Yingluck To Run In Chiang Mai For A House Seat

mc2

I just want to draw attention to the idea that if she is elected by people of Chiang Mai she automatically qualifies as a PM candidate.

Prime Minister is a head of the executive branch, key word being executive. He/she is expected to work very hard and be very very capable.

The only thing I know about her is that she was given a position of a CEO of a mobile phone vendor when AIS split the business. When I go to the mall, I see plenty of chain-stores selling phones, does it mean their bosses are all qualified for PMship? Guys from i-Mobile build their business from the ground up, I think they are better qualified as they have proven themselves.

Actually I think Antie Ann franchise is going strong, maybe they should be the PM. KFC, though, has a better image in terms of mass appeal. How about MK Suki?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a businesswoman, what has her career encompassed?

Surely you can find something to cut and paste about her as you have done about most of the Shinawatra clan. I thought that was your speciality.

I was hoping perhaps maybe the OP could produce something that I didn't know as what I know about her business career is not all that complimentary and I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "good news."

What are her qualifications?

What has she accomplished, on her own, in life?

Why has she never married?

What are her views on the various pressing issues now facing Thailand?

I have no idea as to the answer to any of those questions but I just cannot see the relevance of the 3rd question. Perhaps you could explain why her marital status is of any importance.

So you don't know the answer to any of the answers, either? Thank you.

Just asked out of curiosity about the 3rd question. It's just that most women her age are or have been married. It was not of much importance at all, mainly just wondering; but I will say it came to mind again after reading this...

Abhisit may be looked down upon for his connections to extreme right-wing factions, but it is good to finally see a homosexual prime minister accepted so freely.

and it just occurred that if that is what explains her life-long single status, then perhaps it'd be good for Thailand to have the first lesbian Prime Minister someday.

But anyway, as I've said, it's not of much importance really. It's a shame no one seems to know much about anything about her, yet it's supposed to be "good news" that's she's running for office.

well its "good news" for me because I support her. I was the topic starter so I can write what I want. Sorry to disappoint you.

As for the lesbian allegation , I doubt it. Why dont you admit you don't know instead of making wild assumptions.

She is first and foremost a business woman who has put her career first. Many career oriented women don't have time for family. I admit I don't know for sure but certainly a more reasonable theory than your melodramatic lesbian accusation.

Indeed you can "write what you want." I was just curious about why you wrote what you wrote. The only disappointment is that you can't seem to explain why.

I didn't make any wild assumption. I certainly don't know if she is or not a lesbian. I do know, however, that any number of life-long single women in that age bracket are of that persuasion and that's just being factual, not melodramatic. If you feel it is, perhaps you could also respond to siam4ever with that same stance. Or not, because you can certainly write what you want. It's actually a very viable explanation and I would have thought my other comments would have inferred that if it's true, then I see it as a positive step for Thailand. Why do you seem to presume I would think of it as something negative and chose to consider my comments as a "wild assumption" and "melodramatic accusation"?

I know you loathe anything and anyone related to Thaksin. And if she was elected as PM then you would be very disappointed.

But if she was a lesbian PM as you suggest, then suddenly you see it as a "positive step for Thailand". I'm not sure how that would redeem her in your eyes.

The fact is there is unfortunately still some discrimination in Thailand, people might not be comfortable supporting a lesbian PM. Negative only in that sense. Like siam4 you have no evidence just a wild and baseless assumption.

As a business woman she is in charge of successful business, also a member of various committees in education for example.

I just want to draw attention to the idea that if she is elected by people of Chiang Mai she automatically qualifies as a PM candidate.

Prime Minister is a head of the executive branch, key word being executive. He/she is expected to work very hard and be very very capable.

The only thing I know about her is that she was given a position of a CEO of a mobile phone vendor when AIS split the business. When I go to the mall, I see plenty of chain-stores selling phones, does it mean their bosses are all qualified for PMship? Guys from i-Mobile build their business from the ground up, I think they are better qualified as they have proven themselves.

