Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

<snip>

Thitinan Pongsudhirak is NOT a political scientist, he is a biased commentator largely out of touch with mainstream society, not as bad as Giles, though.

<snip>

Dr Thitinan Pongsudhirak

Professor of Political Science

Chulalongkorn University

Dr Pongsudhirak is one of Thailand's leading analysts on politics and macro-economy. He is a Thai national, based in Bangkok, with over 14 years as a political observer and commentator of Thailand and it relations in within ASEAN. As a freelance writer, he is an outspoken columnist with the Bangkok Post and well-respected for his research credentials and analytical skills, which allows him to incorporate great depth to his presentations and to facilitate and lead discussion on economic and political developments in Thailand.

He is an accomplished writer and prolific contributor of opinion and analysis, notably currently for the Bangkok Post, but is also a former contributor to the Economist Intelligence Unit and a former contributing editor to the The Nation. He writes various papers and articles, including for the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), the European Institute of Asian Studies (EIAS), Asia Pacific Centre for Security Studies (APCSS) and the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

He is regularly interviewed on television, including CNN International, CNBC, Channel News Asia, Reuters, Bloomberg, BBC World, Al Jazeera and local Thai news stations, and frequently quoted in international press, including Financial Times, The Economist, Time, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune, New York Times, Washington Post, The Guardian, The Times, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Straits Times, Asahi Shimbun, Mainichi Shimbun, Far Eastern Economic Review etc. and also interviewed on the world's international radio stations.

He is an academic at the Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand where he is simultaneously Assistant Professor, Department of International Relations and Director of the Institute of Security and International Studies, Faculty of Political Science. He holds a PhD in International Relations from the London School of Economics, UK, a M.A. (Hons) from The John Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Washington D.C. USA and a B.A, (Hons) in Political Science from The University of California, Santa Barbara. USA.

http://www.insightbureau.com/ThitinanPongsudhirak.html

Thitinan Pongsudhirak

Thitinan Pongsudhirak (Thai: ฐิตินันท์ พงษ์สุทธิรักษ์) is a Thai political scientist and a Professor at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. He is currently a Visiting Research Fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore. Thitinan completed his PhD from the London School of Economics. He completed an M.A. from the School of Advanced International Studies of the Johns Hopkins University and B.A. from the University of California, Santa Barbara.

He was formerly Deputy Dean for International Affairs at the Faculty of Political Science of Chulalongkorn University. As a consultant for Airports of Thailand (AOT), he assisted the AOT management on its road show prior to listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. From 1998 to 2005, he has also worked for Economist Intelligence Unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thitinan_Pongsudhirak

Ooooooo - Economist Intelligence Unit!!!!! Say no more - just another one of that dastardly Sam Moon's bought-and-paid-for-stooges.......... Is there no end to what the man we must now call "SuperMoon" can achieve? :o

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods, Can we have a new thread for this.

Looks like the PAD are going to love this more and more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081219/wl_as...MTjs9k72yZvaA8F

BANGKOK (AFP) – Thailand's new prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday protesters who occupied government offices and blockaded Bangkok's airports should be held legally accountable for their actions.

Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) first took to the streets in May in their bid to unseat the previous government.

One of the leaders of the PAD is Somkiat Pongpaiboon, a member of Abhisit's Democrat Party.

"With every incident that has happened we must uphold the rule of law," Abhisit told reporters at Government House, the site besieged by protesters for two-and-a-half months, causing about one million dollars' worth of damage.

"My party member is also under the same law. I have told him not to use immunity," Abhisit added.

Democrat Party member Somkiat was among a group of PAD leaders who led thousands of protesters to occupy the compound in late August, demanding allies of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra leave government.

The PAD campaign culminated in an eight-day blockade of Bangkok's airports late November that left about 350,000 travellers stranded.

The demonstrators left their protest sites only on December 3, when a court ruling forced premier Somchai Wongsawat from office and disbanded his People Power Party, paving the way for a new coalition led by the former opposition Democrat Party.

The Democrats were forced to woo former allies of Thaksin in order to gain enough votes to form a coalition, but Abhisit told the BBC he had not "sold his soul."

"I have made very clear in my talks with all the groups that are joining me why we are putting this coalition together. We just want Thailand to move on," Abhisit said.

Abhisit is now preparing a list of cabinet members to be submitted to Thailand's king by midday Friday for approval.

Thai media speculated that the foreign minister's post could go to 64-year-old Kasit Piromya -- a controversial choice because of the former diplomat's vocal support for the PAD.

If he goes through with this, I applaud him forever.

It is statements like this that have hope in uniting the country. The light at the end of the tunnel just got a little bit brighter.

If I was one of the PAD leaders I would feel like my back just got knifed, he is going to go after the same people that put him into the PM role! Love it....

Classic!

PAD leader: I helped you to be PM. How can you punish me?

PM Ab-: Please understand. I have to be fair, good and handsome at all times. What I do in the dark doesn't matter. I am a good man in front of media (of my side) and public (not Isan).

PAD leader: Next time I'm not gonna help you.

