs...ubuser=DELTAB2C

- onward/return ticket.

- If not holding onward/return ticket, passenger will be

requested to purchase one.

I used the UK as your citizenship. You can change that by going to this link.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Edited by ubonjoe

I have flown to Malaysia numerous times on one-way tickets, mainly with AirAsia, and have never had a problem with airline check-in staff or with Malaysian immigrations. At worst, I have been asked how long I intend on staying in Malaysia.

Edit - For what it's worth, if you don't want to take the bus, Firefly flies Penang-Phuket nonstop and to my knowledge are the only airline to offer this flight.

Edited by ovenman