Actually I think Antie Ann franchise is going strong, maybe they should be the PM. KFC, though, has a better image in terms of mass appeal. How about MK Suki?

no but it shows she has leadership and management skills. all good things for an aspiring politician.

You just might be really on to something there with that, Plus. The KFC boss might be better-suited than Yingluck.

A 1928 American presidential campaign advertisement touted a period of "Republican prosperity" that had provided a "chicken in every pot."

and Republican Party Herbert Hoover successfully won that election.

Surely you can find something to cut and paste about her as you have done about most of the Shinawatra clan. I thought that was your speciality.

I was hoping perhaps maybe the OP could produce something that I didn't know as what I know about her business career is not all that complimentary and I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "good news."

The "good news" was just my personal reaction/feeling upon reading the news, nothing specific relating to business or anything else. i hope you are satisfied.

What are her qualifications?

What has she accomplished, on her own, in life?

Why has she never married?

What are her views on the various pressing issues now facing Thailand?

I have no idea as to the answer to any of those questions but I just cannot see the relevance of the 3rd question. Perhaps you could explain why her marital status is of any importance.

So you don't know the answer to any of the answers, either? Thank you.

Just asked out of curiosity about the 3rd question. It's just that most women her age are or have been married. It was not of much importance at all, mainly just wondering; but I will say it came to mind again after reading this...

Abhisit may be looked down upon for his connections to extreme right-wing factions, but it is good to finally see a homosexual prime minister accepted so freely.

and it just occurred that if that is what explains her life-long single status, then perhaps it'd be good for Thailand to have the first lesbian Prime Minister someday.

But anyway, as I've said, it's not of much importance really. It's a shame no one seems to know much about anything about her, yet it's supposed to be "good news" that's she's running for office.

well its "good news" for me because I support her. I was the topic starter so I can write what I want. Sorry to disappoint you.

As for the lesbian allegation , I doubt it. Why dont you admit you don't know instead of making wild assumptions.

She is first and foremost a business woman who has put her career first. Many career oriented women don't have time for family. I admit I don't know for sure but certainly a more reasonable theory than your melodramatic lesbian accusation.

Indeed you can "write what you want." I was just curious about why you wrote what you wrote. The only disappointment is that you can't seem to explain why.

I didn't make any wild assumption. I certainly don't know if she is or not a lesbian. I do know, however, that any number of life-long single women in that age bracket are of that persuasion and that's just being factual, not melodramatic. If you feel it is, perhaps you could also respond to siam4ever with that same stance. Or not, because you can certainly write what you want. It's actually a very viable explanation and I would have thought my other comments would have inferred that if it's true, then I see it as a positive step for Thailand. Why do you seem to presume I would think of it as something negative and chose to consider my comments as a "wild assumption" and "melodramatic accusation"?

I know you loathe anything and anyone related to Thaksin. And if she was elected as PM then you would be very disappointed.

But if she was a lesbian PM as you suggest, then suddenly you see it as a "positive step for Thailand". I'm not sure how that would redeem her in your eyes.

The fact is there is unfortunately still some discrimination in Thailand, people might not be comfortable supporting a lesbian PM. Negative only in that sense. Like siam4 you have no evidence just a wild and baseless assumption.

As a business woman she is in charge of successful business, also a member of various committees in education for example.

Oh, so then, you do know some of the answers to my initial questions. It's a shame you hadn't mentioned these qualities in any of your earlier replies.

If she was a lesbian, it wouldn't redeem her in my eyes at all. She'd still be a woman who only worked in businesses that her brother owned and has never held a public office before. I would just view it as a positive step for Thailand that any lesbian could be elected Prime Minister.

I've already explained above why my possible and viable explanation for her being a lifelong single woman was neither "wild" nor a "baseless" assumption. Perhaps you should ask siam4ever what he is basing his assumption on, as he never said.

What committees in education is she a member of? Has she ever been in charge of a successful business that was hers or even one that didn't belong to her older brother?

as what I know about her business career is not all that complimentary

Probably good then for her that she's having a career change and going into politics.