PM Ab-: No problem. Being a PM once is enough. There won't be a next time. I don't know how long I can last now.

:o

BANGKOK (AFP) – Thailand's new prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday protesters who occupied government offices and blockaded Bangkok's airports should be held legally accountable for their actions.

Abhisit, just might prove to be a fare person.... Looks like he is going to hold the PAD accountable for there actions... It will be interesting to see if anything ever comes of it, or if this is just a PR stunt.

If I was one of the PAD leaders I would feel like my back just got knifed, he is going to go after the same people that put him into the PM role! Love it....

I wonder what the people who think the PAD did "nothing illegal" are going to say. :o:D

Abhisist is certainly furious with PAD and their occupation of all the aiprports. He must especially loath that fool Kasit Piromya (PAD leader) as he wants him as FOREIGN MINISTER.

Kasit hailed the shutdown of the capital's city's international airport, which left over 200,000 passengers stranded, as a "new innovation for public protests". http://www.bangkokpost.com/191208_News/19Dec2008_news01.php

Democrat leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva favours Mr Kasit. He told party members he needed a foreign minister who could start work immediately he takes office.

Mr Kasit appeared as a regular guest speaker at PAD rallies which demanded the removal of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

That's pretty heavy punishment dished out by the beloved Primeminister so far to teh PAD leadership.

He is regularly interviewed on television, including CNN International, CNBC, Channel News Asia, Reuters, Bloomberg, BBC World, Al Jazeera and local Thai news stations, and frequently quoted in international press, including Financial Times, The Economist, Time, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune, New York Times, Washington Post, The Guardian, The Times, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Straits Times, Asahi Shimbun, Mainichi Shimbun, Far Eastern Economic Review etc. and also interviewed on the world's international radio stations.

Just as I said, they all get their material from one biased man.

Samgrowth, EVERYONE and his dog want PAD to compensate for airport closure.

What I was saying is that no one usually asks for compensation in case of public protests.

>>>>>

Thitinan Pongsudhirak is NOT a political scientist, he is a biased commentator largely out of touch with mainstream society, not as bad as Giles, though.

I've been parroting this line for some time now - practically all western media rely on these two clowns for their reports on Thailand. All these reports get dumped in the same "Thailand" folder and get recycled and regurgitated millions of times, and then people here talk about "world opinion".

This "journalism" can't be taken seriously.

Oh, and there's no evidence of military arm-twisting coalition partners. In fact, Pua Paendin is about to break away already.

Is anyone allowed to write anything in any publication that criticises anything in Thailand (particularly PAD) without being supposedly, out of touch, biased or nuts? Is being educated at Chula, LSE and being published worldwide in popular magazines supposedly a sign of delusion and bias?

As for pro PAD articles, they tend to be rather limited in the international press. Is it maybe because the PAD stands for something that is bad or are we and the entire world's press other than ASTV out of touch and delusional also?

NBT Director: Cancellation of "Truth Today" involves no political reasons

The Director of the National Broadcasting Service of Thailand (NBT) says “Truth Today” program was not canceled because of political reasons.

NBT Director Suriyong Hunthasarn explained to protestors of the red-shirted group rallying in front of the television station that “Truth Today” was pulled off the air as NBT needed to broadcast other programs at the same airtime.

The Director affirmed the decision was made before the new government was formed.

The red-shirted group or the National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) gathered today in front of NBT to request for the television station’s reasons behind the cancellation of the controversial program.

According to the contract between NBT and “Truth Today,” NBT has the right to air other programs deemed necessary. The contract will expire on December 31st and the contract renewal depends on both the television station and the program owner.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

Just to try and simplify things,

Basically, the government (in democratic countries) makes the laws. it is the responsibility of the police to enforce those laws, and ensure that they are up-held.

The chief of police reports to the Government, then the crown.

The role of the armed forces is to protect the Crown and all of its dependents, albeit countries or citizens, from both internal and external threats!

The chiefs of the armed forces report directly to the crown, in fact in the UK the Queen IS the head of the armed forces i believe.

FF

Abhisit, just might prove to be a fare person.... Looks like he is going to hold the PAD accountable for there actions... It will be interesting to see if anything ever comes of it, or if this is just a PR stunt.

Abhisist is certainly furious with PAD and their occupation of all the aiprports. He must especially loath that fool Kasit Piromya (PAD leader) as he wants him as FOREIGN MINISTER.

Kasit hailed the shutdown of the capital's city's international airport, which left over 200,000 passengers stranded, as a "new innovation for public protests". http://www.bangkokpost.com/191208_News/19Dec2008_news01.php

Democrat leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva favours Mr Kasit. He told party members he needed a foreign minister who could start work immediately he takes office.

Mr Kasit appeared as a regular guest speaker at PAD rallies which demanded the removal of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra

That's pretty heavy punishment dished out by the beloved Primeminister so far to teh PAD leadership.

there went the light at the end of the tunnel..... I guess it is just a PR stunt....

