Report Of My Retirement Extension Today

I went for my 1st retirement extension at the CM Immigration office. I used the US Consulate letter of 65,000baht monthly income as proof. They asked a copy of the passport, visa, departure card, and the 90 entry stamp which I brought with me. The officer apparently didn't like that I had my "O" visa and entry stamp on separate pages so he had me make another copy that included both of them on the same page. I was a bit surprised by a couple of the questions he asked me, such as, what I did in the US, my job title, and how much I made. Except for the additional copy, everything went smooth.

I got to the CM immigration office 8:25AM and was the 6th person to sign in. I am not sure where I got the idea that this would take less than an hour. I didn't get called until after 10:00AM and got out at about 11:15. I am happy that there were no surprises (this time).

I want to thank all those who were nice enough to help me in preparing for this.

Vagabond

What - it only took about 3 hours? I did the same in BKK today - got my ticket about 10.30 am, sat around for about 1h, then went off on the sky train to do shopping and get lunch. Returned home for a nap, then went back at about 2pm. Still had to wait about 1h then all the paperwork took another 1h. was out by 4pm.

Of course unless, I told them I was a US senator or CEO, COO or CFO of multi billion dollar US (nameless) corporation (ie: Microsoft, GE or IBM etc.) making $1000k+ a year, you could tell them just about anything, since no names are mentioned and my information would not easily be verifiable unless they get access to my IRS data. :o

What - it only took about 3 hours? I did the same in BKK today - got my ticket about 10.30 am, sat around for about 1h, then went off on the sky train to do shopping and get lunch. Returned home for a nap, then went back at about 2pm. Still had to wait about 1h then all the paperwork took another 1h. was out by 4pm.

No smiley, so I'm not sure if you're ribbing me.

On the remote possibility you're serious, if I got there at 10:30AM, considering the number of people that were there, I probably would have had time to eat lunch in BKK and return to CM in time for them to call me too. :o

To-day at Korat immigration, 4th extension long stay(retirement)

TM7 + pic

Bank letter stating balance

Copy bank book (last 3 months)

copy passport

copy TM6 (arrival/derparture card)

1900 baht (gave 200 and received 100 back)

single re-entry

TM8 plus pic

copy passport first page plus the page with the new extension

1000 baht

20 minutes work.

Nice smile and "see you back in 10 days" (that's my 90 days report :o )

:D:D

Edited by dutch

I went for my 1st retirement extension at the CM Immigration office. I used the US Consulate letter of 65,000baht monthly income as proof. They asked a copy of the passport, visa, departure card, and the 90 entry stamp which I brought with me. The officer apparently didn't like that I had my "O" visa and entry stamp on separate pages so he had me make another copy that included both of them on the same page. I was a bit surprised by a couple of the questions he asked me, such as, what I did in the US, my job title, and how much I made. Except for the additional copy, everything went smooth.

Vagabond

thanks for the report. Immigration didn't ask for any bank book copies?

I got to the CM immigration office 8:25AM and was the 6th person to sign in. I am not sure where I got the idea that this would take less than an hour. I didn't get called until after 10:00AM and got out at about 11:15. I am happy that there were no surprises (this time).

I want to thank all those who were nice enough to help me in preparing for this.

Vagabond

Got my extension on Monday in Pattaya the only question that I was asked well my GF was asked was how much my rent was

thanks for the report. Immigration didn't ask for any bank book copies?

Although I have a bank account with limited emergency funds, my retirement extension is based on 65k/month income and does not "officially" require a bank account until they ignore the requirements and ask for one.

Got my extension on Monday in Pattaya the only question that I was asked well my GF was asked was how much my rent was

He also asked how much my rent was and based on his subtle facial expression, I think he was surprised how little I paid. He was probably wondering how I could possibly spend the minimum 65k a month. :o

He also asked how much my rent was and based on his subtle facial expression, I think he was surprised how little I paid. He was probably wondering how I could possibly spend the minimum 65k a month. :o

There is of course absolutely no requirement whatsoever to TRANSFER in the full 65K or SPEND that full amount in Thailand.

There is of course absolutely no requirement whatsoever to TRANSFER in the full 65K or SPEND that full amount in Thailand.

I realize that. I was just speculating on what was behind his facial expression while he was busy stamping away at all those documents.

Agreed.

Spend as much or as little as you like.

Immigration just wants to know that you can support yourself.

Agreed.

Spend as much or as little as you like.

Immigration just wants to know that you can support yourself.

As I wrote, I am well aware of that. They just want you to have more than 3 to 5 times (my wild guess) the income a typical middle class Thai might have.

Anyway, I am fortunate and blessed to have more than the required monthly income that I don't seem to desire to spend (yet) in the LOS. :o:D

Yes, the last twice I have been it's taken 5hours from entering to leaving! Other years I was in and out in a little over 1hour. Does anyone know what's changed for it to take it so long now? :o

If you listen to the questions immigration ask they are not so stupid. They revolve around checking that what you have told them is true without actually asking you.

What job did you do? - gives an idea as to whether you actually have the pension you claim, especially if the US consulate simple takes your word for it.

My daughter is bad at English and needs some tuition. Do you know anyone? - Are you working on a retirement visa.

How much is your rent? - are you actually living where you say?

I treat the idle chit chat as a test to ensure that my application in genuine.

If you listen to the questions immigration ask they are not so stupid. They revolve around checking that what you have told them is true without actually asking you.

I treat the idle chit chat as a test to ensure that my application in genuine.

I don't believe anyone said the questions were stupid. The issue regarding the questions is that most of the answers that "can" be given cannot really be corroborated. I don't get a pension and even though the consulate letter of proof does not indicate the source of monthly income, he never asked where it comes from. He might have gotten suspicious if I told him my salary had been under $20K/annually when I retired. I gave him an annual figure that was high enough that might have made him suspicious as well but he didn't press me further.

I didn't consider it idle chit chat since he wrote down all that I said including my last salary in bahts.

I was a bit surprised by a couple of the questions he asked me, such as, what I did in the US, my job title, and how much I made.

Checking for ex-CIA officers I expect. :o

They never ask if I am retired IRS auditor. Never have been asked by Immigration my past occupations. Quite the opposite of Alice in Wonderland, things get less and less curiouser. On my last renewal, they never even asked if I liked Thai women or Thai food, which was lucky.

Vagabond

I also renewed my retirement visa on the 11th at CM Immigration... my 2nd time for a renewal.....it was very crowded I guess because they were closed the previous day for the consitutional holiday. Arrived at 10.30 ..attended to at 1.15.

The officer did require further copies from my passport that were not required the previous year...dispite a copy of the arrival card he also wanted a copy of the visa re-entrystamp. He also wanted a copy of the bank book dispite having the Banks letter confirming the deposit. He didnt like that the letter was dated 11 Dec but my last withdraw was 25 Nov although the ammount on deposit was the same sum...so another trip to the photocopy hut. He then mislaid my bank book and after much searching he found it on the floor behind his desk.

However,he was eventualy satisfied and at 2.15 I was freed to remain here for another year.

I also renewed my retirement visa on the 11th at CM Immigration... my 2nd time for a renewal.....it was very crowded I guess because they were closed the previous day for the consitutional holiday. Arrived at 10.30 ..attended to at 1.15.

However,he was eventualy satisfied and at 2.15 I was freed to remain here for another year.

Considering you came during the middle of a very busy morning, your wait time was only 1 hour longer than mine.