Ahhh, I see. That is where the "good news" comes from. It's "good news" for her. I was under the misunderstanding that it was "good news" for Thailand that's she's running for MP.

The "good news" was just my personal reaction/feeling upon reading the news, nothing specific relating to business or anything else. i hope you are satisfied.

Ahhh... now I really see now. That's even clearer than the Colonel's explanation. It's good news for nothing or anything... specifically.

Thank you.

Edited by sriracha john

Has she ever been in charge of a successful business that was hers or even one that didn't belong to her older brother?

Has Abhisit? Let's face it both of them have achieved positions that are largely due to the advantages provided to them by their relatives.

She isn't PM and as far as I know she is only in contention for a house seat, so I'm not quite sure why she is being judged on her suitability for a job she isn't even in the running for. If she fills the criteria to be a suitable candidate for election, then what's the problem?

That why an outsider would be good, Yingluck is perfect. Plus she is quite attractive despite her age. I bet she spends a small fortune on beauty creams etc every week. anyway good luck to her, I am sure she will win.

With a look of total sincerity on his face & without a trace of irony in his voice, gazing into the mirror, he muttered "Yingluck is perfect. Yingluck is perfect." Over & over again.

Outsider? :o

Ahhh... now I really see now. That's even clearer than the Colonel's explanation. It's good news for nothing or anything... specifically.

Thank you.

Actually I never gave an explanation and couldn't really care less if she is an MP or not. However, no explanation (and I have yet to hear your explanation of why she isn't a suitable candidate) is probably better than questioning her suitability based on her marital status.

What committees in education is she a member of?

She is a member of the Executive review committee at SIU university.

I'll presume SIU refers to Shinawatra University and not Southern Illinois University, which is a shame because if it had been the latter, then that would actually have been something noteworthy. So, her business AND non-business career positions are both connected to her older brother's businesses. Has she ever been in any position that wasn't controlled by her brother?

Edited by sriracha john

Thank you.

Actually I never gave an explanation and couldn't really care less if she is an MP or not. However, no explanation (and I have yet to hear your explanation of why she isn't a suitable candidate) is probably better than questioning her suitability based on her marital status.

Gee... you guys answering replies to each other's posts makes it a bit confusing, but ok.

Actually, I never said she was unsuitable based on her marital status. Where did you get that impression? If there is anything worth questioning related to that, it might be mc2's posting that she was "quite attractive" as some sort of qualifier for the position of MP. Besides, prior to going into why I think she isn't a suitable candidate, I'm more interested in finding out why she is. As the thread is titled in a positive wording, it might be more advantageous to explore the positive instead of delving into the negative beforehand.

Edited by sriracha john

Has she ever been in any position that wasn't controlled by her brother?

And why would that disqualify her from being a suitable candidate? I would suspect most politicians are there as a result of family/friend networks, including our new PM.

The only reason her suitability is being discussed is because of her surname (although she is also fairly pleasing on the eye).

I'm more interested in finding out why she is. As the thread is titled in a positive wording, it might be more advantageous to explore the positive instead of delving into the negative beforehand.

Not quite sure why there has to be a positive or negative. I never said it was good news but neither do I think it is necessarily bad.

However, she looks better than pretty much any of the other MPs I have seen and to be honest she can't be much worse at the job than most have proven to be.

And why would that disqualify her from being a suitable candidate? I would suspect most politicians are there as a result of family/friend networks, including our new PM.

The only reason her suitability is being discussed is because of her surname (although she is also fairly pleasing on the eye).

I think her suitability is being discussed because her surname is the only reason she is a candidate. It was the only reason she was being considered earlier for the PTP Leader position and the only reason her cousin Chaisit was also considered earlier for the PTP Leader position. Although, granted, he has actually accomplished a few things on his own, which is more than she's ever done. I wonder why he isn't running for the position of Chiang Mai MP instead.

But if being "pleasing to the eye" is a criteria, then you must not think much of the House Speaker Chai.

Edited by sriracha john

Maybe this sort of behaviour makes her 'perfect'...