Edited by MyphuketLife

It states he has been interviewed by those media outlets, it does not state that those media outlets only interview him regarding thai affairs... I am sure they have more than one source for all thia affairs :o

If we agree with you we are not bias, if we don't we are "bias from our western mids"

I wonder the Thai people I know that don't agree with the PAD taking of the airport saying its illegal and they should go to jail.... are they also bias? I mean they don't have "wester minds"....

Edited by MyphuketLife

I'll put you in an article Plus, you're good for four or five lines. I did a nice piece featuring Tax Exile six months back.

Maybe i'll do a piece on the Thai property market and commercial outlook in the New Year, so start thinking what message you wanna send to the world.

Thai at Heart, I'm saying is that "international" media rely on one biased, leftist commentator, and adding Giles doesn't give it any balance.

If you find some articles that are not based on Thittinan or Giles comments, tell us where.

Or are you going to argue that Thittinan is not biased?

Hmmm....I couldn't find the description of "PAD Leader" anywhere in that. Did you receive a different copy?

I did find this in your link, however, which will make for some entertaining times:

Meanwhile, the Puea Thai Party is considering Chalerm Yoobamrung for the job of Opposition Leader, Nakhon Ratchasima MP Somchai Petprasert said.

The Party's Leader, Yongyuth Wichaidith, is not an MP.

369160-1.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

I am sure they have more than one source for all thia affairs

The recent Times article was a perfect example - ALL they could say about Democrat party was a quote from Giles that they are "cockroaches".

That times article in my opinion was a opinion piece not a news article....

But what does my "western bias mind" that matches some Thai "non-western? biased mind" know anyway.... :o

Thai at Heart, I'm saying is that "international" media rely on one biased, leftist commentator, and adding Giles doesn't give it any balance.

If you find some articles that are not based on Thittinan or Giles comments, tell us where.

CURRICULUM VITAE

Name: Dr. Thitinan Pongsudhirak

Mailing Address: 36/13-14 Soi Pibulsongkram 22

Nonthaburi 11000 THAILAND

(email: [email protected])

Tel: Mobile 66-81-431 4650

EDUCATION:

2001 Ph.D., International Relations and International Political

Economy, London School of Economics

Thesis: “Crisis From Within: The Politics of

Macroeconomic Management in Thailand, 1947-97”

1992 M.A., The Johns Hopkins University

School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)

Concentrations: International Economics and

International Relations

1989 B.A. (Honours) in Political Science

The University of California at Santa Barbara

Concentration: International Relations

EXPERIENCE:

August 2006 – present Director of the Institute of Security and International

Studies (ISIS), Faculty of Political Science,

Chulalongkorn University

June 2004 – present Assistant Professor, Department of International

Relations, Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn

University

Courses taught: International political economy; survey

in international relations; social science research skills

February 2005 – present Columnist, The Bangkok Post

Contribute regular op-eds on Thai politics,

Macro-economy and foreign policy

September 2002 – June 2004 Deputy Dean for International Affairs,

Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University

June 1993 – June 2004 Lecturer, Department of International Relations

Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University

November 2005 Consultant, Preuksa Real Estate (PR)

Assisted Preuksa on its road show in preparation for

listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand

March – April 2005 Visiting Research Fellow,

Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS),

Singapore

February – March 2004 Consultant, Airports of Thailand (AOT)

Assisted the AOT on its road show in preparation for

listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand

January 1998 - 2007 The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)

Thailand Country Analyst

March 1997 – 2007 Consultant, Independent Economic Analysis (IDEA)

(Money-markets consultancy)

Country Analyst, Thai politics and macroeconomy

April 1997 – 1999 Part-time Producer/Commentator

The BBC World Service

Thai Section/East Asia Today

August - September 1997 Campaign Organiser of Overseas Thais for the

Constitution (OTC), an overseas Thai movement of

more than 3,000 members who lobbied for the passage

of Thailand’s 1997 constitution. Organized the

campaign via the Internet,

<www.public.iastate.edu/~stu_org/Thai/consti>

March - June 1994 Visiting Faculty Researcher,

University of Tuebingen, GERMANY

(Wrote a paper on comparative security organizations

between ASEAN and the EU)

September 1994 - 2004 Freelance Simultaneous Translator

(Thai-English)

September 1994 - 1996 Contributing Editor

The Nation, English-language daily newspaper

(Columnist on current Thai politics, economy, current

affairs, and foreign relations)

August 1993 - March 1994 Research Associate

Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI)

(Researched water allocation problems in Thailand)

June 1992 - June 1993 Reporter and Staff Writer, The Nation

Wrote business news stories, with emphasis on Thai

macro-economic policy, international trade and finance,

stock market, and foreign direct investment

June - August 1991 Intern, Burson-Marsteller, public-relations consultancy

AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:

November 2006 Asia Society Young Leaders Summit Delegate

March – April 2005 Visiting Research Fellowship, Institute of Southeast

Asian Studies, Singapore

2002 National Research Council of Thailand’s Ph.D.

Dissertation Prize in Political Science and Public

Administration

2001 United Kingdom’s Best Ph.D. Dissertation in

Comparative and International Politics

1996 – 1999 Harvard-Yenching Ph.D. Scholarship

1991 – 1992 SAIS M.A. Scholarship

1990 – 1991 Leonard Dalsemer M.A. Scholarship

1989 – 1990 Henry Luce Graduate Fellowship

(Southeast Asian Studies at Northern Illinois

University)

1989 B.A. Graduation with Distinction in Political Science,

University of California at Santa Barbara

1988 – 1989 University of California Undergraduate Fellowship

BOOKS:

Thailand’s Trade Policy Strategy and Capacity (in Thai), co-authored with Dr Razeen Sally,

Bangkok: Department of International Relations, Chulalongkorn University, 2008.

