Registration Time For Used Bike

gregchambers

Hi all, on Thursday I got my address confirmation from the British Embassy in Chiang Mai and got both car and moto driving licences in the afternoon without any hassle - very nice people at the office BTW. I have a free second address confirmation letter from the embassy and want to use it as quickly as possible for registration of a motorcycle in my name.

Today, I did the rounds of CM dealers looking for a used bike to buy. What got me was that some dealers insisted it was impossible to transfer ownership on a used bike the same day which I believe to be totally possible and down to the dealers not wanting to go to the government office. SOme even quoted a month to do the job. For new bikes, 45 days to three months was quoted, which as far as I understand government legislation it is actually illegal to ride plateless and they have alterned things so you can get registered on a new bike quickly.

Can anyone confirm that buying a used bike from a CM dealer, registration can indeed be done the same day if the dealer is willing to get off his backside?

Also has anyone bought from an auction and do they know if the registration can be done quickly?

Used, if it has a plate and is 'in province' it cant be done in a day here it takes 2 days but I could belive other provinces may be slower about reprinting the book.. Here its one to drop the paperwork and make sure it all complies, pick the book up on the second day.

If its out of province then a provincial transfer has to happen, this can be done differently, put in your name in other province or first move province and put in your name.. Think 1 to 2 weeks if all goes well.. But maybe I was lucky with speed ??

If its a new reg as quoted a few months for the real plate to arrive but you should get a red plate issued with in province, daytime use, restrictions, most people drive on a red plate without problems.

If unplated and they are talking about adding a grey book, depends how fast they can find one and how long it takes them file off and restamp the frame !! Adding a real book to a big bike is a long drawn out process I am informed. Think 80k on a 400cc here and quoted in CM, heard 50 in BKK but that was from a shop thats been shown up as not straight.

Thanks for the info, so probably the dealers being lazy. I shall stick to my guns and insist on same day for the registration book if I find a used bike I like.

BTW the girlfirend did a transfer from Pattaya to Korat for her three year-old motorcycle, getting new plates in the process, and it was all done in an hour or so. But only after she got a local mechanic to strip off the plastic so he could take a couple of imprints of the frame number and the bike was inspected at the Korat office.

Did you even read what I wrote ??

Where I am it is not possible to do same day transfers.

And changwat transfers including new book, plate etc.. I think your confused about same day.. Unless something has radically changed from last jan think 1 - 2 weeks.

Used, if it has a plate and is 'in province' it cant be done in a day here it takes 2 days but I could belive other provinces may be slower about reprinting the book.. Here its one to drop the paperwork and make sure it all complies, pick the book up on the second day.

If its out of province then a provincial transfer has to happen, this can be done differently, put in your name in other province or first move province and put in your name.. Think 1 to 2 weeks if all goes well.. But maybe I was lucky with speed ??

If its a new reg as quoted a few months for the real plate to arrive but you should get a red plate issued with in province, daytime use, restrictions, most people drive on a red plate without problems.

If unplated and they are talking about adding a grey book, depends how fast they can find one and how long it takes them file off and restamp the frame !! Adding a real book to a big bike is a long drawn out process I am informed. Think 80k on a 400cc here and quoted in CM, heard 50 in BKK but that was from a shop thats been shown up as not straight.

I had to do it the other way round - a CM bike transferred to Pty. About 2 weeks, and 3 trips to Chonburi office! My gf did warn me! A mate is getting a CB400 registered in Bkk through a dealer and it is about 3 days.

Anyway 2 days instead of 1, big deal - just don't hand over the money until the greenbook is ready!

Livin,

Sorry mate I read cant as can, too much vitamin V ruining my eyesight, I guess. As someone else mentioned, then, retain cash until name in registration book! If the dealer will go with that.

Anyone know how long the embassy address letter is valid for, another reason I want it done quickly?

Livin,

Sorry mate I read cant as can, too much vitamin V ruining my eyesight, I guess. As someone else mentioned, then, retain cash until name in registration book! If the dealer will go with that.

Anyone know how long the embassy address letter is valid for, another reason I want it done quickly?

Phuket only accept 14 days.. Tho Pikey told me that old letters of residence were accepted in CM.

I have never known a dealer accept to put it in your name before you pay for it.

Well, then, any one know a dealer in CM they can trust - I mean trusting a Western moto dealer is a laugh, so it beggars belief that a Thai dealer dealing with a farang is going to do what he actually says once he has the dosh. I am looking for a used CBR150 or possibly Yam XR1 or Spark 135 (with the clutch option and electric start) or possibly one of older Jap 250 imports but nothing with a dodgy or no registration book. Hopefully I have a couple of weeks before I will have to bung the embassy another 1800 baht for an address letter. Too much to hope they would accept my new Thai driving licence with addresss on the back!