Motorcycle Learner's Course

CanInBKK

Hey!

I'm looking to learn to ride a motorcycle and am interested in finding a course. It can be taught in Thai or English as long as it's fairly reputable. Looking for a course that teaches the "international" standards as well as the nuances of riding in Thailand. (My current experience is riding an automatic in Laos for a brief period but want to switch to riding a manual in Thailand).

Thanks.

Edited by CanInBKK

Canin i dont think you will find "international" standards here in Thailand but i do know that AP Honda sometimes do basic bike courses, check out the website. also it might pay for you to see if one of the experienced riders can give you lessons or tips. ask in the bike sub forum.

Allan

I would suggest that on your next trip back to your home take a course to learn. I doubt you will find what you're looking for here. There is no "international standard" in driving here as there is no Thai standard either. Bikers here do what they want when they want and only adhere to whatever traffic laws are in place when they know a BIB may be around the corner

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Yamaha motorcycle driver training facility on bangnatrad road a couple of kilometres past the Hua Chiew Chalermprakiet University. i have no idea as to the standard, but you can try it and at least you may gain a little knowledge and confidence.

regards

Freddie

There is a small track behind Seacon Square mall (turn left just past the mall entrance - you'll see a golf driving range sign- entrance to track is about 200 mtrs down the soi on the left ). It's open for motorcycles every morning. 300 baht to ride all morning. There is a Thai guy who gives riding lessons geared toward track riding, but i'm sure he would teach basics as well. For what its worth, last time I was there a guy was flying around on a Hayabusa. He told me he had bought it 3 days before and had never ridden anything bigger than a wave. After three mornings of lessons he had his knee down.

There is a small track behind Seacon Square mall (turn left just past the mall entrance - you'll see a golf driving range sign- entrance to track is about 200 mtrs down the soi on the left ). It's open for motorcycles every morning. 300 baht to ride all morning. There is a Thai guy who gives riding lessons geared toward track riding, but i'm sure he would teach basics as well. For what its worth, last time I was there a guy was flying around on a Hayabusa. He told me he had bought it 3 days before and had never ridden anything bigger than a wave. After three mornings of lessons he had his knee down.

I had a few lessons with that guy. His name is Ho, and most people call him Khru Ho. I don't remember exactly, but his rates are reasonable. His teaching is definitely geared towards the track. The main thing he teaches is how to handle the bike. Road rules and proper driving mentality don't come into the equation much. If you do take lessons with him (a good idea) expect to be sore the first few days :o

Hey!

Hey too!

So far nobody has come up with much so here's my bit to get you started. Helped me a lot, but free advice is worth every penny!

Find a large open space and practise

SLOW speed handling

- Straight line; with practice it is possible to just keep the wheels moving and stay upright without touching the ground with your feet. Time say 20 meters and then keep trying to INCREASE the time it takes

- Set up a slalom course, both straight and zig-zag, tighten up the course as you get better until the bike is barely moving as you go through the course and you have to make large movements of the handlebars

- figure of eights, keep tightening the radius until you have the handlebars right on the end stops (or well turned in if you have a motocross)

Braking

Get up to about 30 kms/hour and break with just the rear brake, at first normally and then repeat increasing the pressure until you can lock the back wheel and skid in a straight line to a halt, keep the wheel locked until you are at a standstill. Once you are confident with that, then add in the front brake so the front suspension dips in, but don't lock the front wheel. This is a gonad crusher. Sooner or later you will experience the rear wheel block on the roads, practicing as above will give you confidence in how to react.

And to take it a bit further, find some gravel and ride around on that to get used to the wheels slipping. But make sure you have some protective clothes/gloves first.

Getting around corners.

My first few weeks of riding a big bike were fraught, as nobody explained to me the dynamics of getting around corners at speed. "apply pressure with your knee", "lean into the curve", "steer it with your knees", and at the same time I was trying use the handlebars to steer into the corner. :o:D :D I had quite a few precarious wobbles. :D :D

IMO this is all RUBBISH advice. The trick is just apply a tiny wee bit of pressure to the handlebar grips in the horizontal plane, and apply this pressure in the OPPOSITE direction to where you want to go, so to go left push with the left and and pull with the right hand. There is barely any movement of the wheel, but the mysterious forces involved cause the bike to lean over and around you go. Straighten up by applying pressure in the opposite direction.

Once I cottoned on to this, life was a lot happier and I didn't have a major heartstopper at every corner.

"Nuances" in Thailand

Don't drink and ride, be prepared for the unexpected, go very slow if the roads are wet, and NEVER EVER go around blind corners at at a speed you can't stop at inside the distance you can see. ALWAYS look behind one more time before turning right. Do not get involved with <deleted> trying to overtake or race you. Be prepared to move quickly over to left when vehicles coming in the opposite direction move out to overtake and flash their headlights at you.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

My first few weeks of riding a big bike were fraught, as nobody explained to me the dynamics of getting around corners at speed. "apply pressure with your knee", "lean into the curve", "steer it with your knees",

Who the heck told you that? Deserves a pie in the face. The only sound advice there is lean into a curve. Doesn't tell you how to start the turn though hahaha

Hey!

I'm looking to learn to ride a motorcycle and am interested in finding a course. It can be taught in Thai or English as long as it's fairly reputable. Looking for a course that teaches the "international" standards as well as the nuances of riding in Thailand. (My current experience is riding an automatic in Laos for a brief period but want to switch to riding a manual in Thailand).

Thanks.

just remember to release the clutch very slowly when first taking off...and remember, the clutch is your friend.

riding in bangkok you have to compensate for other peoples stupidity.

The key to becoming a good rider is to learn how to ride slow. Everyone can get on a bike and charge off at speed, but the good rider will learn to ride slow, walking pace. Best to have a circuit laid out which is what Netfan referred to.

I have a DVD titled 'Ride On' from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau. It's got some good tips. The youngest son just got his learners and read the book so the DVD is available free + Au$8 postage to LOS. PM me. Or you could try the ATSB site for a download if available.

Edited by BSJ