Ten Years After the Economic Crisis: Thai Democracy at a Three-Way Crossroads (in Thai),

Bangkok: Double AA Publishers, 2007.

Great Issues in Thailand's Public and Foreign Policies in the Next Decade (in Thai), coedited

with Abhinya Rattanamongkolmas, Bangkok: The Institute of Security and

International Studies, 1994.

ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS:

“Thaksin: Competitive Authoritarian and Flawed Dissident” in John Kane, Haig Patapan and

Benjamin Wong (eds), Dissident Democrats: The Challenge of Democratic Leadership in

Asia, New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.

“Mainland Southeast Asia, ASEAN and the Major Powers in East Asian Regional Order” in

Jun Tsunekawa (ed.), Regional Order in East Asia: ASEAN and Japan Perspectives, Tokyo:

National Institute for Defense Studies, 2007.

“World War II and Thailand After 60 Years: Legacies and Latent Side-Effects”

in David Koh (ed.), World War II: Transient and Enduring Legacies for East and Southeast

Asia 60 Years On, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2007.

“The Malay-Muslim Insurgency in Southern Thailand” in Andrew T.H. Tan (ed.), A

Handbook of Terrorism and Insurgency in Southeast Asia, Singapore: Edward Elgar, 2007.

“Thaksin’s Political Zenith and Nadir” in Southeast Asian Affairs 2006, Singapore: Institute

of Southeast Asian Studies, 2006.

“Thailand” in Russell H.K. Heng and Rahul Sen (eds), Regional Outlook: Southeast Asia,

2006-2007, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2006.

“Thai Politics After the 6 February 2005 General Election”, Trends Series, Singapore:

Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), March 2005.

“Thailand’s Foreign Policy Under the Thaksin Government”, EurAsia Bulletin, Brussels:

European Institute of Asian Studies, December 2004.

“The Rise of Bilateral Free Trade Areas in Asia” in Hank Lim and Chungly Lee (eds), The

North-South Divide: An Appraisal of Asian Regionalism, Singapore: Marshall Cavendish

Publishers, 2004.

“Globalisation and Its Thai Critics” in Yoichiro Sato (ed.) Growth and Governance in Asia,

Honolulu: Asia Pacific Centre for Security Studies, 2004.

“Thailand: Democratic Authoritarianism”, Southeast Asian Affairs 2003, Singapore: Institute

of Southeast Asian Studies, 2003.

“Small Arms Trafficking in Southeast Asia: A Perspective from Thailand” in Philips J.

Vermonte (ed.), Small Is (Not) Beautiful: The Problem of Small Arms in Southeast Asia,

Jakarta: Centre for Strategic and International Studies, 2004.

“Autonomy, Institutions, and the Baht Crisis”, in Dieter Mahneke, Kullada Kesboonchoo-

Mead, Prathoomporn Vajrasthira, and Rudolf Hrbek (eds), ASEAN and the EU in the

International Environment, Asia-Europe Studies Series Volume 4. Baden-Baden, Germany:

Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999.

“Thailand’s media: Whose watchdog?” in Kevin Hewison (ed.), Political Change in

Thailand. London: Routledge, 1997.

“ASEAN Security Imperatives: Lessons From European Security Cooperation”,

Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok: Journal of European Studies, Vol. 3, 1995.

“The Central Plains”, a chapter in Water Conflicts, Bangkok: Thailand Development

Research Institute (TDRI), 1995.

“Thailand’'s Foreign Economic Policies in An Uncertain Era: Arranging Priorities for the

21st Century” (in Thai), a chapter in Abhinya Rattanamongkolmas and Thitinan

Pongsudhirak (eds), Great Issues in Thailand’s Public and Foreign Policies in the Next

Decade (in Thai), 1994.

