Changing Coins

girlx

has anyone ever seen one of those machines that change coins into cash here? they have them all over the US but i can't recall ever seeing one in BKK. i have a huge jar of coins i would like to change. i was told i can take it into a bank, but the teller would have to count it all by hand and they would charge me extra for that- that can't be right can it?

has anyone ever seen one of those machines that change coins into cash here? they have them all over the US but i can't recall ever seeing one in BKK. i have a huge jar of coins i would like to change. i was told i can take it into a bank, but the teller would have to count it all by hand and they would charge me extra for that- that can't be right can it?

Hey GirlX, those machines in the USA are CoinStar and they might count the coins out for you but there is a charge and usually it is on the magnitude of 10-15%..... When I had that large jar of coins while living in the USA I would just dig out a handful every day before leaving the house and paid much of my daily spending in coins. Gets rid of them fast and you don't spend all one time counting them. Also most USA banks stopped taking large quantity of coins unless you had an account with them. Then they would take your large bag of coins, a deposit slip from your account, set the bag with the deposit slip attached on a shelf only to count and add the funds to your account at a later time.

you worried about having to pay a few baht to convert all those 50 satang coins girlx or as I suspect too embarrassed to walk into a bank and change coins? :o

It's ok if you are, we all are!

Edited by bkkjames

Bag them into lots of 1B - 100B bag, 2b - 100B per bag, 5B - 100,200 or 1000B per bag, 10B - 100,200 or 1000B per bag, & most service stations or 7/11's will happily take them for payment for goods or swap for cash.

Cheers. :o

then you got to wait for the poor bugger to count it all.

do what I do, when you go out grab about 5 small coins and use them. If you have a big pile, take 10 coins.

its a good feeling fobbing off the little useless things rather than collecting them. especially the pesky satangs. i love giving them back especially to the bugger that gave it to me.

you have to be viligant though or they build up .

Edited by mc2

you worried about having to pay a few baht to convert all those 50 satang coins girlx or as I suspect too embarrassed to walk into a bank and change coins? wink.gif

no actually i was more worried about making the poor teller count it all, but if that's the way is it then oh well. you would think they would have machines to do it.

you worried about having to pay a few baht to convert all those 50 satang coins girlx or as I suspect too embarrassed to walk into a bank and change coins? wink.gif

no actually i was more worried about making the poor teller count it all, but if that's the way is it then oh well. you would think they would have machines to do it.

should put the Coinstar machines in 7-11's and split the 15% with them.

It's like we're living in the jungle, or something.

My bank supplied the bags, I bagged them up, they weighed them & the proceeds were deposited into my bank - NO COST! Although I had a bit over 1000 baht....counting those one baht coins is a bit ordinary....there was so many of them, I had both shoes off, using all eleven toes to assist with the counting & I was still losing count...grrr :o

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

You just make me remember what I did on Hello ween evening.

About 40.000 THB in coins we had.

All given to the temple.

:o

post-21826-1229608104_thumb.jpg

post-21826-1229608153_thumb.jpg

This afternoon I counted one small jar with coins, total of litlle over a 1000 THB.

Use it at gas station and indeed 7/11 is more than happy to take.

Edited by AlexLah

• 2 weeks later...

It's like we're living in the jungle, or something.

I dont worry about the "poor teller" at my bank, he gives me the bags and calls the cleaner over to help me count it up and then of course I have to give her a tip!!!!!!

As we are in the season of goodwill why dont you just give them away to those less fortunate than you - I think you will find plenty around. Alternatively find a bar willing to take them Cheap Charlies springs to mind.

Cheers BB

Never any shortage on our forums of people ready to give away others' money.

yes I am surprised they don't have that here in OZ you take them to the bank they weigh them

and as far as I know I never been charged for that :o

As we are in the season of goodwill why dont you just give them away to those less fortunate than you - I think you will find plenty around. Alternatively find a bar willing to take them Cheap Charlies springs to mind.

Cheers BB

Never any shortage on our forums of people ready to give away others' money.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
No flaming.