Know Anywhere Nice For A Posh Dinner?

1unique

My Parents are visiting this week, I want to take them for a nice dinner and wine.

Any ideas where the best place is? My Budget is 5k for 4 People inc Wine.

Crazy Daves on Soi Chayapoon....Only joking.....

How about Ruen Thai opposite Royal Garden Mall on 2nd Road, with live traditional Thai dancing after 8.00pm. 1,000 baht per head but wine extra and expensive, so check the wine list before you order a bottle.... But 5K should cover it for 4 persons unless you are Mr Creosote..!! :o

Edited by syd barrett

I took some guests to Ruen Thai once and found the food to be quite mediocre (ok, it was crap) and feel the place is a "tourist trap." If you want to take them to experience Thai, how about Siam Elephant at the Siam Bayshore Hotel. Nice atmosphere and can "tour" Walking Street afterwards if appropriate.

For farang, that old standby of Mata Hari is great for French/Continental food...also Casa Pascal in the same vein accross from Royal Garden on 2nd Road. Gian's Italian on the way to Jomtien is good Italian.

I have had personally bad experiences (confirmed by others) for the past couple years for Brunos so I can't recommend them (a shame really that the place has gone down hill).

Anyway, that's a few places that are in your budget.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I took some guests to Ruen Thai once and found the food to be quite mediocre (ok, it was crap) and feel the place is a "tourist trap."

I think that that is a bit harsh.

I have never had 'crap' food at Ruen Thai.

I agree the dancing is there to attract tourists, but not, that the restaurant is a 'tourist-trap'.

When it gets really busy, service can be sluggish but I suspect that you might be basing your opinion on just a solitary visit and not the scores of visits I have made during the last nine years.

You mentioned Casa Pascal. That is absolutely a place I would avoid, even if they were offering a free dinner. There have been threads about that place on Thai Visa. Do a search!

I think that my comments are more valid than yours because I live just outside Pattaya, and have not just joined Thai-Visa less than one month ago---- (again).

Ruen Thai is definitely for tourists. Very dumbed down Thai food. Locals would generally only go there when dragged along by visiting friends/family, mostly for the tourist dance show.

May I suggest some nice French food instead:

http://www.auboncoinpattaya.com/

Not on the baht bus routes though. I think no problem for your budget.

Edited by Jingthing

Two places that I recommend are:

Ocean Marina Yacht Club Captain's Table restaurant. A real class act and good food. Beautiful views in every direction and incredible service, excellent parking;

or

Au Bon Coin. Excellent French country (Midi) cooking but a devil to get into because of popularity. Difficult to find as well but worth the hunt. Terrible parking.

Edited by Navalator

YES Fench (BISTRO) food is exactly what I am looking for, NOT Tourist Thai. I huess I should have been more specific..

I will check all of these places out, Auboncoin sounds good IM looking for something Cosy and with a nice ambiance.

They are here for a few weeks so i will have time to take them to all the places mentioned on here, but not Touristy ones.

Thanks

^^ I would consider both Ruen Thai and the Jazz pit as tourist oriented, the food is bland!

But, both places have a good ambiance and i doubt very much your parents would enjoy authentic Thai food, so probably worth a visit along with Cabbages and .... whatever it is called now.

Mantra / Rhuen / PIC all ok.... Course they are geared for tourists as thats where the £ is.......

I think you should never criticise unless you can bring a better example to the table.... So for those who comdemn where is better where the man can get authentic Thai at the propper strength flavour etc?? As I wanna try it too

:o:D:D

If you are looking for cozy French food, I would also recommend Chez George on Third Road between Central and South roads. Nice ambiance, French owner and even French speaking Thai staff, great food, not expensive for quality of food (it's off the tourist track and almost all clientèle locals...and always filled with French folks so must be authentic).

I took some guests to Ruen Thai once and found the food to be quite mediocre (ok, it was crap) and feel the place is a "tourist trap."

I think that that is a bit harsh. I have never had 'crap' food at Ruen Thai. I think that my comments are more valid than yours because I live just outside Pattaya...

You are correct my impression was based on a single visit...but when I go to a restaurant and the food is crappy, I generally don't go back. I was surprised because I had heard the place was good so that's why I went. I am glad your experience has been better than mine.

I think anyone's opinions are valid...as long as they are based on their own dining experiences and not hearsay.

FYI: I have lived in LOS for a decade, the last 6 years in Patters, and I actually live in Pattaya, not outside it :o

Mantra / Rhuen / PIC all ok.... Course they are geared for tourists as thats where the £ is.......