SELECTED OP-EDS:

The Bangkok Post, “The politics of Thaksin’s homecoming”, 29 February 2008

The Bangkok Post, “Resurgent populism under ‘B Team’”, 8 February 2008

The Bangkok Post, “Samak's prospects and longevity”, 1 February 2008

The Bangkok Post, “A grand tug-of-war still prevails”, 22 January 2008

The Bangkok Post, “When Hong Kong comes to Bangkok”, 11 January 2008

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Let the Party Begin”, 28 December 2007

The Bangkok Post, “PPP-led govt not a foregone conclusion”, 25 December 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Populism triumphs in an emerging new Thailand”, 20 December 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Thai Rak Thai’s Reincarnations To Win the Election”, 18 December 2007

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “The Resurrection of Thai Rak Thai”, 12 December 2007

The Bangkok Post, “The post-election numbers game”, 3 December 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Asean’s bang ends in a whimper”, 28 November 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Coalition govt a foregone conclusion?”, 13 November 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Thailand’s Biggest Question Mark: King Bhumibol’s Health”, 11

November 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Leadership shapes electoral landscape”, 24 October 2007

The Bangkok Post, “The junta plays a new ball game”, 10 October 2007

The Bangkok Post, “ASEAN’s failure and Thailand’s shame”, 28 September 2007

The Bangkok Post, “The Politics of Gen Sonthi’s civilian role”, 27 September 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Little good about ‘good’ coup”, 19 September 2007

South China Morning Post, “Climbing on the ruins of Thai democracy”, 6 September 2007

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “A Poor Poll”, 21 August 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Thailand’s Power Holders Put Thaksin Away”, 20 June 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Anti-Thaksin Draft Charter is a Dead End”, 30 April 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Thai junta in search of Exit Strategy”, 29 March 2007

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Thailand’s Constitutional Crisis”, 24 May 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Designed to prevent monopoly”, 20 April 2007

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “A Coup Disgraced”, 12 April 2007

The Bangkok Post, “A long road to general election day”, 10 April 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Government's baht policy in disarray”, 28 March 2007

The Bangkok Post, “CNS in search of an exit strategy”, 23 March 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Reshuffle unlikely to be PM's last”, 14 March 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Crisis of leadership hits Surayud govt”, 2 March 2007

The Irrawaddy, “Thailand’s Titanic Struggle”, February 2007

OpinionAsia.org, “Thaksin is down but still not out”, 16 February 2007

The Bangkok Post, “The Surayud govt's moral setback”, 20 February 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Bangkok's two-airport imperative”, 14 February 2007

The Bangkok Post, “CNS, govt face high stakes at Suvarnabhumi”, 12 February 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Enough is definitely not enough”, 26 January 2007

OpinionAsia, “The End of Thailand (as we know it), 20 January 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Singapore's insensitive miscalculation”, 18 January 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Legal clarity becomes policy confusion”, 13 January 2007

Asia Times Online, “Thailand’s Year of Living Dangerously”, 5 January 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Objective clear, identity murky”, 4 January 2007

The Bangkok Post, “Surayud govt's technocratic debacle”, 27 December 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Alarming constitutional preferences”, 22 December 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Alarming rifts in anti-Thaksin coalition”, 15 December 2006

Asia Times Online, “Singapore's troubled Shin Corp deal”, 13 December 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Something is odd about the coup”, 24 November 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Doing a Thaksin deepens Singapore's culpability”, 13 November 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Military losing post-coup momentum”, 2 November 2006

The Bangkok Post, “No honeymoon for the general”, 3 October 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Uphill struggle ahead for coup council”, 26 September 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Stepping in to heal the breach”, 22 September 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Political implications of election delay”, 20 September 2006

The Bangkok Post, “The politics of Suvarnabhumi Airport”, 13 September 2006

The Bangkok Post, “C-in-C's olive branch anathema to CEO”, 6 September 2006

The Irrawaddy, “Thailand at the Crossroads”, September 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Behind Thaksin's self-victimisation”, 29 August 2006

The Bangkok Post, “The Democrat party’s moment of truth”, 16 August 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Brinkmanship at nation’s expense”, 7 August 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Small step in the right direction”, 31 July 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Decree does not legitimise Thaksin”, 24 July 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Thaksin goes on the offensive” 12 July 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Coupling may exonerate TRT”, 29 June 2006

The Bangkok Post, “End of beginning in Thailand’s crisis”, 19 May 2006

The Bangkok Post, “A murky way out of the political crisis”, 5 May 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Post-Thaksin economic policy challenges”, 14 April 2006

The Bangkok Post, “The political standoff is not over”, 7 April 2006

The Bangkok Post, “PAD needs to regroup and rethink”, 29 March 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Thaksin’s endgame is now in sight”, 17 March 2006

International Herald Tribune, “Thailand: Thaksin’s challengers have responsibility, too”, 14

March 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Boycott: the easy, but wrong, way out”, 28 February 2006

The Bangkok Post, “PM must dissolve House now, or resign in disgrace later”, 24 February

The Bangkok Post, “House dissolution is best way out”, 10 February 2006

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Thai Democracy’s ‘Tumultuous Standoff’, 9 February 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Is Temasek complicit in scandal?”, 6 February 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Perception, not the substance, is vital”, 3 February 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Thaksin’s political insurance policy”, 26 January 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Thaksin’s political survival at stake”, 13 January 2006

The Bangkok Post, “Sondhi should go back to his office”, 9 December 2005

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Thai Democracy on the March”, 2-4 December 2005.