- Whilst president of AIS, Yingluck Shinawatra sold shares in AIS consistently between October 2005 and January 2006 at an average price of Bt105. She was subsequently a signatory to the sale to Temasek on January 23, 2006. The tender-offer price for minority shareholders of AIS was set at Bt75, and other AIS shareholders never again saw their share price as high as the price sold by Yingluck. The Stock Exchange of Thailand had amazingly said this was not insider trading.

- 'probed' by the Assets Examination Committee over the Bt4 billion 'soft' loan to Burma to the benefit of ShinSat. Shin Corp was the major shareholder in ShinSat, with Yingluck being a major shareholder in Shin Corp.

Perfect - yes for Thaksin. The last couple of nominees have been either weak or disloyal, maybe he will have better luck with this one.

The only thing this women will bring to Thai politics is to perpetuate the divisions that already exist.

Edited by LooseCannon

I think her suitability is being discussed because her surname is the only reason she is a candidate.

And why do you assume that? Her surname is probably the only reason we are discussing her at all but I fail to see why that should be the only reason she is a candidate.

Does she meet the eligibility criteria for an MP? If so, then she is a suitable candidate, regardless of her surname.

I'll presume SIU refers to Shinawatra University and not Southern Illinois University, which is a shame because if it had been the latter, then that would actually have been something noteworthy. So, her business AND non-business career positions are both connected to her older brother's businesses. Has she ever been in any position that wasn't controlled by her brother?

maybe you expect some superwoman. CEO of a successful company is enough on the plate I would think.

like the colonel said, most politicians are where they are today due to their connections.

yes i was referring to Shinawatra uni http://www.shinawatra.ac.th/about/Committee/erc.html

Edited by mc2

I think her suitability is being discussed because her surname is the only reason she is a candidate.

And why do you assume that? Her surname is probably the only reason we are discussing her at all but I fail to see why that should be the only reason she is a candidate.

Does she meet the eligibility criteria for an MP? If so, then she is a suitable candidate, regardless of her surname.

There are hundreds of thousands of Thais that meet the eligibility for becoming an MP. I simply was hoping we might find something positive that separates her from these multitudes of people. That is rapidly becoming apparent to be very elusive.

Ideally, just meeting the basic criteria is but a starting point for having a good and desirable MP, not it's ending point.

maybe you expect some superwoman. CEO of a successful company is enough on the plate I would think.

like the colonel said, most politicians are where they are today due to their connections.

yes i was referring to Shinawatra uni http://www.shinawatra.ac.th/about/Committee/erc.html

It'd be terrific to have a superwoman, but it's not an expectation. Just something that would justify why this is "good news" would suffice or to hear that she was able to do something positive on her own or that she had some qualifier of any sort that could raise the bar for having a good Parliament MP, but that is painfully obvious to be unachievable for her.

btw, do you know which Shin company she's currently CEO of? She's been shuffled about from one division to another that I've lost track.

Ideally, just meeting the basic criteria is but a starting point for having a good and desirable MP, not it's ending point.

I would agree with that. That's why I neither think her candidacy, at this stage, is a good or bad thing.

Ultimately the people of Chiang Mai will decide whether she is a good and desirable choice for MP and that's as it should be. Her ability as MP can only be judged on her subsequent performance (if she gets elected of course).

its widely accepted that Thai politicians all have their nose in the trough.

So this justifies installing another snout into the trough?

The Thai people deserve someone much better than this women. Devoid of any personal or professional integrity, condemned by her actions in shonky & deceptive share dealings, the somewhat attractive but deeply flawed, Yingluck deserves only to be dumped on the political scrapheap.

no but it shows she has leadership and management skills. all good things for an aspiring politician.

Korn, the probably Finance Minister, rose to the position of CEO of JP Morgan Chase through his hard work, he fully earned it.

Yingluck got the position because she was Thaksin's sister.

She became the candidate for an MP because she is Thaksin's sister, not because she was a CEO of a company no one on this board even remembers.

All this says only negative things about her leadership and management skills (only alleged at this point).