I think you should never criticise unless you can bring a better example to the table.... So for those who comdemn where is better where the man can get authentic Thai at the propper strength flavour etc?? As I wanna try it too

For Thai, Issan, Vietnamese, Chinese & European fare, try Vientiane Restaurant towards the Sukhumvit end of Pattaya Tai Road, right side as you head towards Sukhumvit, off Soi Korpai 1.

Edited by NanLaew

YES Fench (BISTRO) food is exactly what I am looking for, NOT Tourist Thai. I huess I should have been more specific..

I will check all of these places out, Auboncoin sounds good IM looking for something Cosy and with a nice ambiance.

They are here for a few weeks so i will have time to take them to all the places mentioned on here, but not Touristy ones.

Thanks

I saw this place advertised recently Cafe Des Amis its on the Tappaya Rd I recall from the ad.

I will see if i can dig out the contact details later for you, it was in one of the local newspapers I think. I haven't tried it myself.

I can also recommend Au Boin Coin I have been there many times Jose is a great host and chef.

For Thai, Issan, Vietnamese, Chinese & European fare, try Vientiane Restaurant towards the Sukhumvit end of Pattaya Tai Road, right side as you head towards Sukhumvit, off Soi Korpai 1.

Great if you like sitting in a room the size of a bus station with bus loads of Chinese tourists

My Parents are visiting this week, I want to take them for a nice dinner and wine.

Visit Cafe Ritz in the Jomtien complex, great home cooked food, a good selection of reasonably priced wine, a very jovial British host and it will cost less than half your budget.

its an experience really not to be missed

you will need to book though, he is very busy and deserves to be......

Thanks

I personally felt Manhattan is nice for a nice steak dinner with class and nice jazz music. They've got good wine choice too. Their steaks are really good if you don't mind the price!

Some comments:

Second the call on Cafe Ritz. It is a very small place though and has only very limited (changing) choices every night for a set menu, if I recall correctly. Excellent value, perhaps the best value for quality in town for Euro food. Well under the OP's budget as the three course set meals are in the 300 B range.

Manhattans, I haven't been but have heard numerous reports that it has gone downhill in food quality. Very pricey and I think with bevs over the OP's budget.

Vientiane, would suggest for Asian food. Would not suggest for Euro food. I have never seen the bus tourists during my visits but there is space for them. However, there is a much smaller upstairs aircon dining room available there. I don't think this is the kind of place the OP had in mind.

If I were the OP, I would probably do Mata Hari or Au Bon Coin, as I think the Ritz being so small may not have the ambiance he is looking for.

Another poster asked for Thai food suggestions. The two open air (but covered, not posh!) Thai seafood restaurants at the very end of Jomtien Beach Road attract tourists, THAI tourists. Nuff said. Really good. Also, great prices.

Edited by Jingthing

I think that that is a bit harsh. I have never had 'crap' food at Ruen Thai. I think that my comments are more valid than yours because I live just outside Pattaya...

You are correct my impression was based on a single visit...but when I go to a restaurant and the food is crappy, I generally don't go back. I was surprised because I had heard the place was good so that's why I went. I am glad your experience has been better than mine.

I think anyone's opinions are valid...as long as they are based on their own dining experiences and not hearsay.

FYI: I have lived in LOS for a decade, the last 6 years in Patters, and I actually live in Pattaya, not outside it :o

Well I did live in and just outside Pattaya for some 12 years and visited Ruen Thai on a number of occasions, although it was back in the mid to late '90's. My opinion was that, whilst not cr@p, the food was mediocre and the whole place nothing more than a tourist trap.

I'd certainly go with Au Bon Coin although he's only open Wed to Sun inclusive and Fri-Sat nights are a must to book ahead. The only down side is it a right biatch of a place to find but is good enough that many do hence the booking recommendation though, if it's a special night, you'd book anyplace to avoid disappontment.

I know you said dinner - but I can recommend a Sunday brunch at the Benihana (Royal Garden). Price is around 1,200 per head if booked in advance (I think it's 1,500 if not booked). (check the prices as I have only been there as a guest - never had to pay myself)

This is a buffet with a good range of salads, meat and seafood, all cooked at your table by a chef/entertainer, plus breads, crackers, cheeses, fruits and sweets.

Price includes 1 bottle of wine for every 2 customers.

For dinner, I agree with another couple of posters - Cabbages and Condoms - very nice location on the beach, good service, interesting walk through the gardens to get to your table, not too pricey.

Reason for edit - forgot to say that Brunch at Benihana is 11am to 2pm (check). Early start recommended.

Edited by chickenslegs