The Bangkok Post, “Egat could be Thaksin’s undoing”, 28 November 2005

The Bangkok Post, “The de-mystification of PM Thaksin”, 20 September 2005

The Bangkok Post, “Latent effects from Thailand’s brush with the great war”, 16 August

The Bangkok Post, “Thailand’s wartime balancing act”, 15 August 2005

The Irrawaddy, “A Win-Win-Win Proposition for Thaksin”, August 2005

The Bangkok Post, “What next after the emergency decree?”, 22 July 2005

The Bangkok Post, “The hawks now in complete charge”, 19 July 2005

The Bangkok Post, “’Thaksinomics’ ignores the reality”, 15 July 2005

The Bangkok Post, “The ‘little empires’ are striking back”, 28 June 2005

The Bangkok Post, “Seeing through obfuscation”, 24 May 2005

The Bangkok Post, “Bloody events have mixed legacy”, 20 May 2005

The Straits Times, “Stay the course on southern troubles”, 9 April 2005.

The Straits Times, “Thaksin’s second chance in Thailand”, 26 March 2005.

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Facing Up to Thailand’s Separatism”, 11 November 2004

The Asian Wall Street Journal, “Thaksin Flirts With Liverpool”, 26 May 2004

The Bangkok Post, “Thaksin casts a wide spell”, 19 January 2004.

Far Eastern Economic Review, “Behind Thaksin’s War on Terror”, 25 September 2003.

International Herald Tribune, “No dissent in Bangkok?”, 5 March 2002.

International Herald Tribune, “But the Prime-Minister-to-Be Could Be Ruled Out”, 10

January 2001.

International Herald Tribune, “Thailand’s Incompetent Government Cries Out for Reform,”

12 August 1997.

International Herald Tribune, “One Year After the Thai Crisis: Some Winners and Losers”, 2

July 1998.

Far Eastern Economic Review, "Avoid the 18th coup," (5th column), 4 April 1991.

*** Additional op-eds written for The Nation and Bangkok Post available on request.

----------------------

OTHER MEDIA:

TELEVISION: Commented on Thai politics and macro-economy for CNN, CNBC, BBC

World, Bloomberg TV, NHK, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Channel News Asia,

Reuters TV, AFPTV, APTV, PBS, Al Jazeera, BBC2 Newsnight Program, Canadian

Broadcasting Corporation, Star TV News, The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour (May 1992), and

local Thai TV stations 5, 9, 11, UBC8, and iTV.

PRINT AND RADIO: Quoted in The Economist, The Financial Times, The New York Times,

Time, Newsweek, Bloomberg News, International Herald Tribune, The Washington Post, The

Guardian, The Times of London, Le Figaro, Le Match, Der Spiegel, Straits Times, Today,

New Straits Times, Sydney Morning Herald, The Star, USA Today, Boston Globe, Asahi

Shimbun, Mainichi Shimbun, Kyodo News, Nikkei, Far Eastern Economic Review, Asian

Business, Reuters, AP, AFP, Bloomberg, National Public Radio, Voice of America, Radio

Singapore, Radio Australia, Radio Scotland, BBC World Service East Asia Today, and BBC

NewsHour, among other broadcast outlets

OTHER BACKGROUND DETAILS:

Languages: Thai (native); Thai and English (bilingual); French (functional)

Hobbies: Competition-level tennis

Marital Status: Married to Dr Pavida Pananond; with one daughter

With a CV like this, well, hmm, actually no. Any more than going to prep-school in England, then Eton and Oxford makes someone a blatant elitist who is out of touch with reality either.

A man this widely published and listened to across the world should I would hope have something to say. Just because you disagree with him doesn't make him out of touch or biased. And having read a couple of the books he worked on, he wasn't absolutely pro-Thaksin either.

Edited by Thai at Heart

That times article in my opinion was a opinion piece not a news article....

As if it makes a ton of difference.

It is my observation that Thittinan and Giles get quoted way too often, and without providing any "alternative" views to the readers.

In Thaiand Giles and Thittinan are alternatives themselves.

df2322.jpg

Pro-PTP Protesters to Gather at Sanam Luang Next Sunday

A key supporter of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra and former Thai Rak Thai Party executive denounced the Democrats' right to form a new coalition government. He revealed that pro-PTP protesters are scheduled to hold a mass rally at Sanam Luang next Sunday.

Former Thai Rak Thai Party executive Veera Musigapong said he believes the Democrats do not have the legitimacy to form the new government. He added that the pro-Thaksin red shirt protesters will be gathering at Sanam Luang on December 28th to protest against the new government.

- TOC / 2008-12-19

Hmmm....I couldn't find the description of "PAD Leader" anywhere in that. Did you receive a different copy?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...newsid=30087104

Recently, two prominent members of the Democrat Party were invited to join a panel discussion at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT) on the "new politics" proposed by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

One of the speakers, Kasit Piromya, was introduced by the FCCT moderator as a de-facto spokeman for the PAD.

Edited by clausewitz

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/worldhotne...newsid=30087104

Recently, two prominent members of the Democrat Party were invited to join a panel discussion at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT) on the "new politics" proposed by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

One of the speakers, Kasit Piromya, was introduced by the FCCT moderator as a de-facto spokeman for the PAD.

So from "leader" to a "de-facto spokesman," then... hmmm... ok.

Thitinan has been branded quotemeister on BP. His analysis have sonmetimes been right, sometimes wrong and sometimes in between. One problenm for foreign media is that there arent that many sources to quote and some of those potetnial sources dont want to be quoted at a time of politcal upheavel as it could affect their career!

Giles is a marxist basically and his analysis tends to follow some strain of marxist thought on history. Mostly he has been anti-government and anti-PAD although recently he has tended to be far more anti-PAD and rumour has it he has worn red

At the end of the day these guys are just as likely to make a correct analysis as any other person. Watching people like these and Baker get it all wrong over Samak was mildly amusing. However, at the end of the day the academic based world and the academic based media stress credentials and published papers etc over what the geezer on the street knows although to be honest there is no evidence to suggest that an a cademic actually knows more than the avreage guy unless you actually accpet all that academic elitism that infests western society. Oh no going off and doing a lefty analysis here Funny thing that wonder what Giles would think of his word carrying weight because he was part of an academic elite....

Truth is with politics anyone can be right or wrong and academics through overanalysis are just as likely to be right or wrong as the next person who has some knowledge of the situation and I would say most of the Thai public would qualify there.

Sits back and waits to get slaughtered by the academic and paper worshipping brigade. Oh and for the record my educational achievemnet is quite high so dont listen to everything I say.........)

For every Thittinan opinion published in the West there's at least one direct opposite, often coming from the same university, published here but ignored by Western media.

There's nothing unusual in being anti-PAD, but there's a whole different world out there that supported PAD struggle with Thaksin, the world that doesn't get any coverage in the likes of Economist or FT.

And please don't start on PAD being an isolated bunch of brainwashed numbnuts. That would be inconsistent with usual accusations of PAD having support in the palace, the military, the elites, bureaucracy, middle classes, Democrat Party, big business and what not. Thittinan might be bees knees credential wise, but those supporters are not idiots either.

In fact they just got into poistions of power in Thailand, and nearly the whole country wishes them luck, including Isanese.

These people were never given any credit in Thittinan's world, and western media by extension.

The Director of the National Broadcasting Service of Thailand (NBT) says "Truth Today" program was not canceled because of political reasons.

NBT Director Suriyong Hunthasarn explained to protestors of the red-shirted group rallying in front of the television station that "Truth Today" was pulled off the air as NBT needed to broadcast other programs at the same airtime.

The Director affirmed the decision was made before the new government was formed.

The red-shirted group or the National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) gathered today in front of NBT to request for the television station's reasons behind the cancellation of the controversial program.

According to the contract between NBT and "Truth Today," NBT has the right to air other programs deemed necessary. The contract will expire on December 31st and the contract renewal depends on both the television station and the program owner.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

yes its obviously bs isn't it.

if the PPP or whoever they are called now were in power , it would still be going no doubt about that

For every Thittinan opinion published in the West there's at least one direct opposite, often coming from the same university, published here but ignored by Western media.

There's nothing unusual in being anti-PAD, but there's a whole different world out there that supported PAD struggle with Thaksin, the world that doesn't get any coverage in the likes of Economist or FT.

And please don't start on PAD being an isolated bunch of brainwashed numbnuts. That would be inconsistent with usual accusations of PAD having support in the palace, the military, the elites, bureaucracy, middle classes, Democrat Party, big business and what not. Thittinan might be bees knees credential wise, but those supporters are not idiots either.

In fact they just got into poistions of power in Thailand, and nearly the whole country wishes them luck, including Isanese.

These people were never given any credit in Thittinan's world, and western media by extension.

Michale Nelson did quite agood critique of the western medias poor reporting of Thailand on his sovereign myth blog a while back. He is very critical of how the western media present PPP/Thaksin as being so very democratic when the truth defies this in many aspects. His opinion didnt get much mention in the western media.

hmmmm... most of the time they ALL rely on one information channel and the media simply picks up these "news" and reproduces the "news" from AP, API, UP, UPI, Reuters,ITAR-TASS, PAP, name them!

If it is/was only a media stunt time will unveil!

And most of the time, so much time has passed and/or it's goal reached, so there is no interest anymore in the aftermath unless it's a big time deal and caused large eruptions with big names involved, nobody really knows, everybody only thinks he knows....

Double checked are very few "news", mostly onlythe rally explosive stuff look at the rainbow press with what they get away... :o

But however, whatever was released and passed on as "news" will leave an impression, a picture....and what ever those "news" have been aimed at...see the internal affairs here, and some "opinions" posters think they have....where from?

Michale Nelson did quite agood critique of the western medias poor reporting of Thailand on his sovereign myth blog a while back. He is very critical of how the western media present PPP/Thaksin as being so very democratic when the truth defies this in many aspects. His opinion didnt get much mention in the western media.

You meant Michael K. Connors, right?

Edited by Samuian

The Director of the National Broadcasting Service of Thailand (NBT) says "Truth Today" program was not canceled because of political reasons.

NBT Director Suriyong Hunthasarn explained to protestors of the red-shirted group rallying in front of the television station that "Truth Today" was pulled off the air as NBT needed to broadcast other programs at the same airtime.

The red-shirted group or the National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) gathered today in front of NBT to request for the television station's reasons behind the cancellation of the controversial program.

According to the contract between NBT and "Truth Today," NBT has the right to air other programs deemed necessary. The contract will expire on December 31st and the contract renewal depends on both the television station and the program owner.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

if the PPP or whoever they are called now were in power , it would still be going no doubt about that

Naturally. However, Abhisit's offer to give equal time to the leader of the opposition on state TV is probably a good decision especially bearing in mind he was never given this. Although some would say this is a cynical ploy to get PPP or whatever they are to select Chalerm as leader who althouhg a good confrontational speaker carries immense amounts of baggage, isnt liked upcountry and may also look very confrontational to Abhisits reasonable and reconcilliatroy persona.

Truth Today was even according to many PPP supporters a shoddy propoganda piece that was poorly produced. They may be better off without it.

Thitinan has been branded quotemeister on BP. His analysis have sonmetimes been right, sometimes wrong and sometimes in between. One problenm for foreign media is that there arent that many sources to quote and some of those potetnial sources dont want to be quoted at a time of politcal upheavel as it could affect their career!

Giles is a marxist basically and his analysis tends to follow some strain of marxist thought on history. Mostly he has been anti-government and anti-PAD although recently he has tended to be far more anti-PAD and rumour has it he has worn red

At the end of the day these guys are just as likely to make a correct analysis as any other person. Watching people like these and Baker get it all wrong over Samak was mildly amusing. However, at the end of the day the academic based world and the academic based media stress credentials and published papers etc over what the geezer on the street knows although to be honest there is no evidence to suggest that an a cademic actually knows more than the avreage guy unless you actually accpet all that academic elitism that infests western society. Oh no going off and doing a lefty analysis here Funny thing that wonder what Giles would think of his word carrying weight because he was part of an academic elite....

Truth is with politics anyone can be right or wrong and academics through overanalysis are just as likely to be right or wrong as the next person who has some knowledge of the situation and I would say most of the Thai public would qualify there.

Sits back and waits to get slaughtered by the academic and paper worshipping brigade. Oh and for the record my educational achievemnet is quite high so dont listen to everything I say.........)

He has proven himself able to make a reasoned academic and journalistic opinion over quite a substantial period of time. I don't quote his CV to say that every thing he says is carte blanche true or not. The world is a myriad of grey, and to discount educated opinion as blatently biased one way or another is to close one's mind to learning and understanding. Anyone has the right to read and absorb or not.

I don't think I am qualified to knock down an academic's statements as biased simply because I don't agree. People have written all sorts of things from a left and right wing perspective in Thailand for a long time, the issues that are raised are however, are often very relevant. It is even more relevant when Thailand's politics isn't very strongly polarised to a left or right wing structure.

The distinct lack of other commentators is hardly his fault, although it is a local phenomenon to portray the doctorate holder as the all knowing all seeing seer. Political science is not the same as being an expert on the international trade for example where figures and trends can provide provable models. It is a shame if people believe anything anyone says carte blanche without bothering to see if anyone else in the world can provide an opposing view. Fortunately or unfortunately, the world's press (and no I do not believe that all of them rely solely on Giles or Thitinan) would appear to be largely against the recent PAD events. Many were against many aspects of Thaksin's government also.

He has made a career out of studying and analysing and teaching the why's and wherefores of politics. I don't have time.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Oh, how timely - there's another Thittinan's article in BP. This time he takes a swipe at Democrats.

There are quite a few controvercial points in that analysis:

"When a snap election was called shortly thereafter, Mr Abhisit, as opposition leader, boycotted the polls, setting in train the topsy-turvy electoral environment that induced unprecedented judicial activism and eventually brought on the military coup in September 2006."

There are lots of people who think that election boycott was a right and just thing to do.

There are also lots of people who think that "judicial activism" is nothing more than a sincere and much needed attempt at cleaning politics, and especially elections. What Thaksin did in April 2006 could not be left unpunished.

Or how about this, on Democrat results in 2007:

"resoundingly lost the election"

In fact Democrats got the highest number of MPs in their sixty year history and even beat PPP in party list votes, for their policies, the same policies that Thittinan described as follows:

"But the now-governing party dithered and trapped itself into an anti-Thaksin box, invariably deploring the Thaksin programmes and his rule without proclaiming what the Democrat party actually stood for."

>>>>

This man has got completely blinded by his ideological stance, a slave to his PAD hatred.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-19

Naturally. However, Abhisit's offer to give equal time to the leader of the opposition on state TV is probably a good decision especially bearing in mind he was never given this.

Just goes to show that it takes a proper government to do the proper thing.